As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I should have had [chat] prepared!

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Organichu wrote: »
    i have felt kind of lightheaded and dizzy for a couple hours now. dang.

eat!

i did, still feel crummy

• kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Being able to explain what has happened has nothing to do with whether it has happened.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I am starting season 3 of Game of Thrones tonight. No one say anything spoilery for the rest of the week next two days.

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    TehSloth wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Richy wrote: »
    I am starting season 3 of Game of Thrones tonight. No one say anything spoilery for the rest of the week.

Joffrey kills Maester Dumbledore
    Get dunked on

Yeah but that made Sansa Stark going into a rage and beheading Joffrey all the sweeter.

I didn't see that. I stopped watching after Drago came back as a dragon. Such lazy writing. So Spoiler.

I thought they really jumped the shark with the time travel

Yeah, I mean one minute they're shipwrecked on the Summer Isles and they find the hatch, the next minute everything's really the afterlife and the whole story was the gallow dream of a union soldier being hanged.

• TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    Podly wrote: »
    i can't tell if i'm actually naturally intelligent or just really good with language or if they are the same thing

with few exceptions, everything we know is contained within the language

I strongly disagree, unless we use a particularly expansive definition of 'language' that I would then take issue with.

care to elaborate?

Well, I'm projecting a little bit from conversations I've had before.

But let's start with an easy example. Imagine the Mona Lisa. You know what the Mona Lisa looks like. Is the knowledge of what the Mona Lisa looks like "contained within the language?"

Or, for a trollish philosophy of mind example (<3 podly), colorblind Mary. Colorblind Mary knows everything that can be conveyed linguistically about the color blue. However, I would argue that she doesn't know everything any human could possibly know about the color blue because she cannot know what it is like to see the color blue.

in what other way could i prove that i have seen the mona lisa than through language?

I'd guess most tourists just use photographs.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Variable wrote: »
    GoT s3
    I love rewatching shows, especially - obviously - ones I like that much.

but I cannot bring myself to look at any got with Rob Stark in it. that shit was heartbreaking. I now feel silly for not expecting something but I didn't at all.

I forget, did you read the books?

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    GoT s3
    I love rewatching shows, especially - obviously - ones I like that much.

but I cannot bring myself to look at any got with Rob Stark in it. that shit was heartbreaking. I now feel silly for not expecting something but I didn't at all.

I forget, did you read the books?

no. I read the first one but it was after the show, haven't looked at the others.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    i can't tell if i'm actually naturally intelligent or just really good with language or if they are the same thing

I strongly disagree, unless we use a particularly expansive definition of 'language' that I would then take issue with.

care to elaborate?

But let's start with an easy example. Imagine the Mona Lisa. You know what the Mona Lisa looks like. Is the knowledge of what the Mona Lisa looks like "contained within the language?"

Or, for a trollish philosophy of mind example (<3 podly), colorblind Mary. Colorblind Mary knows everything that can be conveyed linguistically about the color blue. However, I would argue that she doesn't know everything any human could possibly know about the color blue because she cannot know what it is like to see the color blue.

in what other way could i prove that i have seen the mona lisa than through language?

facebook selfie

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    adding a mod to a PM means they can see it, right?

do they get notified when they get added, or do you have to respond in some way?

the pm in question has disappeared from my inbox so I assume just adding tube was sufficient

I always add tube because his name is short and comes to mind when I get an unwanted PM and I imagine he is probably the meanest too. But then I always wonder if he's secretly getting mad at me for always dumping shit on him when any mod would do.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    Aioua wrote: »
    Yeah it's like.

I don't want to be a particle particle physicist. But I can go read an article about quarks and color charge and be all NEAT!. I don't get any of the math, but I don't need to if all I want is a general understanding of what people are on about these days.

I don't think you can do that with philosophy and it makes me sad.

