As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Risen from a 60 million year slumber, the SE++ [Warhammer 40000] thread

• Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    I just want a mass effect style game in the 40k universe, where you play an inquisitor

instead of paragn/renegade you have puritan/radical

gotta go across a sector collecting a ragtag retinue of badasses and beat back some dread evil into the warp

every so often this thought comes into my head and it's basically the kind of game I most want

I mean Dark Heresy is great and everything but to have a fully realized video game done in Mass Effect style, maybe some LA Noire style questioning and shit

It really would be the best

• Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    the 40K role-playing games are hands down my favourite tabletop games to play these days

I've been running a game of Only War and it's basically everything I want out of an RPG aside from the odd quibble with the rules

I've heard it can be pretty swingy in that the players can just eat shit constantly true guardsman style or they get to act like they're the special forces of the IG and be amazing all the time

My players have definitely been the latter group, rolling around in their Chimera and just pushing the shit in of everything they meet

The heavy gunner managed to make a Logistics test to acquire a Multi-Melta (the target number was 4 given a bunch of favourable factors for their warzone, keeping in mind you're rolling d100 and aiming under the number)

So even though they don't have a dedicated anti-tank weapon on the vehicle, he pokes out of the hatch, braces instantly with his bulging biceps, and proceeds to wreck shit

• SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    I really liked the Dawn of war games, but never played Space Marine beyond the demo. My younger cousin got really into 40k but goddamn those prices, I bought one box of Space Wolves for $25 dollars and just could not honestly expect to pay three of four times that for an extremely basic army, however badass

my only exposure to Fantasy was blood bowl so while also cool, I have no clue about the lore. But what the fuck giant aztec dinosaurs!!! that is amazing

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Da lore of warhammer/40k requires only one thing
    BEER

• BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    I am pretty glad I bought a bunch of stuff on ebay, at auctions, etc a ways back. I mean, it was still insane to do so at the time, but it's looking like a prudent investment now. I could make all my money back and more if I sold it on ebay.

(I will not do that.)

BrocksMullet on
    I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    Fantasy is good too. The Malus Darkblade stuff was delightful. Thunder & Steel is a collection of Abnett short stories that are really good too. My favorite was one about some demi-lancers during an invasion by the northern Chaos tribes.

Riders of the Dead by Abnett is a full novel about lancers during a Kurgan invasion.

It's what hooked me into Fantasy and 40K novels.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    MY FACE FAITH IS MY SHIELD.

newSig.jpg
  • GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    Dan Abnett also made the Ultramarines look badass in the book Know No Fear. Which is an interesting feat considering the Ultramarines are normally considered the blandest most boring space marine chapter.
    The gist is the Ultramarines get a massive sneak attack on them during the Horus Heresy by the Word Bearers. Thousands of Marines die in the opening minutes, millions/billions of normal men die, a continent gets levelled by a several-mile long spaceship smacking into it from orbit, and it rains tanks at one point because of the ships being blown up in orbit.
    The Ultramarines response is not to cower and try to hide/get away from the enemy fleet blowing the crap out of everything that moves but to get pissed off, organise whats left to fight back and win the battle
    Its like if during Pearl Harbour right in the middle of the Japanese attack, the US navy said 'fuck the Japanese' sailed into the Pacific and destroyed the entire Japanese navy in one go.

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    The most evil thing ever created in the 40k universe
    Lijah Cuu

• Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Sure as sure

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    The most evil thing ever created in the 40k universe
    Lijah Cuu

As opposed to the most evil thing ever created for the 40k universe.
    Games Workshop Shareholders.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I love the universe of 40k. It is jus tthe grimmest, least hopeful place ever, but bad-asses all around keep fighting to protect the innocent/in the Emperor's name/whatever. Even against all odds. That is metal.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Blood Angels are my homies

The rest of you loyalists....you're pretty cool.

But you're not Lord "I am officially too old for this shit" Dante cool.

I remember a thread in CF where someone signed up for a 2v2 tournament with another forumer. One was Blood Angels, the other Space Wolves.

They were instantly dubbed "Team Twilight".

newSig.jpg
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    the 40K role-playing games are hands down my favourite tabletop games to play these days

I've been running a game of Only War and it's basically everything I want out of an RPG aside from the odd quibble with the rules

I've heard it can be pretty swingy in that the players can just eat shit constantly true guardsman style or they get to act like they're the special forces of the IG and be amazing all the time

My players have definitely been the latter group, rolling around in their Chimera and just pushing the shit in of everything they meet

The heavy gunner managed to make a Logistics test to acquire a Multi-Melta (the target number was 4 given a bunch of favourable factors for their warzone, keeping in mind you're rolling d100 and aiming under the number)

So even though they don't have a dedicated anti-tank weapon on the vehicle, he pokes out of the hatch, braces instantly with his bulging biceps, and proceeds to wreck shit

after having been in the military I can say that pure mad random chance is absolutely a factor when it comes to logistics and acquisition

