As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dark Seals and Dark Seals 2

• Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    Instead of lightning mace for STR/FTH, go lightning defenders great sword. Better move set and range plus built in free sunlight blade

doesn't sunlight blade just make lightning do more damage if applied to a weapon that's already got it?

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    anyway i can't believe it's been a week since this game came out. i feel like i'm intimately familiar with it at this point. and it's been SOOOOO LONG, i can't even remember if it's happened before, that i've just been so completely enamored with a game like this for such a long period of time. where as soon as i turn it off it's like "dang i should play some dark souls." and it's been a week already!

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    so for walking on the lava portions of Iron keep do you just have to stack up the fire res?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Rose is
    the NPC that's petrified in the area where you meet Behart, the guy with the big blue sword.

edit: derp, misread the question.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    so for walking on the lava portions of Iron keep do you just have to stack up the fire res?

Apparently the trick is
    to either smash the pots with water in them or use the Pharos loadstone place above the ember hut the get water on your shoes

It apparently cuts the damage a lot. Haven't tried myself.

• Options
    TheStig wrote: »

Apparently the trick is
    to either smash the pots with water in them or use the Pharos loadstone place above the ember hut the get water on your shoes

It apparently cuts the damage a lot. Haven't tried myself.

Makes perfect sense.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Barcardi wrote: »
    Where is Rosabeth in Majula? I cant find her and I have been looking all over the place.

Did you give her a change of clothes? She won't move till you do that. Once she does move she stands at the bottom of the stairs that go up to the death counter.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Is there anything to the illegible thing on the other side of the monument from the death counter or is it just for atmosphere

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Finally beat the game! Soloed everything so I guess I completely missed out on most of Lucatiel's story, as well as that dude with the Moonlight greatsword? Also some locked doors down the Majula hole/the Gutter, and I'm sure a bunch of other secrets, but I've been itching to start a new character for a while now. Deprived spellcaster go!

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    So I got DS2 today and went through the tutorial, did stuff in Majula, got some items and decided to farm up my first couple soul levels in the entrance of the Forest of Giants.

As I'm farming I realize I forgot to join the blue dude covenant and decide to head back to the bonfire and join them. This being Dark Souls though, as I hit the bonfire I can't use it and of course, I'm being invaded.

The beauty of the new system though is that whereas in Dark Souls, since I'm a starting Explorer with just a dagger to my name and a shield on my back, in DS1 I'd have been absolute toast unless I got really lucky. Instead I'm being invaded by someone who is basically evenly matched with me, with a dagger and a crappy shield and everything. So instead of my first death in Dark Souls 2, I got my first PvP victory!

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    is Sorc fun in Dark Souls 2?

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    So if enemies have limited spawns and you still lose souls on death then it seems like if you failed to recover your souls a few times that you could really screw yourself.

I mean, is there a maximum number of souls you can earn in one playthrough?

With online play, no. A few rounds of helping people in co-op have gotten me tons of levels.

Especially if you and your summoned/summoner can take out
    Persuer
    when he shows up early. Something like 20,000+ souls for that fight alone.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Xehalus wrote: »
    is Sorc fun in Dark Souls 2?

It starts out pretty slow, but you can have 60 soul arrows and 15 heavy soul arrows before the first boss. From what I've heard/seen, once you get some of the more advanced spells it gets pretty crazy.

I just started a new character that I'm going to try and do hexes on.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Destroying everything with lasers is super fun. More so, if you expend the souls needed to properly wield the free morning star from majula.

Three players just closing in and gangclanging the old knights just never gets old.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    I tried upgrading that ladle the woman in Things Betwixt gives you for clearing out the trolls.

Don't*.

It starts at 20 damage and 10 durability, each +1 only confers 2 extra damage and no bonus durability.

That said, I'm eventually going to bring it to +10 because why the heck not?

