As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I should have had [chat] prepared!

15354565859101

Posts

  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    spool32 wrote: »
    My boss is recommending steps to troubleshoot a mac in the office.

    I need out of this job so badly, holy shit.

    boss: try turning it on and off

    to turn it off you just

    hmm

    I think it's under this little magnifying glass icon

    no, nope

    okay here it is, finder

    no wait

    Wrong. Isn't it just a key on the keyboard that looks and feels like every other key?

    I here the power button is an important part of typing.

    ignant.jpg

    Wqdwp8l.png
  • AtomikaAtomika Cinema Vampire (alleged) Trans 🏳️‍⚧️ SylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Everyone's always going on and on about black pudding, but when I ask for white pudding, I'm the racist?

    they make white pudding too

    it's basically black pudding with fat and maybe lymph and chunks of meat instead of blood

    And it's not bad, either.

    I don't like to be the girl that's all, "Ooh, same some gross organ sausage for me!," but there it is. I like it. I'll deal.

  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »
    Are there any infomercials that aren't some kind of swindling chicanery?

    i have one of these and i completely love it:

    41zKkASwQjL._SX300_.jpg

    What is it? A money clip?

    Are you an olds?

    it is a money clip

    it stores cash on one side and cards on the other

    small enough that i can keep it in my front pocket

    really well-made. i've carried it for like four years and had zero problems

    wife has a snuggie and the sleeves do actually come in handy

    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
    Feral
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Podly wrote: »
    Elendil wrote: »
    the knife is nowhere near as good as vampire weekend imo

    henchman offer -- rescinded
    nooo

    i was being ironic

    i'm not a hipster

  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    the doggie snuggie was a bit of a let down though

    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Basically, data siloing in Excel is a cyclical problem of management either not paying attention to, or not wanting to spend money on, how their departments are using technology.

    They don't pay attention to it, so they don't give their teams centralized tools, which makes it harder for teams to see what other teams are doing, which leads to dropped communication, data entry errors, and duplicated work.

    "But nobody wants to pay for centralized tools." Well, yeah. Duh. But you end up paying more with Excel silos. You pay it in non-IT labor time, but you also pay for it in IT time because eventually you're going to grow to a point where Excel silos are unworkable and now it's just going to be that much harder to clean up that data.

    "But nobody wants a bespoke Access database that only one neckbeardy IT guy knows how to support." Also true. Which is why for the vast majority of common business operations, there's some off-the-shelf software package, industry-specific software package, or some software-as-a-service that will do the gist of whatever those Excel spreadsheets are doing.

    Deebaser
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    i was being ironic

    https://db.tt/1maOm6tV

  • AtomikaAtomika Cinema Vampire (alleged) Trans 🏳️‍⚧️ SylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    Also, I saw The Grand Budapest Hotel this weekend, and it's phenomenal.


    My only gripe is the denouement, but take that away and the movie is A++.

    Oh, sure, Grand Budapest Hotel has a bad ending and it's okay, but when Mass Effect had a bad ending, all hell broke loose.

    double standards! >: (

    There's some remarkable similarities in the endings of the two, in terms of being out of place and confusing and involving the genocide of a race of space-faring robots.

  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »
    Are there any infomercials that aren't some kind of swindling chicanery?

    i have one of these and i completely love it:

    41zKkASwQjL._SX300_.jpg

    What is it? A money clip?

    Are you an olds?

    I need a money clip for Disneyland.

  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »
    Are there any infomercials that aren't some kind of swindling chicanery?

    i have one of these and i completely love it:

    41zKkASwQjL._SX300_.jpg

    What is it? A money clip?

    Are you an olds?

    it is a money clip

    it stores cash on one side and cards on the other

    small enough that i can keep it in my front pocket

    really well-made. i've carried it for like four years and had zero problems

    wife has a snuggie and the sleeves do actually come in handy

    i bought frankie one back when she was knitting

    well actually it was a slanket

    you probably haven't heard of it because it came out before the snuggie

    before it was cool

    Wqdwp8l.png
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    the doggie snuggie was a bit of a let down though

    I agree. This post lets me down

  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    My boss is recommending steps to troubleshoot a mac in the office.

