As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I should have had [chat] prepared!

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I want dark souls 2 but for master race and not xbox

i own the original on master race but haven't played it. kind of afraid it will make me a shrill, whining quitter.

• Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    they've had lame and weird things happen at the q&a but nothing like that in boston so far

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    Assuming no hiccups in the paperwork I should officially be a homeowner this afternoon or tomorrow morning.

I made a diagram of the floorplan. The bank's part of the house is in red, mine is in green. I started at the front door with a tiny green square.

Each month I color in a bit more.

that's not how mortgages work, spool. But here I am, expecting a republican to understand debt.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    TehSloth wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    i've only been to one panel ever (q&a with mike and jerry). i liked it actually, i dunno why i never did another panel of any sort. just never shakes out. i'd rather spend that time talking to friends i guess than quietly watching a presentation.

And they cut all the Q&A with Mike and Jerry this year!

I'm so sad... now I only have 1 panel to go to... what will I do with all this extra time?

I think they do Q&A during make a strip, but I could be misremembering. Weird that they aren't doing the regular Q&A though this year.

They do, which is why I'm still going to that.

But Mike is usually pretty occupied with drawing so you don't get quite the same interaction between the two of them.

Making me real sad.

They are combining Make a Strip and the proper Q&A into one big thing, with submitted questions.

And if you're wondering why, I have a theory which I will put in spoilers because it is liable to start a row and you're welcome to just skip over it:
    You can basically thank freakouts and concerted efforts to damage their brand by people with various social justice agendas. Way to go, tumblr. Way to go, internet, you fucked up another cool thing by making people gun-shy of any interaction.

You are making me more sad not less sad.

Stahp.

Yeah but look what they're replacing it with. Less structured public interactions, more personal interactions. Tons of signing/pin trading hangout time.
    I think that's a good thing.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    I'm probably coming down with something.

I dunno if you were around for this yesterday -- is funny and might cheer you up

subaru dealership uses some non-union contractors for part of an expansion and so the unions put up signs, and they respond in kind

suburu.jpg

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

I got it for master race

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    I'm probably coming down with something.

Hopefully a conscience

That's hardly likely

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited March 2014

i own the original on master race but haven't played it. kind of afraid it will make me a shrill, whining quitter.

Look here, chu.

Just understand that it's a thinking game and not so much a twitch-reaction game.

It's actually almost easy, I think, if you approach it with that expectation.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    guys

GUYS

ba6d6d623cee3dfc13df0898b8bc3528.jpeg

I found the next Shepard.

• Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    And if you're wondering why, I have a theory which I will put in spoilers because it is liable to start a row and you're welcome to just skip over it:
    You can basically thank freakouts and concerted efforts to damage their brand by people with various social justice agendas. Way to go, tumblr. Way to go, internet, you fucked up another cool thing by making people gun-shy of any interaction.

Their stated reason is "We can only answer 'what do you like more, ninjas or pirates' so many times."

and considering some of the nonsense they get asked at their panels, that seems like an accurate complaint

if you want to go to a Jerry & Mike panel, having one panel to go to makes it easy to see what you want to see, get what you want out of it, and you don't have problems with repeat questions / time-wasting nonsense because there's only one, focused panel instead of a dozen awkward hangouts.

and FWIW, although I think the relationship has been rocky, the social justice agenda has been pretty good overall to PAX. A con nominally open to anyone, not just white male nerd fans, is good for the industry and good for the community.

Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular

make you?

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Does anyone still play LoL?

Nope.

:( I'd play!

But I'm way too into Titanfall and Dark Soulz.

seriously tho i've been playing a little bit recently

mafia graves still because i am a boring person who fears change

I will play with both you homps

Why do you not LoL with me?

Is it because I ate goat that one time?

It was just once, I swear.

ye eat one goat...

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    SnWkTXB.png

isn't that screencaps from God Bless America or whatever its called?
    The dude winds up shooting her int he face while she's in the car and then setting the car on fire.

It was My Sweet Sixteen.

I hated that show.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    @‌Deebaser

We are not small dudes. I am 6'1", 285 give or take (hopefully less by Pax)
    You see that picture? I see a bunch of scrawny scrubs standing in between me and a LoL Skin. That's what I see. I don't see a barrier, I see an opportunity to violate all kinds of personal space. We can make a game of it. The game starts by taking two klonopin each. Then you wait about 15 minutes, and start slowly walking forward into the sea of nerd.

