As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Things to do in Boston that are not pax?

2»

• Options
    MurdokXMurdokX Registered User new member
    So excited for Pax!
    This video is a good summary for sights and attractions!
    http://youtu.be/JvUMV1N7eGM

• Options
    DedEyeDedEye DCRegistered User regular
    I'm in a similar boat, but I'm expecting a fairly easy time getting a Saturday pass (I was able to buy a Saturday pass without much issue in 2012). I'm actually going up a week early so I can explore more of the city and not miss any of PAX.

• Options
    MordegaldMordegald Registered User regular
    A couple specific recommendations regarding food:

Mike's Pastry: Located at 300 Hanover in the North End, around the corner from the Paul Revere house. This place is an institution; they've got every kind of traditional Italian pastries, including bar none the best cannoli I've ever had. Even my first-generation Sicilian immigrant grandmother liked them, and she's a tough one to please.

The Shops At Porter Square: A small mall just down the street from the Porter Square Red Line station in Cambridge. If you like any variety of Japanese food, hit this place up. The main attraction is Sapporo Ramen; show up early though, the line for that is usually around the corner. The stuffed rice balls at Japonaise Bakery are also worth checking out. They're usually stuffed with either spicy tuna or marinated seaweed, and one of them is usually enough fuel for a whole day of walking.

Shalimar India Food & Spices: Another Cambridge attraction. This place is a small Indian grocer's about a block from the Central Square Red Line station. There's a cafe in the back where they serve any kind of hot Indian food you can name (and if you're an Irish-Italian mutt like me, more than a few that you can't). If you go, grab a cup of tea and a masala dosa; a fried crepe-like thing filled with fluffy potatoes and spiced veggies and served with a few homemade chutneys. They serve them hot and huge, so come hungry.

Clover Food Lab: If you happen to be in the market for vegetarian or vegan food, this is your one stop shop. Clover operates four locations around Boston and Cambridge (including one in Harvard Square and one on the MIT campus), as well as a wandering food truck. The laboratory/greenhouse aesthetic can be a little strange, but even if it's not your thing the food and drink makes up for it. Even confirmed omnivores will find something to their tastes.

