As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

So apparently The Winter Soldier is a pretty COOL [Superhero Movie]

EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes UpRegistered User regular
edited April 2014 in Social Entropy++
Superhero movies are primarily about good dudes punching bad dudes.

Take, for example, Captain America 2, opening on a whole bunch of different release dates, but relatively soon no matter where you live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SlILk2WMTI

It stars Chris Evans as Captain America, a dude who punches dudes with his fists and a shield.

It also starts Scarlett Johansson as recurring character Black Widow, who punches dudes with her fists, bullets, and sometimes some sort of wrist-taser.

New to the cast is Anthony Mackie, aka Falcon, who punches dudes with bullets while flying. KA-CAW, etc.

After that comes a movie which may have too many dudes punching dudes (if such a thing can even be achieved), X-Men: Days of Future Past.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK2zYHWDZKo

In it, every X-Men character you've ever cared about is returning for, presumably, a five minute scene each so we can get back to watching Wolverine do more things.

And then, later this year will be Guardians of the Galaxy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTZ2Tp9yXyM

This stars Chris Pratt as Peter Quill, aka Star-Lord, a dude who specializes in Han Solo impressions and punching dudes.

It co-stars Batista as a giant green dude who punches dudes named Drax, Zoe Saldana as Gamora, an olive green alien lady-dude who punches dudes, Vin Diesel playing Groot, a large tree who punches people, and Bradley Cooper playing Rocket Raccoon, a raccoon with attitude who punches dudes with bullets. It also has Glenn Close, Glenn Close's Amazing New Haircut, and John C. Reilly.

Next summer comes Avengers 2: Age of Ultron, the sequel to one of the best-selling dude punching movies of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr5rzSMNmRM

In it, the cast of the original Avengers reprise their roles, and fight James "lizard king" Spader, who's playing the titular robotic protagonist, Ultron. There aren't many details out right now, except that somehow Hank Pym won't be involved as he was in the comic, and that it's going to introduce Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver into the MCU.

Shortly after Avengers 2 comes Ant-Man, a movie starring Paul Rudd as Scott Lang and the titular Insect-Dude, and Michael Douglas as Hank Pym, the one who, at least in the comics, originally created Ant-Man. It's directed by Edgar Wright, so it's sure to, if nothing else, look really good and be really funny.

marvelphasetwopreview1-590x343.jpg

And then, on the same day in 2016 comes Captain America 3 and Batman vs Superman. The former was just recently announced, while the latter has a much more detailed, checkered history thus far.

_1375065189.jpg

In it, Henry Cavill reprises his role as Superman from 2013's Man of Steel, a movie in which he may have punched dudes too much. Luckily, to balance him out, Ben Affleck is playing a Batman who, if the sources speak true, has retired from punching dudes. It also has Jeremy Irons as Alfred, Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor, Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman, and maybe or maybe not Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, May His Punching Remain Ever Entertaining.

The movie was delayed from its original release date due to, reportedly, injuries Ben Affleck sustained on set reasons no one really knows, and was pushed back to the same release date as Marvel's Captain America 3. This marks the first time the two companies have competed on the release date (or at least I assume)

After that come a handful of unannounced superhero movies, including at least two more helpings of Marvel Studio's films, and Fox releasing a Wolverine sequel/X-Men: Apocalypse.

So, SE++, let's talk about punches and the brightly-clad people who deliver them.

Etchwarts on

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I really hope I get a weekend off when Cap 2 comes out so I can see it with a friend, aaaaahhh it's so close.

• Ad astraAd astra Registered User regular
    Best MCU movies in terms of punching.

The Avengers
    Iron Man 2
    Thor The Dark World
    Thor
    Captain America
    Iron Man
    The Incredible Hulk
    Iron Man 3

I am extremely excited for the punching in Cap 2, and especially Avengers 2.

• XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    Cap's super power is punching

• Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    for the record, that whole thing about batman vs. superman being delayed due to affleck getting injured was bs

• EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    for the record, that whole thing about batman vs. superman being delayed due to affleck getting injured was bs

Good to know, I'll edit the OP!

• Helpless RockHelpless Rock Registered User regular
    The theaters are going to be real weird on Captain America 3 / Batman vs Superman day.

WT83sWz.jpg
    Steam: Car1gt // Tumblr // Facebook // Twitter
  • LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    Speaking of comic book movies, I bet there'll be a whole lot of punching in Sin City 2.

http://youtu.be/nqRRF5y94uE

• CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    The theaters are going to be real weird on Captain America 3 / Batman vs Superman day.
    Most people don't know and/or give a shit. The only conflict is people bitching about only being able to see one that weekend because movies are expensive.

Crimsondude on
    Most people don't know and/or give a shit. The only conflict is people bitching about only being able to see one that weekend because movies are expensive.

Man that complaint hadn't even occurred to me. I only intend to see one of them anyway.

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    I think people read too much into that line.

Banner, even with repressed anger issues, is a good man. He actively tries to prevent what is he from being used a weapon, and even in hiding he still takes the time to help people. Keeping the factory running, helping that lady get away from the douchbag, even being a straight-up Doctor in india. If the serum worked as described, you'd think Banner would turn into a grumpy super-Samaritan scientist., rather than an enormous green rage monster.

Likewise, Blonsky was a controlled, by-the-books, lifetime soldier. The serum, however, 'caused him to become more and more wreckless.

Actually, looking back, Cap.. really didn't change much before and after, mentally. And who knows what exactly Schmitt was like beforehand. (He sounded like he was just as crazy.)

Yes Banner is a good man and so is the Hulk. He may be a green rage monster who wants to fight but his story-line in Avengers is all about Banner discovering that Hulk can be a force for good. That his natural instinct is the saving of lives.