We will be at the front in like 30 seconds.

it's not the nerds it's their 140 lb backpacks

Can we just topple them by yanking their top strap?

u are running the risk of the other nerds being alarmed by the strangled yawp from the back and all simultaneously whipping around to see what is going on

concussion city dogg

They'll be turning around to face the incident. Worst case scenario, they knock over all the other oversized pack mules like dominos.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Is it really smart for a Subaru dealership to mock unions? Don't lesbians tend to like unions?

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    my girl sees conflict diamonds as a testament to our bond

i'm willing to let people die if it will make you happy

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Podly wrote: »
    they should make a my super sweet 16 where she gets the car and starts crying

"you're such a jerk!'
    "how could you get me a car?!"
    "your such an asshole!"
    "you should have donated the money to charity!"
    "i hate my family, capitalist pigs!"

Social Justice Bridezillas

"I can't believe you would get me this BLOOD DIAMOND, did you tear out the poor 8-year-old miner's heart yourself when he collapsed from the back breaking labor because that's what you're doing to me right now"

this is totally the girls who I date

every woman I've ever been in a relationship with has ranged from "eh, I don't really care for diamonds" on the mild end to "IF YOU BUY ME A BLOOD DIAMOND I WILL THROW IT IN YOUR FACE" on the extreme end

say what you want about poly or feminism or the SF area or whatever, that's still pretty awesome

Ugh, I've got this paranoid fear of falling in love with someone who just doesn't get why diamond engagement rings are just bad, and won't accept that I'd never buy one, and then we have to break up.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2014
    PantsB wrote: »
    Wait do people actually care about college GPA anywhere in a job interview? Its the kind of thing I'd internally laugh at if brought up repeatedly in an interview

I never put it on my resume yet it came up in every interview I did. Most of the time I was chided afterwards for not putting it on my resume since it was "a big deal" to them and could have hurt my chances had it not come up in the interview.

They cant get this without transcripts right? Are they actually going to do this? If I am a grown ass man looking for a non entry level position, I'm really not sure how I am going to answer that question when I have ~8 years experience. I doubt I could tell them what my degree was for at that point.

I leave it blank whenever I have to fill out one of those things. You gotta draw a line somewhere. No one will ever look or care or anything.
    Lot of employers have asked for my transcripts after hiring me.

You're kidding right?

I've never heard of that happening to anyone ever! Are you doing some sort of sciencing or something wherein people care?
    i have designed/engineered stuff that could hurt/maim/kill if it failed.

I have also been around someone that said they were a degrees engineer and that was either a complete lie or his engineering program was the worst. Was university of Houston though so I think it's more likely that he fibbed.

degrees...engineer?

yeah I've had to produce transcripts for all my jobs. I'm in a similar position where if I fuck up monstrously a whole lot of people could get hurt or killed.

I was on my phone . should have read 'degreed' engineer. New mobile site is murder etc.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    i've only been to one panel ever (q&a with mike and jerry). i liked it actually, i dunno why i never did another panel of any sort. just never shakes out. i'd rather spend that time talking to friends i guess than quietly watching a presentation.

I'm so sad... now I only have 1 panel to go to... what will I do with all this extra time?

I think they do Q&A during make a strip, but I could be misremembering. Weird that they aren't doing the regular Q&A though this year.

But Mike is usually pretty occupied with drawing so you don't get quite the same interaction between the two of them.

Making me real sad.

They are combining Make a Strip and the proper Q&A into one big thing, with submitted questions.

Stahp.

Yeah but look what they're replacing it with. Less structured public interactions, more personal interactions. Tons of signing/pin trading hangout time.

I just wanted to watch them talk to each other and be funny. I have nothing to say to them personally so this doesn't help me at all!

• Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    "Marriage differs from concubinage inasmuch as the latter is chiefly concerned with the satisfaction of the natural drive, whereas this drive is made subordinate in marriage. That is why, within marriage, one make speak unblushingly of natural functions which, in extra-marital relationships, would produce a feeling of shame."