    I need out of this job so badly, holy shit.

    boss: try turning it on and off

    to turn it off you just

    hmm

    I think it's under this little magnifying glass icon

    no, nope

    okay here it is, finder

    no wait

    Wrong. Isn't it just a key on the keyboard that looks and feels like every other key?

    I here the power button is an important part of typing.

    ignant.jpg

    nice pocket square

  • AtomikaAtomika Cinema Vampire (alleged) Trans 🏳️‍⚧️ SylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Tav wrote: »
    I'm seeing Grand Budapest Hotel (man that's an unfortunate acronym) in two hours and I'm stoked.

    And stoked you should be!

    Ralph Fiennes' best work.

    Atomika on
  • y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Podly wrote: »
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    Nah, it's this band that pitchfork splooges over and lots of my hipster associates were all ga-ga about. I resisted, but they kept getting so much fellatio I decided to check em. They did NOT meet expectations.

    Lol podly you were tryin 2 be 2 cool

    coked%20out%20raven.gif


    Hmm I guess it never directly mentioned it but in context you were speaking of the knife

    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    if you buy a money clip does it come with money

    Winky
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    spool32 wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »
    Are there any infomercials that aren't some kind of swindling chicanery?

    I hate boiling water, and my 'as seen on tv' pasta boat, is fucking amazing. pasta in the microwave, no fuss no muss. I dont have time to sit and watch a pot of water boil.

    I've found your problem.

    They never boil when you do that!


    (seriously you don't have to watch pasta, why are you doing that)
    (I know, that was the joke)

    I honestly have a problem with boiling water, it just takes too long. Do you put your pasta in the cold water then just throw it on till its done? When I do boil, its boil->salt the water->it quickly boils again->throw in pasta. then wait for it to cook. With the pasta boat, or microwave in general its, water + pasta in plastic container, put in microwave for 13 minutes, drain and you are done. I dont have to fuck with it and I can time it much easier with the rest of my meal.

    Like, I love mashed potatoes, but I hate boiling water so I never make them.

    DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Basically, data siloing in Excel is a cyclical problem of management either not paying attention to, or not wanting to spend money on, how their departments are using technology.

    They don't pay attention to it, so they don't give their teams centralized tools, which makes it harder for teams to see what other teams are doing, which leads to dropped communication, data entry errors, and duplicated work.

    "But nobody wants to pay for centralized tools." Well, yeah. Duh. But you end up paying more with Excel silos. You pay it in non-IT labor time, but you also pay for it in IT time because eventually you're going to grow to a point where Excel silos are unworkable and now it's just going to be that much harder to clean up that data.

    "But nobody wants a bespoke Access database that only one neckbeardy IT guy knows how to support." Also true. Which is why for the vast majority of common business operations, there's some off-the-shelf software package, industry-specific software package, or some software-as-a-service that will do the gist of whatever those Excel spreadsheets are doing.

    I'm stealing this post for my online class' discussion board

    #topratedmbaprogram

    Feral
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    Podly wrote: »
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    Nah, it's this band that pitchfork splooges over and lots of my hipster associates were all ga-ga about. I resisted, but they kept getting so much fellatio I decided to check em. They did NOT meet expectations.

    Lol podly you were tryin 2 be 2 cool

    coked%20out%20raven.gif


    Hmm I guess it never directly mentioned it but in context you were speaking of the knife

    to be fair

    i am a piece of shit

  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    Feral wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    My boss is recommending steps to troubleshoot a mac in the office.

    I need out of this job so badly, holy shit.

    boss: try turning it on and off

    to turn it off you just

    hmm

    I think it's under this little magnifying glass icon

    no, nope

    okay here it is, finder

    no wait

    Wrong. Isn't it just a key on the keyboard that looks and feels like every other key?

