As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Prison Facts "They" Don't Want You To Know About

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    5R25cUF.jpg

USA! USA! USA!

and people wonder why we have such moral authority in the world today!

The populations of some countries make this map a little misleading.

For example if it was based off a % of the country's total population, Australia would top the chart at 100%.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    5R25cUF.jpg

USA! USA! USA!

For example if it was based off a % of the country's total population, Australia would top the chart at 100%.
    aborigine erasure in your joke, -8 points

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    given how many rich white men go unpunished for frequently disasterous economic crimes I don't really feel that sentiment

also the fact that white collar crime (embezzlement, fraud) convictions result in less jail time on average than blue collar crime (auto theft, burglary) despite having higher average damage

let this shithead rot

• Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    not directly physically violent? sure. but considering the state of most people's pocketbooks in this country, i'd argue economic violence is still extremely destructive to people's physical and mental health and future.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    The funny thing is he's only being jailed because he failed to pay the fines and was trying to hide assets. He would have stayed out of jail but he gave them no other choice.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    5R25cUF.jpg

USA! USA! USA!

man iraq has no prisoners that must be a really progressive society

or they just murder their criminals instead of imprisoning them

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    In which Jasconius Learns to Read Maps

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    The country with the largest percent of it's population in jail is America. Or it might be North Korea. We can only guess or estimate the NK prison numbers.

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Look guys, that's talking about the percent of world's prisoners what you really need to look at is the percent of the population of each country in prison and when you look at that oh America is still the worst. Carry on.

This feels like the only message I can contribute to this thread: It's clear there are problems and we gotta deal with them, but you gotta have a rock solid wall presenting it. Damn near any chart you can show on demographics can be disputed for the infinite variables that go into these things.

Yeah the message is still the same, but you gotta give no room for nitpicking

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    The country with the largest percent of it's population in jail is America. Or it might be North Korea. We can only guess or estimate the NK prison numbers.

100%, give or take Glorious Leader's inner circle.

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular

Depending on how you think about it NK may as well have a 99.9% imprisoned population. I mean they have their entire lives dictated and they aren't allowed to leave or contact the outside world.

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    5R25cUF.jpg

USA! USA! USA!

man iraq has no prisoners that must be a really progressive society

or they just murder their criminals instead of imprisoning them

That's because all the Iraqi prisoners are being held in Guantanamo bay

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    I know this thread became about something else but what exactly was the snake oil the guy in the OP was selling?

• Options
    TankHammer wrote: »

Depending on how you think about it NK may as well have a 99.9% imprisoned population. I mean they have their entire lives dictated and they aren't allowed to leave or contact the outside world.

yeah nk is such a strange case I'm not sure it's productive to judge it by the same standards

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    also I skipped past this thread for a while because I kept assuming it was about prison architect

• Options
    I know this thread became about something else but what exactly was the snake oil the guy in the OP was selling?

Oil.

From snakes.

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular

Oil.

From snakes.

It's spicier than olive oil but with half the fat!

• Options

his first scam was a book and associated infomercial called Natural Cures "They" Don't Want You to Know About wherein he claimed that AIDS is a hoax and that natural medicine is all you need and so on and so forth

then he did a sequel with more bullshit

then a similar book about weight loss, then one about debt, then one about that silly pseudo-mystic affirmation type horseshit that Rhonda Byrne wrote about in The Secret

I should point out that nearly all of these books resulted in legal proceedings almost immediately because of the blatantly false and misleading claims in them, and that the only reason Trudeau went to prison is because he completely ignored all the court orders telling him to quit being a lying piece of shit

• Options

Oil.

From snakes.

Fun fact: if you are bitten by a snake, trying to suck the poison out will do absolutely nothing.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

Oil.

From snakes.

Fun fact: if you are bitten by a snake, trying to suck the poison out will do absolutely nothing.

no

no if you can get enough of the venom out it can help a lot

it depends on the snake, are bitten, amount injected etc...

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »

Oil.

From snakes.

no

Naw, it's a myth. If you're bitten, it's best to just stay calm and get yourself to a hospital.

Another fun fact: for North American snakes there is only one type of anti venom, so don't bother trying to catch the snake for identification.

• Options
    Excerpts from Trudeau's Wikipedia page. I bolded a few things for emphasis.

In 2004, Trudeau self-published the book 'Natural Cures "They" Don't Want You to Know About', which aimed to provide natural cures and medical advice. The natural cures discussed in the book were for a variety of diseases. The advice centered on various forms of alternative medicine. Trudeau made a number of outstanding claims in the book that received widespread media attention. This included that the sun does not cause cancer, sunscreen is one of the major causes of skin cancer and that AIDS is a hoax.
    In April 2007, Trudeau released The Weight Loss Cure "They" Don't Want You to Know About. The book describes a weight loss plan originally proposed by British endocrinologist ATW Simeons in the 1950s involving injections of human chorionic gonadotropin.
    After being incarcerated for fraud in the early 1990s, Trudeau joined a multi-level marketing firm, Nutrition for Life. The firm was successful until the Attorney General of Illinois charged that it was running a pyramid scheme. Trudeau and Nutrition for Life settled cases brought by the state of Illinois, and seven other U.S. states, for US$185,000.

Next, Trudeau produced and appeared in a series of late-night television infomercial broadcasts throughout North America. They promoted a range of products, including health aids, dietary supplements (such as coral calcium), baldness remedies, addiction treatments, memory-improvement courses, reading-improvement programs and real estate investment strategies.

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

Oil.

From snakes.

no

Naw, it's a myth. If you're bitten, it's best to just stay calm and get yourself to a hospital.

Another fun fact: for North American snakes there is only one type of anti venom, so don't bother trying to catch the snake for identification.

but...House...

