As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Fall of [Chat]

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Boring waiting room is boring.

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    I think turning fighting styles into games is a good thing.

I might be biased, though.

GAMES!!

• GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    Hey @Elldren, if you don't mind me asking, are you big into combat arts and such? If so can you suggest anything if I wanted to start reading more about them? I've always found them interesting, hence why I started my class, but would love to learn more if you had any suggestions.

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Resting with my backpack on my lap.
    My water bottle was loosely screwed on and was apparently leaking until it found an opening in the zipper wherein it soaked my lap. Good morning

• Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Boring waiting room is boring.

that's why they call it the boring room.

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Elldren wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I really wish that the fighting schools of Europe had survived the 18th century

On a similar note though, I wish Japanese fighting schools hadn't been gutted by years of bureaucrats and peace and reformations to make them "appropriate" for the modern day.

It may have been better if they were lost and rediscovered.

but those same processes are what preserved them

whereas in Europe the schools of individual combat died out as the use of their weapons as battlefield weapons died out (broadly speaking, nobody ever actually used smallswords in formation fighting)

It's also transformed them into things that are useless from a real combat perspective and divorced from their historical roots, like kendo.

yeah but they still have records and shit

fuck gendered marketing
    Gonmun wrote: »
    Hey @Elldren, if you don't mind me asking, are you big into combat arts and such? If so can you suggest anything if I wanted to start reading more about them? I've always found them interesting, hence why I started my class, but would love to learn more if you had any suggestions.

Not particularly. I don't really have anything in the way of recommended reading, sorry.

fuck gendered marketing
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    I haven't been able to really keep fencing this semester after all.

But no biggie there is always next semester.

Also next semester I will sign up for dance classes in time.

ftOqU21.png
    my only slight worry about that will be that people might think I am doing it to get gerls

not that it bothers me a lot, mind

ftOqU21.png
    Gonmun wrote: »

Not particularly. I don't really have anything in the way of recommended reading, sorry.

NP :)

You just seemed to have a bit of knowledge so figured I would pick your brain. I'll see about searching some more this weekend I think, see if there are any books that would be a good read.

~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jus7S5vBJyU

that was more entertaining than I expected it to be.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Now in the airport.

Enjyoing a bad sandwich and an expensive beer

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    cGB1SN8.jpg
    holy fucking hell

ftOqU21.png
    muchaesque

fuck gendered marketing
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    everyone in work is talking about the best concerts they've been to

totally not saying a word in this

You know lamb of god? Before they were all commercial and mainstream and shit they were called "burn the priest" and they rocked the hell out of a small, shitty club to a crowd of 13 people, of which I was one.

that was a pretty good concert.

Metallica, despite not remaining all that great creatively over the years, can still melt faces live; I saw them around the time Reload came out, and it was great.

Those are a couple of my faves.

Smaller shows are always better, imo. I am bored witless by stadium gigs because I think a feeling of intimacy is important in shows. My two favourite venues only hold 150 and 400 respectively, and they always have amazing atmospheres.

Metallica were my first ever concert, so I might be a bit rose-tinted about them, but they are great live. Excellent setlist, they know how to work a crowd, their stage setup is great and they normally bring along excellent support (When I saw them they had Tenacious D, the year after when I missed them it was Mastodon & Alice In Chains).

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Apparently my flight is boarding an hour before take off. This is clearly code for "your plane is two kilometres from the terminal building and the troop will involve buses, lifts, trains and walking down long corridors that all look the same"

The rasta chap buffing the floor is a very passionate singer

Mojo_Jojo on
    Hulen is great for intimate concerts

been a lot of concerts now that have had disappointing numbers but that's more or less intentional - safe bookings runs counter to the raison d'etre of the place

but tonight Turbonegro is playing and it got sold out ages ago

this is one of the most fun things about Hulen, all the bands for whom it is a special place. 350 people is an appallingly small stage for Turbonegro but still here they are.

ftOqU21.png
    C7Ue3OW.jpg

ftOqU21.png
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    I definitely looked like I pissed myself walking through Times Square, but it magically dried before I got to the office.
    Gon get me a waffle and continue to give no fucks

I cannot wait to get into the gym this afternoon.

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    B15 Bus Rider Fatally Shot When 14-Year-Old Fires 'Wildly'

this happened near me

Vanguard wrote: »
    B15 Bus Rider Fatally Shot When 14-Year-Old Fires 'Wildly'

this happened near me

Damn, sorry to hear Van.

• DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    My water bottle was loosely screwed on and was apparently leaking until it found an opening in the zipper wherein it soaked my lap. Good morning
    whatever. you totally peed yourself.

Dynagrip wrote: »
    whatever. you totally peed yourself.

And that's not even water in that bottle!

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    muchaesque

They had a mucha exhibit at my local museum last month, I went, it was rad!

And now I have a little poster card of Medee in my room.

Let's lighten the mood with a happier gothamist article
    Photos: Brooklyn Woman Spends Her Half-Marathon Taking Selfies With "Hot Guys"

31914selfies.jpeg

shine on, you crazy diamond

runner-m.jpg

Hey Girl

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    oh my god

people are discussing the sexist gender-based stat limits in AD&D and justifying them

eat-popcorn-3D.gif

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    oh my god

people are discussing the sexist gender-based stat limits in AD&D and justifying them

eat-popcorn-3D.gif
    Reminds me of the guy who wants to make a game where there are no women in combat. It is supposed to be a fantasy game with elves and dwarfs.

oh my god

eat-popcorn-3D.gif
    -2 str (girls are weaker than boys)
    +2 cha (girls are hot)

Couscous wrote: »
    oh my god

eat-popcorn-3D.gif
    Reminds me of the guy who wants to make a game where there are no women in combat. It is supposed to be a fantasy game with elves and dwarfs.

ugh

basically, if you ever want to be amused and enraged, go to the rpg site

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Guys Infamous Second Son is amazing looking

I need a PS4 now

022814subway.jpg

THIS IS WHAT GENTRIFICATION LOOKS LIKE

@Irond Will

Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    oh my god

eat-popcorn-3D.gif
    -2 str (girls are weaker than boys)
    +2 cha (girls are hot)

there are people literally making these arguments in the thread

where women get bonuses for all charisma based checks when dealing with men that scale as the ratio of men:women increases

I am restless.

oh my god

Cant you just roll your weird dice and play make believe without that rule?

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    022814subway.jpg

THIS IS WHAT GENTRIFICATION LOOKS LIKE

@Irond Will
    I briefly glanced at this picture and said "that looks like the L train"

Then I saw the LCD sign and my opinion was confirmed.

Fukkin Billy Burg.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/2014/02/19/i-had-to-laugh/
    We could, of course, throw out historical verisimilitude. But we’re not going to. Because we value that verisimilitude far more than we value the opinion of a few whiny women who don’t play the sort of games we make anyhow.
    I am the lead designer of First Sword, a combat management game. The game has orcs and men, elves and dwarves. It has goblins and trolls. But it has no women.
    Guys, historical verisimilitude!

This discussion has been closed.