As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I should have had [chat] prepared!

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    And if you're wondering why, I have a theory which I will put in spoilers because it is liable to start a row and you're welcome to just skip over it:
    You can basically thank freakouts and concerted efforts to damage their brand by people with various social justice agendas. Way to go, tumblr. Way to go, internet, you fucked up another cool thing by making people gun-shy of any interaction.

Their stated reason is "We can only answer 'what do you like more, ninjas or pirates' so many times."

and considering some of the nonsense they get asked at their panels, that seems like an accurate complaint

if you want to go to a Jerry & Mike panel, having one panel to go to makes it easy to see what you want to see, get what you want out of it, and you don't have problems with repeat questions / time-wasting nonsense because there's only one, focused panel instead of a dozen awkward hangouts.

and FWIW, although I think the relationship has been rocky, the social justice agenda has been pretty good overall to PAX. A con nominally open to anyone, not just white male nerd fans, is good for the industry and good for the community.

I'm pretty sure PAX East 2012 was also open to women and minorities.

Having one panel to go to means the whole attendance will need to vie for limited spaces rather than some going one day, some another. Less likely to get in or get good seats. Less opportunity for more intimate interactions.

Whatever the stated reason, the blowback from the last panel where a hard question was asked means they just can't let themselves be exposed to unfiltered questions or tons and tons of opportunities to mess up again.

Too many people are waiting for them to mess up, so they can get more clicks for themselves with their continued attempt to tear some people down.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    51557.jpg

she would probably legit put that poster up if I gave it to her and nonironically love it

she might even harbor a secret desire to own such a poster that she is too embarrassed to voice

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    I went to office depot and sat in some chairs

they all seemed meh

are they all just alike and I should pick one up for $75, or is there a great one on amazon, or should I find a used herman miller, or

????

herman miller or yoga ball are the only two real options.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    I'm serious, it was rare for a MSSS episode to not include a similarly wealthy girl saying almost the exact same silly complaint. There have got to be at least 100 clips that are just like it.

If it wasn't delivering the car early, the problem was the color of the car. If it wasn't the color then it was the make. Etc.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Trace wrote: »
    guys

GUYS

ba6d6d623cee3dfc13df0898b8bc3528.jpeg

I found the next Shepard.

Liara
    Liiarrraaaa

WHAT?!?!?!

ENEMIES EVERYWHERE

Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Sweet 16 should be a test. If you are ungrateful about your gift you are killed.

what an original idea
    photo_07.jpg

Ludious on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    I wish I had a 'sweet 16'

i think i just went out to a restaurant with aaron

As a Euro, 16 was just a birthday.

18 and 21 are way more important.

Also that scene in particular infuriated me for the sheer lack of gratitude for a car that costs more than I make in a year.

I mean, I don't mind when people get really expensive things. Not appreciating it makes me mad.

that is the correct year

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    It's been quietly pointed out to me that if I decide to ask my lady love to marry me, that there is a family ring that all parties would prefer to be used and it has a big honking sapphire in it. Or at least I think that's what was said. I started hyperventilating a few minutes into that conversation.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    The whole mindset and history behind Sweet 16/Quinceañera is really disturbing to me, and nothing moreso about that than it's still a thing.

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited March 2014
    I wish I had a 'sweet 16'

i think i just went out to a restaurant with aaron

As a Euro, 16 was just a birthday.

18 and 21 are way more important.

Also that scene in particular infuriated me for the sheer lack of gratitude for a car that costs more than I make in a year.

I mean, I don't mind when people get really expensive things. Not appreciating it makes me mad.

i actually don't know why 16 is considered important in the US

i guess it's the age you can get your drivers license in many states

and probably the age of consent in others

but 18 is a much bigger deal because HS graduation + emancipation

and 21 is a big deal because legal drinking

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    It's been quietly pointed out to me that if I decide to ask my lady love to marry me, that there is a family ring that all parties would prefer to be used and it has a big honking sapphire in it. Or at least I think that's what was said. I started hyperventilating a few minutes into that conversation.

thats sweet

so u dont have to buy one

swag

wat u should do is promise to marry her, jack the ring, sell it for mad swag, then pretend to have second thoughts then doa backflip

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Ludious wrote: »
    Sweet 16 should be a test. If you are ungrateful about your gift you are killed.

what an original idea
    GOD BLESS AMERICA

i fucking hated this movie

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Old family ring with a huge sapphire sounds awesome to me, assuming said family is not totally fucking insane.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Feral wrote: »
    kedinik wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    TehSloth wrote: »
    Podly wrote: »
    they should make a my super sweet 16 where she gets the car and starts crying

"you're such a jerk!'
    "how could you get me a car?!"
    "your such an asshole!"
    "you should have donated the money to charity!"
    "i hate my family, capitalist pigs!"

