As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I should have had [chat] prepared!

• ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    That new Metal Gear Demo is really solid.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    My parents are texting photos of plates of food on their vacation, but instead of crazy hole in the walls or home cooking, they are in the florida keys and the photos are all taken at like, carrabba's.

It's kind of adorable.

Why even go on vacation if you're not going to eat weird local food?

Cinders came over and I got her duck at a place where the menu wasn't even in English.

caveat: no matter the local custom, I won't eat bugs. that's where I draw the line.

i want to try bugs just once.

ground up maybe.

I had locusts/grasshoppers once. They were fine, just tasted like the soy sauce and sugar they were cooked in. Not much different to a weird rice cracker.

But worms and grubs? Can't even get near them, let alone eat them.

I figure I could take a bear.
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Clips of The Simpsons taken with a shaky iPhone 2 benefit no one.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU_w_twAr7w
    If someone made a pristine copy of this scene, youtube would take it down the same day but this has stayed up for years. Is this a sick joke, youtube?

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    I make widgets. After accounting for all the cost of the materials to make the widgets (including the cost of getting the materials) and add in the cost of selling the widget (advertising, shipping, etc), then the difference between the cost of the widget and that prior value ought to be thought of as the cost of my labor and if I'm not being paid that much for making the widget then I'm being cheated.

I've been told that this is a Labor Theory way of looking at things. But I don't know what's wrong with this. I do know it's wrong, but not why.

As a moral statement, I'm pretty sympathetic to that, actually. But that's different from an economic system.

Keep in mind that LVT predates Marx by a pretty long history. Marx brought up the concept of worker exploitation and used LVT to justify it. But the concept worker exploitation is not a necessary component of LVT nor vice versa.

Ideally, an economic framework should be able to explain phenomena in the real world - changes in prices, labor movement, decisions by entrepreneurs to enter or exit a market. LVT just doesn't, as a general rule. When it does, it does so only under very narrow parameters.

Consider another example: diamonds, which we were talking about earlier and there's a collegehumor video going viral about them right now. The price of a diamond ring is a lot more than the cost of the natural materials plus the labor to produce it. They're not particularly scarce. But they command a high price. LVT can't explain that. LVT can't explain Magic cards. It can't explain why a video game that took 200,000 programmer man-hours to produce costs $50 while a financial package that took the same amount of time to produce costs $90.

LVT has to chalk all of these up to some kind of rent-seeking - eg, they're deviations from the normal price equilibrium that are due to markets being imperfect (unfair legal frameworks, monopolies, insufficient information on the parts of buyers). Or they're short-term fluctuations that will eventually correct. Both of these are simply untrue.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    stevemarks44‌ are you pdx now

@skippydumptruck as of 2:00pm yes.

• LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    Hmm, interesting.

That's pretty clear.

Thanks @Feral

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    due if you've ever eaten anything red, you've had crushed up bugs

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    except, like, fruits and veg

@skippydumptruck as of 2:00pm yes.

have you pickled anything yet or made shell art?

• shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

skippydumptruck as of 2:00pm yes.

have you pickled anything yet or made shell art?

Nah, but his muttonchops are coming in nicely.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
    edited March 2014
    Hmm, interesting.

That's pretty clear.

Thanks Feral

Just to be totally fair, I should point out that some non-Marxist LVTs posited another form of value: use-value. In the 19th century, the use-value of, for example, a plow may exceed the labor-value of it. A good plow might last me years or even decades, but only take several days to make. Use-value can explain the difference in price between a financial package and a video game, for instance.

This is not too far away from the idea of marginal utility... but Marx more or less ignored it in his texts on worker exploitation. Because if you recognize that the use-value of a plow may exceed the labor value of that plow, then you can't really say that it's exploitative for the plow to fetch a higher price than it's cost.

Feral on

slow [chat] is slow

dance for me, monkeys

• KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    except, like, fruits and veg

Please you know how many dead bugs go into making an apple? Thousands!

