As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I should have had [chat] prepared!

15960626465101

Posts

  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    I was in the gifted class and the first time I encountered anything remotely challenging "Algebra" I gave up instantly. I was a victim of my own lazy ego.

    To this day math still vexes and terrifies me.

    spool32
  • CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Haphazard wrote: »
    Casual wrote: »
    Today, at the tender age of twenty six, I may have earned my man card. I correctly diagnosed a fault with a vehicle and fixed it.

    I MENDED SOMTHING.

    I'd cry with happiness but you know, I'm a man now and all that jazz.
    Did you fix your scooter?

    Naw man. Far more manly than that. I fixed an ATV.

    Haphazard
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I was told I was smart in school.

    This led to extra work on top of other work.

    I also kind of had the Asian parent syndrome at home where my folks expected me to do well and there were consequences for being lazy. I was still lazy because bleh on school work.

    Then I got to college, almost flunked out my first year. Pull my head out of my ass and went from a 2.1 gpa to a 2.98 by the end. Always took extra classes and made sure I did my work ahead of time.

    Basically took almost failing and fucking up my life to make me realize I had to work at shit. Luckily it happened when I was 19.

    Also calc made me realize this but by the time college came around I was still being dumb even though calc 1 and 2 I realized I had to work my ass off to pull Bs.

    u7stthr17eud.png
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    ronya wrote: »
    gifted class was seven years in learning just how mediocre i was, so I daresay your class didn't challenge you enough

    public school gifted classes in the US are only incrementally more challenging than regular classes, at least at the pre-middle-school level (age 11 and younger)

    Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

    the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    Irond Will
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    ronya wrote: »
    gifted class was seven years in learning just how mediocre i was, so I daresay your class didn't challenge you enough

    I joined the "gifted program" in sixth grade and while the work certainly became challenging, it really was mostly just an order of magnitude more homework, so I went back to regular school because screw that

    educators at least in the midwest think more homework is a substitute for a stimulating education

    override367 on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    Feral wrote: »
    I'm screwed because nobody ever taught me to take responsibility for myself.

    right i mean it definitely has elements of "i'm a fuckup because of other people" etc

    but seriously those are some bad lessons to teach a kid and in retrospect i can see that they had a profoundly negative influence on how i did in school

    they say that in general the highest achievers in life - the highest earners, the first to get promoted, etc - are kids who come in above average intelligence or ability without being really way above average - like one sigma talented.

    i dunno. i'm not really blaming other people - the programs were really well-intentioned and i appreciate that. and at this point it's my responsibility to overcome whatever bad habits i've gotten into.

    but i also think it's really something that should be given serious thought in education programs.

    Wqdwp8l.png
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Woahwoah,

    Toxoplasms are a real goddamn thing not something chat just made up about cat-people?

    Now I know you cat people are truly all crazy.

    Brain parasites are odd.

    There are theories that it mimics what happens in rodents with humans and makes them extremely cat friendly.

    I can't see the appeal to cats in general.

    You want something to pet, you get a dog.

    You want someone to snub you all passive aggressively when you ask them to not puking on the carpet or taking a shit in the corner, you get a female roommate.

    my cat adores me

    she plays fetch

    sleeps on top of me or my +1 or under the covers with us

    demands time on our lap to be pet

    nothing passive aggressive about it

    TL DR
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    My internet is fixed. I hope everyone hasn't stopped playing titian fall and lol already

    spool32
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    /me clicks article
    ctrl+f
    type in 'dweck'
    no results

    read dis: http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/23/opinion/fear-failure-kelsey/

    two things

    one, the first article was kinda about the value of failure in developing the mental toughness needed for success, vs kids who kinda skate through on the strength of "intelligence" -- which we've talked about before in chat and I think is interesting personally and as a parent obvi

    two, I don't think I like this second article it's very kitchen sink to me -- swot analysis, dividing tasks based on urgency/importance, let's just grab a chapter from a management book here and one from a self help book there and voila an article

    oh i don't have a problem with your article at all

    I agree with it.

    I just take every opportunity to pimp a researcher I like: Carol Dweck, who studies exactly the phenomenon you describe above. I just picked one random article that mentioned her.

