As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Industry Thread] Will MS' VR headset let you watch yourself or others through Kinect?

• Options
    ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    That list of the "first 25 games" looks staggeringly similar to my Steam games owned list. I suppose if your killer app is stealing the most successful content from Valve it could be worse. But I'm at a loss to specify exactly how. Maybe paying the developers less than Valve does?

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Sony just announced their own VR headset, named Morpheus.

I'd make a Matrix joke but it's not 2003 so I won't.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Well shit, I was wondering what Sony would do to fall off the deep end for this gen.

• Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Well shit, I was wondering what Sony would do to fall off the deep end for this gen.

Well then they fell off last gen. This headset has been in development since 2010.

I'm pretty hyped, even if they can deliver something Oculus Rift-like (which by all accounts this thing is on-par or better with the latest OR builds), then I'm sold on it for, lets say, 499.99 with the PS Camera.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular

It's an optional peripheral that isn't going to bother me or interest me in the least. It's very unlikely to have any meaningful effect on what I can play on my PS4 so I am not overly concerned about it whatsoever and it's a great option for those who want it.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »

It's an optional peripheral that isn't going to bother me or interest me in the least. It's very unlikely to have any meaningful effect on what I can play on my PS4 so I am not overly concerned about it whatsoever and it's a great option for those who want it.

But it's R&D, time and money spent into it. If it doesn't take off, it will have been a wasted investment. I still think of Sony as being extremely fragile, so in my mind this has to be a success for them. They can't sit on their money pile with the same security as Nintendo sitting on theirs.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    I'm just here to say once again that Oculus Rift is a terrible name for the product.

iPod and Google were critically reviled names at launch. Nobody cares now.

If the rift takes off, I imagine it'll be in the same boat.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »

But it's R&D, time and money spent into it. If it doesn't take off, it will have been a wasted investment. I still think of Sony as being extremely fragile, so in my mind this has to be a success for them. They can't sit on their money pile with the same security as Nintendo sitting on theirs.

I think they are fine as long as the PS4 continues to do as well as it has. After all, it took a major release in the UK of a near must have game in Titanfall to shift Xbones yet the PS4 just releases more stock and almost matches the increase in sales comparatively (and certainly hasn't got a major widely hyped game coming out to do so, albeit Second Son looks decent). I think they have some room for experimentation here and if it works, great, but if it doesn't I doubt it will be any big loss. For it to be an albatross on the system it would need to be packaged with the PS4 or something, which it isn't.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I'll be fair and say that my sales pessimism from price and potential resistance to wearing something on your face applies to Sony's thing too.

As far as development goes, Sony will probably make a big game or two for the device, which is much less guaranteed for the Rift. Though Sony has a mixed track record when it comes to making games for wacky peripherals.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Sony already tipped their hand.

They don't need it to sell hugely to consumers. Because they are making something with professional applications. If they can pass it off as a gaming device and make additional money? Score. As it is they are probably going to make business grade ones and try to sell them off that way.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    I'll say it again. People began to loathe the idea of wearing these:

Pair-3D-Cinema-Glasses.-I-006.jpg

And now you want to convince them to wear this:

DSC_4686_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

using the sales pitch of "It'll be so damn awesome, people will totally want to put up with it!".

I've no doubt it is flippin' amazing tech and it will have other uses in other industries beside the entertainment one. But as far as that industry is concerned, you have one hell of a fucking hill to climb to convince people to wear that after a hard day's work.

You know what's even more annoying than wearing 3D glasses?

Wearing 3D glasses OVER YOUR REGULAR GLASSES.

Does the Rift handle that at all? Because it sounds like a downright painful nightmare to strap a screen to my face over my glasses.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    yes, the face computers they want you to buy will work with glasses

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    The Rift uses lenses to create the depth perception effect from a flat screen, and those lenses can be made to your prescription, yes. The devkit had three types, but they've confirmed the consumer version will be able to use custom lenses.

You can also fairly comfortably fit the device over your glasses, with a small loss in field of view from pushing the lens assembly further from your face. Or you can wear contacts. There are a few options.