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    so has anyone else had stupidly awful times to load up like the menu in game or iitems or what have you?

also seriously fuck dragon's shrine i can't do shit when i've got two of these fuckers on me all the time

it takes a long time for the menus to show up when I push the start button or the select button, yeah
    but i am not sure if it is this controller or not, i need to try one of my other controllers, this one is five years old

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    It's been a week

I'm going to ask the big question

Is it better than Dark Souls 1

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    It could be a little hard going back to Dark Souls 1 movement speed I must say

• Options
    But this is definitely a better game than Dark Souls. It's really amazing how much they managed to do in like 2 or so years

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    It's been a week

I'm going to ask the big question

Is it better than Dark Souls 1

Yes. Just about the only thing you might miss from DS1 is the world is much, much bigger because of having bonfire warp from the get-go, so you don't get those fun moments of "oh shit, this place is connected to here!" when you double back on yourself. The online is far superior, with you seeing bloodstains, messages and summon signs all over the place, and it being easy to connect to others.

The bosses mostly exist as refinements on existing templates - you'll see a lot of dudes rocking Artorias's moveset with some little twists (no rad aerial somersaults though). Upgrading gear has been simplified, stats have been rebalanced, gear has been tweaked and there's nothing in the early game to teach you bad habits like the Drake Sword. The back end of the game is also mostly better than Dark Souls was post Ornstein and Smough, though I've only been through it once so far (and it did have my two least favourite areas).

Also it's really pretty.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    I think I need to figure out which stats to pump up. Adaptability is a good idea for a DEX/STR character, isn't it? I haven't touched that.

• Options
    How did the drake sword teach bad habits?

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    I think I need to figure out which stats to pump up. Adaptability is a good idea for a DEX/STR character, isn't it? I haven't touched that.

Are you thinking of rocking any specific weapon/weapon types?

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »

It encourages you to rely on one weapon and to never learn the upgrade system

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Peas wrote: »

I'm not very far into things, I have cleared Heide's and the Giants Forest and am currently in No Mans Wharf. I don't know what weapons I prefer, to be honest. Dual-wiedling seems neat, but I am kind of bad at dodging and positioning. Katanas look neat, from the item descriptions I have seen.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    on the other hand dark souls 1 has a much better riposte animation

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Is there anywhere to find more torches? I am running out of torches in NMW. I light the way during Jolly Co-Op and now only have five minutes left. :(

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    on the other hand dark souls 1 has a much better riposte animation

Yeah I really don't like how 2's works

Do the parry's really always push the enemy over?

That's a bit silly

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    edited March 2014

Peas wrote: »

I'm not very far into things, I have cleared Heide's and the Giants Forest and am currently in No Mans Wharf. I don't know what weapons I prefer, to be honest. Dual-wiedling seems neat, but I am kind of bad at dodging and positioning. Katanas look neat, from the item descriptions I have seen.

According to sources now, 20 adaptability seems to be good enough for better rolling, agility and all those fancy animation iframes stuff, I think you should be fine with experimenting with the rest since you can respec with the soul vessel item.

Peas on
  • Options
    Thanks @‌peas
    I am out of torches, so I guess I will investigate the lost bastille.

• Options
    Thanks @‌peas

you can refresh your torches at bonfires I thought

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Thanks @‌peas

Nope, they are consumables. The more you find, the longer you can keep a torch lit. It seems you cannot buy them anywhere. :(

And you cannot really access most of the lost bastille if you start at that bonfire in the tower. :(

• Options
    Thanks @‌peas

Nope, they are consumables. The more you find, the longer you can keep a torch lit. It seems you cannot buy them anywhere. :(

And you cannot really access most of the lost bastille if you start at that bonfire in the tower. :(

Nope, just checked, you can relight them.

• Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    Thanks @‌peas

Nope, just checked, you can relight them.

YOU'RE BOTH RIGHT

sort of

Danger is more right

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    You can re-light torches at bonfires, but you must have torches to relight. :(

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Thanks @‌peas

any monster that carries a torch can drop a torch. So the dude at the bridge right after the bonfire on Huntsman Corpse is a good spot to get a few.

I have like, an hour and 30 minutes of torch without trying to get any.

TheStig on
  • Options
    Elldren wrote: »

It encourages you to rely on one weapon and to never learn the upgrade system

What's wrong with relying on a weapon?

Like, I used bastard swords as my primary armament throughout Dark Souls

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    I've been hearing a bunch of conflicting things about adaptability and vitality

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    as I understand it, vitality is more useful to getting a better roll and adaptability is just bad

I have 10 adapt and zero issues with it being so low

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Adaptability and vitality both increase poise, but you only get the poise increase by leveling the lower of the two

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
This discussion has been closed.