As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I should have had [chat] prepared!

• LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Feral wrote: »
    Podly wrote: »
    beetle-box we're all colorblind and we can never know it

which is the inescapable conclusion that colorblind mary (and common sense, really) brings us to

we're all platonic cave-dwellers looking at magritte paintings on the wall

What Mary doesn't know has fuck all to do with language. It isn't about knowing things expressible in language.

Have you read Jackson's paper?

I think that Philosophy of mind gets a bad rap because people know just enough about it that they know a lot of things that aren't really on the table any more.

I mean, I took a grad class in philosophy of mind last year and I still haven't caught up to where the literature is in the present day. I'm caught up to the late 90s, but not to the last ten years. With the exception of Jaegwon Kim's supervenience argument against higher level properties.

EDIT: But Kim's probably wrong, so that's not terribly helpful, though it was interesting.

LoserForHireX on
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    if i get this track signed

i'm going to make so many dozens of dollars

like, maybe dozens of dozens

$$$

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    kNL9WkF.gif

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

$$$

#3figureballer

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

$$$
    Gonna buy a moderately priced meal for one. Without wine. PLAYA

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    Mobile is fine on 5in Android screen.

Good work Icy

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    ronya wrote: »
    one of my classmates that went through the gifted programme, as it was run in singapore, remarked after we left that it was in essence a classroom full of nerds being kept carefully unaware that they are nerds

Its pretty tough to hide that in the US. We do have places like Bronx Science or Thomas Jefferson in NoVa that are bonkers advanced in terms of facilities. Maybe you could pull it off there.

those are waaaaay more dedicated than ours was, i think it goes too far in the direction of specialization. i think the feeling that being able to compete in some way with classmates who can authentically claim to represent their country at whatever fades once you reach that level of isolation. gifted ed, as a program for merely rather intelligent non-prodigies, probably benefits from having the writers and the scientists together in the same classroom

aRkpc.gif
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    that fucking miley gif, man

it looks so real, i can't get over what a brainfuck it is every time

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    With the exception of Jaegwon Kim's supervenience argument against higher level properties.

EDIT: But Kim's probably wrong, so that's not terribly helpful, though it was interesting.

You know, I've read Kim's paper, but every time his name comes up I can't help but think he sounds like a jedi.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    philosophy of mind is 99% trolling i hate it

As a philosophy of mind...

But seriously, if this was your takeaway then you did some seriously silly philosophy of mind.

later wittgenstein or i feed

hilary putnam can be pretty cool i guess

and i guess i enjoyed donald davidson's stuff

Searle is good too. He's wrong about nearly everything, but he's good.

He is probably one of the greatest assets to philosophy of mind and language in the 20th century just because he has been wrong. He keeps being inventively wrong, and forcing people to improve their thinking.

"We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
    Organichu wrote: »

the perfect digital turkey booty

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    fuck thinking make techno

machines should do the work
    so humans have time to think

Are you sure it's not the other way around

• VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    With the exception of Jaegwon Kim's supervenience argument against higher level properties.

You know, I've read Kim's paper, but every time his name comes up I can't help but think he sounds like a jedi.

agreeing with the jedi part, not the read the paper part

because hahaha. also this is the first time I've seen the name.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular

gedanken-techno

techno of the mind and not of the ears

obF2Wuw.png
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    do work, son

should the be self-mantra of the first world

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    desc wrote: »

machines should do the work
    so humans have time to think

Are you sure it's not the other way around

I came thiissss close to reversing it when I posted

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    @feral omg fear of failure omg

I should coordinate some failures to help me overcome my fear of failures

oh shit what if I set up my failures wrong?

maybe I should lower my expectations for what kind of failure I could have to help me overcome a fear of failure

failing at failing would just be too much

Two goats enter, one car leaves

OH MY GOD YOU ARE RIGHT.

I WILL NOW THINK THIS EVERY TIME

I have had approx 45 min of work to do for the past, oh, 6 days or so

my boss is out of town all this week and I keep scheduling time to do it, and then just moving the appointment on my calendar to a different chunk of time

*reads forums, practices python*

Organichu wrote: »

It almost makes me want to throw up.

But laugh

I want to vomit-laugh

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular

which is the inescapable conclusion that colorblind mary (and common sense, really) brings us to

What Mary doesn't know has fuck all to do with language. It isn't about knowing things expressible in language.

I think that Philosophy of mind gets a bad rap because people know just enough about it that they know a lot of things that aren't really on the table any more.

I mean, I took a grad class in philosophy of mind last year and I still haven't caught up to where the literature is in the present day. I'm caught up to the late 90s, but not to the last ten years. With the exception of Jaegwon Kim's supervenience argument against higher level properties.

its also a pretty big field to be fair

obF2Wuw.png
    adding a mod to a PM means they can see it, right?

do they get notified when they get added, or do you have to respond in some way?

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Huh. That thing last year, the kid who went to jail for making dumb terrorist jokes on Facebook? That's still not resolved and he might be going to big boy prison for 10 years.

Oh brilliant
    Oh boy!

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Parents always worry about the funniest shit. Like, I think my dad finally realized he could relax this past weekend when I was visiting home. He walked into the living room and heard me on speakerphone with a customer service rep at Expedia, parlaying a mandatory schedule change for a connecting flight into a complete ticket rescheduling without paying the $200 fee. He just stood there watching, not saying a word until I hung up the phone. I could tell he was trying so hard not to blurt out advice before I tried each bureaucracy navigation maneuver.

