As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Fall of [Chat]

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Not a fan of Gildan shirts. Qwertee have started using them, and they're nowhere near long enough.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    The DNS graffiti is cute but pretty ineffectual

I don't know how technologically versed the average Turk is but I doubt the average person even in SK or Japan would figure out what to do with that information

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    But the average Turk knows That One Kid that can fix it for them.

• Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    Ah, Saga; you deserve to be on top of the heap and earn your right to stay there.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    It really wouldn't be me if I didn't manage to find the 3 email way to create some light drama.

I really need to somehow reprogram myself not to dwell on these mis-steps though, they always happen, they're never as bad my brain cooks them up to be, but emotionally it seems I just can't handle it.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I am really happy that Captain America is getting good reviews. I sometimes feel like the Marvel movies have been either just not good outright, or good but somewhat safe and predictable, and it's nice to see that the newest round of movies seem to be more ambitious.

• Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    Haphazard wrote: »
    Anyway, I hope the new Cap is good.

From what I've been hearing I guess it is amazing and most critics are saying it's a good amalgam of super-hero/spy thriller.

Also, morning [chat]. I'm super fucking sore from class last night as it was just me and three black belts. After doing the math in my head I would have done over 300 cuts by the time class was over. No wonder my shoulders hate me right now.

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    But when will they make a good movie about a Canadian superhero?

We want Northstar to have his movie, damn it!

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Wolverine has been in like six movies already.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »

Yeah, but only two of them were about him and, as much as i enjoyed them, they weren't very good.

• Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    Gonmun wrote: »

From what I've been hearing I guess it is amazing and most critics are saying it's a good amalgam of super-hero/spy thriller.

Also, morning [chat]. I'm super fucking sore from class last night as it was just me and three black belts. After doing the math in my head I would have done over 300 cuts by the time class was over. No wonder my shoulders hate me right now.

took me a minute to realize this was referring to a martial arts class

i think i need to sleep or something

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    everyone in work is talking about the best concerts they've been to

totally not saying a word in this

• Options
    Tav wrote: »

Why?
    You know, I heard a long haired black metal fan once mutter "Britney Spears" when we had a similar discussion. :P

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

There's no shame in it being Celine Dion.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options

Why?
    You know, I heard a long haired black metal fan once mutter "Britney Spears" when we had a similar discussion. :P

A lot of the bands I've seen who put on amazing shows aren't really SFW and would just make me look kinda weird in this setting.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Today I went into a 1,000 year old mine and at the bottom found the fetus that dreams the universe and the incessant thump of a giant heart.

I am not even joking.
    D36AB8B4-5C87-4CE8-BE8C-F028B3F0FFC7_zpszhknxyah.jpg~original

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »

he specified good movies

and also, like all things that are good and Canadian he has been assimilated by the US

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure my top three shows I've seen would be Converge, Swans and a tie between NIN/Gojira/Wu Tang Clan.

• Options
    James wrote: »

Sorry for the confusion there James. Yeah, I'm doing Haidong Gumdo, it's a Korean version of kendo where instead of focusing on one opponent in a one on one situation it's more based on multiple opponents.

~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
  • Options
    does wolverine even realize that he is canadian in any of the films?

he is kind of the anti-canadian

• Options
    I'm seeing La Dispute in two months and I don't think I've ever been excited for a gig that far in advance. It is going to be incredible.

• Options
    I'm pretty sure my top three shows I've seen would be Converge, Swans and a tie between NIN/Gojira/Wu Tang Clan.

Then just say "the guy who did the music for Social Network had a pretty sweet show"...

• Options

Sorry for the confusion there James. Yeah, I'm doing Haidong Gumdo, it's a Korean version of kendo where instead of focusing on one opponent in a one on one situation it's more based on multiple opponents.

Never heard of that before so I looked it up. Looks like it takes notes from kenjutsu, not kendo. Kendo is very much a sport.