    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

    the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    If only there was a phd program in star trek trivia I'd be writing peer reviewed papers and shit

  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    constant adulation from adults when i was a kid totally undermined any chance i had of developing a strong work ethic in terms of academia. it sucks dick. still working many years later to fix it.

    right? fuck that

    OH MY GOD YOU'RE SO SMART BLAH BLAH shut up, now it's a pain in the ass whenever I have work that I'm not automatically good at and I get frustrated or think something's wrong with me if I don't understand it immediately

    it's usually this

    A poet WOULD say this. "They don't get my art so THEY'RE broken"

    it's not that nobody gets my work

    it's that nobody reads it

    let's not put the cart before the horse

    Is any of your work in limerick form?

  • P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    i took multivar calc/ linear algebra in high school sorta as a result of being in a gifted program
    /e: i also had over 4.0 gpa and took 13 APs and didn't get into the school i wanted to #wheredaprivilegeat

    P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    Woahwoah,

    Toxoplasms are a real goddamn thing not something chat just made up about cat-people?

    Now I know you cat people are truly all crazy.

    Brain parasites are odd.

    There are theories that it mimics what happens in rodents with humans and makes them extremely cat friendly.

    I can't see the appeal to cats in general.

    You want something to pet, you get a dog.

    You want someone to snub you all passive aggressively when you ask them to not puking on the carpet or taking a shit in the corner, you get a female roommate.

    my cat adores me

    she plays fetch

    sleeps on top of me or my +1 or under the covers with us

    demands time on our lap to be pet

    nothing passive aggressive about it

    You're so smitten with that kitten you fail to see the obvious danger.

    Cats have been known to devour your soul when they sleep with you.

    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    DemonStacey
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    My internet is fixed. I hope everyone hasn't stopped playing titian fall and lol already

    YOU KNOW A WAY TO STOP PLAYING LOL? HOW?

  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    constant adulation from adults when i was a kid totally undermined any chance i had of developing a strong work ethic in terms of academia. it sucks dick. still working many years later to fix it.

    right? fuck that

    OH MY GOD YOU'RE SO SMART BLAH BLAH shut up, now it's a pain in the ass whenever I have work that I'm not automatically good at and I get frustrated or think something's wrong with me if I don't understand it immediately

    it's usually this

    A poet WOULD say this. "They don't get my art so THEY'RE broken"

    it's not that nobody gets my work

    it's that nobody reads it

    let's not put the cart before the horse

    Is any of your work in limerick form?

    fry-can-t-tell-if-o-s.gif

  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    I'm screwed because nobody ever taught me to take responsibility for myself.

    right i mean it definitely has elements of "i'm a fuckup because of other people" etc

    but seriously those are some bad lessons to teach a kid and in retrospect i can see that they had a profoundly negative influence on how i did in school

    oh I agree.

    My post was just taking the piss.

    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

    the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I was told I was smart in school.

    This led to extra work on top of other work.

    I also kind of had the Asian parent syndrome at home where my folks expected me to do well and there were consequences for being lazy. I was still lazy because bleh on school work.

    Then I got to college, almost flunked out my first year. Pull my head out of my ass and went from a 2.1 gpa to a 2.98 by the end. Always took extra classes and made sure I did my work ahead of time.

    Basically took almost failing and fucking up my life to make me realize I had to work at shit. Luckily it happened when I was 19.

    Also calc made me realize this but by the time college came around I was still being dumb even though calc 1 and 2 I realized I had to work my ass off to pull Bs.

    I avoided this problem by almost flunking my AP courses in high school.

    Thank goodness for that before I actually had to pay for it.

    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »
    My internet is fixed. I hope everyone hasn't stopped playing titian fall and lol already

    YOU KNOW A WAY TO STOP PLAYING LOL? HOW?

    Yyyyeeeeesssss the hooks are still in

  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I should go back into psychology and develop a new measure of intelligence


    based on how old you were when you were first humbled in your academic ability

    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

    the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    bowenskippydumptruck
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    I should go back into psychology and develop a new measure of intelligence


    based on how old you were when you were first humbled in your academic ability

    I'd buy that for a dollar.

    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    even college is sometimes horrible about giving free passes

    some professors actually critically evaluate what you did and even have criticism of an A paper

    some give you an assignment to write about slavery and your write a 10 page paper about Frederick Douglass from memory and get a 100% and a "VERY GOOD" when there's no way in fuck all the facts as written lined up to reality

    override367 on
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    like, calculus 2 has been one of the most upsetting things in my life. you spend all this time just 'getting' things quicker than everyone else, not needing to study etc.

    then you're like o that was a real small pond i was in i guess. here i am at a community college- so not exactly the most demanding sieve for talent- and i feel like everyone in my math classes is better equipped than i am.

    it makes you (me at least) feel really dumb. thought i was the smart kid. turns out i am not- or at least, if i am sort of a smart kid, being a smart kid is not in itself enough to accomplish difficult tasks in life. the ability these other kids have to effectively study and apply themselves is worth significantly more than my ability to do hard arithmetic in my head or remember lots of facts.

    in this world chu is the stupid one!

    yes but a takeaway is also that these are skills that can be developed like any others

    effective study habits, determination, resilience can be learned or strengthened

    LoserForHireX
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    the hooks aren't going to fall out because you didn't play lol for a couple of days deeb...maybe if loser and rugged did..you're a bronze medal at best, and a bronze V at worst.

  • kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    I like to think I got over my reign of bullshit mountain aka being the top of several classes in southern US public schools

    probably didn't

  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    even college is horribly discordant in expectations

    some professors actually critically evaluate what you did and even have criticism of an A paper

    some give you an assignment to write about slavery and your write a 10 page paper about Frederick Douglass from memory and get a 100% and a "VERY GOOD" when there's no way in fuck all the facts as written lined up to reality

    I remember going into Saint Rose the History 101 teacher basically had to teach the class how to write a paper because no one knew.

    The ones who had to take regents exams (NYS) were slightly better off but like... no one understand the concept of how to babble for 8 pages about a topic.

    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    One time in a gifted math class in elementary school I didn't get what we were talking about right away.

    Instead of asking and potentially revealing that I was a dumb I slapped a big box of colored pencils onto the floor to disrupt the lesson and then be all flustered as I slowly picked them up so that I would have an excuse for missing the explanation and not knowing what was going on....

    bowenspool32override367
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    i think a big part of college and getting the most out of it is being a self-directed learner, at least for any lib arts

    like, it astounded me how many people in the writing program didn't actually read or didn't actually write

    it's like, what are you doing here?

    it was fucking game time for me

    i was out of new hampshire and that was that

  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    sigh

    boss mad at me

    i've kind of failed this whole project and 054Psyduck.png

    poo
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    ronya wrote: »
    gifted class was seven years in learning just how mediocre i was, so I daresay your class didn't challenge you enough

    Not being picked in the Gifted class in primary school probably helped make me all fucked up...

    Ironically, being picked in there would probably have done equal amounts of harm.

    I was kind of hurt in grade school when I wasnt picked for gifted math and science classes. I was always proud of my skills in that, and in standardize tests I scored really high, like the high 90 percentile high. I found out later its because the grade school made you choose: take an instrument(anyone could do), or be in the gifted program(limited selection). my parents insisted I learn an instrument, I was ok in proficiency, but lessons were all really remedial. Every encounter with someone who played, I was always way behind whatever they knew and it felt awful. I fucking hated it, never learned anything, and could never remember to bring or retrieve the damn violin.

    Then I was put into a christian school for 2 years, and 1 year had no science class, and the second years science class was on astronomy, which was actually "learn that astrology is evil, and fake, now memorize history of astronomy, but not learn actual science". Going into high school after this was reaaaaaaaaaaal hard.

    DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    that's not an exaggeration, I hammered out that paper in like an hour because I'm a fuckup who waits until the last minute to do homework

    I went on for paragraphs with huge sweeping assertions about slavery that broadly cited PBS articles I hadn't even read

    "GOOD JOB" in the grade box

    geez how bad are the other students, like if I were grading it I found problems within the first page, entire sections are in the wrong chronological order

    override367 on
    Feral
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    @Organichu‌

    Calc was the biggest mind fuck I have ever taken. Don't freak out man. I got through it by having weekly sessions with my teacher. There were a few people who just got it but most of us worked our asses off on it. Even the "smart" kids because the class was made up of nothing but the "smart" kids. We were weeded out in 7th grade for math at least.

    The only guy I knew who just got it really got a full ride to MIT. Guy was like crazy smart.

    u7stthr17eud.png
  • OrganichuOrganichu jacobkosh Registered User regular
    my study habits are so bad- the efficiency is near zero. sometimes i will spend 20hrs a week 'trying' to study calculus. but i get so little from it. i try and work problems but there are only so many ways i can rewrite an expression or whatever if i just can't figure out how to solve it. for a while i would basically work alongside wolfram-alpha but the problem there, of course, is that you won't have that resource on test day. so i try to solve problems in test-like conditions and sometimes it can just be dreadful if i'm far behind, conceptually.

    people make flash cards and read through their notes and i see them nodding thoughtfully- they are getting something from it. i don't get that sensation at all. i feel like i study twice as much for half the effect. it's so horrifying.

    if i manage to pass calc 2 this semester (got a middle C the first exam, not sure about the second... maybe a low C if i'm lucky?), i will be thrilled. now we're doing infinite sums and such, limits at infinity. it's frustrating literally to tears sometimes how much less helpful the work i put in is than that of other people.

    curse this old, unmalleable brain

    DemonStacey
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    One time in a gifted math class in elementary school I didn't get what we were talking about right away.

