As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

2nd Annual Pre-PAX Game Night at the Boston Marriott Long Wharf! (Updated 4/9/14)

HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101!Behind YouRegistered User regular
edited April 2014 in PAX East
2nd Annual Pre-PAX Game Night at the Boston Marriott Long Wharf!

For the second year in a row PAX East will have not 1 but 2 pre-PAX gaming nights staggered throughout the Boston Metro area for your gaming pleasure. Attend one or all! See below for details.

WHAT: A coordinated meetup the night before PAX for anyone with board games, or anyone who wants to play boardgames.

WHERE: The Boston Marriott Long Wharf 296 State Street. The Waterline Restaurant in the Long Wharf is graciously giving us use of the private dining room with seating for 50-100 people. Details below!

WHEN: Thursday April 10th, 7pm until Midnight. Sadly that is when the restaurant closes.

OTHER GAME NIGHTS:
Pre and Post PAX East Game Nights at the Westin: 250-300 Seats

OFFICIAL TWITTER HASHTAGS FOR PREPAX GAME NIGHTS!
Use these to look for other people wanting to play!
#WestinTabletop
#MarriottTabletop

MAP OF GAME NIGHTS

COOL SHIT
The Long Wharf is hooking us up once again:
- The Waterline Restaurant: We will be in the private dining room that can hold 50-100 people.
There will be drink specials and we have full run of the menu, linked here for your clickyness:

Food and Drinks!

HOW IT WORKS

On the Thread
1. If you have games to bring, please post what you're bringing.
2. If you're looking to play a specific game, please post your request.
3. Please post your game/requests on the thread for the hotel that you plan to attend.

Once Present at the Hotel
1. Your coordinators for the night are Halfazedninja (Will) and JD (S3 Prototype). Halfazedninja will be the guy wearing the Tye-Dyed top hat, 90's style.
2. If you've got a game and are looking for players, put the box top of the game vertically on your table. This is the universal sign for "I don't care who you are, please join us"
3. If you're looking to join a game, look for vertical box tops.

THE RULES
- Being good guests is critical to this event's welcome at the hotel. Don't be a dick.
- Please make every effort to game in the area they've set aside for us (listed above).
- If you get asked by the hotel staff to move, please be respectful and honor their request.
- The hotel will be reserving the lobby bar/cafe for non-gaming guests. Please sit in one of the designated gaming areas to game.
- The hotel is giving us huge, amazing, dedicated space for free. The best way to show your appreciation and support is to order drinks and food from the hotel while you're there.
- Being that the game night officially ends at Midnight, please keep that in mind and if you choose to game after Midnight find a nice quiet spot to hole up in due to noise concerns from the hotel

GAME ON!!

Requested Games

D&D
Magic The Gathering
Various Deck Building Games
Say Anything
Flashpoint
Eldrich Horror

Available Games

Cards Against Humanity (All 4 expansions) (2)
Cards Against Humanity (UK Edition!)
All kinds of Munchkin Sets
Zombie Dice (4)
Superfight
Citadel
Fiasco
Love Letter
Pirates of the Spanish Main
Cthulu Dice
Summoner Wars
Once Upon a Time
Dungeon Roll
The Committee for the Exploration of Mysteries
Werewolf
Fluxx
Metagame
Pandemic
Zombie Fluxx
Smash-Up
Settlers of Catan (2)
Chrononauts
Myth
Ascension
Key to the Kingdom
Cthulu Dice
Gloom
Tsuro
Metagame
Last Night On Earth
7 Wonders
Forbidden Island
Betrayal at the House on the Hill
Jab
Shadows Over Camelot
Qwirkle
BANG! The Dice Game
King of Tokyo
We Didn't Playtest This At All + Either
Magic the Gathering decks

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

Halfazedninja on

• HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    Quick update: playing phone tag with the manager of the Waterline. I should be talking to him on Friday.

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I'll be here or the Westin, with or without booze and with a group of people.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    Awesome! look forward to meeting you!

