As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Industry Thread] Will MS' VR headset let you watch yourself or others through Kinect?

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Or the new God of War for the PS4 is just going to be a series reboot and start us all over again.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Or the new God of War for the PS4 is just going to be a series reboot and start us all over again.

Grittier Kratos. He's angrier than before! Also more sex QTEs!

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    lol God of War has to reboot, they've run out of things for Kratos to kill.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Sony just announced that they're offering free PS4 plug-ins for GameMaker & Monogame.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/03/19/gdc-new-tools-and-middleware-coming-to-ps4/

That is astounding. What's the status of Unity with PS4?

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

Nah, they can just switch pantheons. First Norway. Then Egypt.

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

He just needs a new pantheon to piss him off. Kratos VS Odin in the ultimate grudge match!

• Options
    I really want to know what happened after the ending of 3. 2 is probably the best one overall, but 3 was pretty damn great.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I didn't post this at the time because it didn't seem to go much beyond PR yammer, but this came out a couple weeks back:
    Last week, we revealed that there were layoffs at Sony Santa Monica, the PlayStation-exclusive studio that’s best known for its God of War franchise. Sony corroborated what our sources told us, confirming the reduction in staff.

The PlayStation brand’s head of internal software development, Scott Rohde, spoke with IGN about the layoffs, trying to bring some clarity to the situation.

“We’re always evaluating the business, and we’re always thinking about what’s going to be the best thing,” Rohde said. “But I think you know that PlayStation and Worldwide Studios has a pretty unique structure that really encourages creativity and exploration. And, of course, within that framework, not every title can be a success.”

Rohde later noted that “There’s not a single business on the planet where every single project that is started is a success. And that’s just what happened here. So sometimes, high profile projects or studios need a reboot, and that’s what’s happening here. Santa Monica will always be a hugely important part of our global family of studios. It’s still a huge studio that’s right up there around 200 people, even after the recent layoffs.”

“So they’re still a hugely important part of what we do,” Rohde continued. “That hasn’t changed. It’s not going to change any time soon. You guys are just going to have to be patient and wait for us to announce what’s coming next from Santa Monica.”

After pressing Rohde about which project – if any – was cancelled, and where that leaves Sony Santa Monica’s current slate of unannounced games, he said that “We’re not talking specifically about what projects were going. What I will say is what I said earlier. It’s that, sometimes, a project needs a reboot. So that’s what we’re doing overall with the titles we’re working on there, and the studio itself. And I believe it’s a very good thing for the health of that studio.”

Rohde confirmed that big, retail-style triple-A games will still be emerging from Sony Santa Monica in the future in addition to their rather prolific external development and second party incubation programs. “I have no problem saying that there is a huge internal development team,” Rohde said. “So, of course, that’s something Santa Monica will always be working on… There will always be an XDEV element, and there will always be an internal development element at Santa Monica.”

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/03/07/sony-on-god-of-war-dev-layoffs-asometimes-a-project-needs-a-reboota

It seems possible that the layoffs were a direct result of Stig's project getting canned, and that he may have taken it personally. Or have even been part of the layoffs.

Maybe the project just wasn't coming together well? That happens. I just hope this isn't a sign of Sony hopping on board the Activision model.

You mean the "Good job guys! Here's your pink slip." model?

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    http://www.destructoid.com/epic-games-announces-new-19-99-mo-unreal-engine-4-subscription-plan-272174.phtml

There's probably more details to this, but wow on the face this looks like a great licensing deal. The cost of development tools has never been lower.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I didn't post this at the time because it didn't seem to go much beyond PR yammer, but this came out a couple weeks back:
    Last week, we revealed that there were layoffs at Sony Santa Monica, the PlayStation-exclusive studio that’s best known for its God of War franchise. Sony corroborated what our sources told us, confirming the reduction in staff.

The PlayStation brand’s head of internal software development, Scott Rohde, spoke with IGN about the layoffs, trying to bring some clarity to the situation.

“We’re always evaluating the business, and we’re always thinking about what’s going to be the best thing,” Rohde said. “But I think you know that PlayStation and Worldwide Studios has a pretty unique structure that really encourages creativity and exploration. And, of course, within that framework, not every title can be a success.”

Rohde later noted that “There’s not a single business on the planet where every single project that is started is a success. And that’s just what happened here. So sometimes, high profile projects or studios need a reboot, and that’s what’s happening here. Santa Monica will always be a hugely important part of our global family of studios. It’s still a huge studio that’s right up there around 200 people, even after the recent layoffs.”