As an aside - the lenses are what make the Rift about a thousand times more immersive than 3D, and if you haven't tried a Rift yet, stop comparing it to 3D glasses, it makes you sound like an idiot

In fact, in general, if you haven't tried a Rift, you ought to just stop offering opinions on the validity or usefulness of the tech, or whether it will be successful. I've yet to see a single person say "yeah, I've tried a Rift, and I think it's going to flop completely because nobody cares about a gimmick"
    I'll say it again. People began to loathe the idea of wearing these:

3dglasses.jpeg

And now you want to convince them to wear this:

oculusrift.jpg

using the sales pitch of "It'll be so damn awesome, people will totally want to put up with it!".

I've no doubt it is flippin' amazing tech and it will have other uses in other industries beside the entertainment one. But as far as that industry is concerned, you have one hell of a fucking hill to climb to convince people to wear that after a hard day's work.

You mock, but that's precisely the sales pitch they do use, and the only one they will ever need.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    The Rift uses lenses to create the depth perception effect from a flat screen, and those lenses can be made to your prescription, yes. The devkit had three types, but they've confirmed the consumer version will be able to use custom lenses.

Oh, so I'll have to buy glasses for my screen

I'll take Nope for $texas, Alex

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    "I think this product is awesome!" and "I don't think this product will take off." are not mutually exclusive opinions.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular

Oh, so I'll have to buy glasses for my screen

I'll take Nope for $texas, Alex

No, it comes with lenses, and there's no reason that the extra prescription ones couldn't be an accessory.

But the device comfortably fits over glasses anyway.

So really you'll have three options as a glasses-wearing individual.

1) Wear glasses anyway. The only downside to this is you'll need to push the lens assembly a bit further from your eyes than someone not wearing glasses, so you'll lose a bit of field-of-view.

2) Wear contact lenses. Like, 99% of all people I know who wear glasses wear contact lenses during the day anyway, so I don't know why the question of glasses keeps coming up - maybe it's an American thing to not wear contacts?

3) Get the lenses in the Rift to match your prescription

That seems like more than enough to me.

• Options
    "I think this product is awesome!" and "I don't think this product will take off." are not mutually exclusive opinions.

Can you provide reasons for why you think the product won't take off?

When you tried it, what struck you immediately as something people in general wouldn't like?

• Options
    As far as a new industry / product, VR headsets have not hit the mainstream at all. So it's hard to say what the reception will be. I know there's Oculus Rifts floating around but it hasn't penetrated the mass-awareness threshold. We do have to be willing to give it a shot, but I don't think people are seeking new ways to watch things.

I mean. You know what I mean. Not in the Netflix sense, I mean literal perception with eyes. :P

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    "Wear contact lenses" as a response to "I wear glasses so I don't want to strap these goggles on" sounds just as insensitive as "get good internet" as a repsonse to "I live in a rural area so an always on console is bad for me."

• Options
    Opty wrote: »
    "Wear contact lenses" as a response to "I wear glasses so I don't want to strap these goggles on" sounds just as insensitive as "get good internet" as a repsonse to "I live in a rural area so an always on console is bad for me."

That's fair enough. That's why I didn't phrase it as "wear contact lenses" and just as "I don't understand why more people don't wear contact lenses" and asked for clarification, since everybody I know who wears glasses wears contact lenses, except one guy.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular

When you tried it, what struck you immediately as something people in general wouldn't like?

I know an even more fun game. Name one of these "revolutionary accessories" that ever succeeded financially and became a common product that your average consumer ever bothered with. Bonus points if they are from 99 or later.

Caveat: no, we aren't talking evolution like ipods and smart phones, or even tablets as those were all products that grew out of previous products that filled common needs and were just technological upgrades.

Don't worry, I'll wait.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    As far as a new industry / product, VR headsets have not hit the mainstream at all. So it's hard to say what the reception will be. I know there's Oculus Rifts floating around but it hasn't penetrated the mass-awareness threshold. We do have to be willing to give it a shot, but I don't think people are seeking new ways to watch things.

