As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I should have had [chat] prepared!

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    My parents are texting photos of plates of food on their vacation, but instead of crazy hole in the walls or home cooking, they are in the florida keys and the photos are all taken at like, carrabba's.

It's kind of adorable.

Why even go on vacation if you're not going to eat weird local food?

Cinders came over and I got her duck at a place where the menu wasn't even in English.

caveat: no matter the local custom, I won't eat bugs. that's where I draw the line.

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    wow I just got to a point in this python tutorial where I can't do any of the problems

what a bad feeling

this is the feeling u get just before u give up on something

• LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Because I've been told that Labor Theory is pretty shit wrong, but it wasn't sufficiently explained to me why.

Oh that one is easy! We don't even need to batsignal econodog.

But I will use him as an example.

Consider how much time you spend making posts on the forums. Consider the example of a lawyer who writes briefs. Let's say Lawyerdog spends as much time writing briefs for clients as Econodog spends making posts.

For the sake of argument, let's also say that Econodog and Lawyerdog have the same amount of schooling. Probably a bad example for Econodog, but we do have real lawyers and other postgraduate professionals on the forums, so it's not hard to imagine.

Does an Econodog post have the same value as a Lawyerdog legal brief, assuming they spent the same amount of time writing them?

No, of course not, that would be fucking retarded.

There are LVT counterarguments to this sort of thought experiment, but they usually render LVT unworkable in the real world (by positing some other type of value that is invisible and immeasurable, for instance). It really did not take long after Marx for LVT to fall by the wayside.

Would that have to be the case for the LVT?

I mean, thanks for the example, it's very illuminating.

But I'm thinking more of the following notion.

I make widgets. After accounting for all the cost of the materials to make the widgets (including the cost of getting the materials) and add in the cost of selling the widget (advertising, shipping, etc), then the difference between the cost of the widget and that prior value ought to be thought of as the cost of my labor and if I'm not being paid that much for making the widget then I'm being cheated.

I've been told that this is a Labor Theory way of looking at things. But I don't know what's wrong with this. I do know it's wrong, but not why.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    Classes over

Getting cheeseburger and then sleep.

Scheck!

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    one thing I really loathe is people who ask for help without trying something first

at work this happens a fair amount

--hey, can you help me do X?

well there are instructions for how to do X here

or you could try it and probably figure it out

--oh but I haven't been trained

okay so I figured this out myself, but rather than spend any time of your own learning how to do it you'd rather waste both of our time

this can be true but there are also times where its very simple but completely unintuitive

so either one person can spend an hour figuring it out or two people can spend 5 minutes

in other words DON'T MAKE ME ANXIOUS TO ASK FOR HELP EVER :(

if you tried and can't figure it out, that's one thing

it's like this learned helplessness at work

oh I couldn't possibly figure out X, I've never done it before

no shit, no one has, we're all figuring it out, take a stab

• Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Classes over

Scheck!

scheck doesn't sleep

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    old school bigotry is always interesting
    i've been reading some late 18th/early 19th century anti-Semitic stuff and its interesting to see changes and what stays the same.
    one of the arguments against jewish emancipation in germany during this period was that jews were poor and wouldn't bring money to the state (which got flipped around in ~100 years)

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
    wow I just got to a point in this python tutorial where I can't do any of the problems

what a bad feeling

this is the feeling u get just before u learn something

DONT YOU TRY TO POSITIVE ME SCHEK

• CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    The rest of my family is not adventurous with food. Which is so weird to me.

• shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    today is one of those days where I have an absolute ton of shit to do at work but all I really want to do is go home, play with my kids and plumb the deepest depths of my wife's vagina

this sentence is much better without the oxford comma

Look, you cram the entire family into the shower every day and things are going to happen.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    Well, biopsy came back, and my dad does in fact have cancer, specifically in the esophagus. The next step is determining size and type; since the VA hospital in Madison is connected directly to the UW hospital and oncology is one of UW's specialties (they're ranked top-50 nationally in that department), there are like a gazillion people already on that now.

