As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I should have had [chat] prepared!

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    i didn't feel that smart in college cuz everyone was super smart and lots of ppl were much much much smarter and more hard working than me

but

i didn't have a hard time after i got over my freshman year depressions

poo
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    middle school was easy, they said just wait until high school

high school was easy, they said just wait until college

college was easy, they said just wait until grad school

grad school was easy

dunked

*drops mic*

Somebody's parents didn't tell him he was going to automatically succeed...

Oh I just read the initial summary skippy posted which seemed to read like continued success is going to lead to worse failure in the long run

you fool

that was simply the hook to bring readers in

• Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    like, calculus 2 has been one of the most upsetting things in my life. you spend all this time just 'getting' things quicker than everyone else, not needing to study etc.

then you're like o that was a real small pond i was in i guess. here i am at a community college- so not exactly the most demanding sieve for talent- and i feel like everyone in my math classes is better equipped than i am.

it makes you (me at least) feel really dumb. thought i was the smart kid. turns out i am not- or at least, if i am sort of a smart kid, being a smart kid is not in itself enough to accomplish difficult tasks in life. the ability these other kids have to effectively study and apply themselves is worth significantly more than my ability to do hard arithmetic in my head or remember lots of facts.

in this world chu is the stupid one!

yes but a takeaway is also that these are skills that can be developed like any others

effective study habits, determination, resilience can be learned or strengthened

it kinda scares me for my daughter because I'm basically out of time. I know there are a lot of things I did sort of wrong and stuff she isn't going to be able to accomplish without learning it herself somehow...

Idk man. It's scary sending her out into the world and thinking

"holy shit I wish I had done all these things differently but now it's too late
    I love you good luck we did our best :( "

I think that this is a common feeling among parents.

Besides, kids are like pancakes. You always screw up the first one.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    my study habits are so bad- the efficiency is near zero. sometimes i will spend 20hrs a week 'trying' to study calculus. but i get so little from it. i try and work problems but there are only so many ways i can rewrite an expression or whatever if i just can't figure out how to solve it. for a while i would basically work alongside wolfram-alpha but the problem there, of course, is that you won't have that resource on test day. so i try to solve problems in test-like conditions and sometimes it can just be dreadful if i'm far behind, conceptually.

people make flash cards and read through their notes and i see them nodding thoughtfully- they are getting something from it. i don't get that sensation at all. i feel like i study twice as much for half the effect. it's so horrifying.

if i manage to pass calc 2 this semester (got a middle C the first exam, not sure about the second... maybe a low C if i'm lucky?), i will be thrilled. now we're doing infinite sums and such, limits at infinity. it's frustrating literally to tears sometimes how much less helpful the work i put in is than that of other people.

curse this old, unmalleable brain

Does your school offer a tutoring service?

The community college I went to did. That can be super helpful. It's also hard. It's hard because you have to admit your difficulty to someone who is right there in front of you. But it can help so much because they will explain it a different way than your teacher did. Maybe they'll hit on something that clicks for you.

I've noticed some people with blank faces when the professor is lecturing about logic, but because I think of it a little differently I explain it a little differently. They get it when I do that. So it might be the same for you.

Keep at it man, and don't let yourself be ground out of this. It's hard work, but you are doing something incredibly worthwhile.

well i feel like it's largely about clicking but other people don't know how to read your mind? and when you have a fundamental failing on a conceptual level, you can't explain that to other people. there are bits of knowledge you possess and bits of knowledge you don't. and in my experience, at least in stem fields- how do you explain what part of a concept you don't get? it's not as simple as 'i don't really get limits'. most people will just define a limit for you, relate it to derivatives, go over a related rate problem etc. but you know most of those things. you've read those definitions. but you haven't heard the right analogy yet or had it framed the right way. you don't grasp the topic well enough yet to tell a tutor "this is the exact thing i don't understand".

does this make sense? i feel like when i talk to a tutor i lack the mastery of the topic necessary to precisely explain the holes in my knowledge.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    ok chat enough bellyaching who wants to toss around a pigskin shirtless on the beach for a few hours, hmm?
    i don't like to take my shirt off

• Options
    @feral omg fear of failure omg

poo
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    middle school was easy, they said just wait until high school

high school was easy, they said just wait until college

college was easy, they said just wait until grad school

grad school was easy

dunked

*drops mic*

Somebody's parents didn't tell him he was going to automatically succeed...

Oh I just read the initial summary skippy posted which seemed to read like continued success is going to lead to worse failure in the long run

you fool

that was simply the hook to bring readers in

I've been had!

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Grad school was interesting.

I loved it, loved the research and the material. Made great friends. Learned a fucking shit load as well. And finally getting a job in the field.

But fuck it was a lot of work and hard. I suck at writing. Everyone here knows this. I was writing 15k to 20k words each quarter (10 weeks) on differing subjects and with tons of research also with original conclusions. Also my paper's had to be edited and shit. Huge change of pace for me.

