As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I should have had [chat] prepared!

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Of course a science building would have a cat. A place incapable of understanding love is haunted by the avatar of loveless avarice.

• jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    seriously though, techno-anthropology

@desc‌

• Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    adding a mod to a PM means they can see it, right?

do they get notified when they get added, or do you have to respond in some way?

the pm in question has disappeared from my inbox so I assume just adding tube was sufficient

i was the one who took care of it. feral was the real hero here.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    jakobagger wrote: »
    seriously though, techno-anthropology

desc‌

with a minor in snarekickkicksnare studies

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    suzcheez i might have some super xpermental music for you

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »

do they get notified when they get added, or do you have to respond in some way?

the pm in question has disappeared from my inbox so I assume just adding tube was sufficient

that one had poetry in it

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    ive got pax badges
    awww yiiissssss

Give me your PAX Badges

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular

this is bullshit I better at least get partial credit toward my papist badge

• LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    I used to think I was smart but I'm pretty sure I am just faking it

Everyone who is smart only knows how dumb they are. It's just science. It's much more reliable to eval yourself from the outside looking in. How much responsibility have you been given? What shit have you accomplished?

Side note: Do not perform this eval while mopey / drinking / within reach of firearms. It is for happy times only.

All I know is that I don't know anything.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »

i only ever took one philosophy course

it was jurisprudence/ philosophy of law

i was super jazzed

but the professor really just wanted to teach philosophy of feminism

so after an quick touch on st augustine we proceeded directly to a semester of catherine mackinnon and andrea dworkin

worst class ever

what a dick

oh man, not just feminism but second-wave feminism

that's uber trollish

I took a class called Sex in the Ancient World that was secretly a feminism-framed history of gender issues, just one that looked as far back as you could find any kind of historical evidence in the western world.

At first I felt deceived but it ended up being a great course.

The old bait and snatch

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    I didn't even get one this time.

• kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    g77db015e.jpg

This is the Sciences Po cat, hanging out at Sciences Po. According to my friend who's spending this semester in Paris as part of his PhD in techno-anthropology (sic), the cat keeps interrupting Latour.

Smart cat right? Just kidding I don't know enough about Latour to have opinions on him.

At a glance, Latour's ideas seem pretty goosey.

Scientific work is the purely subjective, socially constructed affirmation of unfounded orthodoxy?

Trolling so hard.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
    g77db015e.jpg

This is the Sciences Po cat, hanging out at Sciences Po. According to my friend who's spending this semester in Paris as part of his PhD in techno-anthropology (sic), the cat keeps interrupting Latour.

Smart cat right? Just kidding I don't know enough about Latour to have opinions on him.

Scientists and their work are purely subjective, socially constructed affirmations of unfounded orthodoxy?

Trolling so hard.

he's just repeating feyerabend anyway olololololol

why doesn't anyone ever send me heinous pm's :(

They fear my wrath don't they? Yes. Yes, that's the reason why.

• PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    I didn't get a friday badge so I'm gonna just never ever read the friday schedule

"How to crush every Protoss: What Obama doesn't want you to know. Featuring Jaedong, Innovation, Maru and Boxer."

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited March 2014

this is bullshit I better at least get partial credit toward my papist badge

sorry you are a heretical splinter sect at best

maybe u get a few points towards melchisedechian

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Tamin wrote: »
    Re-watching (hundredth time?) Empire Strikes Back, because I finished The Clone Wars and wanted more Star Wars

was there ever an excuse made for why the inside of the asteroid-creature was warm enough to wander around in? It's completely exposed to space.

the rule of two

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    ive got pax badges
    awww yiiissssss

Give me your PAX Badges

I imagine we'll be done early. we're not the panel and wait in line type.
    I JUST WANT THE SWAG
    YOLOSWAG

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    so if i pass everything alright, my remaining courses are:

physics 1
    physics 2
    math or computer-y elective

this assumes i keep a passing grade in calc 2 (god knows with that Real Terror final exam in 5 weeks), my stupid mistake about my comp org midterm doesn't destroy me etc

registration is live now

i guess i register for my elective (either linear algebra or computer networking, probably) and physics 1

calc-based or algebra-based is the question i guess? calc-based i dropped before, it's challenging, but it also has a very wonderful prof who i like a lot. just couldn't manage it last semester while trying to get my arms around calc 2. poor time management. it is definitely hard tho and a lot of work. alg-based physics less dificult i guess but also the profs are an unknown quantity. and on the off chance i apply somewhere more rigorous than temple, i may need calc-based physics to satisfy my lab science requirement for CS

hmmmmm

also linear alg or like, networking/unix/web design/whatever other computery stuff

g77db015e.jpg

Scientists and their work are purely subjective, socially constructed affirmations of unfounded orthodoxy?

Trolling so hard.

he's just repeating feyerabend anyway olololololol

That does seem right, heh.

Maybe even notwithstanding Latour's book about how Latour might have opened Pandora's box by inventing that line of study!

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Do you have to register the pax badges or something?
    There was an insert that said something to the effect of "Dont line up before 8AM" or whatever.
    Do people really line up to get into the convention center?

