As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I should have had [chat] prepared!

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    the hooks aren't going to fall out because you didn't play lol for a couple of days deeb...maybe if loser and rugged did..you're a bronze medal at best, and a bronze V at worst.

Bronze 1, dick.
    My series is coming up

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Podly wrote: »
    i can't tell if i'm actually naturally intelligent or just really good with language or if they are the same thing

with few exceptions, everything we know is contained within the language

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Organichu wrote: »
    like, calculus 2 has been one of the most upsetting things in my life. you spend all this time just 'getting' things quicker than everyone else, not needing to study etc.

then you're like o that was a real small pond i was in i guess. here i am at a community college- so not exactly the most demanding sieve for talent- and i feel like everyone in my math classes is better equipped than i am.

it makes you (me at least) feel really dumb. thought i was the smart kid. turns out i am not- or at least, if i am sort of a smart kid, being a smart kid is not in itself enough to accomplish difficult tasks in life. the ability these other kids have to effectively study and apply themselves is worth significantly more than my ability to do hard arithmetic in my head or remember lots of facts.

in this world chu is the stupid one!

yes but a takeaway is also that these are skills that can be developed like any others

effective study habits, determination, resilience can be learned or strengthened

i am trying it's really hard : (

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    that's not an exaggeration, I hammered out that paper in like an hour because I'm a fuckup who waits until the last minute to do homework

I went on for paragraphs with huge sweeping assertions about slavery that broadly cited PBS articles I hadn't even read

"GOOD JOB" in the grade box

geez how bad are the other students, like if I were grading it I found problems within the first page, entire sections are in the wrong chronological order

I got lectured by someone on a message board once about doing that.

Apparently doing shit like this is actually plagiarism. I didn't even know that. I would figure academic dishonesty at the worst. But you could totes play that off as ignorance of a late night cram while NOVA was running in the background.

I've made up some resources before because I got assigned a topic that had like 0 reference material. Got an A on that when the teacher said he could pick out bullshit.

Yeah maybe you can, but your bullshit radar isn't immune to my fake citations.

I'm not proud but fuck if I'm going to travel 45+ minutes to a neighboring library to find material.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    i can't tell if i'm actually naturally intelligent or just really good with language or if they are the same thing

I've yet to come across a great definition of intelligence anyways

so just cut to the chase. you are really good with language. who cares about extrapolating.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    something that's weird to me is that my classes were by and large harder in community college than they have been so far in university

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    middle school was easy, they said just wait until high school

high school was easy, they said just wait until college

college was easy, they said just wait until grad school

grad school was easy

dunked

*drops mic*

Somebody's parents didn't tell him he was going to automatically succeed...

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular

grad school was easy

dunked

*drops mic*

grad school was hard as fuck

I skipped through everything up until then and then I was like whoa fuck you want me to come up with an original thought instead of regurgitating someone else's thinking

oh my god you're going to push back on my assertions to make sure my thinking is sound

this content is hard and moves fast and everyone is at least as smart as I am if not smarter

so I tried to drop out my first semester lol

but my advisor wouldn't let me : (

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    bowen you strike me as the unhappiest person ever

• Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    are we talking about being gifted and stuff in public school?

I was recruited into my schools academic decathalon because I had a low GPA. Academic Decatholon scoring is based into groups of high gpa, middle gpa and low gpa and my teacher knew that I was just lazy so i would never do my homework but always get A's on all of my tests

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

I don't think they're necessarily the same thing, but I do think that solid linguistic skill is something that is advantageous in just about any field.

it also means you are particularly strong with recursive logical systems, which is highly applicable to logic and math and music.

It may be that recursive logic is one of those first-order cognitive abilities that intelligence researchers are trying to figure out.

The only reason why I am skeptical that they are precisely the same thing is because there are people who are bad with language but still smart.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    “Whether it’s the pioneer in the Conestoga wagon or someone coming here in the 1920s from southern Italy, there was this idea in America that if you worked hard and you showed real grit, that you could be successful,” he said. “Strangely, we’ve now forgotten that. People who have an easy time of things, who get 800s on their SAT’s, I worry that those people get feedback that everything they’re doing is great. And I think as a result, we are actually setting them up for long-term failure. When that person suddenly has to face up to a difficult moment, then I think they’re screwed, to be honest. I don’t think they’ve grown the capacities to be able to handle that.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/18/magazine/what-if-the-secret-to-success-is-failure.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

@Irond Will@spool32‌ boner alert

also @Shazkar Shadowstorm@desc @eddy @Organichu‌ we have talked about this stuff before

yeah this was a real problem for me in elementary school. got pulled out and put in all these "gifted" classes by virtue of the fact that i was "smart" and then i didn't have to do the scut work that the regular kids did.

after all, that kind of scut work was "boring" to a smart kid like me.

so you can see in that a single lesson that says that your intrinsic intelligence is more important than your willingness to work. and from there forward there was this kind of psychological incentive to blow off the scut work - call it boring - in order to emphasize the really important thing: that i'm an intrinsically smart kid and above that shit.

it's a really shitty lesson and i have struggled my entire life to get past it. in the end, you are worth what you contribute to the world through work and deeds and not what your potential and intelligence and inner life and perfectly cultivated tastes and opinions and values are.

yeah

we've discussed this before

this has been me

o look in middle school u do like no work get good grades, ppl like o u so smart, ur like, heh heh cool

hs sometimes a bit difficult but not rly
    senior year do like minimal work
    have highest gpa
    get near perfect SAT
    go to ivy league school
    even when feeling like you're not very good at things still get magna cum laude, but college is where i started to feel like a lazy failure

but then so used to just things being easy and succeeding because o hey i'm smart, things are supposed to be easy

then when i get to CHALLENGES
    things i am NOT GOOD at or struggle with

i just want to give up and die and feel like my self-worth as a human is shit due to these mental habits

which is how i've been feeling a lot lately

poo
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    I think if you have smart you tend to discount it also though. I tend to have to explain things to some people at work extremely slowly and repeatedly and others can grasp it quickly and we can move on.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Vanguard wrote: »
    bowen you strike me as the unhappiest person ever

Working IT for 10+ years changes you.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    spool32 wrote: »

grad school was easy

dunked

*drops mic*

Somebody's parents didn't tell him he was going to automatically succeed...

Oh I just read the initial summary skippy posted which seemed to read like continued success is going to lead to worse failure in the long run

• Options
    Feral wrote: »

I don't think they're necessarily the same thing, but I do think that solid linguistic skill is something that is advantageous in just about any field.

it also means you are particularly strong with recursive logical systems, which is highly applicable to logic and math and music.

It may be that recursive logic is one of those first-order cognitive abilities that intelligence researchers are trying to figure out.

The only reason why I am skeptical that they are precisely the same thing is because there are people who are bad with language but still smart.

look there are three kinds of intelligent

street smarts

book smarts

and horse sense

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular

*glances to shelf of derrida*

yeah, sure, whatever, pointdexter

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    I was raised to believe that I was going to fight on the battlefields of Armageddon with Jesus at my side because the end times would come by the time I was 20

• Options
    this is part of why i've been procrastinating so much lately and sucking at my job

because things are not going right and then instead of working out how to resolve them

i just flounder

poo
  • Options
    I was raised to believe that I was going to fight on the battlefields of Armageddon with Jesus at my side because the end times would come by the time I was 20

Hey working all those fields and mowing lawns makes you strong, don't discount that.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    My mom is still kind of bitter she never got raptured even though she's far less of a lunatic evangelical than she used to be

override367 on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    are we talking about being gifted and stuff in public school?

I was recruited into my schools academic decathalon because I had a low GPA. Academic Decatholon scoring is based into groups of high gpa, middle gpa and low gpa and my teacher knew that I was just lazy so i would never do my homework but always get A's on all of my tests

Junior Year: #2 overall C starter regionals and state
    Senior Year: #1 Overall C Starter regionals and state, #6 at nationals.

The #1 and #2 both years were my teammate (two different guys). My senior year the #5 was also my teammate.
    Lack of motivation!

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    gifted class was seven years in learning just how mediocre i was, so I daresay your class didn't challenge you enough

public school gifted classes in the US are only incrementally more challenging than regular classes, at least at the pre-middle-school level (age 11 and younger)

we weren't really 'challenged' in syllabus terms, really, besides the stalking terror of second language requirements; rather the main dynamic was expecting students to think of their performance and behaviour in those classes as normal rather than good enough. only later did we figure out that (say) the other students did not get to spend tons of their class time in impassioned debates rather than going over syllabus material, or did not spend so much class time on non-examinable topics like What Actually Determines Colour Changes In Precipitates, or did not do so much of their examinable material via student presented "project work" instead of notes

idk. the tenor of the discussion seems to be that students are mostly harmed by GE because they get the sense that they're already at the top. rather, my experience was that it was highly effective at shifting the student's frame in the reference in the opposition direction. when multiple of your classmates are international science olympiad champions representing your country in whatever far-flung capital it's held in this year, and this is just treated as expected, the pressure is to handle the "mainstream" material well, not flub even that

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

I strongly disagree, unless we use a particularly expansive definition of 'language' that I would then take issue with.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i'm just intelligent enough to realize that i am incapable of creating anything of any value

• Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    my study habits are so bad- the efficiency is near zero. sometimes i will spend 20hrs a week 'trying' to study calculus. but i get so little from it. i try and work problems but there are only so many ways i can rewrite an expression or whatever if i just can't figure out how to solve it. for a while i would basically work alongside wolfram-alpha but the problem there, of course, is that you won't have that resource on test day. so i try to solve problems in test-like conditions and sometimes it can just be dreadful if i'm far behind, conceptually.

people make flash cards and read through their notes and i see them nodding thoughtfully- they are getting something from it. i don't get that sensation at all. i feel like i study twice as much for half the effect. it's so horrifying.

if i manage to pass calc 2 this semester (got a middle C the first exam, not sure about the second... maybe a low C if i'm lucky?), i will be thrilled. now we're doing infinite sums and such, limits at infinity. it's frustrating literally to tears sometimes how much less helpful the work i put in is than that of other people.

curse this old, unmalleable brain

Does your school offer a tutoring service?

The community college I went to did. That can be super helpful. It's also hard. It's hard because you have to admit your difficulty to someone who is right there in front of you. But it can help so much because they will explain it a different way than your teacher did. Maybe they'll hit on something that clicks for you.

I've noticed some people with blank faces when the professor is lecturing about logic, but because I think of it a little differently I explain it a little differently. They get it when I do that. So it might be the same for you.

Keep at it man, and don't let yourself be ground out of this. It's hard work, but you are doing something incredibly worthwhile.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    @Powerpuppies‌ tries to tell me i am not dumb

i try to tell @Powerpuppies‌ that i am dumb

this is basically my collegiate experience

arguing with @Powerpuppies‌ about whether i'm dumb

• Options
    like, calculus 2 has been one of the most upsetting things in my life. you spend all this time just 'getting' things quicker than everyone else, not needing to study etc.

then you're like o that was a real small pond i was in i guess. here i am at a community college- so not exactly the most demanding sieve for talent- and i feel like everyone in my math classes is better equipped than i am.

it makes you (me at least) feel really dumb. thought i was the smart kid. turns out i am not- or at least, if i am sort of a smart kid, being a smart kid is not in itself enough to accomplish difficult tasks in life. the ability these other kids have to effectively study and apply themselves is worth significantly more than my ability to do hard arithmetic in my head or remember lots of facts.

in this world chu is the stupid one!

yes but a takeaway is also that these are skills that can be developed like any others

effective study habits, determination, resilience can be learned or strengthened

it kinda scares me for my daughter because I'm basically out of time. I know there are a lot of things I did sort of wrong and stuff she isn't going to be able to accomplish without learning it herself somehow...

Idk man. It's scary sending her out into the world and thinking

"holy shit I wish I had done all these things differently but now it's too late
    I love you good luck we did our best :( "

i feel real bad
    i should stop telling my parents how i feel i am a dumb useless butt failure
    because it probably makes them sad

poo
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    chat thread should i grad school
    make important life decision for me pls

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    it kinda scares me for my daughter because I'm basically out of time. I know there are a lot of things I did sort of wrong and stuff she isn't going to be able to accomplish without learning it herself somehow...

on the plus side failure builds character!

• Options

*glances to shelf of derrida*

yeah, sure, whatever, pointdexter

there is nothing outside the text

look there i am

pointdexter

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    philosophy of mind is 99% trolling i hate it

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    no
    you are the jesus

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    It took me getting to college before anything required much effort for me at all. Even then, I wasn't really blown away.

Then I went to grad school. And I am humbled so much. The people around me are incredibly smart and have a command of issues and text that I can't even come close to. They can find the smallest problem in your argument and unwind the whole thing. It's actually a really amazing experience. I think that I'm starting to not have to be the smartest guy in the room anymore. I know I'm smart and that I can get a lot that eludes other people but I know that there are some people out there who are scary smart.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options

with this work

i was thinking it was not very good and i had my concerns with the data and stuff

which i raised

but then manager said it seemed ok and i was like well i trust you i am going to drop this i do not like confrontation

comes back to bite me in the ass of course ughhh my fear of failure and things going wrong is crippling

poo
  • Options
    ok chat enough bellyaching who wants to toss around a pigskin shirtless on the beach for a few hours, hmm?

• Options

I strongly disagree, unless we use a particularly expansive definition of 'language' that I would then take issue with.

care to elaborate?

• Options
    all this worthless introspection makes me wanna puke. you want to explore your feelings we can watch Top Gun later, k bro?

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

on the plus side failure builds character!

she is staring a pretty big one in the face right now... I should write a post about it.

• Options
    philosophy of mind is 99% trolling i hate it

OH MY GOD THANK YOU

This discussion has been closed.