As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Risen from a 60 million year slumber, the SE++ [Warhammer 40000] thread

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Fantasy won me over because it has Aztec Dinosaurs that ride other Dinosaurs that are ruled by an order of drug-addled Toad-Man wizards, the most powerful of which is actually a skeleton

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • NikolaiNikolai SSSSSSSSSSS Registered User regular
    If you don't rep Black Templar you must be a heretic

xXNXOA7.png?1
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I have played 40k off and on since high school and when it was called Rogue Trader as I had no idea what they were talking about at lunch about elder grenades and bolters
    So I asked and was invited to come over one weekend and try it out
    When that group broke up at the end of high school I ended up with an eldar army over time it became a Saim-Hann jetbike army
    I played with this army for years and then one day the Armageddon tour came

Winning the Armageddon summer tour at one store won me a random box of space marines and the black Templar set
    It was then I saw the light of the emperor and slayed all in the name of the crusade
    It was the fun and games of a certain day and what followed made me lose interest in a lot of things

Only when the meme of Tankred and a certain person's Stompa from the 40k thread made me get interested again in the game
    I started painting my army again and looking at where I left off and what I remembered what I was doing with it

Then I found people playing the game and boy were they ever the group of jerks
    Win at every cost I think was their mantra
    So after a few years of this and the store closing I went back to just painting my armies
    I feel the need now and again to play but the few people I have some form of contact here show little interest and I know there is no one that wants to play or accepts newish people into their "club"

• RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Fantasy won me over because it has Aztec Dinosaurs that ride other Dinosaurs that are ruled by an order of drug-addled Toad-Man wizards, the most powerful of which is actually a skeleton

This doesn't actually sound too different from Space Marine lore.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
    I liked the Lizardmen army for what it looked like and what you could paint it like

I really have never found anyone who wanted to play fantasy the few people I knew of who got the models just got them to paint
    I just bought a dark elf army set that I will be beginning the process of painting soon
    But then I also remembered the ongoing messup I had with GW over a certain model

Except Space Marines are not Aztec Dinosaurs which is the most important part

CYpGAPn.png
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    and vampire counts, who are pretty metal, but in like a 1980's kinda Iron Maiden, Judas Priest sort of way
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb9bXzSqavc
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW3GlUyExUU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEt-aRGV5nA
    like that

as opposed to 40k which is metal like THIS
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4wnZeWQd5o
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73Za2PVVDcI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRUJU1G1VJY

so. there's that.

Well there was a 40k record
    It was nothing but metal and orc sounds

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    also i guess i could have posted some bolt thrower but eeeehhhh

• Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Aztec dinosaurs are pretty boss

But man I love the idea of a more long-focused Alexander the Great being revived by potentially the greatest spell caster in history, but being too damn willful in his own right to be controlled and actively telling all the similarly revived rulers who had come after him to go back to their tombs, this was his shit, and them all doing it.

Like if Augustus Caesar was raised from the dead (and somehow with Agrippa's combat acumen) and just told every other roman emperor who'd woken up with him to fuck off, I'm Augustus Caesar and you'd just get in my way.

So damn cool.

vFLsxZ2.jpg
    YEAAAAAH

CYpGAPn.png
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Shit that is incredible though

square bases...

Radius wrote: »
    square bases...

for marching in ranks and fitting in trays you silly billy.

n3rL5T6.jpg
    That gem on its back? It shoots magic lasers.

Or, if you prefer:
    tCNlrC3.jpg
    A walking snake factory.

CYpGAPn.png
    square bases...

trays...

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    dark-elves-release-34.jpg

69969_md-Cold%20One%20Knight%20Dark%20Elves%20Elf.jpg

Weaver on
    edited March 2014
    godddd i wish i had money for a couple armies. lizardmen, maybe some Bretonians.

and ORKZ.

edit: or plague marines.

or grey knights.

Metzger Meister on
    The fact that Dark Elves get baller as hell Cold Ones while Lizardmen still have:
    7F4CK7W.jpg
    is a goddamn crime

CYpGAPn.png
    If we're just talking about awesome models, than I love me some Warmachine warjacks.

Shame about the power creep, but those were some badass mechs.

godddd i wish i had money for a couple armies. lizardmen, maybe some Bretonians.

and ORKZ.

or grey knights.

ebay seems to have fire sales every now and again
    But be warned you have to know what you are looking for and what condition is acceptable

square bases...

trays...