I mean my writing got better by the end but I wrote a couple of books worth in two years on tons of different subjects. Was nuts.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    @Organichu‌

was talking with elm earlier in [chat] actually. um. for calc i think the most important resource is worked solutions, copious amounts of them. Not talking like, just a couple of pages but about decade worth of full examination papers with complete solutions, ideally more. You don't have to practice all of them, but it's necessary for being able to assess whether your ability to know how to tackle a question, rather than the extremely time-consuming part of actually executing it, which vastly drags down the pace of revision

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Podly wrote: »
    i can't tell if i'm actually naturally intelligent or just really good with language or if they are the same thing

with few exceptions, everything we know is contained within the language

*glances to shelf of derrida*

yeah, sure, whatever, pointdexter

there is nothing outside the text

look there i am

pointdexter

pointdexter

point

γράμμα

of grammatology

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i feel like the solution to failure is to just keep failing until you hit rock bottom so that you never fail again

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    fear of failure is the reason I didn't pick CSCI as my major

I mean there are practical considerations like not graduating until I'm 32 goddamn years old but really, fear of failure, thats #1

• Options
    philosophy of mind is 99% trolling i hate it

As a philosophy of mind...

But seriously, if this was your takeaway then you did some seriously silly philosophy of mind.

"We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    my study habits are so bad- the efficiency is near zero. sometimes i will spend 20hrs a week 'trying' to study calculus. but i get so little from it. i try and work problems but there are only so many ways i can rewrite an expression or whatever if i just can't figure out how to solve it. for a while i would basically work alongside wolfram-alpha but the problem there, of course, is that you won't have that resource on test day. so i try to solve problems in test-like conditions and sometimes it can just be dreadful if i'm far behind, conceptually.

people make flash cards and read through their notes and i see them nodding thoughtfully- they are getting something from it. i don't get that sensation at all. i feel like i study twice as much for half the effect. it's so horrifying.

if i manage to pass calc 2 this semester (got a middle C the first exam, not sure about the second... maybe a low C if i'm lucky?), i will be thrilled. now we're doing infinite sums and such, limits at infinity. it's frustrating literally to tears sometimes how much less helpful the work i put in is than that of other people.

The community college I went to did. That can be super helpful. It's also hard. It's hard because you have to admit your difficulty to someone who is right there in front of you. But it can help so much because they will explain it a different way than your teacher did. Maybe they'll hit on something that clicks for you.

I've noticed some people with blank faces when the professor is lecturing about logic, but because I think of it a little differently I explain it a little differently. They get it when I do that. So it might be the same for you.

Keep at it man, and don't let yourself be ground out of this. It's hard work, but you are doing something incredibly worthwhile.

well i feel like it's largely about clicking but other people don't know how to read your mind? and when you have a fundamental failing on a conceptual level, you can't explain that to other people. there are bits of knowledge you possess and bits of knowledge you don't. and in my experience, at least in stem fields- how do you explain what part of a concept you don't get? it's not as simple as 'i don't really get limits'. most people will just define a limit for you, relate it to derivatives, go over a related rate problem etc. but you know most of those things. you've read those definitions. but you haven't heard the right analogy yet or had it framed the right way. you don't grasp the topic well enough yet to tell a tutor "this is the exact thing i don't understand".

does this make sense? i feel like when i talk to a tutor i lack the mastery of the topic necessary to precisely explain the holes in my knowledge.

most experienced tutors will have different approaches they can try to "make it click"

might be worth another shot. at the very least you'll get a more structured and focused use of your time since I'm guessing a portion of those 20 hrs is also spent chatting/internetting concurrently

• Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    ok chat enough bellyaching who wants to toss around a pigskin shirtless on the beach for a few hours, hmm?

on the beach with a shark huh

that'd be a new twist on To Catch a Predator

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    @Powerpuppies‌ tries to tell me i am not dumb

i try to tell @Powerpuppies‌ that i am dumb

this is basically my collegiate experience

arguing with @Powerpuppies‌ about whether i'm dumb

Here is a thing:

Argue for your limitations and you get to keep them!

• Options
    P10 wrote: »
    chat thread should i grad school
    make important life decision for me pls

1) evaluate cost in terms of actual cost and opportunity cost
    2) determine what ROI from attending school is (monetary, happiness)
    3) if it's worth it, do it -- if not, don't
    3a) I went to grad school because it was free and I didn't know what else I should do at that point and it made me feel stuck in a career path I didn't like for like 8 years so give steps 1) and 2) some thought

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    effective study habits, determination, resilience can be learned or strengthened
    Unless you're depressed

LOL!

Fuck brain problems

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Nope

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Elendil wrote: »
    i don't like to take my shirt off

fine, you do mine and i'll do yours

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    g60155a30.jpg

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    i feel like the solution to failure is to just keep failing until you hit rock bottom so that you never fail again

my brother hasn't spent more than a consecutive 10 days out of jail in the last year and still doesn't think he has a drinking problem

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    One time in a gifted math class in elementary school I didn't get what we were talking about right away.

