As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Car Problems

TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So, apparently my car doesn't want to start.

It has been needing an extra second or two to turn over and have the engine start over the past few months, but I hadn't thought much of it, until now. 2 days ago, I tried to start my can and it chugged once or twice, made a horrible grinding noise, then didn't start. Did this twice more and then it started.This of course, started happening over the weekend, so I couldn't get it into a mechanic.

It's gotten progressively worse...and now I am at work...and it wont start.

It chuggs then fails. Chuggs then fails. Chuggs then fails. Then, it doesn't do anything when I turn the key.

What is wrong with my car?

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
TehSpectre on

• wasted pixelswasted pixels Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Tried jumping it?

wasted pixels on
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    See, I've had battery problems before.

Sans the horrible grinding noise.

Which leads me to believe that this isn't a battery problem.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • wasted pixelswasted pixels Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Has the battery completely drained like this before?

wasted pixels on
    edited September 2007
    Generally, I get some chugs out of a batter or nothing at all.

I don't get chugs followed by the grinding.

But yes, I have had a battery die before.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • DrakmathusDrakmathus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    sounds like you need a new starter. It's a small motor that has enough torque to start the engine turning until the engine can handle turning on its own. It has a little gear on a shaft that moves forward to engage the flywheel then it starts turning.

Looking at about 200 bucks total for remove and replace. What kind of car is it?

Drakmathus on
    edited September 2007
    What...they just break like that?

I know people who's cars take a few tries to get started....and they've been like that for years.

My car's just ups and breaks?

The hell?

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    edited September 2007
    the few tries deal can be anything from fuel delivery issues (carburated engine, weak/leaking fuel pump) to a weak battery. Horrible grinding noises and an okay battery (light still turn on and such right?) indicate a failed starter.

Drakmathus on
    edited September 2007
    Lame.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    It happens. I've had several starters go (on the same damn car) and it does suck, because unlike a failed battery there is no good way to get the car going again easily (at least with an automatic).

Just take it to a reputable place, I had some issues with a poorly rebuilt starter at one shop I went to that died on me again like 2 months later, and they wouldn't compensate me for it (hence why I stopped going to that place).

EclecticGroove on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    How much does it cost to buy and have a battery installed at a dealership?

I'm using the family honda, and we've had it for 6 or 7 years without swapping the battery. My father says it should really be switched out, but the audio system in the car requires the entry of a security code after a battery replacement, and only a dealership can decrypt the code from where ever it's hidden. Unfortunately, my dad's pretty cheap, and refuses to take it in, so I'm thinking I may have to do it myself with my own cash.

I'm not sure if the car is in warranty anymore. It's out of the initial warranty, but it's covered under an extended warranty provided under a recall that I'm not sure it's qualified for.

HadjiQuest on
  • EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    HadjiQuest wrote: »

I'm using the family honda, and we've had it for 6 or 7 years without swapping the battery. My father says it should really be switched out, but the audio system in the car requires the entry of a security code after a battery replacement, and only a dealership can decrypt the code from where ever it's hidden. Unfortunately, my dad's pretty cheap, and refuses to take it in, so I'm thinking I may have to do it myself with my own cash.

I'm not sure if the car is in warranty anymore. It's out of the initial warranty, but it's covered under an extended warranty provided under a recall that I'm not sure it's qualified for.

WTH?

I've never heard of such a thing. You can swap out a battery on your own in like... 5 minutes tops. I can't imagine it would be more than a few dollars for a dealership to do it (on top of the battery cost itself that is), but if it requires some code deal, who knows what price they charge for that.

EclecticGroove on
  • DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=35636

Check it out.

If it's your starter, yea..it's going to need to be replaced. If you drive a stick, there is a glimmer of hope. If it's dead an it's an automatic? Yeeeeaaa....less of a glimmer.

DrZiplock on
  • a penguina penguin Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

WTH?

I've never heard of such a thing. You can swap out a battery on your own in like... 5 minutes tops. I can't imagine it would be more than a few dollars for a dealership to do it (on top of the battery cost itself that is), but if it requires some code deal, who knows what price they charge for that.

I'm pretty sure they're supposed to give you those codes when you buy the car. I know my VW's have them in the Owner's Manual.

a penguin on
    This space eventually to be filled with excitement
    edited September 2007
    a penguin wrote: »

WTH?

I'm pretty sure they're supposed to give you those codes when you buy the car. I know my VW's have them in the Owner's Manual.

yep

if you don't have the owner's manual or it isn't written down you can get around the radio going dead if you're sneaky/dangerous. I think you should take it to the dealership and get the code so that you have it for future reference.

Drakmathus on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Drakmathus wrote: »

WTH?

yep

if you don't have the owner's manual or it isn't written down you can get around the radio going dead if you're sneaky/dangerous. I think you should take it to the dealership and get the code so that you have it for future reference.

Any idea how much it would cost just for the code? Once again, I want to take it in, it's my father who doesn't.

HadjiQuest on
  • RNEMESiS42RNEMESiS42 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I've replaced car batteries millions of times...it will cost you about $115 bucks, and the hardest part is lifting the 50 pound battery into wherever it goes. Go to Sears and go to their automotive section. Find the car batteries, look up your car make and model, and you'll find what batteries will fit your car.
    I don't have that new of a car, and put in my audio, so I don't know about the code thing, but like others have said: shouldn't the dealership have given it to you when you bought the car?

RNEMESiS42 on
    my apartment looks upside down from there
    water spirals the wrong way out the sink
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    Drakmathus wrote: »

WTH?

yep

Any idea how much it would cost just for the code? Once again, I want to take it in, it's my father who doesn't.

Call the dealership. Odds are they'll just look it up in their records and give it to you if you ask. Maybe you'll need to present ID, who knows. If they have to look it up inside the car, it won't likely take more than an hour and you shouldn't be paying more than $30 an hour or so.

At least I'm pretty sure that's about what I paid last time I had to have work done. I don't know, just call the damned dealership and they'll tell you. Why are you derailing this thread anyways? Stop doing that.

Seriously.

Re: the starter thing

A re-built starter was about $60 the last time I had to get one, and they're apparently not particularly hard to replace on older cars. I wouldn't have any idea about a more recent car though.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH