As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I should have had [chat] prepared!

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    an extremely good soprano just dropped by the house with her mother and new son

and as they left the mother said "we must go even tho i know u want to take scheck with u u cant so come on"

and i was like wat has she been saying to her mother...

Ideations of murder-suicide

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    PantsB wrote: »
    Wait do people actually care about college GPA anywhere in a job interview? Its the kind of thing I'd internally laugh at if brought up repeatedly in an interview

I never put it on my resume yet it came up in every interview I did. Most of the time I was chided afterwards for not putting it on my resume since it was "a big deal" to them and could have hurt my chances had it not come up in the interview.

They cant get this without transcripts right? Are they actually going to do this? If I am a grown ass man looking for a non entry level position, I'm really not sure how I am going to answer that question when I have ~8 years experience. I doubt I could tell them what my degree was for at that point.

I leave it blank whenever I have to fill out one of those things. You gotta draw a line somewhere. No one will ever look or care or anything.
    Lot of employers have asked for my transcripts after hiring me.

You're kidding right?

I've never heard of that happening to anyone ever! Are you doing some sort of sciencing or something wherein people care?
    i have designed/engineered stuff that could hurt/maim/kill if it failed.

I have also been around someone that said they were a degrees engineer and that was either a complete lie or his engineering program was the worst. Was university of Houston though so I think it's more likely that he fibbed.

degrees...engineer?

yeah I've had to produce transcripts for all my jobs. I'm in a similar position where if I fuck up monstrously a whole lot of people could get hurt or killed.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    P10 wrote: »
    chat thread should i grad school
    make important life decision for me pls
    Nope

ignore this guy you wanna spend as long as possible chilling in academia like a villain

avoid real life at all costs

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    My parents were really viciously mean about everything I ever enjoyed. Getting really good at programming was probably 20% ability and 80% pure spite for the way they'd cut off my access to technology constantly and tell me to do shit I hated so I could become a doctor or a lawyer.

that's pretty awful

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    Podly wrote: »
    philosophy of mind is 99% trolling i hate it

As a philosophy of mind...

But seriously, if this was your takeaway then you did some seriously silly philosophy of mind.

later wittgenstein or i feed

hilary putnam can be pretty cool i guess

and i guess i enjoyed donald davidson's stuff

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »

OH MY GOD THANK YOU

one of the benefits of being a heideggerian is that it's not really important to necessarily grasp how consciousness functions because while we are never removed from a single consciousness nevertheless that is not what we are so don't stress out about fully analyzing the mind

this is a qualiaty post

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2014
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Why am I suddenly brainstorming about a career change? My job is great!

Fak
    skippy's wanderlust is contagious and fatal. I'm sorry.

Edit: well, I guess me and at least two other posters are on the same page. In my defense I'm waiting around at the title place for paperwork to get filed with the bank.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    Week old milk?

Don't mind if I do!

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    but seriously a very large amount of philosophy of mind is super trolly because its in that perfect area of everybody has lots of super intuitive responses about it while being unable to actually back up or properly eliminate many of the ideas

so you get this huge fuckfest full of insane thought experiments and qualia and general awesomeness

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Vanguard wrote: »
    i can't tell if i'm actually naturally intelligent or just really good with language or if they are the same thing

with few exceptions, everything we know is contained within the language

I strongly disagree, unless we use a particularly expansive definition of 'language' that I would then take issue with.

care to elaborate?

Well, I'm projecting a little bit from conversations I've had before.

But let's start with an easy example. Imagine the Mona Lisa. You know what the Mona Lisa looks like. Is the knowledge of what the Mona Lisa looks like "contained within the language?"

Or, for a trollish philosophy of mind example (<3 podly), colorblind Mary. Colorblind Mary knows everything that can be conveyed linguistically about the color blue. However, I would argue that she doesn't know everything any human could possibly know about the color blue because she cannot know what it is like to see the color blue.

beetle-box we're all colorblind and we can never know it hamlet may have something in him that passes show but unless he can show it then even he doesn't know it

get dunked on

boom philosophy of mind

philosophy of mine

is a philosophy of mines

boom

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    one of my classmates that went through the gifted programme, as it was run in singapore, remarked after we left that it was in essence a classroom full of nerds being kept carefully unaware that they are nerds

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    i need more friends my own age

75% of my friends are close to or over 40
    is this to plan ahead for when they die

• Options
    something about the intuition pump objection unsettles me slightly, but i just don't have the energy to chase down epistemology any more

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    even college is sometimes horrible about giving free passes

some professors actually critically evaluate what you did and even have criticism of an A paper

some give you an assignment to write about slavery and your write a 10 page paper about Frederick Douglass from memory and get a 100% and a "VERY GOOD" when there's no way in fuck all the facts as written lined up to reality

also professors often have a bias towards talented students.

like, the work you are doing in college isn't important in and of itself - it's just a set of exercises to gauge your ability to perform the thing in question.

so a professor's job is to teach students and assess their capability, yes, but the other part of their job is to recognize exceptionally talented or intelligent students and then make use of them in their research or grant areas.

so they have a built-in incentive to pick out exceptionally talented students even if their work ethic is shitty.

also compounding this is that lots of college professors were drawn from the group of "gifted students" who were always praised for their intelligence and you can see the cycle perpetuating itself.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    @Organichu‌

For your tutoring what I use to do when I went and got my one on one time was try to do the homework first. I took notes on each step I failed at doing or how to move on. Now I suck at visualization of stuff in my head so that is what killed me. Limits kind of clicked in a weird way and I have never explained how. They just kind of worked.