Its been canon in the Marvel universe that Banner had an anger problem that was released with the Hulk. We don't see Banner pre-Hulking but the whole "I'm always angry" reveal is about Banner admitting that he is an angry man. That the angry is part of him and he has to accept it.

Quire.jpg
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    oh hahahaha

just saw a commercial for Cap 2 in Norway
    apparently it's called Captain America: The Return of the First Avenger here?!

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Is cap seen as propaganda in other parts if the world

Always wondered

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    I'll be out of town for work when Cap 2 comes out. Perfect opportunity to get some tickets and catch it opening weekend.

• CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    never mind

Crimsondude on

Always wondered

Nah. US movies, especially the big summer blockbusters, make big patriotic appeals so often that a guy actually wearing the American flag while he punches villains seems kind of... quaint? It reminds me of my childhood somehow... How was it... Oh wait, I know:
    Apollo_creed_promo.jpg

• JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    What about punching dudes with webs? Anyone doing that anytime soon?

• QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    In Russia, Cap 2 is called "Mother Russia: Victory" and the posters are all a shirtless Putin snapping Cap's shield in half while Black Widow poses at his feet dressed like slave Leia

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    I'd watch it

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Wait, this is the first I've heard of The Rock's possible involvement in Batman vs. Superman

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Wait, this is the first I've heard of The Rock's-

IT DOSENT MATTER IF YOU'VE HEARD

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    @Grey Ghost‌ the marvel assembling a universe thing was okay, mostly focused on phase 1 and the phase 2 films that came out but there's little bits about guardians and age of ultron and a few really short snip its of ant-man

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    You forgot to mention that GotG also has the best movie poster tag line. EVER.

"From the studio that brought you <every mcu movie>

Guardians of the Galaxy

You're Welcome"

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »
    You forgot to mention that GotG also has the best movie poster tag line. EVER.

"From the studio that brought you <every mcu movie>

Guardians of the Galaxy

You're Welcome"

Yes. This. This is the actual tag line on the actual poster in actual movie theaters. I have to believe it was originally a joke and some exec somewhere said, "You know what? Fuck it. Let's roll with it. It'll be funny."

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    I remember seeing international posters where the "the first avenger" subtitle was more prominent

PNk1Ml4.png
  • JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    What if

Captain America crossed over with The Greatest American Hero?

Disney ought to have the rights, it was on ABC
    This post brought to you by that episode of Supernatural where Cas sings the GAH theme to a baby

• TaminTamin Registered User regular
    mmm

Tox

Been resisting asking The Winter Soldier questions, but have an odd one

how many days would you say the movie covers? A few days, a week?

• CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    They are re-airing the Marvel doc tonight at 8 EST on ABC for those who may have missed it and are interested.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited March 2014

Always wondered

See it's weird

in a time of very strong anti-Americanism where I am from, you'd have thought that people would hate Cap

but nobody does, because he's not about jingoism or America fuck yeah or any of that. He's a good guy and he's all about trying to help people and there's a lot of respect for that. I think that some people thought that he'd be this propaganda piece, but then the first Cap movie was really popular as people realised that Cap is the opposite of that, it's not about wearing the flag because the flag is inherently great, but wearing the flag and doing good things to make it great.

Whenever I talk to people online from all around the world, comic fans, people always tend to like Cap wherever they are from because of those reasons. They know that Cap is loyal to to the dream, not the reality.

Solar on
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I had a dream last night about a Falcon/Hulk buddy film where Sam becomes Bruce's SHIELD handler who is supposed to keep Bruce from Hulking out but he actually really likes hanging out with the Hulk(who was more like EMH Hulk) so he spends his days secretly trying to get him to Hulk out.

CYpGAPn.png
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    if they do 50's cap in cap 3 that means they can do the "america is a piece of trash" speech...

PNk1Ml4.png
    Two Americas and/or The Man Who Bought America seems likr a really solid, and topical, story for them to adapt.

Replace Red Skull with Zemo, have Bucky become involved because Bad Cap is crazy and needs a Bucky

CYpGAPn.png
    Shit and Cap 3 comes out in 2016, right? An election year. They should totally do The Man Who Bought America.

CYpGAPn.png
    Replace Red Skull with Zemo, have Bad Cap be his pawn and frame Steve Rogers as a domestic terrorist(while telling Bad Cap he is helping the common man and getting back at the big government) while also gaining support for his puppet candidate while Bucky gets involved to help clear Steve's name as he is now on the run.

Or you could use Sin instead of Zemo, but she's traditionally a little less...master planner-y.

CYpGAPn.png
  • EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »
    What about punching dudes with webs? Anyone doing that anytime soon?

Nope! If there was it would be in the OP, right?

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    mmm

Tox

Been resisting asking The Winter Soldier questions, but have an odd one

how many days would you say the movie covers? A few days, a week?

Not longer than a week. Definitely at least three days. I'd have to watch it again to be sure

lol at "have" to watch Captain America again.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    http://manticoreimaginary.tumblr.com/post/66648531373/pacific-rim-cut-scenes-with-topless-idris-elba
    remember when Stacker Pentecost said that he burned for three hours in Coyote Tango, piloting it to fight Onibaba
    Raleigh has the same scars from solo piloting Gipsy, their Drivesuits couldn't take the strain and scarred them both
    it's part of why Mako was watching Raleigh through her peephole, besides the obvious female gaze
    her father figure had the same scars

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Oh, Stacker...

• SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    Man I wish they would do an extended cut, however unlikely that may be

8EVmPzM.jpg
    Are these scenes available to watch anywhere?

Uh asking for a friend

This discussion has been closed.