    I here the power button is an important part of typing.

    ignant.jpg

    nice pocket square

    thank you!

    also thank you for not pointing out the peak lapels on a single-breasted suit

    a little fashion-forward if i do say so

    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    Atomika wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    I'm seeing Grand Budapest Hotel (man that's an unfortunate acronym) in two hours and I'm stoked.

    And stoked you should be!

    Ralph Fiennes' best work.

    that is a bold claim. he's really an extraordinary actor.

    looking forward to seeing it

    Wqdwp8l.png
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Basically, data siloing in Excel is a cyclical problem of management either not paying attention to, or not wanting to spend money on, how their departments are using technology.

    They don't pay attention to it, so they don't give their teams centralized tools, which makes it harder for teams to see what other teams are doing, which leads to dropped communication, data entry errors, and duplicated work.

    "But nobody wants to pay for centralized tools." Well, yeah. Duh. But you end up paying more with Excel silos. You pay it in non-IT labor time, but you also pay for it in IT time because eventually you're going to grow to a point where Excel silos are unworkable and now it's just going to be that much harder to clean up that data.

    "But nobody wants a bespoke Access database that only one neckbeardy IT guy knows how to support." Also true. Which is why for the vast majority of common business operations, there's some off-the-shelf software package, industry-specific software package, or some software-as-a-service that will do the gist of whatever those Excel spreadsheets are doing.

    MBAs do not seem to teach skills like managing data flows within the organization

    aRkpc.gif
    Feral
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    if you buy a money clip does it come with money

    I'm basically interested in ways to obtain money at this point

    Where, uh, where can I find money?

  • VanguardVanguard A wretched country of duskRegistered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    if you buy a money clip does it come with money

    yeah but you have to pay for the refills

  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    @syndalis @Deebaser‌
    So I guess the meeting my wife had with her boss worked because the developer just sat her down and showed her how to fix the problem using VB. Your way is probably better and she is very appreciative of the advice, but the fact that this person actually took the time to communicate is a huge change so she's just going with it. Once communication is improved and management is assured her credibility isn't in question I am sure she will look into making this stuff work better and smarter, but for now this is enough. Thanks for the help.

  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    will, homegirl and i have been watching a ton of frasier these last few months

    and humor still stands up fantastically

    but those suits

    oh my god

    huge lapels

    gaudy suspenders

    mute paisly ties with striped shirts

    Irond WillDynagrip
  • AtomikaAtomika Cinema Vampire (alleged) Trans 🏳️‍⚧️ SylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »
    Are there any infomercials that aren't some kind of swindling chicanery?

    i have one of these and i completely love it:

    41zKkASwQjL._SX300_.jpg

    What is it? A money clip?

    Are you an olds?

    I need a money clip for Disneyland.

    I . . . what. Why?

  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    Elendil wrote: »
    if you buy a money clip does it come with money

    I'm basically interested in ways to obtain money at this point

    Where, uh, where can I find money?

    Services and goods can be exchanged for money!

  • DynagripDynagrip Rattlesnake on the trigger HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    PantsB wrote: »
    Wait do people actually care about college GPA anywhere in a job interview? Its the kind of thing I'd internally laugh at if brought up repeatedly in an interview

    I never put it on my resume yet it came up in every interview I did. Most of the time I was chided afterwards for not putting it on my resume since it was "a big deal" to them and could have hurt my chances had it not come up in the interview.

    They cant get this without transcripts right? Are they actually going to do this? If I am a grown ass man looking for a non entry level position, I'm really not sure how I am going to answer that question when I have ~8 years experience. I doubt I could tell them what my degree was for at that point.

    I leave it blank whenever I have to fill out one of those things. You gotta draw a line somewhere. No one will ever look or care or anything.
    Lot of employers have asked for my transcripts after hiring me.

  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    Basically, data siloing in Excel is a cyclical problem of management either not paying attention to, or not wanting to spend money on, how their departments are using technology.