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    slow [chat] is slow

dance for me, monkeys

:(

hqdefault.jpg

dance_monkey_dance.gif

• PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    LVT is more of a moral argument for how an economy should be than an intellectual argument for how any economy actually functions

But you can say the same thing about supply side economics.

Two goats enter, one car leaves
    yessss

good little monkeys

Aggressive Doonesbury scorches well-meaning Apple.
    http://doonesbury.slate.com/strip/archive/2014/03/16

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    @syndalis‌ @Elki‌ @Irond Will@Deebaser‌ ?

6 player splitscreen xbone racing game, devs shooting for 60fps

BjC0qbRIQAAIghb.jpg:large

so one of my professors posted an assignment over spring break that was due during spring break

and since it was spring break i didn't check blackboard because it was spring break

and now he's telling me late assignments will not be accepted

fak u u fak

I did not realize there was a Riptide GP 1.

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    so one of my professors posted an assignment over spring break that was due during spring break

and since it was spring break i didn't check blackboard because it was spring break

fak u u fak

WHERE IS THE BRO? BUTTON???

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Nice, BR.
    Im so glad they're finally making Wave Racer 2!

it's only 10 pts out of, like, 500, so i'm not going to give too many shits about fighting it

but just

gawldangit get your shit together

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular

fak u u fak

Yeah, that's dickery.

My prof gave an assignment that was due before break started because he was all, "I'm pretty sure you're not going to do anything during break, so do good work on this one small project and just have it in early. Then go nuts and do whatever, you crazy kids you."

• P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular

fak u u fak
    escalate up chain of command / take a dump on his doorstep

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
    P10 wrote: »

fak u u fak
    escalate up chain of command / take a dump on his doorstep

i'll probably just do the latter

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Zephiran wrote: »

I am a little embarrassed at how much moving aim from L1 to L2 and attack from R1 to R2 has messed me up.

But man it is a ton of fun to play.

I made garlic bread with pressed garlic for dinner because FUCK THE POLICE.
    The garlic came out of the oven looking like bleu cheese

Apparently this is a normal thing that happens

On the topic of food adventures

If you guys ever visit Japan.

Basashi.

Trust.

Inquisitor wrote: »

I am a little embarrassed at how much moving aim from L1 to L2 and attack from R1 to R2 has messed me up.

I jelly, I wont play it until September at the earliest.

There's enough other crazy games coming out right now that you will be fine! Took me an hour to clear the main mission, and then the game gave me a completion counter, telling me 10% done.

But still, there are better dollar to time ratios out there, no doubt.

I take back everything I've ever said about Fox News.
    They are truly the best news organization

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/03/17/sugars-found-in-tequila-may-protect-against-obesity-diabetes/

• KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    I made garlic bread with pressed garlic for dinner because FUCK THE POLICE.
    The garlic came out of the oven looking like bleu cheese

Apparently this is a normal thing that happens

Pressed garlic? Surely you mean Preston Garlic

Freedom for the Northern Isles!

There's enough other crazy games coming out right now that you will be fine! Took me an hour to clear the main mission, and then the game gave me a completion counter, telling me 10% done.

But still, there are better dollar to time ratios out there, no doubt.

Question, since you will be back here and it doesnt have a PC release (yet) will you be my PS4 Destiny bro?

• KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular

fak u u fak

You were taught an important life lesson. In the real world there are no breaks. That'll be 50 grand.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    @Winky‌ @Dark Raven X@Abdhyius‌

I have only about 40 cards to find placeholder art, i should finish that part of the game tomorrow. thursday at the latest.

So i should have a plugin ready by this week-end, meaning Alpha testing can begin real soon.

• TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Grand Budapest Hotel was so fucking charming holy shit.

@Atomika‌

I am debating telling Mrs. Deebs what I learned today Re: PAX lines and shit.
    I should probably withhold.

This discussion has been closed.