• Options
    TheMostHumanTheMostHuman Boston, MARegistered User new member
    Hello all! Local Bostonian of 9 years reporting in. I wanted to offer some perhaps less well-broadcasted options for exploration. This list will contain any range of activities, of varying degrees of cost, so it *should* offer something for everyone (well, mostly 21+ people due to drinking venues) looking for adventure beyond the confines of the Seaport World Trade Center. I'll also offer local travel suggestions, as it shouldn't be the fate of every PAX-go'er to hemorrhage money into the deep pockets of the taxi trade. And away we go!
    • Harpoon Brewery - Everyone will recommend this to you, and they would be right to do so. Harpoon's Boston anchor location boasts tours on the hour that provide a fairly entertaining, if not somewhat superficial, glimpse into macro-brewing processes. To sweeten the deal, the $5.00 admission will get you a number of select beer samplings at the conclusion of the tour. I think this tour is vastly superior to the Sam Adams/Boston Beer Company tour insofar as the Harpoon people are slightly more personable and definitely offer a finer product. From Seaport, the Harpoon Brewery is quick walk down Seaport Blvd (where you already are.) Trust me, you don't want Whiskey Priest or Atlantic Beer Garden beers. Respect yourself! If you're feeling really ambitious, you can take the red line (south station) all the way down to Kendall and visit the CBC. Now THERE is a brewery!
    • Sportello/Drink - Another very popular venue in the neck of the woods (on congress st., to be precise. It is walking distance). Sportello is a wonderful open concept kitchen that will dish you out all sorts of wonderment -- a la carte or entree-style. If you're not peckish but instead wish to dissipate the senses tastefully, hoof it downstairs! You'll be met with a retinue of flair-heavy speakeasy-dress bar tenders that will make you a drink to your specifications. I was once told by someone that you can ask them to make a drink based off of an abstract concept, like "Make a Harry Truman-like drink". They will. If you're feeling particularly parsimonious, say "eff it" to class and cross the road -- there, you'll find the hidden gem "lucky's". It's a literal hole-in-the-wall, so keep your eyes peeled. Grab a bucket of ponys!
    • Boston Tea Party Museum - UGHHHH. I really wouldn't recommend this, but...it IS right there. I think admission is something like $20.00 (too much), but it is like...the most ostensibly Boston thing you can do. There are all sorts of outrageous exhibits and period actors. You also "get to throw tea into the ocean". Sigh. Maybe don't go here? Alright, go. But expect a sanitized, history-written-by-the-victor demonstration.
    • Gunther von Hagen's Body World's "Vital" - GO. Just go. You need to see this genius, plasticized human tissue. It's pricey, but you'll never forget it. It has just recently taken up residency in Boston, so the exhibits are very well taken care of. With luck, this installation will have some amount of permanence. If it is gone by April, I apologise for the irrelevance of this post. Also, this is located @ Faneuil Hall, which you can get to easily by either walking or taking the red line to Park, followed by the greenline to Gov't Center.
    • Isabella Stuart Gardner Museum - One of the most beautiful art galleries in Boston -- without question. Admission is somewhere around $18 and well worth it. There are some extremely beautiful JSS paintings in here, as well as delicate tapestries and many commissioned paintings of ISG herself. Go for the art, stay for the arboretum. This museum is a bit further out, demanding that you take the red line to park, transfer to the green line (D), and get off at fenway. The rest will be left to your smartphones to figure out. Hey -- why not check out Yawkey way while you're there? Also, perhaps check out Church if you're feeling enraptured by the muse of music. They have some KILLER dub nights.
    • Great Scott - Okay, just HEAR me out. So, you're going to be traveling a bit. Possibly 45 minutes. You'll be on the B line (again, from Park street @ red line) all the way to the Harvard Ave stop. But, if you've seen JoCo and Paul and Storm one too many times and you're looking for concert reprieve, you might find yourself wonderfully served by this venue. It is inexpensive (think $8 to $10 for any show), the drinks are stiff, and the people are convivial. Or, well, I think so. And hey, while you're at it, you're in Allston. Fuck it! Time to get drunk! Head out to Deep Ellum, Model Cafe, or Silhouettes for some delightful drinking.
    • The Esplanade - Another tough sell here, but I think this is a really deeply Boston experience. In April, it should still be a bit chilly, but the Esplanade extends several miles along the charles river. If you walk over here, or take the red line to charles MGH and start walking, you'll be heading along some of the most traveled and beloved areas of Boston's population. Runners, bikers, boaters, they are all there. Well, the boats maybe not so much until May. But, this is a great "walking tour" option. While youre on the esplanade, feel free to cross over any of the foot bridges that extend over Storrow Dr. and into Fenway, BU, Allston, and Harvard and MIT if you choose to cross the Charles. If you DO cross over, there is an entire WORLD of possibilities in Central and Harvard...but we'll leave that for another day.

That's all for now! Hopefully, someone finds this list helpful. I'm always available for any queries or to offer suggestions for lodging, food, drink, entertainment, etc. Enjoy, you crazy folk, you!

• Options
    boston_jasonboston_jason Registered User regular

Harpoon Brewery - Harpoon's Boston anchor location boasts tours on the hour that provide a fairly entertaining.

Isabella Stuart Gardner Museum - One of the most beautiful art galleries in Boston

Fellow Bostonian here:

I would argue that since the opening of the beer hall, the tour is "meh" at best. I would very much recommend still going, but perhaps skipping out on the tour. You no longer go down into the plant, you are merely on a catwalk. The beerhall + pretzels are a perfect way to unwind after a long week, however.