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    so hey

about that online dark heresy campaign

we should do that

these guys are doing that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTTSfN8wpsE&list=PL-oTJHKXHicSxBj2DMq_zmJ0QALrhKzVg

why cant we

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I should get back to work on my IG. Or my tyranids. Or my Imperial Fists.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    I would like in on this Dark Heresy shindig. Even though I would prefer a higher-powered game, like Rogue Trader, or Deathwatch.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I would trade some rogues so hard

I'm in for either DH or DW.

newSig.jpg
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    Elaro wrote: »
    I would like in on this Dark Heresy shindig. Even though I would prefer a higher-powered game, like Rogue Trader, or Deathwatch.

BLACK CRUSADE

wY6K6Jb.gif
    I'm still wondering if it's worth it to pick up Scourge of the Heretic and Innocence Proves Nothing. The books are pretty much "take this RPG module and put it into novel format" for some of the first DH adventures, but they are written by Sandy Mitchell (of Ciaphas fame).

newSig.jpg
  • MattitudeMattitude Paste Pot Pete Kicking The BucketRegistered User regular
    I have a pretty big obsessive/obstructive streak, so there was a time when I was just working, buying 40K and LotR stuff, and painting it. And nothing else.
    It was not a good time.

But MAN, I love 40K. just such a great universe. I actually managed to get my Dad hooked on Dan Abnett's stuff, and the Horus Heresy books. He has a pretty big collection, which I totally keep meaning to raid when I go back and visit. The last Gaunt's Ghosts I read was Armour of Contempt, and I haven't read any Heresy since Flight of the Eisenstein.

As for the models? I can't go back there. If I ever pick up a paintbrush again, I will be lost. I think it might have been OK if I'd had more friends who were into it - I would have had some focus to what I was doing instead of just going "I want a whole company of Blood Angels! I want all the models for all the campaigns in all the LotR sourcebooks even though I have no-one to play them with! Ooooh I want some Orks! OH, TAU!"

I still have all that stuff. Can't bring myself to get rid of a couple grand's worth of plastic and metal. Can't bring myself to touch it again.

Man, 40K is so great.

I got this Tumblr and I don't know how to use it.
    Decide on the next line by the rhyme when I choose it.
    Also I put songs on YouTube
    The musings of this lonely rube.

I made a thread once. It didn't end well for me.
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    I just want a mass effect style game in the 40k universe, where you play an inquisitor

instead of paragn/renegade you have puritan/radical

gotta go across a sector collecting a ragtag retinue of badasses and beat back some dread evil into the warp

every so often this thought comes into my head and it's basically the kind of game I most want

I mean Dark Heresy is great and everything but to have a fully realized video game done in Mass Effect style, maybe some LA Noire style questioning and shit

It really would be the best

One day, this needs to happen. The Corpse God Emperor demands it.

488W936.png
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    To be fair
    Your most beloved "son" being completly corrupted by Chaos planning to start the biggest civil war in the history of mankind is pretty important news, I would say almost as important as the Emperor's Webway.

I honestly don't blame him for risking it.

• MattitudeMattitude Paste Pot Pete Kicking The BucketRegistered User regular
    Wow, I did not know Space Marine Centurions were a thing.

Cool?

I got this Tumblr and I don't know how to use it.
    Decide on the next line by the rhyme when I choose it.
    Also I put songs on YouTube
    The musings of this lonely rube.

I made a thread once. It didn't end well for me.
  • IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    I remember in 2008 when I spent $Texas and got myself a whole buncha Tau. The codex at the time was woefully outdated, the Tau were quite poor at the one thing they were meant to be good at, and I never came close to winning a single matchup. Then the local game store closed!

I hear Tau are decent with the recent codex update, though?

My favorite bit of 40k fiction was The Fall of Malvolion. The Marines are neat and all, but I like stories told from the perspective of normal men and women facing the many, many horrors of the galaxy.

• CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Tau and Eldar are probably the best of the 6th edition codices

If you got a huge pile of money to burn you can take 7 riptides in one army using Tau + Farsight allies + Forge World stuff

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I'm so glad I purchased all my Guard back when they were quite as crazy priced. I can't even imagine starting them now.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    @Corehealer‌ Let's not make a habit of this youtubian heresy. That just leads to videos of Captain Boreale and Diomedes singing, and that's serving the Prince of Excess and the Master of Pestilence!

Children's rights are human rights.
  • MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Mattitude wrote: »
    Wow, I did not know Space Marine Centurions were a thing.

Cool?

no

edited March 2014
    I'm so glad I purchased all my Guard back when they were quite as crazy priced. I can't even imagine starting them now.