Hegel says it's cool to talk about pooping with your spouse. In fact, this is one of the defining characteristics of marriage.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    hahaah sloth that is fantastic :)

• Options
    Trace wrote: »
    guys

GUYS

omg i would switch to maleshep so fast

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    apparently the last time that khoo released figures, pax east was larger than pax prime

that was in 2012 and i am p sure that pax east grew in 2013. it certainly felt a lot bigger and had a much larger footprint.

so what i'm saying is beast coast best coast

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    I wish I had a 'sweet 16'

i think i just went out to a restaurant with aaron

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »

"you're such a jerk!'
    "your such an asshole!"

"I can't believe you would get me this BLOOD DIAMOND, did you tear out the poor 8-year-old miner's heart yourself when he collapsed from the back breaking labor because that's what you're doing to me right now"

every woman I've ever been in a relationship with has ranged from "eh, I don't really care for diamonds" on the mild end to "IF YOU BUY ME A BLOOD DIAMOND I WILL THROW IT IN YOUR FACE" on the extreme end

say what you want about poly or feminism or the SF area or whatever, that's still pretty awesome

My wife doesn't like either jewelry or the industry around diamonds. It's nice to never buy jewelry.

most of the girls in my life like jewelry, just not diamonds.

i got my gf this and she lurves it

925_sterling_silver_cat_ring_98aad3e8.jpg

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    I'm curious if any of you happen to know how well Mac OS X handles its own garbage collection of deleted files, seeing as by design they mostly - as far as I'm aware - take that out of your hands.

syndalis‌

Not quite sure what you mean WRT "garbage collection of deleted files"

Garbage collection of objects and arrays in memory is pretty solid...

When you delete a file, it drops it from the file system... if you delete a file via interface / Automator functions it goes into a trash bin...

OSX is SMART capable now, so SSDs don't get junked over a long enough timeline like they used to...

If I put a file into the bin and I force the bin to empty, is it still cluttering up my usable memory until OS X gets around to doing something else later? In the manner that such a deletion would still leave memory less usable on Windows, but which you can fix there with a defrag.

It kind of feels on the basis of my laptop slowing down over time that yes, there is some defrag corollary that needs to run and sometimes does, but no it does not run immediately and no you cannot force it to run.

i am p sure that, just like on windows, the deallocated bytes are not immediately blanked out - they are just made available for allocation and overwritten whenever data is allocated in those sectors.

if you need something blanked out you should get a utility that does this.

So that's how all file systems have always worked. Deleting a file removes its record from a tree and that's that. Nothing is actually done with the vast majority of bits it was using on the disk.

In general, defrag as an activity that the user does to improve performance is outdated. There are lazy-defrag algorithms that push around bits of files as they are accessed and changed that are proven to be faster in the long run. Frequently accessed files are slowly pushed together, infrequently accessed files are allowed to drift apart. Rather than forcing everything to be contiguous, smarter schemes are used that better reflect the realities of caching and where bottlenecks actually form (turns out its not always seek time finding file fragments).

Logging the usage data and then doing all the optimal moves at once would not only be roughly the same overhead, it would require the user stop working and allow the process to complete, making it roundly an inferior solution.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    Does anyone still play LoL?

Nope.

:( I'd play!

But I'm way too into Titanfall and Dark Soulz.

seriously tho i've been playing a little bit recently

mafia graves still because i am a boring person who fears change

I will play with both you homps

Why do you not LoL with me?

Is it because I ate goat that one time?

It was just once, I swear.

Can't hold goat eating against a man, goats are great and "delicious" is just one of the many wonder traits a goat possesses. Forgiveness is another, so said goat probably doesn't hold it against you, although building a mini goat shrine and/or buying Goat Simulator would be worthwhile penance

anyways

I will LoL with you

I'm "JayFoe" in THE LEAGUE

I'm bad at everything and exclusively play Nidalee Support

carry me to plat plz

Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    edited March 2014

make you?

i deserve this for criticizing the outfit you wore to klong to anyone who would listen for the past 3 years

Organichu on
  • Options
    "Marriage differs from concubinage inasmuch as the latter is chiefly concerned with the satisfaction of the natural drive, whereas this drive is made subordinate in marriage. That is why, within marriage, one make speak unblushingly of natural functions which, in extra-marital relationships, would produce a feeling of shame."

Hegel says it's cool to talk about pooping with your spouse. In fact, this is one of the defining characteristics of marriage.

Well the conclusion is right, at any rate.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    guys

GUYS

Liara
    Liiarrraaaa

WHAT?!?!?!