Ludious wrote: »

The kind of abuse you seek is not found cheaply.

Maybe even notwithstanding Latour's book about how Latour might have opened Pandora's box by inventing that line of study!

honestly i dunno who came first or who influenced whom, if either or at all

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    so if i pass everything alright, my remaining courses are:

physics 1
    physics 2
    math or computer-y elective

this assumes i keep a passing grade in calc 2 (god knows with that Real Terror final exam in 5 weeks), my stupid mistake about my comp org midterm doesn't destroy me etc

registration is live now

i guess i register for my elective (either linear algebra or computer networking, probably) and physics 1

calc-based or algebra-based is the question i guess? calc-based i dropped before, it's challenging, but it also has a very wonderful prof who i like a lot. just couldn't manage it last semester while trying to get my arms around calc 2. poor time management. it is definitely hard tho and a lot of work. alg-based physics less dificult i guess but also the profs are an unknown quantity. and on the off chance i apply somewhere more rigorous than temple, i may need calc-based physics to satisfy my lab science requirement for CS

hmmmmm

also linear alg or like, networking/unix/web design/whatever other computery stuff

Man, fuck Linear Algebra. Hated that shit. The networking class would be much easier, if nothing else.

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    There was an insert that said something to the effect of "Dont line up before 8AM" or whatever.

no you don't need to do anything with your badge

yes there are enormous lines if you want to get in exactly as it opens, especially on friday

(throughout the day you just walk in with no line)

Well, think of it like this

If you're there at 8AM, there's at least one thing you can do with absolutely no waiting in line at all.

Like, go get the PAX skin for LoL.

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    ive got pax badges
    awww yiiissssss

Give me your PAX Badges

I JUST WANT THE SWAG
    YOLOSWAG

buy me patches if they have patches. pin's are for people who want to loose things. patches are forever.

steam_sig.png
    i really preferred calc-based physics because it was more reasoning-based and less rote.

it was far more interesting and challenging to me

however

if you are not solid in physics and linear algebra you might want to just go with alg-based physics so you can check it off the list without having to stress too much about it. you are not majoring in physics - you should be focusing on CS

Wqdwp8l.png
    edited March 2014

yes there are enormous lines if you want to get in exactly as it opens, especially on friday

What the fuck?
    Just let me in. Hell let me in at 7:45 so I can get all the swag and leave before the nerds get there.

Deebaser on
    Ludious wrote: »

i should get an honorary certificate in gynecology for the number of papist smears i've gotten from the cunt

ive got pax badges
    awww yiiissssss

Give me your PAX Badges

I JUST WANT THE SWAG
    YOLOSWAG

buy me patches if they have patches. pin's are for people who want to loose things. patches are forever.

On the contrary, pins are for people who want to hold things together!

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Podly wrote: »
    suzcheez i might have some super xpermental music for you

noiceee

obF2Wuw.png
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    tumblr_mwhdozLJPb1t2q3xxo1_500.jpg

honestly i dunno who came first or who influenced whom, if either or at all

Look Feral, I don't want you getting in the way of the thin speculations I'm making on the basis of a few quick glances at wikipedia.

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular

Yeah, if you dont want the keynote, hang out outside of the line in the front or something, and go in like 20-30 minutes after everything opens up.

steam_sig.png
    edited March 2014
    @syndalis @Deebaser‌
    my wife sent me this bit of glossolalia that she assured me made sense because she felt as though I was making play-dough dioramas to explain what was happening.
    The problem is that this dataset has grown by leaps and bounds unexpectedly due to unforseen changes in company policy that suddenly took the need from a few spreadsheets to dozens, then grew even more from there. It was all set up by one individual who had to make due with limited manpower. I don't know what all happened in those early phases and why things were set up like this but I can assure you the guy is brilliant - it's just that he was working alone with limited tools at his disposal and didn't realize this would grow so quickly. So while it may have made sense for him to set it up like this in the early days, it doesn't anymore. While access would certainly be the preferable route to go with large amounts of data, it just cannot handle enough users at a time without a sql back end or some such. We now have literally hundreds of people who need to access some of these spreadsheets but not be able to access the others, which we accomplish by having various rights groups on sharepoint and each group can only access their documents. We are in the process of sourcing talent to build a more suitable environment to fit our needs but due to company policies and regulations on security there is red tape like you wouldn't believe to get through before that becomes a reality. We're talking a year or more.

So in the mean time I still have to make my bosses happy and make reports that will work with what we have in place now. Thankfully, today we came up with the solution. He was able to consolidate all the data in a single excel sheet via some VBA coding that copies the data from each spreadsheet. In each sheet there is a formula that counts the number of rows and the code uses that cell to know how many rows to copy. This was actually my idea but I didn't know how to write it in VBA - he did. Problem solved.

Ludious on
    also i loved linear algebra and use it all the time

so there is that as well

Wqdwp8l.png
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

What the fuck?
    Just let me in. Hell let me in at 7:45 so I can get all the swag and leave before the nerds get there.

You have pax badges

The nerd is you

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

They do line up.

I don't know why.

If you get there when it opens you just kinda walk in no problem.

Nerds be crazy yo.

This discussion has been closed.