• reverend_tobiasreverend_tobias Registered User regular
    I ran Dungeon World last year. It was a lot of fun--anyone on the fence about these meetups should go!

Our lodging this year is on the other side of the BCEC, so we'll probably be going to the Westin counterpart if we aren't pubcrawling.

• CryanaCryana Registered User regular
    This sounds great! We'll see which game night we end up at.

I ran Dungeon World last year. It was a lot of fun--anyone on the fence about these meetups should go!

Our lodging this year is on the other side of the BCEC, so we'll probably be going to the Westin counterpart if we aren't pubcrawling.

Yeah Dungeon World looked like a blast last year. I didn't get around to trying it, I was too busy hosting and drinking lol

• aBByNormaLaBByNormaL Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Looking forward to trying whatever .... Always game for something new

aBByNormaL on
    PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!
    UPDATE! Wheels are in motion! It looks like we'll have a similar setup to last year (room for about 75 people) and the sign meal and drink deal (order whatever food off of the menu and there will be drink specials including the Mana and Health potions from last year).

More details will be coming mid week next week!

• aBByNormaLaBByNormaL Registered User regular
    Excellent sir ......

PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!
  • RaughnRaughn Registered User regular
    FYI for those considering the two boardgame night locations, this Marriott meetup is a short walk from the Pre-PAX Dinner, and will likely start right after the dinner. If you're attending the PPD, this is a good option to keep the night consolidated, particularly if you're in one of the downtown hotels.

• LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    @Halfazedninja - The Westin night is set now, and I've linked to this post with some of the details. Will you let me know as soon as you've confirmed the time and number of seats at the Mariott, so that I can make sure it's correct on the Westin post? Thanky!!

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
    No prob. I just confirmed everything for Long Wharf. I'll be updating the post tonight after I get home from work.

Short version: It's all good :)

POST UPDATED! ALL OF THE INFO IS ABOVE!!

• gonexallgonexall PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    This was an awesome time last year. I plan to be there again this year (and be at the Westin game night on Sunday). I'll bring Citadels for sure because it's easy to pack.

I might bring some GM-less RPG games like Fiasco and/or The Committee for the Exploration of Mysteries. If anyone really wants me to bring these, please let me know and I will make sure to include them.

I'm not sure I will have room in my bags to bring more, but I would like to bring Betrayal at House on the Hill and The Adventurers: Pyramid of Horus. This is entirely dependent on how much space I have left when I am packed.

Yes bring both of those! I want to play Fiasco!

I'll update the OP when I get home

edited February 2014
    Yes bring both of those! I want to play Fiasco!

I'll update the OP when I get home

I will bring Fiasco (which I have not played yet, but hope to before Pax), as well as The Committee for the Exploration of Mysteries, which is a similar type of story creation game but is specifically focused to create an Indiana Jones type pulp fiction adventure.

Since they are small, I will also bring Love Letter, Pirates of the Spanish Main, Cthulu Dice, Summoner Wars, and Once Upon a Time.

I might also bring Zombie Dice and/or Dungeon Roll but these, in my opinion are a bit less fun for game night (but perfect for Pax lines).

I will probably not have room for the big games, but if someone really wants one of the following I will try to solve the space issue and bring it:
    Betrayal at House on the Hill
    The Adventurers: Pyramid of Horus
    Pandemic
    Forbidden Island
    Ticket to Ride
    Race for the Galaxy
    Small World Underground

gonexall on
    Ok G, I'll add the small ones to the list. Let me know if you are bringing any of the big ones (and if you are make it Pandemic :))

New game added - Werewolf

Clarification: I will be bringing the card game of Pirates of the Spanish Main, which is a lot more fun than the miniature game of the same name.

thanks for the clarification!

I will also bring Fluxx. A con favorite and super easy to pack.

gonexall wrote: »
    I will also bring Fluxx. A con favorite and super easy to pack.