But do some problems with limits. Write down each thought outside of "I AM DUMB!" while doing about 5 long problems. Take the problems and the notes with you to the tutor. Walk through the problem with the tutor again and show them your notes as you go. Hopefully this will help them figure out why you aren't getting limits.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    this is part of why i've been procrastinating so much lately and sucking at my job

because things are not going right and then instead of working out how to resolve them

i just flounder

bail and talk shit about your company on glassdoor.

• Options

OH MY GOD THANK YOU

one of the benefits of being a heideggerian is that it's not really important to necessarily grasp how consciousness functions because while we are never removed from a single consciousness nevertheless that is not what we are so don't stress out about fully analyzing the mind

this is a qualiaty post

n2UC9634RP105.png

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Seriously though. Who so angered icy liquid as to bring the new mobile site design upon our heads. I can't even see what the hell I'm typing.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    beetle-box we're all colorblind and we can never know it

which is the inescapable conclusion that colorblind mary (and common sense, really) brings us to

we're all platonic cave-dwellers looking at magritte paintings on the wall

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    Seriously though. Who so angered icy liquid as to bring the new mobile site design upon our heads. I can't even see what the hell I'm typing.

it's punishment for all the times we asked for a mobile app

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Granted, this racial and enthic diversity class is a 100 level course and I can write freshmen level papers on any subject in my sleep at this point

not only does it seem like I've been going to college forever it feels like I've been taking freshmen level courses forever

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Zephiran wrote: »
    Week old milk?

Don't mind if I do!
    one lump or two

• Options
    ronya wrote: »
    one of my classmates that went through the gifted programme, as it was run in singapore, remarked after we left that it was in essence a classroom full of nerds being kept carefully unaware that they are nerds

luckily you are a dog not a nerd so it all pans out

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    Organichu wrote: »
    like, calculus 2 has been one of the most upsetting things in my life. you spend all this time just 'getting' things quicker than everyone else, not needing to study etc.

then you're like o that was a real small pond i was in i guess. here i am at a community college- so not exactly the most demanding sieve for talent- and i feel like everyone in my math classes is better equipped than i am.

it makes you (me at least) feel really dumb. thought i was the smart kid. turns out i am not- or at least, if i am sort of a smart kid, being a smart kid is not in itself enough to accomplish difficult tasks in life. the ability these other kids have to effectively study and apply themselves is worth significantly more than my ability to do hard arithmetic in my head or remember lots of facts.

in this world chu is the stupid one!

yes but a takeaway is also that these are skills that can be developed like any others

effective study habits, determination, resilience can be learned or strengthened

it kinda scares me for my daughter because I'm basically out of time. I know there are a lot of things I did sort of wrong and stuff she isn't going to be able to accomplish without learning it herself somehow...

Idk man. It's scary sending her out into the world and thinking

"holy shit I wish I had done all these things differently but now it's too late
    I love you good luck we did our best :( "

you are okay, spool

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options

which is the inescapable conclusion that colorblind mary (and common sense, really) brings us to

this will be settled once we have better machine brain interfaces and robot eyes

• Options

luckily you are a dog not a nerd so it all pans out

dang, now i know why i was failing out

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    no but seriously why didn't you teach your daughter capoeira you shitlord

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Remember me is on sale.

I forgot about that title, ho ho ho ho ho.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular

Its pretty tough to hide that in the US. We do have places like Bronx Science or Thomas Jefferson in NoVa that are bonkers advanced in terms of facilities. Maybe you could pull it off there.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    thank you maz ee ex

• Options
    Organichu wrote: »
    no but seriously why didn't you teach your daughter capoeira you shitlord

the best martial arts style against a voodoo style zombie uprising, which scientists admit is just as likely as a romero style zombie uprising

• Options

this will be settled once we have better machine brain interfaces and robot eyes

only once we're all merged into a single gestalt consciousness comprising all of the extant universe

i mean, more than we already are

• Options
    fuck thinking make techno

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    You've got to use it in portrait.

I mean, it's stupid and all, but that's the only way it's functional.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    everyone at thomas jefferson knows they are huge nerds

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    this is somehow less gross to me than the ketchup bowl thing

someday science will discover a canine parasite with effects analogous to toxoplasmosis

no need for a parasite our gene sequences that involve empathy and nurturance already play that role

apparently petting a friendly dog stimulates oxytocin release in levels only slightly lower than nursing a baby

the cool thing is that this oxytocin is released in both the human and the dog
    Get dunked on, cat people

• Options

machines should do the work
    so humans have time to think

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    You've got to use it in portrait.

I mean, it's stupid and all, but that's the only way it's functional.

As it should be. Landscape phone users are worse than animals.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options

it is the intellectual equivalent of the five year old who responds to every statement with "why?"

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular

machines should do the work
    so humans have time to twerk

This discussion has been closed.