I mean. You know what I mean. Not in the Netflix sense, I mean literal perception with eyes. :P

People are rarely seeking new ways to watch things until the new way has arrived.

Look, I get that people are skeptical. I really do. I even get why. But if you haven't tried one, please refrain from making judgement calls about how popular it will be.

I have demo'd my rift to dozens and dozens of people, of all ages and walks of life. @TheSonicRetard has demo'd his to probably double or triple what I have. Most of my family has tried it at this point - my parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews. I demo'd it to about thirty people in my office last year, out of a total office population of about forty. I've taken it to several parties and gatherings with my wife's colleagues - probably another couple dozen people have tried it there.

Typically the demos I show them are the Blue Marble demo, where you float through space around Earth and the Moon, the Riftcoaster, Proton Pulse, and for those who are feeling a bit adventurous, the space flight sim First Law.

There has not been ONE person who has not been blown away by the experience. Not a single one. And this is people ranging the gamut in age from age eight to age eighty, people who like computers, people who don't like computers, people who like videogames, people who have never even PLAYED a videogame. My grandparents don't even own a computer or have the Internet. And this is with the relatively basic Oculus devkit, with it's 480p screen, heavy motion blur and lack of positional tracking (you can only turn your head in all directions you can't lean forward and backwards or side to side).

A large portion of the people immediately asked whether they can buy one - I gave them the same answer I give to everybody, yes you can buy the exact thing I'm holding, but wait until the end of 2014 for the real deal.

The first demo I put anybody in is the Riftcoaster, and the first thing that everybody notices and comments on is the fact that during the demo, you actually experience real vertigo when looking over the edge of the track and when going down the drops. The experience is so believable that you are actually able to trick your body into feeling your stomach drop.

So please. I get it that you're skeptical. But refrain from doom and glooming until you have had the opportunity to put one on your head.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited March 2014

As an aside - the lenses are what make the Rift about a thousand times more immersive than 3D, and if you haven't tried a Rift yet, stop comparing it to 3D glasses, it makes you sound like an idiot

Yeah, you really aren't understanding people's comments and getting fairly goosey about it.

No one is saying it's like 3D. At all. They are saying it will have the same issues getting widespread use and adoption as 3D. Because of, say, the issue of strapping this thing to your head. And apparently needing to buy it custom fucking lenses.

In fact, in general, if you haven't tried a Rift, you ought to just stop offering opinions on the validity or usefulness of the tech, or whether it will be successful. I've yet to see a single person say "yeah, I've tried a Rift, and I think it's going to flop completely because nobody cares about a gimmick"

No, you don't. Stop being a goose.

People are certainly capable of giving opinions on many aspects of the technology's chance of being widely used without experiencing it.

Shit, most consumers are gonna be in exactly that position.

2) Wear contact lenses. Like, 99% of all people I know who wear glasses wear contact lenses during the day anyway, so I don't know why the question of glasses keeps coming up - maybe it's an American thing to not wear contacts?

Yeah, ok, this is just getting silly now.

shryke on
  • Options
    AZChristopherAZChristopher Registered User regular

Why should someone buy it?

It doesn't seem to fit a market need. It doesn't seem to fit a mass consumer want. It doesn't make gaming easier for the masses.

In many ways reading the information for Project Morpheus makes it sound like their version of having a Wiipad. Where you can play against your friends while you use VR and they use the TV.

I like the idea of VR but it comes off as the type of anti-social geeky thing that becomes more niche than mainstream.

I'm happy with Sony and Microsoft messing with it but I'm just not seeing the average consumer caring.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited March 2014

I know an even more fun game. Name one of these "revolutionary accessories" that ever succeeded financially and became a common product that your average consumer ever bothered with. Bonus points if they are from 99 or later.

Caveat: no, we aren't talking evolution like ipods and smart phones, or even tablets as those were all products that grew out of previous products that filled common needs and were just technological upgrades.

Don't worry, I'll wait.
    Then I guess we can eliminate, well, pretty much everything for the last several decades. Can't use anything computer-related, because that's all derivative from the original revolutionary computers. Nothing with flight, because hey, it all derived from a couple of guys who owned a bike shop. Hell, even that is derivative because they used an internal-combustion engine made by somebody way earlier. Medicine? Nope, because it's all derivative from simple things like aspirin.