“So they’re still a hugely important part of what we do,” Rohde continued. “That hasn’t changed. It’s not going to change any time soon. You guys are just going to have to be patient and wait for us to announce what’s coming next from Santa Monica.”

After pressing Rohde about which project – if any – was cancelled, and where that leaves Sony Santa Monica’s current slate of unannounced games, he said that “We’re not talking specifically about what projects were going. What I will say is what I said earlier. It’s that, sometimes, a project needs a reboot. So that’s what we’re doing overall with the titles we’re working on there, and the studio itself. And I believe it’s a very good thing for the health of that studio.”

Rohde confirmed that big, retail-style triple-A games will still be emerging from Sony Santa Monica in the future in addition to their rather prolific external development and second party incubation programs. “I have no problem saying that there is a huge internal development team,” Rohde said. “So, of course, that’s something Santa Monica will always be working on… There will always be an XDEV element, and there will always be an internal development element at Santa Monica.”

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/03/07/sony-on-god-of-war-dev-layoffs-asometimes-a-project-needs-a-reboota

It seems possible that the layoffs were a direct result of Stig's project getting canned, and that he may have taken it personally. Or have even been part of the layoffs.

Maybe the project just wasn't coming together well? That happens. I just hope this isn't a sign of Sony hopping on board the Activision model.

You mean the "Good job guys! Here's your pink slip." model?

"Oh yes, we're very pleased with the games success, very pleased. It was made by the finest group of individuals I've ever had the opportunity to fire."

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    http://www.destructoid.com/epic-games-announces-new-19-99-mo-unreal-engine-4-subscription-plan-272174.phtml

There's probably more details to this, but wow on the face this looks like a great licensing deal. The cost of development tools has never been lower.

5% for Epic and 30% for Steam/Apple/Google. Attractive for new people indeed but veterans might have different input.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    That's right, Sony did rain fire and brimstone on Superbot the instant they finished Sony Random Words Smash Bros., didn't they?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options

5% for Epic and 30% for Steam/Apple/Google. Attractive for new people indeed but veterans might have different input.

That 30% fee isn't a development fee, though, that's publishing. Good luck finding a publisher in the traditional model that's willing to give you the sort of visibility that those platforms provide while charging less than 30% of your revenue.

• Options
    I was wondering when UE4 would be available to the public. Jeesh, UE4 launching today, GameMaker getting PS4 tools... I get it, universe, you're telling me to stop being lazy and start getting back to working on game development. Alright, alright!

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Fawst wrote: »
    I was wondering when UE4 would be available to the public. Jeesh, UE4 launching today, GameMaker getting PS4 tools... I get it, universe, you're telling me to stop being lazy and start getting back to working on game development. Alright, alright!

I've been waiting for your magnum opus for years, bro.
    Not really.
    But maybe!
    STALKER!

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    EA has secured publishing rights for Titanfall 2.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/report-ea-secures-rights-to-titanfall-2/1100-6418404/
    Electronic Arts has secured sequel rights for Respawn Entertainment's multiplayer shooter Titanfall, a reputable source has informed GameSpot.

The option to land Titanfall 2 was based on the performance of the original, our source said. Official sales data is not available, but from what we're hearing, Titanfall has performed well and even helped boost Xbox One sales. We already know that's true in the UK.

An EA representative told GameSpot, "We do not comment on rumor or speculation. Right now all our focus is on supporting all the fans worldwide enjoying Titanfall."

The original Titanfall is available only on Xbox and PC platforms. Terms of EA's agreement to publish Titanfall 2 are not clear, so we don't know yet if PlayStation and/or Nintendo fans will get a crack at the rumored next game in the series.

EA CFO Blake Jorgensen said previously that he is "sure" that potential sequels to Titanfall could come to PlayStation and/or Nintendo platforms.

Titanfall launched March 11 for Xbox One and PC. The Xbox 360 version was delayed again today to a release on April 8. For more, check out our Titanfall review.

i wonder how the new deals varies from their existing one. perhaps a clause ensuring that the next game can't be locked down as platform exclusive?

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    EA has secured publishing rights for Titanfall 2.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/report-ea-secures-rights-to-titanfall-2/1100-6418404/
    Electronic Arts has secured sequel rights for Respawn Entertainment's multiplayer shooter Titanfall, a reputable source has informed GameSpot.