I have a platoon of metal Valhallans, almost a full platoon of the old plastic stormtroopers, and a squad each of Praetorians and Mordians. And one penal squad made up of some old Rogue Trader figures, a Squat, and various Necromunda gangers.

EDIT: If I may be permitted to post this again... the white army:
    IMG_1198.jpg

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    A REAL CONVERSATION I HAD WITH MY EX

Her: "So I just finished reading the Ravenor books and I think I get why you like 40k."
    Me: "I sincerely doubt that."
    Her: "No, I do!"
    Me: "What's a servitor?"
    Her: "It's, like, a little robot thing."
    Me: "No, a servitor is a human who has been lobotomized and cyborgized to perform a specific task. People undergo servitor conversion for a whole host of reasons, including, but not limited to, failing an aptitude test, being critically injured, committing grievous crimes, being left-handed, or being a hero of exemplary worth of whom songs are sung."
    Her: "THOSE THINGS ARE EVERYWHERE, THAT IS SO FUCKED wait what was that last one?"
    Me: "Also Space Marines are most commonly used as no-joke tax enforcement by the Imperium against Imperial worlds. I am not even making this up."
    Her: "THAT IS SO FUCKING DUMB. ALSO COOL. BUT VERY DUMB."
    Me: "And now you get why I like 40k."

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular

I have a platoon of metal Valhallans, almost a full platoon of the old plastic stormtroopers, and a squad each of Praetorians and Mordians. And one penal squad made up of some old Rogue Trader figures, a Squat, and various Necromunda gangers.

I have a platoon of each type of Guard infantry models including Imperial Army.

Here is a picture from 2009 before that codex came out.

AllIG.jpg

Here is a picture of my Warhound skating on two Super Heavy tanks.
    IMG_0298.jpg

Oh! here's a cool picture of my Dark Angel 4th battle company's last stand in an apocalypse game.
    Apoc10.jpg

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

$1200 for ~10 infantry squads, two stormtrooper squads, two Vendettas, two Russes.

You probably have like fifty fucking grand of IG dude.

And I still want more. I want newer stormtroopers that look better than the ones we've gotten so far.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    edited March 2014

$1200 for ~10 infantry squads, two stormtrooper squads, two Vendettas, two Russes.

At a rough count off my head I have 4 full plastic Cadian platoon. A full platoon of metal Kasrkins, full platoon of metal Mordians, full platoon of metal Steel Legion, full platoon of Elysians, full platoon of metal Vostroyans. A platoon of Last Chancers and another platoon of Gaunt's Ghosts. A half platoon of Rouge Trader Imperial Army. Like ten Sentinels. 15 Leman Russ equivalents. 6 Chimera, 3 Baneblade equivalents, three Basiliks, an old Griffon, three deathstrikes. An unknown quantity of heavy weapon teams. A Warhound Titian. 9 Valkyries. 1 Vendetta Gunship. 1 Thunderbolt, 1 Arvus Lighter. Like one squad of Death Korps of Kreig.

I think there are others I might be forgetting. A lot of it was acquired from other people so I didn't pay nearly full price. Like the Warhound was a restoration effort.

Other forces:
    Full Battle Company of Dark Angel Space Marines.
    A large Grey Knight army.
    Partial Crimson Fists army.
    Random other stuff like a bunch of Orks.

Also I hand painted everything there. All my Guard I painted.

Librarian's ghost on

I really need to finish assembling/painting my last two squads and support vehicles so I have my full SM company.

Then work on my Tau.
    I love my Tau (mainly because they look awesome since I've had more practice painting marines. But my Vanguard and Command squad also look awesome), just wish I could save the mix I used to color their armor and guns so each team/suit doesn't look ever so slightly off.

newSig.jpg

At a rough count off my head I have 4 full plastic Cadian platoon. A full platoon of metal Kasrkins, full platoon of metal Mordians, full platoon of metal Steel Legion, full platoon of Elysians, full platoon of metal Vostroyans. A platoon of Last Chancers and another platoon of Gaunt's Ghosts. A half platoon of Rouge Trader Imperial Army. Like ten Sentinels. 15 Leman Russ equivalents. 6 Chimera, 3 Baneblade equivalents, three Basiliks, an old Griffon, three deathstrikes. An unknown quantity of heavy weapon teams. A Warhound Titian. 9 Valkyries. 1 Vendetta Gunship. 1 Thunderbolt, 1 Arvus Lighter. Like one squad of Death Korps of Kreig.

I think there are others I might be forgetting. A lot of it was acquired from other people so I didn't pay nearly full price. Like the Warhound was a restoration effort.

Other forces:
    Full Battle Company of Dark Angel Space Marines.
    A large Grey Knight army.
    Partial Crimson Fists army.
    Random other stuff like a bunch of Orks.

Also I hand painted everything there. All my Guard I painted.

Yeah 15 Russ variants alone is $750 retail,.

What are you calling a full platoon? PCS + 5 squads?