As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Learn On] Play by post DnD 3.5 intro game

• Options
    gredavingredavin Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I could run a game. What setting are we looking at? Generic? FR?

gredavin on
  • Options
    SilasSilas Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Cool! I'm not picky about the setting. Generic dungeoning is cool by me. Really whatever the DM likes.

Silas on
    Ancient+J.png
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Very well, I'll run a Forgotten Realms quick game. (Although, seeing as I want to run it Play by Post, quick is a relative term.)

I'll take four players who MUST be willing to post at least once per day.

So, for interested n00b players, will I need to draw up the characters and you choose one you like and then explain the mechanics?

gredavin on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Okay, I have never seen a DnD book for longer than it takes to flick through one in a bookstore, but I do understand the concept of playing a role - I freeform RP in a couple of places online - but I would like to get to know DnD better, if only so as I can understand a few more of the references people throw about 'round here...

Is there still room and/or can I put my name down for the next one (if there is a next one)?

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Mr. Rose,

Yes, you are #1 enlisted. Are you wanting me to write up a character for you?

gredavin on
  • Options
    jaardsijaardsi Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Sign me up for second one, don't really care what character I am.

jaardsi on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Sign me up as well. I'll roll my own character once we get things set up at rpol.net

Silas on
    Ancient+J.png
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    gredavin wrote:
    Very well, I'll run a Forgotten Realms quick game. (Although, seeing as I want to run it Play by Post, quick is a relative term.)

I'll take four players who MUST be willing to post at least once per day.

So, for interested n00b players, will I need to draw up the characters and you choose one you like and then explain the mechanics?
    How does forgotten realms differ from D&D 3.5. Either way I'd like to join your game, although I've never played the game before so I'll need you to walk me through the begining.

Leitner on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Alright, I'm full.

Players are:

Silas
    Jaardsi
    SC
    Mr. Rose.

Your choice of PC's are:

Ranger
    Cleric
    Rogue
    Wizard

Make your choice. If you wish to build your own PC, let me know which one. It will be 32 point buy for stats. In all honesty, I would prefer to make all the characters myself so that I can balance every one out and make things even.

If you really want to, I can let you make your own.

Forgotten Realms is just a setting in D&D 3.5. It's the world that Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights is set in. Give me an hour to come up with starting location/story.

EDIT: Silas, this game is for n00bs looking to get into D&D. Are you fairly new to the game, or would you be willing to let another person who is eager to learn take your place?

gredavin on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    gredavin wrote:
    Your choice of PC's are:

Ranger
    Cleric
    Rogue
    Wizard
    What type of characters are Clerics? Warrior monks right. Also why the lack of a fighter?

Leitner on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    gredavin wrote:
    EDIT: Silas, this game is for n00bs looking to get into D&D. Are you fairly new to the game, or would you be willing to let another person who is eager to learn take your place?

I played in a 3rd edition game that ran for about two years. I have never played under the 3.5 rules, and I haven't played any D&D in the last three years. I'm pretty rusty. I have no problem with you rolling up a character for me, and I will yield my seat to someone else if there's a D&D virgin that wants to see what it's all about. No problem. Just keep me posted.

Silas on
    Ancient+J.png
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Clerics are divine spellcasters that gain spells from a deity. There is no fighter because the adventure I have in mind needs a ranger, which can also server as a moderate fighter. Clerics are also decent in combat because they can wear heavy armour. (Wizards, who cast arcane spells, cannot.)

Silas: Rogue
    SC: Cleric
    Mr. Rose: Ranger
    jaardsi: Wizard

gredavin on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    I'll be the Cleric then.

Leitner on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    If I'm in, I'll play the rogue.

Silas on
    Ancient+J.png
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    OK, I'll take the Ranger then.

Are we over in RPol or somewhere else? And yes, I think I might need some help setting up a character.

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Yes, I am currently waiting for Yahoo mail to work so I can get my registration with RPOL finished.

I will set up a game before the end of the day.

gredavin on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Wizard, all right.

Thanks for the effort to spell my name. :)

jaardsi on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Is it possible to join a game as a watcher? If these take weeks/months to do, it'd be cool to learn things from more than one at a time.

Scooter on
  • Options
    CzechCzech Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Scooter wrote:
    Is it possible to join a game as a watcher? If these take weeks/months to do, it'd be cool to learn things from more than one at a time.
    Good question. I might be interested in doing the same, seeing as the games seem to be filling up very quickly.

Czech on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Here is the game link folks, and yes I am fine with watchers. Even ask questions in the OOC thread!

http://rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=19927&gn=The+Cherry:+Lambs+to+the+Slaughter&date=1159298324

Also, for my players, what race would you like to play? Your choices are:

Human - Bonus skill points and a bonus feat (a feat is a special ability or bonus)

Dwarf - Good Constitution (ie, good poison, disease resistance.), Darkvision, natural affinity with stonework.

