As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I should have had [chat] prepared!

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Why am I suddenly brainstorming about a career change? My job is great!

Fak

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    My boss is recommending steps to troubleshoot a mac in the office.

I need out of this job so badly, holy shit.

uh spool you cannot troubleshoot a mac because macs cannot break fyi hth

well the first part is true...

don't be so hard on yourself bro

I'm sure there's something out there you can troubleshoot.

He's texan.

Shootin' trouble is par for the course!

It's true.

Computers, plumbing, business negotiations . . .

If it can't be solved with the business end of a .45, Texas don't want to solve it.

Butt end is acceptable for delicate work.

This is true. My wife creates frail little fondant rose blossoms with the grip of her S&W.

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    Some creepy Munchhausen's crap going on there.

That's not what that means
    Munchhausen's-by-proxy: a relatively rare form of child abuse that involves the exaggeration or fabrication of illnesses or symptoms by a primary caretaker.

Typically, the cause is a need for attention and sympathy from doctors, nurses, and other professionals.

Rust Cohle explains it all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou6830u-k5I

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    SIG I was going to say you Dumptruckitis.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »

Someone give this crazy bastard a grant!

That was the coldest shit ever put on television, bar none.

Drawing that confession out of that woman and then be all, "So, yeah, you're pretty much toast now. You probably should just kill yourself."

• PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »

MBAs do not seem to teach skills

Shots fired!

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited March 2014

I heard this on the radio this morning. Great story :)

Best part, IMO:

"Farquhar is now 81 years old. He's been called the master of getting to places. His genius is inventing esoteric flight plans that take advantage of gravitational boosts from the moon and close flybys of Earth to send space probes zipping around the solar system in surprising ways. He's so adept at calculating these exotic trajectories that often, just for fun, he's made sure that key mission events fall on birthdays or anniversaries."

spool32 on
  • y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Actually I hope no one reads any of my posts, ever

They are embarrassing even to this very moment

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
    Oh, hey. Sim City: The Version You Actually Wanted comes out today.

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    so you can make the cities bigger than a decent sized public swimming pool and don't have to be online?

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    SIG I was going to say you Dumptruckitis.

i read that as dumptricktits

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular

I heard this on the radio this morning. Great story :)

Best part, IMO:

"Farquhar is now 81 years old. He's been called the master of getting to places. His genius is inventing esoteric flight plans that take advantage of gravitational boosts from the moon and close flybys of Earth to send space probes zipping around the solar system in surprising ways. He's so adept at calculating these exotic trajectories that often, just for fun, he's made sure that key mission events fall on birthdays or anniversaries."

This motherfucker sounds like he's from the Spacing Guild.

I bet he's hopped up on melange.

so you can make the cities bigger than a decent sized public swimming pool and don't have to be online?

The second part.

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »

Fak

I was doing this a few hours ago and reached a similar conclusion.

Well, at least the latter.

I actually haven't played Sim City since the nineties.

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular

The maps are still small. It fixes the like one thing that didn't need to be fixed, though. So yay?

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular

Fak

muahaha?

• kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    my molecular bio class/lab actually strove to teach modern techniques being used by companies at the time

too bad dudes pay double a lab worker's pay to google old folk's computer problems while bein all official-like

haha yesssssss

what are you brainstorming tell me

@stevemarks44‌ are you pdx now

IIRC the cities in sim city were about twice as wide as my morning walk to the subway.

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    @so it goes

help me brainstorm

poo
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    yeah, freshman year college was basically the year i went from "electronic music is stupid" to "well if they're like a cool hipster rock band that uses synths, that's pretty cool!" to "untz untz untz untz"

like, DFA used to be the coolest label in the world to me

but i'm listening to the single from the new shit robot album

and i'm like

god

this is derivative as hell and not very good at all

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    edited March 2014
    Characterizing an adult child with CP as a special needs child is at worst an exaggeration. Its fairly likely a person with CP actually was in special needs classes, so its probably not even really that. Munchhausen-by-proxy involves inducing a medical condition (or death) and/or seeking medical treatment for a non-existent condition. It often involves killing your children. Its pretty unfair to make that comparison regardless of whether she's a weirdo or trashy or whatever.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Speaking of silly data stuff:
    Remember that post about the horrible spreadsheet rules, verifying each and every use of one? I can one-up that now.

They have opted to apply the 'prove all calculations are performed correctly' SOP rules to our software as well, including our commercial statistics package: Minitab. In short, before we can use Minitab for any GMP purposes, we have to prove that it generates the correct outputs. For everything. In all contexts. For all inputs. (The problem's obvious, right?)

Yep... the CSV group has informed us that we cannot use Minitab for any official purposes until it is proven that the software's outputs match a hand-calculated verification study for each and every possible numerical combination. This is impossible, as those are (no duh) literally infinite.