The option to land Titanfall 2 was based on the performance of the original, our source said. Official sales data is not available, but from what we're hearing, Titanfall has performed well and even helped boost Xbox One sales. We already know that's true in the UK.

An EA representative told GameSpot, "We do not comment on rumor or speculation. Right now all our focus is on supporting all the fans worldwide enjoying Titanfall."

The original Titanfall is available only on Xbox and PC platforms. Terms of EA's agreement to publish Titanfall 2 are not clear, so we don't know yet if PlayStation and/or Nintendo fans will get a crack at the rumored next game in the series.

EA CFO Blake Jorgensen said previously that he is "sure" that potential sequels to Titanfall could come to PlayStation and/or Nintendo platforms.

Titanfall launched March 11 for Xbox One and PC. The Xbox 360 version was delayed again today to a release on April 8. For more, check out our Titanfall review.

i wonder how the new deals varies from their existing one. perhaps a clause ensuring that the next game can't be locked down as platform exclusive?

Only if Respawn is actual mad about that.

• Options
    well they obviously aren't that upset or else they wouldn't be continuing to work with EA. though ultimately, who else is there for them to work with? i don't see them working with Activision. Ubisoft are more self contained in their operations. neither Sega or Square-Enix seems likely.

it really does seem like its either EA or dealing directly with either MS or Sony(most likely MS given the pre-established relationship).

• Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    Hello, industry thread! :)

Welp, I guess I'm officially an Unreal Engine licensee now... wow, this feels weird. Last time I worked with this engine was about 8 or so years ago, developing the Community Bonus Pack for UT2004 and adapting my level for the Epic Mega Pack... I wonder if I've still got it.

Did anyone else bite? :-)

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Assuming that Titanfall really is doing great (we don't have any numbers on that yet, do we?), it wouldn't have been that hard for Respawn to convince EA that Titanfall 2 being Xbone-/PC-exclusive would be stupid and lose money. If the current trend of the PS4 outselling the Xbone continues, then that means a multi-platform release to both consoles would have a MUCH large market to sell to by the time the sequel comes around. It would be pretty hard for Microsoft to moneyhat a proven franchise that will definitely sell bucketloads on anything it releases on, especially since support for the older consoles will be pretty much dead at that point.

• Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    Kashaar wrote: »
    Hello, industry thread! :)

Welp, I guess I'm officially an Unreal Engine licensee now... wow, this feels weird. Last time I worked with this engine was about 8 or so years ago, developing the Community Bonus Pack for UT2004 and adapting my level for the Epic Mega Pack... I wonder if I've still got it.

Did anyone else bite? :-)

That's awesome but you probably want to head on out to the Game Dev thread. When you have a game out and you are the next Notch, then we can talk about your billions of dollars here.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Given that it's EA, Titanfall 2 will be on every non-Nintendo platform in existence unless someone ponies up some serious cash.

• Options
    I like how that article did throw in Nintendo. Just to be inclusive (or in case EA ships it off to a studio to do a side-scrolling 3DS port, which I would totally play)

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    I like how that article did throw in Nintendo. Just to be inclusive (or in case EA ships it off to a studio to do a side-scrolling 3DS port, which I would totally play)

Unf. It would be like a modern day Cybernator or Metal Warriors.

• Options
    Assuming that Titanfall really is doing great (we don't have any numbers on that yet, do we?), it wouldn't have been that hard for Respawn to convince EA that Titanfall 2 being Xbone-/PC-exclusive would be stupid and lose money. If the current trend of the PS4 outselling the Xbone continues, then that means a multi-platform release to both consoles would have a MUCH large market to sell to by the time the sequel comes around. It would be pretty hard for Microsoft to moneyhat a proven franchise that will definitely sell bucketloads on anything it releases on, especially since support for the older consoles will be pretty much dead at that point.

no official numbers yet, but a completely unscientific look at trueachievements.com currently has it as the 2nd most popular Xbox One title, right between Dead Rising 3 and Forza 5. those two are also the only Xbone titles to have sold 1 million so far, so make of that what you will.

i've no doubt that we'll get an official announcement before to long. beginning of April at the latest i'd say.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Given that it's EA, Titanfall 2 will be on every non-Nintendo platform in existence unless someone ponies up some serious cash.

There's also the question of how much Microsoft's contribution of free server hosting and all that jazz that the one article talked up matters.