Instead of asking and potentially revealing that I was a dumb I slapped a big box of colored pencils onto the floor to disrupt the lesson and then be all flustered as I slowly picked them up so that I would have an excuse for missing the explanation and not knowing what was going on....

this is the kind of intelligence that gets you ahead in the business world

successfully rolling a bullshit check can get you farther than your skills can

And now I'm working on my MBA.

A surprise that should come to no one.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod

most experienced tutors will have different approaches they can try to "make it click"

might be worth another shot. at the very least you'll get a more structured and focused use of your time since I'm guessing a portion of those 20 hrs is also spent chatting/internetting concurrently

yeah i mean i still go to tutoring

just usually i don't feel as though i get a lot from it i think

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    i'm insane in da membrane
    More like mild anxiety disorder in the membrane

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    My parents were really viciously mean about everything I ever enjoyed. Getting really good at programming was probably 20% ability and 80% pure spite for the way they'd cut off my access to technology constantly and tell me to do shit I hated so I could become a doctor or a lawyer.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    conversely, don't make the opposite mistake of just glancing through past papers, you won't remember any of it. Gotta balance between working them out without peeking, and peeking to avoid wasting time

aRkpc.gif
  • Options

my brother hasn't spent more than a consecutive 10 days out of jail in the last year and still doesn't think he has a drinking problem

Sounds like he has a jail problem

• Options
    all this stressing we do over shit and by the time we retire intelligent learning machines will do everyone's thinking for them and we can smugly proclaim that we were right in grade school when we said "I'm never going to use this anyway why do I have to learn it"

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular

3a) I went to grad school because it was free and I didn't know what else I should do at that point and it made me feel stuck in a career path I didn't like for like 8 years so give steps 1) and 2) some thought
    that's not making a decision for me at all! what a let down.

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    philosophy of mind is 99% trolling i hate it

OH MY GOD THANK YOU

one of the benefits of being a heideggerian is that it's not really important to necessarily grasp how consciousness functions because while we are never removed from a single consciousness nevertheless that is not what we are so don't stress out about fully analyzing the mind

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    i'm insane in da membrane
    More like mild anxiety disorder in the membrane

well

yeah

right now i am just scared of everything and want to just curl up in a ball under my desk and maybe shed some tears and sleep for 30 hrs and hope my work problems go away

but they won't

poo
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    an extremely good soprano just dropped by the house with her mother and new son

and as they left the mother said "we must go even tho i know u want to take scheck with u u cant so come on"

and i was like wat has she been saying to her mother...

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    all this stressing we do over shit and by the time we retire intelligent learning machines will do everyone's thinking for them and we can smugly proclaim that we were right in grade school when we said "I'm never going to use this anyway why do I have to learn it"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zvDXlliI_8

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    edited March 2014

Sounds like he has a jail problem

Nah, 10 days is about the limit for how long he can go without a drink

there seems to be a correlation with him getting shit faced and getting arrested, also he's been thrown out of half the homeless shelters in Phoenix for being drunk

He really seems to like Maricopa county jails

override367 on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    i can't tell if i'm actually naturally intelligent or just really good with language or if they are the same thing

with few exceptions, everything we know is contained within the language

I strongly disagree, unless we use a particularly expansive definition of 'language' that I would then take issue with.

care to elaborate?

Well, I'm projecting a little bit from conversations I've had before.

But let's start with an easy example. Imagine the Mona Lisa. You know what the Mona Lisa looks like. Is the knowledge of what the Mona Lisa looks like "contained within the language?"

Or, for a trollish philosophy of mind example (<3 podly), colorblind Mary. Colorblind Mary knows everything that can be conveyed linguistically about the color blue. However, I would argue that she doesn't know everything any human could possibly know about the color blue because she cannot know what it is like to see the color blue.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    an extremely good soprano just dropped by the house with her mother and new son

and as they left the mother said "we must go even tho i know u want to take scheck with u u cant so come on"

and i was like wat has she been saying to her mother...

they all want the

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    PantsB wrote: »
    Wait do people actually care about college GPA anywhere in a job interview? Its the kind of thing I'd internally laugh at if brought up repeatedly in an interview

I never put it on my resume yet it came up in every interview I did. Most of the time I was chided afterwards for not putting it on my resume since it was "a big deal" to them and could have hurt my chances had it not come up in the interview.

They cant get this without transcripts right? Are they actually going to do this? If I am a grown ass man looking for a non entry level position, I'm really not sure how I am going to answer that question when I have ~8 years experience. I doubt I could tell them what my degree was for at that point.

I leave it blank whenever I have to fill out one of those things. You gotta draw a line somewhere. No one will ever look or care or anything.
    Lot of employers have asked for my transcripts after hiring me.

You're kidding right?

I've never heard of that happening to anyone ever! Are you doing some sort of sciencing or something wherein people care?
    i have designed/engineered stuff that could hurt/maim/kill if it failed.

I have also been around someone that said they were a degrees engineer and that was either a complete lie or his engineering program was the worst. Was university of Houston though so I think it's more likely that he fibbed.

• Options

that's not making a decision for me at all! what a let down.

4) don't go

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
This discussion has been closed.