I don't think that's true. I think that if you approached any philosopher about a particular area, they could give you a book to read that would give a cross section about what people are going on about. Except philosophy of language. I wouldn't know where to start there. Because it's highly technical, and you have to learn a bunch of terms and almost a new way of thinking before any of it makes sense. Like, when I look at just blocks of code, I imagine it's the sensation that people have when looking at serious philosophy of language. My jaw just goes slack a bit and I don't understand what's in front of me.

Hmm, okay then.

Do you have one for why physicalism is wrong? ^_^

I suppose that you're looking for something in mind then...

I would recommend David Chalmer's Conscious Mind: In Search of a Fundamental Theory. It's actually getting a little old these days (it was published in 99 I think), but it's a good book. Gives what I think is the most coherent non-materialist theory of mind. I'm largely persuaded by parts of it, though I'm a bit confused about where I fall on mind these days. After having taken my mind class I'm just more confused about where I sit. I'm either a property dualist or a non-reductive materialist. Those seem to me to be the only potentially correct theories, but the space between them is terribly small.

I just browsed amazon and there's the anthology that I used in my mind class which is quite good

Philosophy of Mind: Classical and Contemporary readings (edited by Chalmers). It's a great anthology, and covers pretty much every field in contemporary philosophy of mind. You'll mostly be reading things from the 20th century. It might be a couple years old though and you might not have the absolutely latest things.

There's also this other book Philosophy of Mind: A Beginners Introduction. I can't attest to it's goodness, because I haven't read it. Though it might be a good intro.

Also, keep in mind that most of Philosophy consists of articles. Publishing books happens, but even many book chapters appeared earlier as articles in journals. So reading collections of articles can be very illuminating.

Also bear with me, because Mind isn't my field.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    I am starting season 3 of Game of Thrones tonight. No one say anything spoilery for the rest of the week.

Joffrey kills Maester Dumbledore
    Get dunked on

Yeah but that made Sansa Stark going into a rage and beheading Joffrey all the sweeter.

I didn't see that. I stopped watching after Drago came back as a dragon. Such lazy writing. So Spoiler.

I thought they really jumped the shark with the time travel

Yeah, I mean one minute they're shipwrecked on the Summer Isles and they find the hatch, the next minute everything's really the afterlife and the whole story was the gallow dream of a union soldier being hanged.

I don't care what anyone says, Arya's 12-hour ninja murder spree in King's Landing is the pinnacle of modern entertainment.

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    rob stark
    was really stupid to bring his wife to the Twins

BOOK SPOILER
    which is why it made more sense when he didn't bring not-Talisa in the book, although I guess the show both wanted to shock us a bit more and wanted to firmly tie down that plot thread

• y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    I used to think I was smart but I'm pretty sure I am just faking it

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
    adding a mod to a PM means they can see it, right?

do they get notified when they get added, or do you have to respond in some way?

the pm in question has disappeared from my inbox so I assume just adding tube was sufficient

I always add tube because his name is short and comes to mind when I get an unwanted PM and I imagine he is probably the meanest too. But then I always wonder if he's secretly getting mad at me for always dumping shit on him when any mod would do.

Im going to create some alt accounts and send you the most kawaii hentai spam.
    The perfect crime.

• y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    To join in a 90 min old conversation

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Cool, thank @LFHX

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
    I realized I'm not very smart but most of the people around me are really stupid

not at work though, I'm definitely like bottom 10% here

but hey most of them still think Obama gives people free iphones so maybe intelligence isn't an exact science

Im not a brilliant boy, Im just a stupid girl
    *moog music*

• PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Stopped in to talk to my boss about my time off requests -- it looks like it's all good but he just never actually got them -- took a look at our time off requesting system

w8o63gszgio9.jpg

you're goddamn right ADP

You're a loose cannon!

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
    I've been here for almost 2 years and nobody has realized that they set up my ADP thing so that I approve my own hours

ive got pax badges
    awww yiiissssss

y2jake215 wrote: »

Nah jake, eff that, that's legit what a smart person would think.