For moving formations of little mens!

Brainleech wrote: »

and ORKZ.

or grey knights.

ebay seems to have fire sales every now and again
    But be warned you have to know what you are looking for and what condition is acceptable

I'm always sort of hesitant to get some because as fascinated as I am with everything, I don't know anyone who plays here in town and I've never had a hobby even CLOSE to miniature wargaming.

But Blank the Druchii are the incarnation of being metal as fuck

Weaver wrote: »
    But Blank the Druchii are the incarnation of being metal as fuck
    Yes but the Lizardmen are actually dinosaurs

They should get first crack at rad Raptors

CYpGAPn.png
    Well the Druchii are slavers. Maybe they raided the lizard men and stole their raddest beasts.

I remember I bought a Dark Elf dude just for the Cold One mount for my Oldblood

the saddle was a bitch and a half to file down so it would fit just right

CYpGAPn.png
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I have some eldar

and also one dark eldar model, which I do not think they make anymore

it's the boss eldar guy riding what is essentially a hovering evil pimpmobile

anyway I think I'm done buying any GW stuff, they suck so hard these days it's tough to justify spending money on any of it

• marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I think I have spent thousands on my 40k stuff
    But then I look at it and think wow I got this still for a steal compared to today's prices

I do like the hobby aspect of wargaming but not the time and money sink it is
    Or how you find people who are just sore losers still at their age or the dreaded douchebag

The cost and the potential to meet rule nazi douchebags are the main things keeping me off this terrible habit.

• LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    I used to collect a bunch of warhammer stuff. Mostly for the converting and painting. I managed to get to Games Day once with one an army diorama. Basically made a huge display board and converted a bunch of ogres. It was pretty fun. Then I just ran out of money and time and getting to the store was a hassle. And I just couldn't quite get excited enough to pain ranks and ranks of empire troops.

But I was quite proud of this:
    2n41dh.jpg

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    I just want a mass effect style game in the 40k universe, where you play an inquisitor

instead of paragn/renegade you have puritan/radical

gotta go across a sector collecting a ragtag retinue of badasses and beat back some dread evil into the warp

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    I would also settle for a 40k civlike, a la Master of Orion or Galactic Civilizations

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    A neat thing I loved about my local GW store as a kid: This is back in 2nd Edition 40k. I was about 8-9 They had a house rule that that whoever was loudest at shouting 'Waaaaaaaaagh' got to go first. I had a loud voice and often won.

I have two anecdotes about this house rule. One was my mum was out shopping one day and she heard a faint screaming. A customer next to her in the queue wondered out loud what that was. My mum turned to her and said 'oh thats just my son and his friends'. Bear in mind the GW shop was outside the shopping center, she was inside about 500-600 metres away and in a busy supermarket and could still hear us.
    The second was a year or 2 later at a gamesday where one table was doing a recreation of the Battle of Rorkes Drift, with Savage Orcs replacing Zulus and Dwarf thunderers replacing the British. This battle is one of my favourite battles so young me was enthralled at the concept. They also did the 'shout waaaaaaagh louder to go first' thing as fitted with the hordes of savage orcs theme. I kept coming back to replay the match and everytime the guy running it would say 'hey its the little shouter' and at one point told the other side to cover their ears when I went to shout.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I want a 40k game where YOU IZ AN ORK

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I had a really good time playing the Rogue Trader RPG.

I'd like to play Dark Heresy but I don't know people.

My Dark Heresy rule book has a very metallic ink smell to it

dark heresy online play

god

if only

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • manjimanji Registered User regular
    Elaro wrote: »
    Another good HH book is "The First Heretic" by Aaron Demsky-Bowden, about the fall of Lorgar, the orchestrator of the fall of the other legions.

Demski-Bowden is tied with Abnett for the crown of GWs best author in my opinion, you can't go wrong with anything he's written.

His Night Lords books are especially good, for chaos marines especially the characters are pretty nuanced, running from slavering Khornate berzerkers to a main character who views chaos with equal disdain to the imperium.

edited March 2014
    Weaver wrote: »
    I'd like to play Dark Heresy but I don't know people.

you know THIS GUY

so drop me a line if you find someone who wants to run a game

Shorty on