Isabella Stuart Gardner Museum - agreed. The cafe there is good for a light snack + beer before going in. I went with an alumni group and highly recommend getting a tour guide. I don't even like museums and this was one of the coolest buildings I have been in.

• Options
    deestardeestar [E]nforcer PAXEast Vermont Registered User regular
    For those interested in shopping there are also a variety of gaming stores in Boston (both tabletop/pen and pencil RPG and videogames) like Complete Entertainment Exchange(CEX), Pandemonium, and The Games People Play (Pandemonium is great). There is also the Harvard Museum Complex (full list of musuems here and the MIT Museum which is a great place for people interested in Science and Technology. Boston also has a ton of great bookstores like Ravens Used Books.
    I usually attend PAX to meet up with my other gamer friends from around the country but they all got wknd passes and well I didn't :'( ... so if anyone is interested in meeting up to go hangout around Boston together I am planning a meetup for those without Saturday passes. Just pm me if you're interested and we can start making plans for a meetup. I will post a thread about it a bit later since I am currently at work.

• Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    deestar wrote: »
    For those interested in shopping there are also a variety of gaming stores in Boston (both tabletop/pen and pencil RPG and videogames) like Complete Entertainment Exchange(CEX), Pandemonium, and The Games People Play (Pandemonium is great).
    Pandemonium was a PAX last year, so I can only assume that they will be at PAX again this year. Their staff is awesome, by the way. Great people.

Le_Goat on
    While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    ishtraishtra Long IslandRegistered User regular
    deestar wrote: »
    I am planning a meetup for those without Saturday passes.

that's a really awesome idea. I'll keep my eyes out for this as I have a few buddies who might be interested

Attendee: PAX East 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, Unplugged 2017
  • Options
    paxprivipaxprivi Registered User new member
    edited January 2014
    Wonderful places to eat:
    • Grill 23 (in Back Bay, near Copley); they have a 100-day dry aged ribeye. Still the best steak I've ever eaten in my life.
    • Wegamama
    • Back Bay Harrys
    • Cardullos Deli (in Cambridge, near Harvard Yard)
    • EDIT: YES!!!! Mike's Pastry. Holy. Crap. Yes. If you are GF, they have fantastic stuff as well. No need to go without!

Very Cool Places to see:
    • [Cambridge] Microsoft NERD Center
    • Harvard Yard (statue of John Harvard's feet)
    • Middle East bar/club

Many more... I work around there FYI.

paxprivi on
  • Options
    a fraking toastera fraking toaster W1TRK Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    uss cassin young will be open by then.its a huge battleship that was nearly sunken by the japanese at pearl harbor.you can go inside and see what it looks like.its awsome.

a fraking toaster on
  • Options
    deestardeestar [E]nforcer PAXEast Vermont Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    The USS Constitution is also very cool if you are into seeing history in action. It is the oldest active duty Naval ship in the US Navy. The crew and officers live, dress, and perform their duties just as sailors and officers would have done during the War of 1812. The tours are really excellent and it is very affordable.

deestar on
  • Options
    insan3binsan3b Registered User new member
    MurdokX wrote: »
    So excited for Pax!
    This video is a good summary for sights and attractions!
    http://youtu.be/JvUMV1N7eGM

how have i never seen this before?? that. was. great.

• Options
    aBByNormaLaBByNormaL Registered User regular
    mmmmm .... ok scary .... but they were drinking beer so yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy lol

PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!
  • Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    paxprivi wrote: »
    Wonderful places to eat:
    • Wegamama
    No, just say no to Wegamama.
    You want the best ramen in Boston?
    Yume Wo Katare, in Porter Square, Cambridge: http://www.yumewokatare.com/
    Don't want to wait an hour in line at Yume?
    Sapporo Ramen inside the Porter Exchange building, a block east of Porter Square
    Okay, I lied, Sapporo also has a line, but there are 4 other good Japanese ramen/udon/curry shops right next to it.

iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    RevGutterRevGutter Registered User regular
    No one mentioned Dick's Last Resort?