It's fine if people have doubts or aren't interested, but lets not make up silly arguments which make it impossible to point out anything as revolutionary, ever.

The stuff you're saying that's not allowed to count for whatever bizarre reasons have thoroughly altered the way people interact and do business, which is pretty much the definition of "revolutionary technology". Considering the huge laptop my father used when I was a kid and had to plug into a wall for a phone connection (with an actual phone on the unit), the ability to conduct business and be entertained just about anywhere using such portable devices was pretty dang revolutionary.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Rift and its ilk sound really cool. I haven't gotten to use one but I am sure it would be a pretty cool experience. Just like playing in a gundam pod at an arcade here in Japan was a cool experience.

But, I can tell you, for a fact, that every time I play a game I am not going to want to strap something to my head. The vast majority of the time I am not going want to strap something to my head. Sometimes, I might want to. But I don't think I would want to do it enough to justify its price tag. If I had a friend who owned one, I might pop over once a month to use it, just like I pop over to an arcade once every couple months to climb into a gundam pod. But I don't want a gundam pod in my house, I don't want to climb into one every time I play a game. And I feel the same thing about VR headsets.

Though, this post made me realize that there are some potentially really cool applications for VR headsets and arcade games.

• Options
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    But, I can tell you, for a fact, that every time I play a game I am not going to want to strap something to my head. The vast majority of the time I am not going want to strap something to my head.

This is pretty much the crux of my argument.

I can sit here all day and tell you that the Oculus Rift headset is actually pretty comfortable even in devkit form, or that it doesn't weigh much, or I can talk to you about field of view and all of that stuff.

But until you have put one on and experienced it, you can't really understand just how trivial a requirement the aforementioned headset is.

No, it's not for all games, and no, it won't be something you wear everytime you interact with your computer. You don't use a joystick with every game on your computer, but one can't deny that a flight sim just isn't the same without one.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    But, I can tell you, for a fact, that every time I play a game I am not going to want to strap something to my head. The vast majority of the time I am not going want to strap something to my head.

I can sit here all day and tell you that the Oculus Rift headset is actually pretty comfortable even in devkit form, or that it doesn't weigh much, or I can talk to you about field of view and all of that stuff.

But until you have put one on and experienced it, you can't really understand just how trivial a requirement the aforementioned headset is.

No, it's not for all games, and no, it won't be something you wear everytime you interact with your computer. You don't use a joystick with every game on your computer, but one can't deny that a flight sim just isn't the same without one.

I don't own a joystick for my PC either.

And actually with the Rift, weight and comfort is less my concern, it is more cutting off my senses from the world around me for the duration of my playing.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    jeffinvajeffinva Koogler coming this summerRegistered User regular
    I'm all for trying new things and pioneering ways to interact with media. Most of the time it fails, sometimes it works, and often it takes a few tries until someone comes along and goes with a slightly different approach to make it take off. Hopefully it takes off, becomes revolutionary, and someone makes a kick ass VR Lawnmower man game and Matrix MMO.

• Options
    And actually with the Rift, weight and comfort is less my concern, it is more cutting off my senses from the world around my for the duration of my playing.

That's a very valid concern, and something that I've experienced while using my Rift myself at home. It's definitely something that has to be considered, and it's definitely not something that you can multitask with - not that you'd ever want to.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    I hope someone makes the most pants-shitting horror game imaginable specifically designed with the Oculus Rift in mind, just to see what peoples' reaction to the Rift as a thing is afterwards.

That is, if they're still alive afterwards.

• Options

Why should someone buy it?

It doesn't seem to fit a market need.

What about the market need for immersion in gaming? We (this is a royal we, here, encompassing the general gamer consciousness, not anyone specific) constantly push game companies for better and better graphics. We rush out and buy next-gen consoles by the millions simply because they promise better and more realistic graphics. There is CLEARLY a market desire for more and more realistic and immersing games, otherwise we'd all still be happy playing games in 8bit.