    Instead of asking and potentially revealing that I was a dumb I slapped a big box of colored pencils onto the floor to disrupt the lesson and then be all flustered as I slowly picked them up so that I would have an excuse for missing the explanation and not knowing what was going on....

    http://i.imgur.com/ca19zPw.gif

    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    DemonStacey
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I desperately wanted more challenging work when I was in school, all the way up through high school.

    In 8th grade, at 1pm every day I'd take a bus from my junior high over to the high school to take second-year algebra and it still wasn't fast enough for me.

    I hated how slow and stupid everything seemed. I was basically Quicksilver at the ATM all the time.
    pms3.jpg

    when I finally started taking community college classes at night in high school it was a breath of fresh air.

    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

    the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    I was invited over to a friend's house for dinner for the first time. Now, for staging purposes, they all sit around the living room to eat as a family. They have these two large dogs. So, I ask beforehand, as I always do, what the rules are with the dogs and food.

    Am I supposed to ignore begging? Can I give them a bite? What kind of stuff can I feed them? Do they have to do a trick to get some?

    They tell me that not only can I feed them whatever I want, but that all the plates are given to the dogs after the meal and that the dogs would hassle you if you took the plate straight to the kitchen.

    So, I finish my meal. Which was decent... And I lay my plate down for the dogs. They clean it up quite nicely. I pick it up to take to the kitchen and I ask if it goes in the sink or the dishwasher. They said to put it back in the cabinet because the dogs clean it good enough to eat off of. I laughed at the joke and then kinda reiterated my question.

    IT WASN'T A JOKE!

    My friend walked in to the kitchen and put her plate, her boyfriend's plate, and her mom and dad's plate all in the cabinet with the other "clean" dishes. I could have been sick. I dropped all contact with them. That was just too much.

    Tl;dr: Their dishwashing was done exclusively by the dogs.

    this is somehow less gross to me than the ketchup bowl thing

    they also wore their hats at the dinner table, will.
    Indoor hats do piss me off

  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    One time in a gifted math class in elementary school I didn't get what we were talking about right away.

    Instead of asking and potentially revealing that I was a dumb I slapped a big box of colored pencils onto the floor to disrupt the lesson and then be all flustered as I slowly picked them up so that I would have an excuse for missing the explanation and not knowing what was going on....

    this is the kind of intelligence that gets you ahead in the business world

    successfully rolling a bullshit check can get you farther than your skills can

    bowenspool32DemonStacey
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    i can't tell if i'm actually naturally intelligent or just really good with language or if they are the same thing

    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    middle school was easy, they said just wait until high school

    high school was easy, they said just wait until college

    college was easy, they said just wait until grad school

    grad school was easy

    dunked

    *drops mic*

    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
    P10FeralVanguardspool32Element Briany2jake215DasUberEdward
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Organichu wrote: »
    like, calculus 2 has been one of the most upsetting things in my life. you spend all this time just 'getting' things quicker than everyone else, not needing to study etc.

    then you're like o that was a real small pond i was in i guess. here i am at a community college- so not exactly the most demanding sieve for talent- and i feel like everyone in my math classes is better equipped than i am.

    it makes you (me at least) feel really dumb. thought i was the smart kid. turns out i am not- or at least, if i am sort of a smart kid, being a smart kid is not in itself enough to accomplish difficult tasks in life. the ability these other kids have to effectively study and apply themselves is worth significantly more than my ability to do hard arithmetic in my head or remember lots of facts.

    in this world chu is the stupid one!

    yes but a takeaway is also that these are skills that can be developed like any others

    effective study habits, determination, resilience can be learned or strengthened

    it kinda scares me for my daughter because I'm basically out of time. I know there are a lot of things I did sort of wrong and stuff she isn't going to be able to accomplish without learning it herself somehow...

    Idk man. It's scary sending her out into the world and thinking

    "holy shit I wish I had done all these things differently but now it's too late
    I love you good luck we did our best :( "

    spool32 on
    skippydumptruck
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
This discussion has been closed.