• Options
    revengeancefulrevengeanceful Registered User regular
    Why on earth would anyone mention that place, though? It's a chain restaurant that you can eat at in a number of different places. Boston has enough good places to eat that I wouldn't waste my time with something like Dick's.

• Options
    RevGutterRevGutter Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    They have 12 locations currently open nation wide, pretty good chance most people don't have one near by. The food is good and it's a pretty fun experience so why not stop by for a burger? Especially if you're already around Faneuil Hall. Kind of like telling someone visiting the west coast that they should stop by Jack in the box or In-N-Out.

Legal Seafood is also a chain with about 30 locations but it's not OK to suggest Dick's?

RevGutter on
  • Options
    revengeancefulrevengeanceful Registered User regular
    Presumably we're in this thread to talk about fun things to do in Boston while at PAX. I guess I can understand stopping by Dick's if you're interested in that sort of dining experience, since you're getting more than just food there. But, no, I wouldn't recommend Legal Seafood if I was recommending "things to do in Boston that are not PAX", since it's just a decent place to eat, I wouldn't say it's a must-do.

• Options
    animeman75animeman75 Massachusetts Registered User regular
    In Boston we are very passionate about our sports. I know the Celtics are playing that Friday, but im not sure about Saturday. Maybe the Red Sox? We also have very tasty food, there are good sea food places all over as well as Italian restaurants which are divine. A nice long walk throughout the town may be good, see all over. The Skywalk seems to be a huge tourist attraction. You go really high and see all of boston from one room while learning about its history. I would look that up.

Ignorance is arrogance as time is but a dime and i don't know where im going with this.
  • Options
    DolarrahDolarrah New JerseyRegistered User regular
    Red Sox are out of town. But my question is why would anyone want to do anything not PAX related.. HEATHENS.... INFADELS......

• Options
    rascrushrascrush Registered User regular
    unfortunatly the sox are out of town playing the yanks. I myself will be at the celtics game on friday though. I know the bruins play on saturday as well I believe.

• Options
    bschorybschory Cambridge, MARegistered User regular
    Some great places for food/drinks (many of these are seconding other people, because they are oh so right)
    • Publick House (Washington Square, Brookline, Green Line "C" train): Probably my favorite place in the greater Boston area. Amazing food. I particularly like their stews. Even more amazing beer selection. It can be hard to get it in to in the evening, so maybe plan for a mid-afternoon thing and stay for dinner.
    • Porter Exchange (Porter Square, Cambridge, Red Line): If you're out in Cambridge anyway, head out here and just go to one of the restaurants. So many tasty things.
    • Chacarero (Downtown Crossing, Boston, Red and Orange Lines): This is more of a lunch destination than anything. If it's nice I recommend getting one of their delicious sandwiches and finding a park to eat in. I recommend the Combo and then let them do their thing. (Here's the menu, which explains everything http://www.chacarero.com/menu.php)
    • Meadhall (Kendall Square, Cambridge, Red Line): Big draft beer selection. They even have a decently sized Mead selection compared to most places. The food is good, but the service can be slow. I consider it more of a place to grab drinks and appetizers.
    • Cambridge Brewing Company (Kendall Square, Cambridge, Red Line): Good food. Good service. Great local beer.
    • Sunset Grill and Tap (Harvard Ave, Allston, Green Line "B" Train): Good pub food, amazing beer selection. Can be difficult to get in to during the evening rush.

If you like wandering a bit off the beat path, consider heading to Union Square in Somerville. To get there by T requires you to take the Red Line to Central or Harvard, and then a bus to Union (91 from central, at least the 86 from Harvard). Once you get there, check out the Independent, Precinct, Union Square Donuts, and Hub Comics.

General areas (that I go to frequently) and their feel:

Downtown (Government Center, Park Street, Downtown crossing... that general area) and Harvard Square are more touristy areas but definitely have cool stuff to do. The local gems can be hidden a bit among the chains, but if you find them they're awesome.