I played one of the Fluxxes for the first time last year. Fun as hell. I'll add it to the list

Does anyone that's coming have Pandemic? I'd love to get in a game of that :smile:

• phillerphiller Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Not 100% confirmed if I can make it, but if I do I will be bringing a print-n-play version of Metagame! (cultural not video game version)

philler on
    All Kinds of Philler: A pop culture podcast remarkably free of filler!
    Twitter: @phillerworks || @AKOPpodcast || Steam: mr_philler
    PAX East '14 Locations: || Classic Console Freeplay || Tabletop Area || Long Wharf Pre-PAX Game Night (Come say hi or trade buttons!)
    philler wrote: »
    Not 100% confirmed if I can make it, but if I do I will be bringing a print-n-play version of Metagame! (cultural not video game version)

Awesome! I will add it to the list as a maybe. Hope you can make it!

I'm gonna bite the bullet and say I'm going for sure with a +1.

Also, @Halfazedninja‌, I'm bringing in my copy of Zombie Fluxx, and Pandemic (since you requested it!)

PAX East '14 Locations: || Classic Console Freeplay || Tabletop Area || Long Wharf Pre-PAX Game Night (Come say hi or trade buttons!)
    I'm gonna bite the bullet and say I'm going for sure with a +1.

Also, @Halfazedninja‌, I'm bringing in my copy of Zombie Fluxx, and Pandemic (since you requested it!)

Cool. I'll add them to the list!

• randy_wreckedrandy_wrecked Gunslinger Harrisburg, PARegistered User regular
    Nice! Happy to hear that this is happening again. I had an excellent time at the Marriott event last year and will definitely be there again.

I'll bring my bigger, blacker CAH deck, as well.

Video Game Hangover is a podcast for gamers who overindulge.
    Put it in your ear holes.
    Nice! Happy to hear that this is happening again. I had an excellent time at the Marriott event last year and will definitely be there again.

I'll bring my bigger, blacker CAH deck, as well.

You did get the extra card right?

I'll update the list!

I've sorted my pax stuff over the weekend, and I think I will have room for one mid-sized game. If anyone has a preference out of the following games, let me know:

Ghost Stories (I really like this co-op game for four people that takes about an hour. You play monks, each with a special ability, defending a village from wave after wave of Ghost, followed by a very exciting boss battle. This game is super-fun, tough, and tense. It often comes down to the wire.)

Smash Up (2-4 players, 30-45 minutes; made famous by Will Wheaton's Table Top, this game is easy to learn and quick to play, with an awesomely geeky theme)

Race for the Galaxy (2-4 players, 30-45 minutes; This game takes longer to learn, but once you do, it's super fun).

Dominion (2-4 players, 30 minutes; The original deck-builder. If I brought this, I would not bring all my cards, but enough for a few fun variations of the game).

I vote for Smash-Up.

Since I'm bringing so many games, I thought I would keep them with me in a bag and check them out as folks request with a simple piece of paper to keep track of who has what game and probably cell phone numbers. Sound good? Also, I just played a cool game of time travel called Chrononauts. It is small and fun and plays fast, so I might pick this up before Pax as well. I will bring Sash Up. Good choice, @Halfazedninja‌

I'll add it and that sounds like a good idea!

• GMNChampionGMNChampion Math Instructor Great Falls, VARegistered User regular
    I plan on bringing my settlers of catan game. May be joining with my friend depending on when his flight gets in Thursday night.

PAX East Attendance: '14*, '13, '12, '11, '10 (5 - for - 5)
    Otakon, Anime USA, NekoCon, Katsucon, Anime Mid-Atlantic
    Nice, I'll add it to the list and look forward to meeting you!

Btw, I've printed out Metagame, so you can cross that off as a maybe, and put it in as a definitely.

Will do

• imnotalawyerimnotalawyer Registered User regular
    This is probably an absurdly stupid question, but the "when" doesn't include an actual date. This is set for Thursday night 4/10 correct?

faPgNTD
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    It's Thursday 4/10, yes.

This is probably an absurdly stupid question, but the "when" doesn't include an actual date. This is set for Thursday night 4/10 correct?

Wow I can't believe I forgot the date. I'll fix it now! :smile: