As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Risen from a 60 million year slumber, the SE++ [Warhammer 40000] thread

ElaroElaro ApologeticRegistered User regular
edited January 2015 in Social Entropy++
Are you a heretic? If yes, open this spoiler.
tumblr_m8ogp2O7v11rq20pxo1_r2_400.gif

Greetings, forumer! For those already initiated, please discuss the 40k setting, games, literature, personal fluff, video game ideas, tabletop game variations ideas, personal heraldry, costume creation and personal devotions to the God-Emperor here. For those not initiated, welcome! Let me tell you about Warhammer 40k.

Warhammer 40 000 is a bad-ass science-fiction/horror setting created by Games Workshop in order to sell bad-ass miniatures. I mean, really badass wargaming miniatures. How about a guy with a skull for a helmet? There's a great many. The upside of this is that the setting is grim and dark enough (they coined the phrase "grimdark") that every army has a reason to fight to fight other people with the same army. But before we get into that, watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MeVxKZBOfM

Your first question should be: what are Tyranids? They're an army in 40k. What are the armies? Well, first you have to understand that 40k is inspired by the most iconic ideas in Sci-Fi. Power armour (Space Marines). Bug Swarms (Tyranids). Survivor societies (Orks). Ancient aliens that like to meddle (Eldar, Necrons). Ancient horrors (Necrons, Daemons). Giant Mechs. Psychic powers. An alternate dimension where ships go to go FTL. (The Warp, home to Chaos Daemons, also responsible for psychic powers). A god-Emperor, although they do so much better with this concept here than in Dune. So, if the armies sound a little familiar, that's not my fault. Also, shamelessly stolen from the CF 40k thread.

++++

deamon1.gif
- The Dark Forces -
Daemons Lust, hate, despair, sorrow. All emotion has a reverberation within the warp, the worst, most bitterly felt, and the furtherest extreme becoming strong enough to persist, coalesce, and finally, become. It was from the darkest corners of the galaxy's hearts that Khorne - Lord Upon the Skullthrone, Tzeentch - The Changer of Ways, Nurgle - The Final Decay, and Slaneesh - The Feaster of Pain, sprang forth, and they await the time when the veil against the Warp wears thin, and their warriors, spawn, and offspring can pour through.

csm_02.gif
- The Betrayer -
- At the very birth of the Imperium of Man, fully half of the Emperor's most trusted Legions turned against him in a bitter civil war. Brother fought brother, and Mankind drove itself to the very brink of extinction. Ten thousand years after their defeat, those same traitors still launch their Black Crusades from within the Eye of Terror, their dead hearts intent upon nothing less than the utter destruction of the Imperium and the death of its weakling Emperor.

sm_10.gif
- The Hammer -
Grey Knights The Grey Knights are the most mysterious of all the Imperium's many organisations. Utterly incorruptible, they are armed with the best weapons and equipment that Mankind has to offer. Above all, they are humanity's last line of defense against the darkness of Chaos

eldar_00.gif
- The Dying -
Eldar An unimaginably ancient race who once ruled an empire spanning the galaxy. Then came the hideous time of the Fall, when the Eldar were consumed by their own decadence and nearly obliterated to the last, the few survivors scattered across the stars. Though the Eldar are few in number, they continue to be one of the most technologically advanced races in the galaxy. This advantage is combined with the prescient abilities of their Farseers, who scry the future and guide their kin along the most favorable paths of fate.

de_01.gif
- The Lost-
Dark Eldar These spawn of unquiet dreams inhabit a realm called Commorragh, a place as darkly twisted as its rulers, from which these merciless pirates launch raids across the length and breadth of the galaxy. The purpose of these raids is not to conquer planets or protect territory but to cause mayhem, steal, pillage, and – most importantly of all – capture new victims to be taken back to Commorragh for endless torture. Having fallen far into the depths of depravity, their every waking moment is dedicated to inflicting pain and suffering on the galaxy.

ig_00.gif
- The Dutiful -
Imperial Guard In the midst of genetically engineered super-beings, alien killing machines, warrior mystics, and technology that approaches sorcery in its sophistication, the Imperial Guard are mere mortals. Protected by little more than faith, they contend with the most terrifying threats the darkest corners of the galaxy vomits forth. As such it is easy to identify with these brave souls and to see in them the qualities of true heroes. Also: tanks tank lol

necron.gif
- The Ancient -
Necrons Ancient beyond imagining, the Necrons are awakening from their 60-million-year dormancy to plague the living once more. Thousands of immortal, soulless warriors have risen from dusty stasis-tombs, their cold wills bent on harvesting the teeming species of the galaxy. Their miraculous technology was far in advance of any contemporary equivalent long before the Eldar, reckoned the oldest amongst the xenos races, had even begun their existence, and it is only that so few have awoken that they do not pose a greater threat in the current day.

ork.gif
- The Beast -
Orks The most widespread and warlike race of aliens in the bloodstained galaxy of the 41st millennium. From the depths of the galactic core to the distant ghost-stars beyond the galactic rim, burgeoning Ork empires rise and fall. In terms of sheer numbers and planets, Orks occupy more of the galaxy than any other single race, and if they ever unified, they would crush all opposition the stood before them. However, the Orks' passion for violence is so unquenchable that they spend their entire lives embroiled in war, and will fight each other as readily as any other foe.

sm_02.gif
- The Loyal -
Space Marines They are the most powerful and dreaded of all the human warriors in the galaxy. No longer strictly human, but superhuman, superior in all respects to mere men by a harsh regime of genetic modification, psycho-conditioning and rigorous training. Being few in number compared to the uncounted trillions of humanity, Space Marines are organized into small independent armies called Chapters. Their unswerving loyalty is to the Emperor of Mankind first, their Chapter second, and none other beyond that.

tau.gif
- The Young -
Tau Empire Since their first contact with the Imperium in the 35th millennium, the Tau have risen from a hunter-gatherer society to a star-faring race in less than six thousand years. Absolute obedient to the command of the enigmatic ethereal caste, the Tau believe that now is their time. It is their race and their Empire that will bring unity to the stars, all races equal, and the Tau first among them. There is no foe their technology cannot overcome, no quandary their science cannot resolve, the stars and all that lies between to be joined beneath the aegis of the Greater Good.

tyranid.gif
- The Hungry -
Tyranids Without a doubt the most alien race encountered by Humanity. They have been likened to galactic locusts, remorselessly hungry and too numerous to stop. Tyranids are a nomadic, space-dwelling race that emerged from the void between galaxies into our own in search of new resources to consume. These hive fleets have discovered sustenance in abundance in the forms of the myriad species of the Milky Way galaxy, stripping planets of all bio-mass before moving on, leaving nothing but a ball of scoured rock in the wake of their titanic swarms. What's worse, no one seems able to halt, let alone reverse, the Tyranid tide as its tendrils bore ever deeper towards the heart of our galaxy.

sister.gif
- The Faithful -
Sisters of Battle The darkness contained within the Imperium itself is a sinister and subtle threat. The heretic, mutant, and rogue psyker threaten humanity with an internal rot far more damaging than any xenos invasion. The Ordo Hereticus exists to seek and burn out this threat. Known as the Witch Hunters, these Inquisitors command the might of the Imperium – especially the Adepta Sororitas – in their hunt for the witch, the mutant, the heretic, the fallen cleric, and none is permitted to escape the cleansing fire of their wrath.

++++

Don't feel like assembling and painting hundreds of miniatures? That's cool, there are other things set in the 40k universe. Like video games! The most popular of which are the Dawn of War series, where you control armies as an RTS, and Space Marine, a TPS with a fluid back-and-forth between range and melee. There's also Space Hulk, which I heard okay things about, and other games, which are, umm, yeah. There is a future game coming out called Eternal Crusade, with similar mechanics to Space Marine, but you can play as Orks, Eldar and Chaos Marines too, and it's going to be a single-shard MMO! Looking out for that one!

But really, what we want to discuss is the awesome potential for video games that this IP holds. Give me your Mass Effect-style Inquisitor game! Give me your DMC-like Eversor Assassin game! Give me Titan mech simulation! Give me Battlefleet Gothic! Anyway, yes.