The Oculus Rift is nothing more than an evolutionary jump forward on that desire.

• Options
    Donnicton wrote: »
    I hope someone makes the most pants-shitting horror game imaginable specifically designed with the Oculus Rift in mind, just to see what peoples' reaction to the Rift as a thing is afterwards.

Playing a horror game on the Oculus Rift really is fucking something, I'll tell you that much. Normally I'm pretty scared by horror games - I didn't finish Amnesia, and Slender I only made it through because I played alongside a friend.

But I put the Rift on to play Slender when somebody set it up to work with the Rift, and I have never been so scared by anything in my entire life. Never.

I can tell you I would never even THINK of playing a serious horror game like Outlast or Amnesia on a Rift, but if you're somebody who finds monitor-based horror games to not be as scary as you're looking for, the Rift might be exactly what you want in your life.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

I think pretty much any good horror game with the Rift applied is going to already fit the bill. However, I think something like Alien: Isolation could prove to be especially lethal, since it's all first-person and the alien is basically hunting you throughout the station.

But people are overlooking or missing the point that the Rift is not just for games. That may be the obvious purpose, but what VR can be applied for is limited basically only by the what sorts of information we don't obtain visually, and we obtain assloads of information visually.

Regardless, it's pretty obvious this is just going in circles now. People who've tried the thing say it's pretty amazing, other people don't or aren't interested, and only time will tell if it really takes off.

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Having used the Rift (both normal and HD devkits), I'd pretty much need to see a definition of "taking off" before committing to either side of this.

It's going to be fucking fantastic for anyone with even a passing interest in simulators - racing, flight, mech, etc. It's a genre that thrives on immersion, and pretending you're in that environment, with the added benefit of placing the player inside a static seat, like they're already going to be in. I really doubt it's going to be a thing gamers are expected to buy, though.

I really don't see the problem with that, either. It's not going to be all things to all people. It has a very defined purpose, and everyone I've seen (including me) thinks it serves its purpose very well.

The Battlefields and CoDs won't get much use from it. Star Citizens and War Thunders will.

• Options

@‌Donnicton

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSzA6hWCcvo

• Options
    Suriko wrote: »
    Having used the Rift (both normal and HD devkits), I'd pretty much need to see a definition of "taking off" before committing to either side of this.

It's going to be fucking fantastic for anyone with even a passing interest in simulators - racing, flight, mech, etc. It's a genre that thrives on immersion, and pretending you're in that environment, with the added benefit of placing the player inside a static seat, like they're already going to be in. I really doubt it's going to be a thing gamers are expected to buy, though.

I really don't see the problem with that, either. It's not going to be all things to all people. It has a very defined purpose, and everyone I've seen (including me) thinks it serves its purpose very well.

The Battlefields and CoDs won't get much use from it. Star Citizens and War Thunders will.

I thoroughly agree with everything in this post.

• Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular

I dont mean to speak for inquisitor but I think what he is saying that the effort and idea of putting on the rift is simply too much effort and circumstance to chill out and play some games. As well as having to block out your vision and invest yourself so heavily into playing a game. Where as you might want to watch tv on another monitor or read the forums on your phone.

However there are times where like inquisitor said that sometimes you wanna get into a gundam pod

For me I think the rift is radical and can have some awesome AR applications and games but apprehensive because I dislike having to wear my headphones

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Botznoy wrote: »

I dont mean to speak for inquisitor but I think what he is saying that the effort and idea of putting on the rift is simply too much effort and circumstance to chill out and play some games. As well as having to block out your vision and invest yourself so heavily into playing a game. Where as you might want to watch tv on another monitor or read the forums on your phone.

However there are times where like inquisitor said that sometimes you wanna get into a gundam pod

For me I think the rift is radical and can have some awesome AR applications and games but apprehensive because I dislike having to wear my headphones

That's certainly fair. I think a majority of people who play games are like that.

Some people would play in Gundam pods almost every day if they had one at home (and could fit one in), though. That's the primary market for simulators, and the primary market for Rift users.

Ain't all things to all people, but a lot of things to some people.

Suriko on
This discussion has been closed.