It was totally mundane and I've clearly dealt with way more pressing shit, but I guess as a parent you never quite shake the feeling that you gotta guide your kid though every little thing until you see for yourself that they are on top of it.

He didn't even ask me if I filed my taxes yet! (I didn't.)

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    George R.R. Martin admits that he is concerned about D.B. Weiss' plans to wrap GoT up by Season 8.
    I’m hopeful that I can not let them catch up with me. The season that’s about to debut covers the second half of the third book. The third book [A Storm of Swords] was so long that it had to be split into two. But there are two more books beyond that, and A Dance With Dragons. A Dance With Dragons is itself a book that’s as big as A Storm of Swords. So there’s potentially three more seasons there, between Feast and Dance, if they split into two the way the did [with Swords]. Now, Feast and Dance take place simultaneously. So you can’t do Feast and then Dance the way I did. You can combine them and do it chronologically. And it’s my hope that they’ll do it that way and then, long before they catch up with me, I’ll have published The Winds of Winter, which’ll give me another couple years. It might be tight on the last book, A Dream of Spring, as they juggernaut forward.

Spartacus went back and told a prequel season. That’s also an option. We have prequel. We have the Dunk and Egg novellas, which take place a hundred years before. And I’ve just published The Princess and the Queen, which takes place two hundred years before. So there’s lots of Westeros material out there, if we want to keep doing Westeros projects, but not necessarily that. But, you know, I realize—I don’t want to sound too glib about this. This is a serious concern.

• PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular

Needs more fedoras and ironic mustaches.

So it could become less hipster

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
  • kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular

gedanken-techno

techno of the mind and not of the ears

gedachtno

a+ would get mario theme tattooed on self

relatedly, I am mad that I was not accepted to be part of http://ineradicablestain.com/skin-faqs.html

i'm reading the blog of an acquaintance - also singapore gifted ed, albeit junior - who is pursuing the high life globetrotting with the young, rich, and beautiful, and then writing elegantly about it.

while, I guess, I am unemployed and on a tenuous immigration status in singapore.

aRkpc.gif
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    George R.R. Martin admits that he is concerned about D.B. Weiss' plans to wrap GoT up by Season 8.
    I’m hopeful that I can not let them catch up with me. The season that’s about to debut covers the second half of the third book. The third book [A Storm of Swords] was so long that it had to be split into two. But there are two more books beyond that, and A Dance With Dragons. A Dance With Dragons is itself a book that’s as big as A Storm of Swords. So there’s potentially three more seasons there, between Feast and Dance, if they split into two the way the did [with Swords]. Now, Feast and Dance take place simultaneously. So you can’t do Feast and then Dance the way I did. You can combine them and do it chronologically. And it’s my hope that they’ll do it that way and then, long before they catch up with me, I’ll have published The Winds of Winter, which’ll give me another couple years. It might be tight on the last book, A Dream of Spring, as they juggernaut forward.

Spartacus went back and told a prequel season. That’s also an option. We have prequel. We have the Dunk and Egg novellas, which take place a hundred years before. And I’ve just published The Princess and the Queen, which takes place two hundred years before. So there’s lots of Westeros material out there, if we want to keep doing Westeros projects, but not necessarily that. But, you know, I realize—I don’t want to sound too glib about this. This is a serious concern.

The man will die of a heart attack before he finishes the story.

This is an actual worry of mine.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

NO, MARTIN. NO. BAD. WE ARE NOT MAKING DANCE WITH DRAGONS INTO THREE SEASONS. THEY WILL CUT THAT SHIT DOWN TO A REASONABLE LENGTH SO WE DON'T ALL DIE OF BOREDOM.

Get on with the writing.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular

its also a pretty big field to be fair

Philosophy in general kind of annoys me because it seems like not only is it this absurdly huge field, you're not allowed to know any of it until you've studied all the history.

The impression I get is like,
    Yeah we're discussing current philosophy ideas. You can't touch 'em yet though, first you have to read all these other books. Also those books are dumb and wrong.

I dunno man, there's plenty of science stuff written for laymen, but I've never seen any current philosophy for laymen.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
    adding a mod to a PM means they can see it, right?

do they get notified when they get added, or do you have to respond in some way?

the pm in question has disappeared from my inbox so I assume just adding tube was sufficient

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

I'll be interested to see what they do, whether they let the series just fade out or if they change things to conclude it a sensible number of seasons.

Or if they just sack off the books and write about Small-y and Dwarf-y who become private investigators for some reason.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    No chance HBO would do a prequel season or anything like that for Game of Thrones. Too many actors to keep under contract and too many child actors that are already looking a bit big for their roles (Bran is gonna be carrying Hodor around in another season or two).

I do hope George can get the books out before the material hits the air, but I also hope he doesn't rush it and sacrifice quality just to meet a deadline.

alright I am becoming bitter again, which is probably a sign i should go to bed

aRkpc.gif
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited March 2014

NO, MARTIN. NO. BAD. WE ARE NOT MAKING DANCE WITH DRAGONS INTO THREE SEASONS. THEY WILL CUT THAT SHIT DOWN TO A REASONABLE LENGTH SO WE DON'T ALL DIE OF BOREDOM.

Get on with the writing.

honestly books 4 and 5 shouldnt be more than 2 seasons, there's a lot of fat they can cut off

override367 on
This discussion has been closed.