The North End is... just go wander around and eat some Italian food. Go anywhere for dinner. They're all good. Just make sure to go to Mike's for a treat at the end of the night.

Boylston and Newbury Streets near the Pru tend to be a bit upscale as far as shopping goes. There are some fun bars and really nice restaurants if you're in to it.

Allston is mostly where the younger college kids/recently post college kids go to drink. (I'm apparently old now) You can sort of bar hop through the entire Boston college-drinking scene there. On the one end of the spectrum you can stumble upon house parties if you're willing to wander. If you're in to the "college bar" thing there's quite a few. Tavern on the Square is ridiculously crowded these days. You might also want to wander toward BU and hit T's Pub too if you're in to college bars. I saw someone else mention Great Scott, Deep Ellum, the Model, and the Sihlouette. These are a bit more my speed. (I spent a couple years about 5 years ago going to the Shilouette specifically.) They're also dive bars, so be prepared for that.

Davis Square and Union Square in Somerville are overall very relaxed places to hang out, with some solid, and even trendy, bars and restaurants. Seems to be where a bunch of my friends tend to hang out these days (late-20s to mid-30s, nerdy, relaxed types). Also check out Redbones, if the line is short, for some pretty solid barbecue.

Central Square can be tricky. I live near there, and I have a great time, but it can be a bit sketchy. (You get used to ignoring and avoiding anyone on the street who seems a bit... off... for one reason or another.)

However, if you want to go to a random DJ dance night or see a band, check out the Middle East's block (Middle East Upstairs/Corner/Downstairs, Zuzu, and TT the Bear's Place). Continuing on that theme, further down Mass Ave towards MIT is Middlesex (for anyone in love with ear shattering electronica, or who, like me, have friends who like ear shattering electronica.) I can't personally recommend Middlesex, but I know people who love it.

On the other hand, Central also has chill bars like The Field (cash only, but awesome if the patio is open, and a great Guinness pour) and Miracle of Science. There's even a speakeasy in the square these days, and it can be pretty fun.

• Options
    SomeJerkFromBostonSomeJerkFromBoston SomeJerkFromBoston BostonRegistered User new member
    Just about everything seems to have been covered, so I'll try to help out with some advice about the trains. The convention center is near the World Trade Center stop on the Silver Line (it's basically a bus that goes underground). Take this to South Station. This is the Red Line, your hub to the world.

Commons and Theater District - Get off at Park Street (2 stops). This one of the stops for the Boston Common. Cross the street and follow the cobblestone path to find a lot of shops. Cross the Common and you'll find the Public Garden. Cross that, or follow Boylston St, and you'll find Newbury St. (it's parallel to Boylston after the Public Garden). Head north on Tremont (away from the theaters) and you'll hit Government Center (will be closed by the time PAX starts). On the other side, down the long brick staircase, is Faneuil Hall. Through there is the waterfront and the Aquarium.

Downtown Boston - At Park Street, switch to the Green Line (go upstairs), and make sure you're on the Outbound side (the trains are lettered B, C, D, and E). Take any train to Coply. This is further down Boylston and you'll find the Boston Public Library and Coply Square. Head down Boylston towards the tallest building you see. That's the Prudential Center. Wander the mall, or go to the top (I think it's like $12 to get into the Sky Walk though). Get on any train but the E, and head to Hynes Convention Center. This station is at the corner of Mass Ave and Newbury St. Pick a direction, you'll be happy.

Cambridge - From South Station, get on the Red Line headed towards Alewife. After 6 stops, get off at Harvard Square. There's too many things to even list here. There's more places to go in Cambridge, but this was never my stomping ground. Hopefully more people can add to this.

