As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I should have had [chat] prepared!

• Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    “Whether it’s the pioneer in the Conestoga wagon or someone coming here in the 1920s from southern Italy, there was this idea in America that if you worked hard and you showed real grit, that you could be successful,” he said. “Strangely, we’ve now forgotten that. People who have an easy time of things, who get 800s on their SAT’s, I worry that those people get feedback that everything they’re doing is great. And I think as a result, we are actually setting them up for long-term failure. When that person suddenly has to face up to a difficult moment, then I think they’re screwed, to be honest. I don’t think they’ve grown the capacities to be able to handle that.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/18/magazine/what-if-the-secret-to-success-is-failure.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

@Irond Will@spool32‌ boner alert

also @Shazkar Shadowstorm@desc @eddy @Organichu‌ we have talked about this stuff before

yeah this was a real problem for me in elementary school. got pulled out and put in all these "gifted" classes by virtue of the fact that i was "smart" and then i didn't have to do the scut work that the regular kids did.

after all, that kind of scut work was "boring" to a smart kid like me.

so you can see in that a single lesson that says that your intrinsic intelligence is more important than your willingness to work. and from there forward there was this kind of psychological incentive to blow off the scut work - call it boring - in order to emphasize the really important thing: that i'm an intrinsically smart kid and above that shit.

it's a really shitty lesson and i have struggled my entire life to get past it. in the end, you are worth what you contribute to the world through work and deeds and not what your potential and intelligence and inner life and perfectly cultivated tastes and opinions and values are.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    Podly wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Podly wrote: »
    i need more friends my own age

75% of my friends are close to or over 40

lets hang out pods

i'll be heading to my parents place within the next few weeks, we should def get drinks

or next time you come to nyc i'll take you to meet your doppleganger

drop me a line when you're around. we can go out or drink at my place.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    skooples i feel u blud

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    kaleedity wrote: »
    today marks the death of a market

diablo 3's auction house has officially closed

I really can't complain, as I made so much money. But if they had implemented segregated markets for ladder leagues with a RMAH and seasonal gear to keep the economy going instead of a single race to the bottom, I could have quit my job. Maybe I will do a write up one day on the databases and systems I built to manage all of it.

steam_sig.png
  • HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »

This is a good post to come home to. *dance*

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    If dogs were the first domesticated animals then explain women

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    If dogs were the first domesticated animals then explain women

Cleveland_Brown.png

constant adulation from adults when i was a kid totally undermined any chance i had of developing a strong work ethic in terms of academia. it sucks dick. still working many years later to fix it.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Woahwoah,

Toxoplasms are a real goddamn thing not something chat just made up about cat-people?

Now I know you cat people are truly all crazy.

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    “Whether it’s the pioneer in the Conestoga wagon or someone coming here in the 1920s from southern Italy, there was this idea in America that if you worked hard and you showed real grit, that you could be successful,” he said. “Strangely, we’ve now forgotten that. People who have an easy time of things, who get 800s on their SAT’s, I worry that those people get feedback that everything they’re doing is great. And I think as a result, we are actually setting them up for long-term failure. When that person suddenly has to face up to a difficult moment, then I think they’re screwed, to be honest. I don’t think they’ve grown the capacities to be able to handle that.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/18/magazine/what-if-the-secret-to-success-is-failure.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

also @Shazkar Shadowstorm@desc @eddy @Organichu‌ we have talked about this stuff before

/me clicks article
    ctrl+f
    type in 'dweck'
    no results

read dis: http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/23/opinion/fear-failure-kelsey/

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    a Countr rules a Country if a Count rules a County.

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    HSsoitgoes_zpsbd78cd86.png

kaleedity wrote: »
    man next week is going to be terrible

on the same day, new blazblue and new diablo expansion, and I still haven't finished the new shadowrun

I've been playing a fair amount of Diablo 3 since Blizzard came back, hat in hand, and said "We're sorry, here's the game you wanted."

and it turns out, it actually is the game I wanted

so now I'm buying their expansion

looking forward to new dungeons and bad dudes to beat up and new treasure and

honestly

looking forward to whatever terrifying abortion of a plot they put together, because I'm not sure if they can top the remarkable idiocy of the Diablo 3 storyline but you always count on Blizzard to come back to a game and improve on their prior efforts

i liked D3 well enough on the PC. probably would have picked up the expansion

but then i bought it for 360 and loved it. like, everything that was kind of tedious about the clickyclick PC version and auctionhouse negating the point of progress was just not present. playing with bros was satisfying and easy. it was just fun.

so i am going to wait for the console release.

xbone pls

Wqdwp8l.png
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Touch the spindle muahaha

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    constant adulation from adults when i was a kid totally undermined any chance i had of developing a strong work ethic in terms of academia. it sucks dick. still working many years later to fix it.

right? fuck that

OH MY GOD YOU'RE SO SMART BLAH BLAH shut up, now it's a pain in the ass whenever I have work that I'm not automatically good at and I get frustrated or think something's wrong with me if I don't understand it immediately

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I wish somebody would do something about how bad my work ethic is.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

I externalize all my flaws because that's how my parents raised me.

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

right? fuck that

OH MY GOD YOU'RE SO SMART BLAH BLAH shut up, now it's a pain in the ass whenever I have work that I'm not automatically good at and I get frustrated or think something's wrong with me if I don't understand it immediately

it's usually this

• Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    I misheard our partner on the conference call and thought he said our client's name was 'Mork' not 'Mark.'

So i called him Mork for an hour

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k

right? fuck that

so much would have been fixed by going to a more challenging school (with a more committed set of peers)

but not everyone has that option i guess

thus years of remedial habits to learn at the wrong time

• PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular

Its true. I didn't learn to work hard until well into my college career because I could get 99+% on any standardized test, ace any honors/AP test in HS and didn't care if not doing homework brought my overall grade down to a B/C. I was openly called lazy and laughed it off. Since I was still doing better than most it was tough to really put pressure on me. In college I could still ace gen ed stuff, but other classes weren't really test/research paper based or were actually on challenging material.