There are also books, like the ever popular Horus Heresy series, detailing the end of the Great Crusade, the fall of half the Primarchs to Chaos, and the war that almost brought the Imperium of Man to it's knees. Good stuff. I recommend starting with Horus Rising, False Gods and Galaxy in Flames which detail how Horus fell to Chaos, but my personal favorites were A Thousand Sons and Legion, detailing the fall of the Thousand Sons and the Alpha Legion respectively.

There is also a fan-movie name Damnatus, made in Germany, detailing a group of mercs trying to shut down a Chaos cult. Things go awry. There is certainly not, however, an Ultramarines film by Codex Pictures detailing the adventure of a newly minted Space Marine squad that fail to be an Assault squad even though it clearly says in the Codex Astartes that that's what you're supposed to be as a newly minted SM, and- Anyway, it doesn't exist, and I clearly did not order it for Christmas one year. No sir. On a brighter note, there's another CGI movie made by real fans that's in production but looking pretty good called the Lord Inquisitor.

And there's a bunch of board games, roleplaying games, card game, etc. Anyway, this is a lot more effort than I was expecting out of a 40k OP. Now it's your turn.

@RoyceSraphim‌ @timspork's ghost‌ get in here.

Children's rights are human rights.
Elaro on

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2014
    LET US PREACH IN HIS NAME

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    Fantasy Flight is making a 40k living card game eeeeeeeee!

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
    Not technically 40k, but if you haven't played Chaos in the Old World then you are missing out.

YL9WnCY.png
  • MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Yoooooo thread for me, dudes!
    Also DEATH TO THE FALSE EMPEROR AND HIS CORPSE-WORSHIPPERS! FOR THE EMPEROR!

Mayday on
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Someday....I will be completely happy with the non rts and squad based offerings set in the 40K verse. Someday, I won't have to accept compromises. On that day, from the battlefleets to the titans, from psyckers to the librarians, all will be well.

That day is not here but someday, it will come, and on that road, I will support what is done well and forgive those who stumble.

Because the greatest of roads starts with a single brick.

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    LET US PREACH IN HIS NAME

Yes, I concur, Papa Nurgle loves all of you!

Because the greatest of roads starts with a single brick.
    Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

YL9WnCY.png
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I would be so into 40k if I was literally tripping over fat stacks of cash carelessly left on my floor

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    If you have 10 bucks you can get one of the paperback novels.

• FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    We have no fear of "Papa Nurgle". The HERO OF THE IMPERIUM is on our side!

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    What are some good 40k books? All I've read has been the space wolves series which was pretty good

8EVmPzM.jpg
    Titanicus by Dan Abnett is alright, there's the Soul Drinkers trilogy which apparently feature fully fleshed out Space Marines, there's the Ciaphas Cain books by Sandy Mitchell, I've heard good things about the Eisenhorn trilogy...

I think the general rule of thumb is that anything from Dan Abnett will probably be decent.

YL9WnCY.png
  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Sandy Mitchell's Ciaphas Cain novels are IMHO the best. Although perhaps not the best starting point, since it's very different from other 40k Literature.

Dan Abnett probably represents the best from the more traditional 40k fare.
    Good starting points for Dan Abnett:
    Eisenhorn trilogy
    The books about Gaunt's Ghosts (starting with The Founding Omnibus which includes First&Only, Ghostmaker and Necropolis).
    Horus Rising (part of the Horus Heresy series...which is loooong. Reading book two, False Gods, will give you and introduction to the second most prolific 40k writer, Graham McNeill).

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Get Pariah, out now in paperback.

Also

http://youtu.be/EwUPPeIQt5U

Another good HH book is "The First Heretic" by Aaron Demsky-Bowden, about the fall of Lorgar, the orchestrator of the fall of the other legions.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Fantasy Flight is making a 40k living card game eeeeeeeee!

aahhhhhhh I'm excited for this

so glad it has factions!

gonna build the fuck out of an Eldar deck

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Space Marine needs a sequel.

Or a prequel

Chaos Space Marine.

• Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    The other day I saw an imperial knight titan for sale with the codex at a convention. $180 for the bundle. fucking hell.

• Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Yesss

This is the best lore

Give me more of it

Still need to finish that last Cain book. Book ADD stopped me midway and it's probably time for another one to come out by now.

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Yeah, every time I think "Wow. Warhammer is expensive", they go and raise the price.

I mean, look at the price of the complete Ultramarine chapter. 1,200ish marines, for 11,500 dollars. That's about 10 bucks each for 1.4 inch immobile unpainted unassembled plastic (okay, and some metal and resin) models.

Even if I went completely insane and decided I needed a thousand tiny plastic power armored super soldiers, I could get Mega Blok Halo stuff for a lot less money and no bothering with glue.

chiasaur11 on
  • DudBoltDudBolt Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »

Or a prequel

Chaos Space Marine.

The devs said it was gonna be Titus eventually cleaning house and becoming the head of the Ultramarines chapter. Which means Titus is a pretty rad guy. Too bad they won' be fleshing that out.

Gather the faithful and prepose a toast. To an epoch of indifference. - In Flames: Ordinary Story
    http://beta.humugus.com/index.php/auth/register/inv/1966
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    DudBolt wrote: »

Or a prequel

Chaos Space Marine.

The devs said it was gonna be Titus eventually cleaning house and becoming the head of the Ultramarines chapter. Which means Titus is a pretty rad guy. Too bad they won' be fleshing that out.

but

marneus calgar????

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

Or a prequel

Chaos Space Marine.

but

marneus calgar????

Can suck a lemon.

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

Or a prequel

Chaos Space Marine.

but

marneus calgar????

Can suck a lemon.

THE CODEX ASTARTES DOES NOT CONDONE THIS ACTION

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I think I have spent thousands on my 40k stuff
    But then I look at it and think wow I got this still for a steal compared to today's prices

I do like the hobby aspect of wargaming but not the time and money sink it is
    Or how you find people who are just sore losers still at their age or the dreaded douchebag

chiasaur11 wrote: »

Or a prequel

Chaos Space Marine.

but

marneus calgar????

Can suck a lemon.

THE CODEX ASTARTES DOES NOT CONDONE THIS ACTION

The Codex Astartes is a set of rules. They guide us. Shape us as Ultramarines. Teach us to hold duty and honor above all. But how we live with those rules is the true test of a space marine.

And you have failed.

Still love these guys.

tumblr_n14pho26NJ1sv53cpo1_500.png

What's on your head???

Why are you trying to attract a mate in the middle of a war??

Space Marines don't even procreate!

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    There is only Tankred!
    Tankred.jpg

• nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    I tried those RTS games a few years ago but they didn't hook me in, but then I met Weaver.

Imperial_eagle.jpg

FOR THE GLORY OF TERRA

DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
    I got Nuka hooked with my Abnett collection. She was visiting while I was reading Pariah and it was killing me to not spoil her on stuff.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I

I uh

I prefer Warhammer Fantasy to Warhammer 40k

CYpGAPn.png
  • RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I

I uh

I prefer Warhammer Fantasy to Warhammer 40k

Thematically or mechanically?

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Thematically

Although, while I never actually got to play with my Lizardmen, I would probably like it more mechanically? I like big ranks of dudes with swords and bows and shit more than small squads or giant mobs

CYpGAPn.png
    Warhammer Fantasy has revived Egyptian Skeleton Alexander The Great which is pretty incredible, not even going to lie, and certainly better than the Necron

But overall the scope and how well the fluff handles it all just make me love 40k more. It is really hard to pull off a galactic scale the way 40k does for its lore history. I can't actually think of anyone else that does right now, in fact.

Fantasy is good too. The Malus Darkblade stuff was delightful. Thunder & Steel is a collection of Abnett short stories that are really good too. My favorite was one about some demi-lancers during an invasion by the northern Chaos tribes.

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    i always kinda thought Fantasy was a little cooler thematically as well but 40k is so goddamn metal

• RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Fantasy has a Skaven who tri-wields daggers.

It's alright in my book.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852