Danger Zone

• Options

honestly if you won't playing it for fear that you won't play it... kind of self-fulfilling, no?

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Why would they let it fade out?

They will just end it before he does.

They know the intended endings for the character arcs.

there is something about this that I love

olol get owned original creator you are too fucking slow we are finishing your shit

yeah you can release your book after or whatever

prolly put arya's actress's face on the front

maybe 'adapted from a major television series'

pls don't plagiarize our dialogue, (c) HBO

Kubrick pulled that shit with Arthur C. Clarke.

• Options
    syndalis wrote: »
    I'm curious if any of you happen to know how well Mac OS X handles its own garbage collection of deleted files, seeing as by design they mostly - as far as I'm aware - take that out of your hands.

syndalis‌

Not quite sure what you mean WRT "garbage collection of deleted files"

Garbage collection of objects and arrays in memory is pretty solid...

When you delete a file, it drops it from the file system... if you delete a file via interface / Automator functions it goes into a trash bin...

OSX is SMART capable now, so SSDs don't get junked over a long enough timeline like they used to...

If I put a file into the bin and I force the bin to empty, is it still cluttering up my usable memory until OS X gets around to doing something else later? In the manner that such a deletion would still leave memory less usable on Windows, but which you can fix there with a defrag.

It kind of feels on the basis of my laptop slowing down over time that yes, there is some defrag corollary that needs to run and sometimes does, but no it does not run immediately and no you cannot force it to run.

i am p sure that, just like on windows, the deallocated bytes are not immediately blanked out - they are just made available for allocation and overwritten whenever data is allocated in those sectors.

if you need something blanked out you should get a utility that does this.

So that's how all file systems have always worked. Deleting a file removes its record from a tree and that's that. Nothing is actually done with the vast majority of bits it was using on the disk.

In general, defrag as an activity that the user does to improve performance is outdated. There are lazy-defrag algorithms that push around bits of files as they are accessed and changed that are proven to be faster in the long run. Frequently accessed files are slowly pushed together, infrequently accessed files are allowed to drift apart. Rather than forcing everything to be contiguous, smarter schemes are used that better reflect the realities of caching and where bottlenecks actually form (turns out its not always seek time finding file fragments).

Logging the usage data and then doing all the optimal moves at once would not only be roughly the same overhead, it would require the user stop working and allow the process to complete, making it roundly an inferior solution.

That's pretty cool to know.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I wish I had a 'sweet 16'

i think i just went out to a restaurant with aaron

As a Euro, 16 was just a birthday.

18 and 21 are way more important.

Also that scene in particular infuriated me for the sheer lack of gratitude for a car that costs more than I make in a year.

I mean, I don't mind when people get really expensive things. Not appreciating it makes me mad.

• Options
    Aioua wrote: »

Making me real sad.

Stahp.

I just wanted to watch them talk to each other and be funny. I have nothing to say to them personally so this doesn't help me at all!

last year we were sitting in tabletop freeplay doing whatever, prolly jerking our dicks, when we notice a crowd gathering near us

the next table over is people playing osme game and jerry is there, bald head and all, at teh table

he is obviously just playing a game, maybe for the first time, not doing a public event or anything at the moment

but he was soon encircled

it was amazing

(i guess it is expected for central public figures but man)

• Options
    Deebaser wrote: »
    guys

GUYS

Liara
    Liiarrraaaa

WHAT?!?!?!

Danger Zone

beginning of ME2, investigating a collector attack

"the people... they just disappeared... they left everything behind... even their food"

"that's how you get ants!"

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    I went to office depot and sat in some chairs

they all seemed meh

are they all just alike and I should pick one up for $75, or is there a great one on amazon, or should I find a used herman miller, or

????

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    i am a horrible gift buyer as a boyfriend

i think it took me four years to buy my ex something, have yet to buy my gf any

of course I'm not buying you a decoration

there are synthesizers to be purchased and restaurants to dine at

duh

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod

"you're such a jerk!'
    "your such an asshole!"

My wife doesn't like either jewelry or the industry around diamonds. It's nice to never buy jewelry.

most of the girls in my life like jewelry, just not diamonds.

i got my gf this and she lurves it

925_sterling_silver_cat_ring_98aad3e8.jpg

51557.jpg

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Sweet 16 should be a test. If you are ungrateful about your gift you are killed.

This discussion has been closed.