As much as we as a society need to make sure we help the special ed kids or the (to be blunt) dumb kids have a chance to succeed, I also think its important to keep kids challenged and not coasting. Even if you're just challenging their ego through competition with other gifted students, it would potentially help people get over those hurdles.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Billionaire Home Depot Founder Compares Obama To Hitler

A more interesting headline would be "Billionaire Home Depot Founder Learns Lesson From Progressive Street Protest Signs"

This guy that keeps scheduling meetings for my team and asking for weekly reports on what we all do is trying to transition to the Unix department

I'm legitimately worried they're going to bump me off and replace me with him as a full time salaried Unix guy

ofc then they'll be down one DBA and I can do that too

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    SiG, now I need to make a card game with Brad Pitt Minions. Thanks a lot!

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular

right? fuck that

it's usually this

A poet WOULD say this. "They don't get my art so THEY'RE broken"

I'm screwed because nobody ever taught me to take responsibility for myself.

• CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Today, at the tender age of twenty six, I may have earned my man card. I correctly diagnosed a fault with a vehicle and fixed it.

I MENDED SOMTHING.

I'd cry with happiness but you know, I'm a man now and all that jazz.

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    gifted class was seven years in learning just how mediocre i was, so I daresay your class didn't challenge you enough

aRkpc.gif
  • TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular

right? fuck that

Have you tried just being automatically good at everything?

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
    Casual wrote: »
    Today, at the tender age of twenty six, I may have earned my man card. I correctly diagnosed a fault with a vehicle and fixed it.

I MENDED SOMTHING.

at least you're not a black man, you wouldn't even get to smile

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »

yeah this was a real problem for me in elementary school. got pulled out and put in all these "gifted" classes by virtue of the fact that i was "smart" and then i didn't have to do the scut work that the regular kids did.

after all, that kind of scut work was "boring" to a smart kid like me.

so you can see in that a single lesson that says that your intrinsic intelligence is more important than your willingness to work. and from there forward there was this kind of psychological incentive to blow off the scut work - call it boring - in order to emphasize the really important thing: that i'm an intrinsically smart kid and above that shit.

it's a really shitty lesson and i have struggled my entire life to get past it. in the end, you are worth what you contribute to the world through work and deeds and not what your potential and intelligence and inner life and perfectly cultivated tastes and opinions and values are.

We took this lesson to heart because it made for some serious challenges in our own lives too. Our kids have never been told they were smart by us, and always praised for their effort and achievement, not for their potential.

It's been like swimming upriver though. I don't think our daughter is immune from it, but I'm pretty sure the boys are.

ronya wrote: »
    gifted class was seven years in learning just how mediocre i was, so I daresay your class didn't challenge you enough

Not being picked in the Gifted class in primary school probably helped make me all fucked up...

Ironically, being picked in there would probably have done equal amounts of harm.

right? fuck that

so much would have been fixed by going to a more challenging school (with a more committed set of peers)

but not everyone has that option i guess

thus years of remedial habits to learn at the wrong time

I didn't study for a test until like my second year of college and found I wasn't very good at studying

I blame public education

• HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »

I MENDED SOMTHING.

Did you fix your scooter?

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    /me clicks article
    ctrl+f
    type in 'dweck'
    no results

read dis: http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/23/opinion/fear-failure-kelsey/

two things

one, the first article was kinda about the value of failure in developing the mental toughness needed for success, vs kids who kinda skate through on the strength of "intelligence" -- which we've talked about before in chat and I think is interesting personally and as a parent obvi

two, I don't think I like this second article it's very kitchen sink to me -- swot analysis, dividing tasks based on urgency/importance, let's just grab a chapter from a management book here and one from a self help book there and voila an article

edited March 2014
    like, calculus 2 has been one of the most upsetting things in my life. you spend all this time just 'getting' things quicker than everyone else, not needing to study etc.

then you're like o that was a real small pond i was in i guess. here i am at a community college- so not exactly the most demanding sieve for talent- and i feel like everyone in my math classes is better equipped than i am.

it makes you (me at least) feel really dumb. thought i was the smart kid. turns out i am not- or at least, if i am sort of a smart kid, being a smart kid is not in itself enough to accomplish difficult tasks in life. the ability these other kids have to effectively study and apply themselves is worth significantly more than my ability to do hard arithmetic in my head or remember lots of facts.

in this world chu is the stupid one!

Organichu on
    Ludious wrote: »

right? fuck that

it's usually this

A poet WOULD say this. "They don't get my art so THEY'RE broken"

it's not that nobody gets my work

it's that nobody reads it

let's not put the cart before the horse

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    i only got to experience the "ahahaha coasting through exams LIKE A BOSS" after I got asked to leave for academic non-performance and switched to a sixth form college in the uk

aRkpc.gif
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular

I was always told I was super-intelligent and destined for great things, but then my parents shot down everything I ever showed interest in and made me feel humiliated for liking those things.

It was kinda shitty of them, then, years later to harp on me for not knowing what I wanted to do with my life.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Woahwoah,

Toxoplasms are a real goddamn thing not something chat just made up about cat-people?

Now I know you cat people are truly all crazy.

Brain parasites are odd.

There are theories that it mimics what happens in rodents with humans and makes them extremely cat friendly.

I can't see the appeal to cats in general.

You want something to pet, you get a dog.

You want someone to snub you all passive aggressively when you ask them to not puke on the carpet or take a shit in the corner, you get a female roommate.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
This discussion has been closed.