• Options
    kenjutsu isn't even remotely a unified discipline and never has been

there are hundreds of different schools

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    I really wish that the fighting schools of Europe had survived the 18th century

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

That's pretty much Wolverine.

I guess some people are angry that Jackman plays Wolverine because he's pretty tall.

Like wow of all the things to knitpick. He is the perfect wolverine casting.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Elldren wrote: »

There are people out there doing good work using historical manuscripts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1S_Q3CGqZmg

• Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSjTpcSxgjQ&feature=kp

I remember once their dad came in said, “You think this is bad?
    You don’t know the half.” And he laughed.

How he sort of smiled like it’s only a joke but he was lying
    There was something else inside of his eyes
    All those secrets people tell to little children
    Are warnings that they give them
    Like, “Look, I’m unhappy. Please don’t make the same mistake as me.”

• Options
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Never heard of that before so I looked it up. Looks like it takes notes from kenjutsu, not kendo. Kendo is very much a sport.

Mis-wording on my part, I was using it more as a way to reference as I figured that James would be more familiar with kendo than kenjutsu.

Haidong Gumdo is relatively new though from what I've seen and has a bit of controversy behind it based on it's origins. The dojang that I'm with seems to be affiliated with the more respectable side of it thankfully and my instructor is a really good teacher. He came over from Korea this past year and the Grand Master has been involved in Gumdo since it's inception and has a really huge background in Tae Kwon Doe here in Canada. My instructor seems really knowledgable overall with it and knows just the right amount to push me each class to do better but keep it being positive. I'm really glad I looked into it as I've been wanting to find something that would help me start getting fit again that I could stay interested in as I find going to the gym doesn't hold my interest as I don't really have someone to go with. :( My flexibility alone has improved immensely in 2 months (though still a work in progress) and I've lost close to 15 pounds since I started.

• Options
    edited March 2014

On a similar note though, I wish Japanese fighting schools hadn't been gutted by years of bureaucrats and peace and reformations to make them "appropriate" for the modern day.

It may have been better if they were lost and rediscovered.

Inquisitor on
  • Options

There are people out there doing good work using historical manuscripts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1S_Q3CGqZmg

I know but that isn't the same thing at all from a historiographical perspective

a revival basically only has the same historical documents to work with

whereas a continuous practical tradition can be treated as a source in its own right, and tends to produce numerous internal primary sources that can be useful

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    there were a series of separate revivals in the mid-late 19th century spurred on by nationalist sentiment

those are interesting

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options

On a similar note though, I wish Japanese fighting schools hadn't been gutted by years of bureaucrats and peace and reformations to make them "appropriate" for the modern day.

but those same processes are what preserved them

whereas in Europe the schools of individual combat died out as the use of their weapons as battlefield weapons died out (broadly speaking, nobody ever actually used smallswords in formation fighting)

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    so its a friday. I'm actually kind of exhausted.

• Options
    I forgot the letter I was supposed to post. Humbug.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    oh good my tire is flat

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

That's pretty much Wolverine.

I guess some people are angry that Jackman plays Wolverine because he's pretty tall.

Like wow of all the things to knitpick. He is the perfect wolverine casting.

Counterpoint: Nerds, man

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

You know lamb of god? Before they were all commercial and mainstream and shit they were called "burn the priest" and they rocked the hell out of a small, shitty club to a crowd of 13 people, of which I was one.

that was a pretty good concert.

Metallica, despite not remaining all that great creatively over the years, can still melt faces live; I saw them around the time Reload came out, and it was great.

Those are a couple of my faves.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Variable wrote: »
    oh good my tire is flat

retire

• Options

but those same processes are what preserved them

whereas in Europe the schools of individual combat died out as the use of their weapons as battlefield weapons died out (broadly speaking, nobody ever actually used smallswords in formation fighting)

It's also transformed them into things that are useless from a real combat perspective and divorced from their historical roots, like kendo.

This discussion has been closed.