:(

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Trudeau is sucky, and so is prison!

I admit to first learning about this scandal on an episode of Special Victims Unit, and it made me mad.

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    My voicemail has six saved messages. I remembered why today when after deleting the two new ones I heard the one I always stop at.

"...Jenn's brother Jeremy got 12 years in prison. HAHA! Call me back..."

Jeremy was 160 pounds of dirtbag who beat his toddler daughter so bad it cracked her ribs and fractured her skull. He's been in prison for about five years now. I heard that on his first day there they had him doing some menial labor when an inmate plopped a paper down on the table in front of him and asked "is this you?" before promptly knocking him unconscious with one punch. I think they've kept him in solitary ever since.

That shit is never not funny. I will always have six saved voicemails.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Jesus, that's awful. I hope she's doing ok now.

Although it seems like he deserves it here, solitary confinement is terrible.

Solitary Watch
    is an interesting (and somewhat depressing) site. I didn't know that prisoners in solitary confinement are not allowed to hold or touch their loved ones. Or that the ceiling light is kept on 24 hours per day.

A lot of these rules seem like cruelty for cruelty's sake.

Captain Marcus on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Label wrote: »
    not directly physically violent? sure. but considering the state of most people's pocketbooks in this country, i'd argue economic violence is still extremely destructive to people's physical and mental health and future.
    “Do you understand what I'm saying?" shouted Moist. "You can't just go around killing people!"
    "Why Not? You Do." The golem lowered his arm.
    "What?" snapped Moist. "I do not! Who told you that?"
    "I Worked It Out. You Have Killed Two Point Three Three Eight People," said the golem calmly.
    "I have never laid a finger on anyone in my life, Mr Pump. I may be–– all the things you know I am, but I am not a killer! I have never so much as drawn a sword!"
    "No, You Have Not. But You Have Stolen, Embezzled, Defrauded And Swindled Without Discrimination, Mr Lipvig. You Have Ruined Businesses And Destroyed Jobs. When Banks Fail, It Is Seldom Bankers Who Starve. Your Actions Have Taken Money From Those Who Had Little Enough To Begin With. In A Myriad Small Ways You Have Hastened The Deaths Of Many. You Do Not Know Them. You Did Not See Them Bleed. But You Snatched Bread From Their Mouths And Tore Clothes From Their Backs. For Sport, Mr Lipvig. For Sport. For The Joy Of The Game.”

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    You can fail to steal money and get a higher sentence than you can for crashing the entire stock market. Which is fun.

My "favorite" justice system flaw is the sentencing disparity between regular cocaine and crack cocaine. It's so blatantly, egregiously targeting minorities and poor people, and has literally zero logic for existing, yet it will never be corrected because getting drug penalties lessened would be seen as "weak on drugs," and we can't have that now can we

• Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    I feel like this article/theory about needs to be included in any discussion about crime in america.

http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2013/01/lead-crime-link-gasoline

like, seriously. read it. I can't even begin.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Label wrote: »
    “Do you understand what I'm saying?" shouted Moist. "You can't just go around killing people!"
    "Why Not? You Do." The golem lowered his arm.
    "What?" snapped Moist. "I do not! Who told you that?"
    "I Worked It Out. You Have Killed Two Point Three Three Eight People," said the golem calmly.
    "I have never laid a finger on anyone in my life, Mr Pump. I may be–– all the things you know I am, but I am not a killer! I have never so much as drawn a sword!"
    "No, You Have Not. But You Have Stolen, Embezzled, Defrauded And Swindled Without Discrimination, Mr Lipvig. You Have Ruined Businesses And Destroyed Jobs. When Banks Fail, It Is Seldom Bankers Who Starve. Your Actions Have Taken Money From Those Who Had Little Enough To Begin With. In A Myriad Small Ways You Have Hastened The Deaths Of Many. You Do Not Know Them. You Did Not See Them Bleed. But You Snatched Bread From Their Mouths And Tore Clothes From Their Backs. For Sport, Mr Lipvig. For Sport. For The Joy Of The Game.”

Terry Pratchett is my favourite author.

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    what would it take, hypothetically, to bring about even minor reforms in the completely horrible american prison system

i suppose first you'd have to find a way of bringing it on to the national radar as a problem comparable to drugs or scary mexicans

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    what would it take, hypothetically, to bring about even minor reforms in the completely horrible american prison system

i suppose first you'd have to find a way of bringing it on to the national radar as a problem comparable to drugs or scary mexicans

Ending the "war on drugs" would go a LONG way to solving the overpopulation problems and the population racial imbalance thing. Un-privatising private prisons and introducing some decent rehabilitation programs would probably help.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    We need a cultural sea change where we don't view prisoners as less than human or the prison system as punitive in nature, just so we can get the catharsis of being cruel to people who did bad things.

• Options
    I think a good first step would be making the public aware of what the prison system is really like

how our prisons are steadily regressing towards 19th century hellholes, and especially the practice of charging inmates for their own imprisonment

and how it is official policy in California prisons to deliberately create circumstances that allow guards to justify using lethal force on inmates

it just seems like there's this public perception that prison is kind of a cakewalk

what with their televisions and freeweights and libraries and shit like that

• Options
    as long as the tvs get game of thrones sign me up

• Options
    Well yeah prisoners do have it pretty good with the communal television they're allowed to watch for 30 minutes in the activity room (as long as they don't get stabbed). And the library books they're allowed to read (as long as they don't get raped). And the weights they're allowed to use in their daily hour in the yard (as long as they don't get tazed by a guard for looking at them wrong).

• Options
    don't forget free air travel

plot11.jpg

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    And they get to make all the license plates they want!

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular

Oil.

From snakes.

Snakes inject venom, not poison. They are different things.