Elf - Agile and alert, have natural affinity with bows and blades, good nightvision.

Half Elf - share the alertness of their elven parent and the diversity of the human.

Gnome - Magical people who create powerful illusions (if they are mages ;)) I hate gnomes, so I can't remember what else ;)

Halfling - Small agile beings who have a natural bent to thievery. Not very strong, but are keen with slings and thrown weapons. Also, sneaky.

Half Orc - Strong and dull. Can see in the dark.

Also, please let me know your log in id's at RPol.net so I can add you to the roster of players and lurkers.

gredavin on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Human.

I can't reply to any of the threads? do you have to invite us and if you do how can I PM you?

Edit: I'm retarded, pm sent.

Leitner on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    I need your rpol.net ID's to add you.

gredavin on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Human, Elf or in the between. I'll update this reply when I decide.

Request sent.

jaardsi on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    I just sent you an access request (my UID is Mr_Rose (original, huh?)).

As for class/race, I'm trying to decide between Elf and Half elf for my Ranger. Which would be more likely to have a chaotic [good or neutral] alignment?

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Mr_Rose wrote:

As for class/race, I'm trying to decide between Elf and Half elf for my Ranger. Which would be more likely to have a chaotic [good or neutral] alignment?

Well, you basically have the choice between being a dirty elf, or being a dirty crossbreed. I'd go half-elf, as at least you would be almost human. :lol:

Alignment is a really silly mechanic, design your character first, then choose the alignment that best fits them. If you've already decided you want to be chaotic, go for it.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    gredavin wrote:
    I need your rpol.net ID's to add you.
    I sent it to you, it's the same as here.

Leitner on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Mr_Rose wrote:
    Well, you basically have the choice between being a dirty elf, or being a dirty crossbreed. I'd go half-elf, as at least you would be almost human. :lol:
    Alignment is a really silly mechanic, design your character first, then choose the alignment that best fits them. If you've already decided you want to be chaotic, go for it.
    I dunno from "want" - chaotic is easier for me to play, I think...
    But yeah, decide race now alignment later or never...
    In which case, I'll go half-elf, unless theres some show-stopper about being a H-E ranger that I don't know about.

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Thought I'd drop this link here, the free rules from WotC:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/srd35

There's a lot there but I figure psionics, epics and divine stuff isn't gonna be big in these games. They deliberately don't include steps for character creation or deity descriptions, but I did find a lot of deity info on Wikipedia.

Scooter on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Mr_Rose wrote:
    Mr_Rose wrote:
    I dunno from "want" - chaotic is easier for me to play, I think...
    But yeah, decide race now alignment later or never...
    In which case, I'll go half-elf, unless theres some show-stopper about being a H-E ranger that I don't know about.

Well, Elves get an additional point of Dexterity. But you have to play as an elf to get it, so its not really worth it in my eyes.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Sent my request.

Silas on
    Ancient+J.png
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Can someone tell me how to set up RPOL? I cannot for the life of me figure out how to add players!

gredavin on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    I think you do it from the player's access request PM. Should be an option in there.

Silas on
    Ancient+J.png
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    It took me like 10 minutes the other day to figure out "Reply to message" was in really small text down at the bottom of the screen.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Found it in the GM FAQ.
    Someone's asked for access, how do I add them?
    If you're reading their access request use the 'Add this user' link, otherwise go into the admin menu select 'Edit Players and their Characters' and then 'Add User'.

Silas on
    Ancient+J.png
  • Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Hi,

Is the second game full now? (Damn my lateness, just got back from a work trip!)

Haven't played D&D for about 15 years (since I was in high school) which was under a 2nd edition ruleset. Never done an online or by post roleplay session before.

Thanks!

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Horseshoe,

Sorry mate, my game is full, but you are welcome to follow along on the misadventures. PM Request to join our game, the link is on page 2.

gredavin on
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Rather late, but the Of Dice and Men intro game started yesterday.

T Bandits:

[spoiler:4e1352f037]We're in ur base, killin ur dudes.[/spoiler:4e1352f037]

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FierceDeity666FierceDeity666 Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    i want to do this, but it appears you're filled.

FierceDeity666 on
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    i want to do this, but it appears you're filled.

I more or less bumped this for the benefit of Geon, whoever he is, anyway. It's been a week since his last logged on to our game.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Baron,

Drop him, don't make others wait for someone who isn't willing to keep up with them.

Find another player. I'm lucky, my group is FLYING, already at 195 posts and well into our first combat encounter.

gredavin on