    They don't pay attention to it, so they don't give their teams centralized tools, which makes it harder for teams to see what other teams are doing, which leads to dropped communication, data entry errors, and duplicated work.

    "But nobody wants to pay for centralized tools." Well, yeah. Duh. But you end up paying more with Excel silos. You pay it in non-IT labor time, but you also pay for it in IT time because eventually you're going to grow to a point where Excel silos are unworkable and now it's just going to be that much harder to clean up that data.

    "But nobody wants a bespoke Access database that only one neckbeardy IT guy knows how to support." Also true. Which is why for the vast majority of common business operations, there's some off-the-shelf software package, industry-specific software package, or some software-as-a-service that will do the gist of whatever those Excel spreadsheets are doing.

    MBAs do not seem to teach skills like managing data flows within the organization

    To be fair, "managing data" wasn't the same thing ten or twenty years ago as it is now.

  • TavTav Registered User regular
    Podly wrote: »
    will, homegirl and i have been watching a ton of frasier these last few months

    and humor still stands up fantastically

    but those suits

    oh my god

    huge lapels

    gaudy suspenders

    mute paisly ties with striped shirts

    i think this is the whitest post ever

    Podly
  • PantsBPantsB Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    Some creepy Munchhausen's crap going on there.

    That's not what that means

    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    @syndalis @Deebaser‌
    So I guess the meeting my wife had with her boss worked because the developer just sat her down and showed her how to fix the problem using VB. Your way is probably better and she is very appreciative of the advice, but the fact that this person actually took the time to communicate is a huge change so she's just going with it. Once communication is improved and management is assured her credibility isn't in question I am sure she will look into making this stuff work better and smarter, but for now this is enough. Thanks for the help.

    ultimately, as long as the data is accurate and the reports are good, who cares how it got there.

    Glad it all worked out for her.

    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Podly wrote: »
    Elendil wrote: »
    the knife is nowhere near as good as vampire weekend imo

    henchman offer -- rescinded
    Put him in a body bag Poldy! Yeah!

  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    Elendil wrote: »
    if you buy a money clip does it come with money

    I'm basically interested in ways to obtain money at this point

    Where, uh, where can I find money?

    I know an alley where you can close your eyes, suck on a hose and cash appeears in your pocket.

  • AtomikaAtomika Cinema Vampire (alleged) Trans 🏳️‍⚧️ SylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    I'm seeing Grand Budapest Hotel (man that's an unfortunate acronym) in two hours and I'm stoked.

    And stoked you should be!

    Ralph Fiennes' best work.

    that is a bold claim. he's really an extraordinary actor.

    looking forward to seeing it

    It's a goddamned shame his talents as a funnyman have gone so infrequently employed.

    He seriously could be this generation's Peter Sellers.

  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    Podly wrote: »
    will, homegirl and i have been watching a ton of frasier these last few months

    and humor still stands up fantastically

    but those suits

    oh my god

    huge lapels

    gaudy suspenders

    mute paisly ties with striped shirts

    weah the eighties and nineties were a terrible time for suiting. even today if you're picking thru thrift store suiting you need to be real careful of the lapels and shoulder pads.

    like the 70s stuff is obvious but the 80s stuff might look fine - like a 50s or 60s coat - until you try it on and you look like max headroom with pleated balloon trousers.

    Wqdwp8l.png
    Podly
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    Podly wrote: »
    will, homegirl and i have been watching a ton of frasier these last few months

    and humor still stands up fantastically

    but those suits

    oh my god

    huge lapels

    gaudy suspenders

    mute paisly ties with striped shirts

    i think this is the whitest post ever

    oh most definitely

  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    Elendil wrote: »
    if you buy a money clip does it come with money

    I'm basically interested in ways to obtain money at this point

    Where, uh, where can I find money?

    I know an alley where you can close your eyes, suck on a hose and cash appeears in your pocket.

    They also franchised a restaurant in front of these alleys, but the stuff in the hose is better for you, generally.

    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    I like my wallet better than a money clip.

    It even fits in my pants easy.

This discussion has been closed.