Social Justice Bridezillas

"I can't believe you would get me this BLOOD DIAMOND, did you tear out the poor 8-year-old miner's heart yourself when he collapsed from the back breaking labor because that's what you're doing to me right now"

this is totally the girls who I date

every woman I've ever been in a relationship with has ranged from "eh, I don't really care for diamonds" on the mild end to "IF YOU BUY ME A BLOOD DIAMOND I WILL THROW IT IN YOUR FACE" on the extreme end

say what you want about poly or feminism or the SF area or whatever, that's still pretty awesome

My wife doesn't like either jewelry or the industry around diamonds. It's nice to never buy jewelry.

most of the girls in my life like jewelry, just not diamonds.

i got my gf this and she lurves it

[img]http ://www.artfire.com/uploads/product/6/736/35736/5135736/5135736/large/925_sterling_silver_cat_ring_98aad3e8.jpg[/img]

Yeah, that's fair. Maybe I could've been more clear, too.

It's not that she hates jewelry, but that she only usually likes aesthetically standout instances of it, which is true in almost every context any ways.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Ludious I read all the content on the website you have and run in your sig. It took me 4 minutes.

• Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    Be careful with any old family jewelry

have a certified enchanter check it for curses first

Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Organichu wrote: »

what an original idea
    GOD BLESS AMERICA

I thought it was going to be funny going in but it was just terrible on every level

override367 on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    The whole mindset and history behind Sweet 16/Quinceañera is really disturbing to me, and nothing moreso about that than it's still a thing.

Always kinda odd when I go to the Galleria on a Saturday and have to remind myself that's not a group of kids coming from their prom.

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Be careful with any old family jewelry

have a certified enchanter check it for curses first

Make sure it is not a cut rate one either. "Don't worry, that red glow is nothing. It is safe to put on!"

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod

what an original idea
    GOD BLESS AMERICA

i haven't seen it

but it's a sufficiently ugly conceit that i wonder if it wasn't intended as a plea for circumspection re: being cynical about how horrible everyone is and wishing ill on them.

then again maybe not!

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Old family ring with a huge sapphire sounds awesome to me, assuming said family is not totally fucking insane.

Half and half. Her dad loathes me, her mom likes me.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    written and directed by bobcat goldthwait

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »
    It's not that she hates jewelry, but that she only usually likes aesthetically standout instances of it, which is true in almost every context any ways.

Makes sense. I dated a girl a few years ago who legitimately hated jewelry. But she was kind of a serious 'abolish the wage system' type of communist.

She didn't march or shout or anything (she was actually really shy and quiet) but she thought conspicuous consumption was dumb.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    I still think a jetski is a better way to propose than a ring

twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular

what an original idea
    GOD BLESS AMERICA

i haven't seen it

but it's a sufficiently ugly conceit that i wonder if it wasn't intended as a plea for circumspection re: being cynical about how horrible everyone is and wishing ill on them.

then again maybe not!

Yea that's what I thought too but nope

• Options

what an original idea
    GOD BLESS AMERICA

i haven't seen it

then again maybe not!

Have you ever seen The Last Supper? It's the same basic conceit, but handled well.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular

what an original idea
    GOD BLESS AMERICA

i haven't seen it

then again maybe not!

No that's exactly what it is. It's Bobcat Goldthwait. That's what he does.
    Shakes the Clown, etc.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    OH ONLY ONE PERSON HAS AN OPINION BOUT MY LUMBAR

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular

Always kinda odd when I go to the Galleria on a Saturday and have to remind myself that's not a group of kids coming from their prom.

It just seems like such a gross condoning of oppressive objectification and sexualizing of young girls.

But, I mean, that's definitely a thing that people do.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular

No, parents are killed and child is sent to farm turnips in Romania until sufficiently reeducated.

• Options
    dang one of my good friends from high school just quit his job

he's been with the same company (four seasons) since he graduated college : 0

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular

Half and half. Her dad loathes me, her mom likes me.

y does her father hate on u

is he just a hater

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

what an original idea
    GOD BLESS AMERICA

i haven't seen it

then again maybe not!

I was really hoping it would be an exploitive mix, where I get to have it both ways. My inner brooding teen who hates all those ungrateful little shits gets to have fun but in the end, that worldview is revealed as the sham it is. I knew it could never live up to that expectation so I gave it a pass when I had the opportunity to watch it.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    dang one of my good friends from high school just quit his job

he's been with the same company (four seasons) since he graduated college : 0

if i had graduated college, i'd have been at this company since i graduated college, years-wise

god damn it now i'm depressed

• Options
    ge64f0d93.png

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Do you have to register the pax badges or something?
    There was an insert that said something to the effect of "Dont line up before 8AM" or whatever.
    Do people really line up to get into the convention center?

2446994-9059665673-21763.jpg

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    meh

meh

meh

• Options
    http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/fud/4354230242.html

this is nice looking but that's a lot of dollars

• Options

It just seems like such a gross condoning of oppressive objectification and sexualizing of young girls.

But, I mean, that's definitely a thing that people do.

I've never actually been to one so I have no idea.

• Options
    http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/fud/4354230242.html

this is nice looking but that's a lot of dollars

bro, aeron

twitch.tv/tehsloth
This discussion has been closed.