Brookline/Allston - Switch to the Green Line at Park Street. Take the C train. There's plenty of places along Beacon Street to check out, but there's only 2 that I think everyone should see. Get off at Coolidge Corner and catch a movie at the Coolidge Corner Theater (you can't miss it). The theater is on Harvard Ave, and if you keep heading up you'll cross Comm Ave and Brookline Ave, where you'll find a lot of bars and little hole in the wall music venues (alternately, you could take the B line and get off at Comm Ave, but why would you miss the theater?). Stay on the C line to the very end (Cleveland Circle), and next to the hardware store is Eagle's Deli. Greatest burger I ever had. It's one of the places Man vs. Food went to, and yes, I've seen several people try to take the Eagle's Challenge.

Hope that's helpful. There's tons more, but I'm only one guy, I can't know everything.

"I like me."
  • Options
    kube00kube00 SE WA StateRegistered User regular
    Thanks for adding to my list guys! Keep the stuff coming

1st PAX was Prime 2010. Made it to several more Primes/West. Been to East and South. Headed back to West in 2019 for my 12th PAX.

Twitter:kube00
  • Options
    DearMisterKidnapperDearMisterKidnapper Boston, MARegistered User regular
    -You have the Science Museum, the Aquarium, Museum of Fine Arts.
    -If you like bars, Faneuil Hall has a lot of bars and shopping. Also has Body Worlds Vital (which is a much see exhibit).
    -Fire and Ice is a great restaurant that is a different experience and has a little bit of everything.
    -Mike's Pastry is the Carlos Bakery of the North End (yum cannolis).
    -If you like seafood (we have the best), but we also have a Legal Seafood Test Kitchen right outside the aquarium.
    -If it is warm enough out, there are duck tours everywhere, walks in the Boston Common, which has swam boats and amazing scenery.
    -If you have extra money, stop by and see the Blue Man Group in the theater district. You won't regret it.

Feel free to ask me about anything if you have different interests. I imagine I could help find something you would be interested it.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Can't forget the South End too, great restaurants and good to walk.

• Options
    punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    Body Worlds ends the weekend before pax. I looked at doing for the MMT, but no go.
    If you want to see a show, Blue Man Group is great and Book of Mormon is in Boston in April.

HI3789R.png
  • Options
    bandersneebandersnee Registered User regular
    It also depends on what you really like to do, and how much you want to spend. I feel the need to definitely give the thumbs up to the museums listed above, but they can run up to $20-$30 a person. If you're into spending a bit, take a ferry out to George's Island. It's an old Civil War - WW2 fort. Much of the original structure remains, but bring a flashlight to explore the unlit areas (of which there are many 100% blackout areas). The parks services officers are really awesome about letting you crawl around and explore, but just remember, if you bring in trash, you pack it out too. Also DO NOT MISS THE LAST FERRY OUT! I mean, it's an island in the middle of the harbor. You cannot swim home.

http://www.bostonharborislands.org/georges

It sounds corny, but check out Sacco's Bowl Haven in Davis Square. It has candlepin bowling (which is different from the "normal" 10 pin bowling). The alley is small, but it's partnered with the most incredible flatbread pizza company. The place has an awesome feel and its a great experience with friends. Probably not the greatest solo experience.

• Options
    apparentlymaryleeapparentlymarylee Jersey City, NJRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Edit: Suggested Harpoon before reading all the posts..

apparentlymarylee on
  • Options
    bandersnee wrote: »
    If you're into spending a bit, take a ferry out to George's Island. It's an old Civil War - WW2 fort. Much of the original structure remains, but bring a flashlight to explore the unlit areas (of which there are many 100% blackout areas). The parks services officers are really awesome about letting you crawl around and explore, but just remember, if you bring in trash, you pack it out too. Also DO NOT MISS THE LAST FERRY OUT! I mean, it's an island in the middle of the harbor. You cannot swim home.

http://www.bostonharborislands.org/georges

That sounds really cool, but it says the ferries don't start until may...