We have no functioning statistical package now, and our control-charting / production history group has slammed on the brakes and ceased all work as they can no longer do their jobs. I cannot use any advanced statistics in any report now unless it's something I can do in excel (using those same shitty old rules I posted about for spreadsheet verification each and every time).

I am in Hell.

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Podly wrote: »
    yeah, freshman year college was basically the year i went from "electronic music is stupid" to "well if they're like a cool hipster rock band that uses synths, that's pretty cool!" to "untz untz untz untz"

and i'm like

god

i like the new real estate album

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    The New SimCity has better traffic, less obnoxious AI routines, allows for modding (of offline only games), but is still stuck with the incredibly small map size, and no way to create larger regions, even with offline modding.

This version is pretty much a wash, they need to move on to the next simcity and listen to the desires of the end users. Sims AI doesn't need to be nearly as complex... just give us shiny graphics and a slightly-less gameable economy, in a world with the scale of SimCity 2000.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
    PantsB wrote: »
    Characterizing an adult child with CP as a special needs child is at worst an exaggeration. Its fairly likely a person with CP actually was in special needs classes, so its probably not even really that. Munchhausen-by-proxy involves inducing a medical condition (or death) and/or seeking medical treatment for a non-existent condition. It often involves killing your children. Its pretty unfair to make that comparison regardless of whether she's a weirdo or trashy or whatever.

CP = Cerebral Palsy?

buzz osborne continues to be the most frightening looking person ever

he is fat sideshow bob, basically

• PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »

and i'm like

god

yeah real estate is one of those bands that would have been my JAM 10 years ago

and they're good!

but not my cup of tea no mo

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    The New SimCity has better traffic, less obnoxious AI routines, allows for modding (of offline only games), but is still stuck with the incredibly small map size, and no way to create larger regions, even with offline modding.

This version is pretty much a wash, they need to move on to the next simcity and listen to the desires of the end users. Sims AI doesn't need to be nearly as complex... just give us shiny graphics and a slightly-less gameable economy, in a world with the scale of SimCity 2000.

hmm. have any team leaders actually been rotated out simcity? otherwise Next Simcity will just be a rehash, really.

aRkpc.gif
    edited March 2014
    I've actually been playing SimCity a lot over the last couple of weeks.

It has some interesting breakpoints in it. Like:

Before you get a university and some decent education, you can only let your factories grow so big. The maximum density is impossible because it will (or one will, then the next one, in succession) always and I mean always, break out in a Hazmat fire. Not "it happens a lot". More like "the game won't let you build that big yet". It's constant and never-ending. Normal fire stations can't put them out.

You need to level up to City Hall, build a Dept. of Education, buy the big fire dept, build a university, unlock university level 2 (over 1000 students in a day), build a College of Engineering, THEN build the hazmat truck at the big fire depot. Then you can let your factories go to max density.

This is really no big deal if you have three or four people on your map, of course. You can have one guy grow his town to City Hall size and unlock the Dept. of Ed, someone else build the university, someone else build a big FD and share his hazmat trucks with the region.

Trying to do all that shit yourself though, holy crap! It is challenging to get it all done a single city, especially if you want a fairly residential-friendly city on a map with few natural resources. The level of population growth you need requires a sewage treatment plant, a big municipal water facility, and more than $20k/hr in income, and a shit-ton of power.

spool32 on
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Speaking of silly data stuff:
    Remember that post about the horrible spreadsheet rules, verifying each and every use of one? I can one-up that now.

They have opted to apply the 'prove all calculations are performed correctly' SOP rules to our software as well, including our commercial statistics package: Minitab. In short, before we can use Minitab for any GMP purposes, we have to prove that it generates the correct outputs. For everything. In all contexts. For all inputs. (The problem's obvious, right?)

Yep... the CSV group has informed us that we cannot use Minitab for any official purposes until it is proven that the software's outputs match a hand-calculated verification study for each and every possible numerical combination. This is impossible, as those are (no duh) literally infinite.

We have no functioning statistical package now, and our control-charting / production history group has slammed on the brakes and ceased all work as they can no longer do their jobs. I cannot use any advanced statistics in any report now unless it's something I can do in excel (using those same shitty old rules I posted about for spreadsheet verification each and every time).

I am in Hell.

Who verified excel is always correct?

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

oooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh?

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    edited March 2014

Fak

You've been spending too much time with @skippydumptruck, clearly.

EDIT: this is what I get for not reading the rest of the page. So slooooooow

shalmelo on
    Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
    Vanguard wrote: »

and i'm like

god

yeah real estate is one of those bands that would have been my JAM 10 years ago

and they're good!

but not my cup of tea no mo

for sure

and like, they basically have just been making the same album all these years

perfecting the formula a little more each time

My point is that I'm not sure how this is even going to work in offline mode. I guess you'll need to swap back and forth between city plots, because the resources to do it all in a single locale are maybe just not possible to get in the game they delivered.

This discussion has been closed.