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Omg

Humans using brain cycles on sports stats : computers using clock cycles on Bitcoin.

• PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    ive got pax badges
    awww yiiissssss
    Me too

All the holograms

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    ive got pax badges
    awww yiiissssss

I am envious of your wealth and social standing.

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    That is not reflective of what it seems anyone is doing.

I recognize that my experience is not indicative of the field.

I'm just describing how my undergrad was taught.

It was entirely my exposure to philo people after undergrad (partly through here, partly through friends) that I discovered that philo was actually doing interesting things.

i only ever took one philosophy course

it was jurisprudence/ philosophy of law

i was super jazzed

but the professor really just wanted to teach philosophy of feminism

so after an quick touch on st augustine we proceeded directly to a semester of catherine mackinnon and andrea dworkin

worst class ever

what a dick

oh man, not just feminism but second-wave feminism

that's uber trollish

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

care to elaborate?

Conflating proof of knowledge with knowledge is like conflating a toe with green nail polish with Mrs. Lebowski.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    i used to think i was clever

now i know i am a god

yyyyyyy

obF2Wuw.png
    edited March 2014
    Irond Will wrote: »
    That is not reflective of what it seems anyone is doing.

I recognize that my experience is not indicative of the field.

I'm just describing how my undergrad was taught.

It was entirely my exposure to philo people after undergrad (partly through here, partly through friends) that I discovered that philo was actually doing interesting things.

i only ever took one philosophy course

it was jurisprudence/ philosophy of law

i was super jazzed

but the professor really just wanted to teach philosophy of feminism

so after an quick touch on st augustine we proceeded directly to a semester of catherine mackinnon and andrea dworkin

worst class ever

what a dick

oh man, not just feminism but second-wave feminism

that's uber trollish

I took a class called Sex in the Ancient World that was secretly a feminism-framed history of gender issues, just one that looked as far back as you could find any kind of historical evidence in the western world.

At first I felt deceived but it ended up being a great course.

kedinik on
    i used to think i was clever

now i know i am a god

yyyyyyy

I'm a God just not a smart one

just as much power but I can't be trusted

• TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Re-watching (hundredth time?) Empire Strikes Back, because I finished The Clone Wars and wanted more Star Wars

was there ever an excuse made for why the inside of the asteroid-creature was warm enough to wander around in? It's completely exposed to space.

TL DR wrote: »
    Omg

Humans using brain cycles on sports stats : computers using clock cycles on Bitcoin.

Wilt chamberlain is the NBAs all time leading rebounder

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular

care to elaborate?

Conflating proof of knowledge with knowledge is like conflating a toe with green nail polish with Mrs. Lebowski.

Oh shit

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    pax badges are dropping in price but I want to pay $250 for 2 3-day badges, not $500 for 2.

Tamin wrote: »
    Re-watching (hundredth time?) Empire Strikes Back, because I finished The Clone Wars and wanted more Star Wars

was there ever an excuse made for why the inside of the asteroid-creature was warm enough to wander around in? It's completely exposed to space.

the force

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »

Everyone who is smart only knows how dumb they are. It's just science. It's much more reliable to eval yourself from the outside looking in. How much responsibility have you been given? What shit have you accomplished?

Side note: Do not perform this eval while mopey / drinking / within reach of firearms. It is for happy times only.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
    edited March 2014
    I didn't get a friday badge so I'm gonna just never ever read the friday schedule

Variable on
  • jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    g77db015e.jpg

This is the Sciences Po cat, hanging out at Sciences Po. According to my friend who's spending this semester in Paris as part of his PhD in techno-anthropology (sic), the cat keeps interrupting Latour.

Smart cat right? Just kidding I don't know enough about Latour to have opinions on him.

jakobagger on
  • jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    jesus christ that was a big photo, paris bro

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »

the force

High midichlorian counts.

This discussion has been closed.