My guess is not enough to count, but technically we don't know.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    AchireAchire Isn't life disappointing? Yes, it is. Registered User regular
    Our sources also tell us that the next Titanfall will not be a Microsoft exclusive. The original Titanfall was exclusive to Microsoft platforms: Xbox 360, Xbox One and Windows PC.

I hate giving these clowns hits, but this rumor was posted on Polygon. You have to release on the most successfull console to chase the COD dream, so I can't exactly say I'm surprised if this ends up being true.

• Options
    the folks at Respawn have been pretty vocal about the exclusivity deal only applying to the current game and their desire to have future games on more/other platforms. of course, its still incredibly early and things could certainly change on that front. i wouldn't be surprised if MS are readying an offer to keep the series exclusive.

time will tell what the future holds for Titanfall, but i think its a bit early for any meaningful speculation.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Achire wrote: »
    Our sources also tell us that the next Titanfall will not be a Microsoft exclusive. The original Titanfall was exclusive to Microsoft platforms: Xbox 360, Xbox One and Windows PC.

I hate giving these clowns hits, but this rumor was posted on Polygon. You have to release on the most successfull console to chase the COD dream, so I can't exactly say I'm surprised if this ends up being true.

Hey, Ben Kuchera writes for Polygon now. Has to count for something. Maybe?

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    EA and Microsoft have been pretty tight though, which a bunch of xbone exclusives, be it timed or total exclusive. Could this be another.... Unprecedented relationship?

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    At this point Microsoft probably just wants (and probably can only get) DLC exclusivity windows (something in the 2 to 3 week range) and lead platform status (so Xbox branding appears most prominently whenever ads are presented) for Titanfall 2.

• Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    At this point Microsoft probably just wants (and probably can only get) DLC exclusivity windows (something in the 2 to 3 week range) and lead platform status (so Xbox branding appears most prominently whenever ads are presented) for Titanfall 2.

The cost for another exclusivity deal now Titanfall is an established success both critically and in sales will far outweigh the benefits of having it as an exclusive. This is why microsoft started with the whole exclusive DLC deals for GTA, its a quick way to get an advantage over the competition at a cheaper price.

• Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    I could see MS getting a CoD/BF style 'we get the DLC a month earlier' deal in exchange for continued free/cheap Azure access.

Of course one wonders how the dedicated servers for a PS4 version would work? I guess EA would either have to pay MS for more Azure access or run their own servers.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    I doubt that Microsoft would pass up the chance to make a lot more money by having PS4 games run on the Azure network. If the stuff runs on PC, it would certainly be adjustable to run on Azure from PS4s.

And if they did keep Sony stuff off that network, I would have to wonder if that was even legal to exclude people from a communication network like that if they're willing to pay the contract rates.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    I kinda hope Titanfall stays Microsoft-exclusive just to fuck with fanboys a bit.

But that's me being selfish.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I could see MS getting a CoD/BF style 'we get the DLC a month earlier' deal in exchange for continued free/cheap Azure access.

Of course one wonders how the dedicated servers for a PS4 version would work? I guess EA would either have to pay MS for more Azure access or run their own servers.

Wouldn't they just run on Sony servers? Again, I think it's less a matter of what Azure can do (that is, pretty much the same thing as modern servers) and more a matter of the fact that the company owns them outright. Also marketing. I can't think of another time game geeks got worked up over the name of a server.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I doubt that Microsoft would pass up the chance to make a lot more money by having PS4 games run on the Azure network. If the stuff runs on PC, it would certainly be adjustable to run on Azure from PS4s.

And if they did keep Sony stuff off that network, I would have to wonder if that was even legal to exclude people from a communication network like that if they're willing to pay the contract rates.

They could absolutely deny access to the Azure servers, and I'm sure they will if it comes down to that. One of the distinguishing features of their console in the marketplace is the superior network platform.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I have one thing to say about EA confirming Titanfall 2.

It's going to be an amazing day when the servers for Titanfall go down.

• Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular

Oh, I'm noting saying MS wouldn't do it, they just aren't gonna offer them near the deal they'll get for the XO and PC versions. Which means EA would have to either pay full price or use their own servers.

Still, all kinds of stuff can change. EA could announce TF2 will run on Amazons cloud or MS could announce they gave Vince Zampella a gold dump truck full of diamonds and bought the company.

This discussion has been closed.