As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hiking is some of the biggest bullshit ever.

12346»

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Liiya wrote: »
    Yeah yoga is always good, and you can go at your own pace!

Sometimes your back just throws a wobby for no reason. I'd see how long it lasts for, and if any of the yoga helps to improve things.

Yeah, sometimes the body just goes FUCK YOU out of nowhere.

I had a random cramp in my back while sleeping, once.

I woke up to what felt like my spine attempting to shred it's way out of my torso. I was pretty much bedridden all day, and felt like shit for the better part of a week, if I recall.

I've never had it that bad for that long. Mine freaked out a few days ago and is nearly fine now, I'd dread a week : /

• Options
    Helpless RockHelpless Rock Registered User regular
    If you have the insurance to cover it, chiropractors can do magic tricks with your folded body if you're into that sort of thing. I had a crazy back spasm once that knocked me to the floor that a single chiropractor visit got rid of.

Doing the yoga stuff mentioned and other stretches can help them from happening again or in the first place though and those are certainly good options.

WT83sWz.jpg
    Steam: Car1gt // Tumblr // Facebook // Twitter
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    I used to live with a physiotherapist and I had really sore back muscles one day from work and said to her "oh, Sophie, was wondering, I've really hurt my back from being hunched over making buttonholes, what should I do?"

"Don't do that" and she just walked off. Ruuuude.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I recommend doin it in the butt

• Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    Just saying that at least in the US, areas we have let "go wild" are the result of forced depopulation of those places. Also we still manage those places. Also the act of humans interacting with them do affect the ecosystems there, even if it's just backpackers in a Wilderness Area.

which doesn't make the outdoors unnatural! It does, however, mean that they are manmade. They look and act the way they do because of human intervention. I think in most people's minds there is a distinction between "natural" places and "unnatural" ones like cities. I definitely think this has resulted in an attitude which doesn't consider an urban environment worth managing as a natural landscape, with deleterious effects on its inhabitants. There is also the environmental movement's skeleton in the closet: many conservationists, early or otherwise, were specifically trying to maintain the "purity" of nature from city-dwelling brown folks.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I have properly done my back in, to the point of being crippled for several days, three times.

Once was moving furniture. Okay, that makes sense, that's hard work.
    Once was putting on underwear. Which is just embarrassing.
    Once was stretching while sat in a chair. What.

Each time resulted in me lying flat on the floor for over an hour, then moving like a B-movie robot for about a week afterwards. Back pain suuuucks.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I was recently told that on OKC, liking hiking is code for liking sex in the outdoors.
    Take that for what you will.

Stretching and core strength especially help bad back.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I had a lot of back and neck and shoulder pain after getting my valve replaced (I heard it was because after they crack your sternum they spread you open wide and you stay like that for hours) and that hospital bed didn't help any. I think all the stiffness also gave me some tension headaches but I'm not sure. Anyway I do know that once I got home, sleeping on my awesome bed and lots of gentle yoga and stretching helped tons.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    I realized I sounded super combative about nature stuff. I am not! I love backpacking, and fishing and hiking and everything. I just like thinking about how our culture has constructed this idea of "untouched by the hand of man," which is a compete fantasy.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Yeah yoga is always good, and you can go at your own pace!

Sometimes your back just throws a wobby for no reason. I'd see how long it lasts for, and if any of the yoga helps to improve things.

Yeah, sometimes the body just goes FUCK YOU out of nowhere.

I had a random cramp in my back while sleeping, once.

I woke up to what felt like my spine attempting to shred it's way out of my torso. I was pretty much bedridden all day, and felt like shit for the better part of a week, if I recall.

I've never had it that bad for that long. Mine freaked out a few days ago and is nearly fine now, I'd dread a week : /

Better part, meaning around 4, maybe 5 days.

As in able to walk, but with a shitty backache for that time period.

Also this was ages ago and I could be mistaken in how long it lasted.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    the city is manmade nature and man makes some cool shit

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    Is there anything in, say, Scotland that's natural? Or is that all just as farmed over?

Above the treeline maybe? Still be paths and cairns. Maybe up on Rannoch Moor or out in the islands?

It's not like the scenery is any less stunning for being grazed and lumbered. Went to Loch Tay weekend before last:
    rfdECmx7qsXrqrcX6hJUiLKsjewNxdRF3qEbAm5bB5I

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    The british isles have been inhabited for so long, though. And the thing with humans is that it's not just post-industrial-revolution that we've been impacting environments on a large scale. Ancient man caused mass extinctions upon migration; ever since we first started cultivating land or building with wood or stone we've been changing the world to suit our needs. There are places (few) which have had minimal direct contact with human beings even over the millennia, but then we need to keep in mind long-range or global effects, like climate change, nuclear testing, even localised airborne pollution.

So yes, the 'natural' vs 'man-made' distinction is somewhat artificial. But I think it's worth being mindful of our tendency to tread heavy upon the earth, and also bear witness to the earth's ability to recover, and 'natural' places can help us do that. Also there is a flip side to the argument - we are not independent of the earth; places people live are just as natural, just as much a product of earth's evolution and history, as places they don't. The false dualism goes right through, and saying 'no place on earth is truly 'natural'' is just as much of a fallacy as insisting that the local woodland a few km away is untouched by the hand of man.

uh ... not sure what that was leading up to. Nature rules? let's try and keep trees and shit around, I like them.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    As a person who enjoys some solitude, I am so glad I live in Australia.

The feeling of crawling into my swag, hundreds of kilometres from the next nearest human and not a single hint of light pollution in the sky is something akin to magic.

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    I've only gone camping a handful of times in my life, but I would love to do more. I am sad I never got to do Boy Scouts when I was younger.
    One goal I have is to climb Mt. Fugi.

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    I go hiking in the Lake District whenever I visit family up there.

I'm not super fit but there's something pleasant about wandering around hills and mountains for an hour or two until you can look around you and see not a single speck of civilisation.

• Options
    SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    Fuck it now I'm looking up good hiking trails near Chicago, I know what I'm doing this summer

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    Hiking is something I do to get to places for hunting or fishing. The act on its own is not that enjoyable to me. Granted I don't hate it either, unless sticker bushes or thorns are involved. Fuck that kind of nature.

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I love hiking to a climb. But hiking itself just kind of bores me a bit. Though I do need to do it a bunch more to get in shape for climbing a mountain at some point

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I went for a walk/hike on Sunday, up and back down the Wye valley. It wasn't really a hike because we weren't exactly far from civilisation (well, we were in Wales, har har har)

We started and ended our route by Tintern Abbey, (founded 1131), walked across some rolling hills, and then had a cream tea. It was the most English possible day out. In Wales.

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Dis' wrote: »
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    Is there anything in, say, Scotland that's natural? Or is that all just as farmed over?

Above the treeline maybe? Still be paths and cairns. Maybe up on Rannoch Moor or out in the islands?

It's not like the scenery is any less stunning for being grazed and lumbered. Went to Loch Tay weekend before last:

The beauty mostly undimnshed by Loch Tay's role in the Breadalbane Hydro-Electric Power Scheme with Finlarig power station on it's banks

As for completly untouched, I would say what remains of the Flow Country would qualify.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    Bé ChuilleBé Chuille Registered User regular
    Ugh stupid back I hate you >_<

Hey guys I am so inflexible that I can't even do standing toe touch. In fact, I can barely even reach my shins. SO STIFF.

I'm late to this thread but ballet is awesome for butts and backs, you don't need anything other than access to YouTube and you can work at your own pace