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Atomika wrote: »
    caveat: no matter the local custom, I won't eat bugs. that's where I draw the line.
    chapulines are delicious, be adventurous, bug eating is the future.

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    one of my friends gets on pitchfork occasionally

why can't i be a sort of, internet famous musician

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
    Classes over

Scheck!

scheck doesn't sleep

Then why does scheck ragepost when something wakes him up before 1 P.M.?

everything should be simple

*flops around bonelessly*

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    econodog vs lawyerdog. Now I've read everything.

• Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Gosling wrote: »
    Well, biopsy came back, and my dad does in fact have cancer, specifically in the esophagus. The next step is determining size and type; since the VA hospital in Madison is connected directly to the UW hospital and oncology is one of UW's specialties (they're ranked top-50 nationally in that department), there are like a gazillion people already on that now.

Sorry to hear that man :(

My wife's parents are both very well connected physicians in Madison. They aren't specialized in oncology but if you need recommendations on who to see or are running into any long wait lists or something like feel free to hit me up.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod

*bones around floplessly*

• HuuHuu Registered User regular
    Well crap. Apart from a really stressful and annoying day i just found out that my company is in a rush to fill the position I've been wanting since the day I started my job, and I do not have nearly enough experience at this time to be a strong candidate.

I need about 6 more months, for a position that has been unfilled for 18 months... come on...

• LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »

*bones around floplessly*

Chu, always waiting around to bone Skippy.

Get a room.

"We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    Gosling wrote: »

Sorry to hear that man :(

My wife's parents are both very well connected physicians in Madison. They aren't specialized in oncology but if you need recommendations on who to see or are running into any long wait lists or something like feel free to hit me up.

Like I said, they're already right on top of it. There's a PET/CT scan scheduled for tomorrow morning, ultrasound right after that. VA hospital doesn't screw around.

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Increasingly I am curious as to what causes folk to gender me male. It's weird.

• msmyamsmya Being Fabulous Registered User regular
    Ugh I look fat in this dress. I hope he doesn't think I look fat. I'm so nervous !!!!

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    @Echo and other 40k nerds. FFG are releasing a 40K living card game. I am already balls deep in Netrunner and don't have room in my life for two masters, but others may find a substitute for real love in this game.

You'll be great Mya!

msmya wrote: »
    Ugh I look fat in this dress. I hope he doesn't think I look fat. I'm so nervous !!!!

You do not look fat in that dress!!

You're great, go be great.

• GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    Classes over

Scheck!

scheck doesn't sleep

because he is nesting, which is entirely different than sleeping fyi hth

919UOwT.png
    The rest of my family is not adventurous with food. Which is so weird to me.

Food is awesome, and my life would be significantly lessened without learning about really great food that being raised in conservative small towns would have never shown me.

Classes over

Scheck!

scheck doesn't sleep

because he is nesting, which is entirely different than sleeping fyi hth

oh sure he is just "resting his eyelids"

You'll be great Mya!

I loudly agree!

• GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    I look phat in this dress. I hope he does think I look phat. I'm so nervous !!!!

ftfy fyi hth

919UOwT.png
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    i like Muse

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Classes over

Scheck!

scheck doesn't sleep

it is cheeseburger based meditation

obF2Wuw.png
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    I feel like the rest of this week is going to go by without me having a boss or any idea what my job is going to be going forward.

Reorgs should not take this long.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    I look phat in this dress. I hope he does think I look phat. I'm so nervous !!!!

ftfy fyi hth

Me. Gerald Gooey
    Professional 'Tude Coach

I now sleep time.

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    "Mister"

Fak u autocorrect

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    I now sleep time.

Me Koko. Where All Ball?

Couscous on
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    So I just set this as my background image on my twitter.

HZxaSXK.png

I think it might actually be a crime.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    My parents are texting photos of plates of food on their vacation, but instead of crazy hole in the walls or home cooking, they are in the florida keys and the photos are all taken at like, carrabba's.

It's kind of adorable.

Why even go on vacation if you're not going to eat weird local food?

Cinders came over and I got her duck at a place where the menu wasn't even in English.

i want to try bugs just once.

ground up maybe.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.