HI3789R.png
  • Options
    knightmovesknightmoves Knight Moves Cafe BostonRegistered User new member
    edited March 2014
    Stop by the Knight Moves board game cafe! We're super friendly and super fun. We're located in Brookline, right off the Summit Ave stop on the Green Line. We'll also be at PAX in the tabletop area with Eureka Games, come say hi!

zerzhul on
  • Options
    ElzemereElzemere BostonRegistered User regular
    For those of us with a saucier side, there are two geek themed burlesque shows at The Davis Square Theater/ the weekend of PAX.
    • Friday, April 11th @ 10pm: Tim Schafer-lesque - A Burlesque Tribute to works of Tim Schafer and Double Fine Productions
    • Saturday, April 12th @ 8pm: The Dirty Nerdy Revue (last years show was awesome)
    Tickets are $15 for each show and available through the website. 21+ only. Details on performers are also on the website.

Note this is NOT the Somerville Theater in Davis Square, which you'll see first upon exiting the red line station.

• Options
    apparentlymaryleeapparentlymarylee Jersey City, NJRegistered User regular
    What about dive bars? I went to Bukowski's last time I was in Boston and enjoyed it. Also, who's got the best tacos and brunch? The boyfriend and I will be there from wed afternoon til monday afternoon and so far have only planned to 1) hit the game night at the westin Thursday night and Harpoon before that.

• Options
    ElzemereElzemere BostonRegistered User regular
    What about dive bars? I went to Bukowski's last time I was in Boston and enjoyed it. Also, who's got the best tacos and brunch? The boyfriend and I will be there from wed afternoon til monday afternoon and so far have only planned to 1) hit the game night at the westin Thursday night and Harpoon before that.

If you're looking for food based recommendations, I suggest trying the
    The Restaurant/Dining Thread.
    Personally I recommend staying out of all bars in boston proper on the weekend. Thursdays are cool though.

• Options
    The_MadHatter_The_MadHatter_ Registered User regular
    punzie wrote: »
    Body Worlds ends the weekend before pax. I looked at doing for the MMT, but no go.

Are you sure? The website lets you buy tickets up to April 27th.

PSN ID, Steam: The_MadHatter_
  • Options
    punzie wrote: »

Are you sure? The website lets you buy tickets up to April 27th.

Well hot diggity. Maybe they extended it. I definitely looked a few weeks ago and was all "oh, so close!"

HI3789R.png
  • Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Sadly, those visiting Boston this year will miss out on the opening of LegoLand in Somerville by a month. But luckily there is always PAX 2015!!!!

@apparentlymarylee Dive bars are a plenty in this fine city. One that I recommend is my personal watering hole: The Tam (our PAX tradition is to stop there at 8am on Friday to start PAX with a nice drink). Cheep drinks, good people, no food. It's located near the commons at 222 Tremont St. Not too far from South Station is Biddy Early's, which is also cheap drinks, good people, but they have food. If you are in Faneuil Hall, there is the Hideout (downstairs part of Durgin Park), which has good food, amazing beers, and decent people. There are dive bars everywhere and everyone has their own opinion of each.

Le_Goat on
    While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    DolarrahDolarrah New JerseyRegistered User regular
    Maybe its just me, but this whole post seems like going to New Orleans during Marti Gra and saying is there anything to do besides get drunk and trade beads ?

But seriously, if you are looking for cheap bars/dives I highly recommend you go to the area of the Boston Garden. Sullivans is/was the blue collar bar of Boston, and if you don't like that one, there are 7 or 8 others with in one block, including the Boston Brew Works which serves only homemade beers only, you will find no brand names there, just thier own brews which you can not get anywhere else. My friend from Texas says its one of the best IPAs he ever had. I hate IPAs so I can not vouch for it, but the ales are very good.

• Options
    kube00kube00 SE WA StateRegistered User regular
    Ive decided to go on one of the Boston Brewery Tours Friday night. Should be fun

1st PAX was Prime 2010. Made it to several more Primes/West. Been to East and South. Headed back to West in 2019 for my 12th PAX.

Twitter:kube00