As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

what's in a name?

Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong LoveRegistered User regular
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEUVL0U7QyY

my name is michelle jane perez

google tells me that in hebrew, michelle means close to god. jane means Jehovah has been gracious. and that perez means "breach or burst forth"

the decision for michelle as my first name was born from the importance of the name in polish heritage. in poland, there are "name days" which have more significance than birthdays. why the idea of a name is important to me and looking at it from that angle was due to my mother choosing the name of me and youngest brother. dad choose my oldest brother's name, which is larry. so her motives were different from dad's, as it was his name and therefore a legacy name. i was born matthew james perez. matthew means gift of the lord. james has an origin in the word ya`aqob which means to supplant.

ma had looked at the biblical implication of matthew of being changing, and supplanting. matthew meant changing by gods grace, and james meant that i would take shit over.

so they were names that were meant to either grow past, or names associated with a great grandious change. to this day i cant understand which one it is, but im still gonna understand at some point or another.

there are many with those names, born into those names with no choice but given the importance of my heritage and the importance on those words, i needed to know why as they may offer a clue about the parts of me i still don't understand.

what's your name?

twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    My name is

JtgVX0H.png
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    mynameisearl-logo_450_1171417951.jpg

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    I;m gary

actually it's alexander, which is an old hebrew name meaning servant of man

my father and uncles were all named after kings, as was my grandfather and my cousins as well

• Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Anglicized form of the Irish name Caoimhín, derived from the older Irish Cóemgein, composed of the Old Irish elements cóem "kind, gentle, handsome" and gein "birth". Saint Caoimhín established a monastery in Glendalough, Ireland in the 6th century and is the patron saint of Dublin. It became popular in the English-speaking world outside of Ireland in the 20th century.

Two out of three ain't bad.

Looking up my last name just comes up with Christ info.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Shit, I didn't mean to hit post yet. My first name is Daniel which is a hugely common name. My last name is Harris, but my great grandfather's last name wasn't that originally. He changed it to that while on the run from the law and I don't know what his original name was and I wish I did. I only know that he was first or second generation Irish.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    my motivation for using michelle was that it was my mother's name, and that i respected legacy too. a lot of people i've known have thought that ma was dead. i almost never bring her up, and talk more about dad. its born from two things: the years i worked with my father at his factory were the most i'd ever spoken to him, and that my mother's name was the one i most closely associated with strength, and that name belonged to someone who had seen too much. ma has went through worse than i have, and if you know anything about me you know i've had it entirely too rough.

so when the discussion came up about a name, and what name i would use there was never a list, it was hers. when my life changed completely, id told the family i need everyone on my team, and that there's no win unless it's together, and that family and loyalty were the only things important in our short time here, and that our language informs our love and if my love looked like unwavering strength, then that would look like her name

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
    crwth wrote: »

im very happy that an earlier redman album cover is a cgi chibi redman that looks like parappa the rapper

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    My first name means "messenger of God", which uh, whoops...

crwth wrote: »

im very happy that an earlier redman album cover is a cgi chibi redman that looks like parappa the rapper

same

EzUAYcn.png
  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I have been told my first name means farmer and my last name means goat farmer so there you go.

• facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    My name is Andrew.

I used to hate it, because it's absurdly common - there were four Andrews in my grade in school, and it wasn't a very large school either. So it earned me various nicknames (either my surname, or "Butterfingers" after an ill-fated game of American football during recess) to differentiate which always kinda perturbed me, plus it became tedious to constantly hear my name shouted and turning to look only to find out it wasn't me they were calling. I can't spend a day at an amusement park without this happening several times.

And yet, when I started using the internet and it came to picking an online handle, I found myself choosing Andrew because I couldn't think of anything better, and after becoming 'known' in certain circles enough by it that it was too late to change, I finally came around and started liking it.

Apparently it means 'manly' or 'courageous' which I find hilarious because I am neither, but somehow the plainness of it suits me.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    my name is Jonathan Mathew.

Jonathan means gift from God and Mathew means good has given. I think?

who knows what McGee means?

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I lost my name in a skiing accident.

i'm a very un puerto rican puerto rican but my name is very puerto rican and i like it

EzUAYcn.png
    I was good friends with another of those Andrews at school, and we'd often sit together at lunch.

In hindsight, I wonder if our friends mightn't have intentionally arranged it so we sat next to each other: I was fairly tall and rather fat, whereas he was one of those people with an insanely high metabolism so he was short and scrawny.

So there you had two Andrews, one huge and one tiny, sitting next to each other, with the tiny one eating twice as much as the big one.

We could have been a silent movie comedy pairing.

Real strong, facetious.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    My name is Nicholas, which means "Victory of the People". Before me, my parents had two miscarriages, so I was a kind of "victory" for them.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    also my friend and roommate just got robbed at gunpoint at work today...

lucky the dude dropped his gun behind the counter at my buddies feet and it didn't go off...

also, fuck all that shit i said earlier my name is gary

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

Sunny Bono?

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    my name is Daniel

In Hebrew, "Dan" means "judge" and "El" is a name of God.

Most people will tell you that Daniel means "God is my Judge"

But a closer translation is "God's judge" (the 's is possessive, not a contraction).

I really, really like my name. Not only am I a junior, but also when it comes to "-ologies" (astrology, numerology, etc), the only one that I really feel identifies me is nameology. Most of the other stuff, when I put in my info, gives a fairly generic and less than very accurate set of traits. The ones that apply to me arguably apply to just about everybody in one way or another.

But nameology seems to hit the nail on the head.

Hi, Michelle!

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    Dubh wrote: »

Sunny Bono?

too soon

Dubh wrote: »

Sunny Bono?

Who knows, man.

edited March 2014
    Also my original handle was actually part of a 'character name' for a game I was playing, and so it had a surname. I struggled with coming up with one of those as well, and ended up picking the surname of a boy in my class who I wasn't close friends with, who'd just completed his last year in our school before being sent reluctantly to military school.

It wasn't until a few years later, when I began to wonder if I might be gay, that it occurred to me that he'd actually been my first crush (without realizing it) and so 'adopting' his surname was like the equivalent of someone writing "[first name] Depp" in their journal and drawing hearts around it and I became mortified.

facetious on
    Real strong, facetious.

It only just occurred to me that you meant Sonny Bono, not some relative of his or something ... I need to go to bed.

• MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    The day I joined I was reading Elmore Leonard's Maximum Bob. It was a pretty good book.

the names sonny

friends call me sunny

EzUAYcn.png
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Put all together, my name could mean "crafter of the angelic beloved."

Actually the best part of my name is that my first and last names are almost anagrams with one another. You just have to swap one letter.

Real strong, facetious.

• CorporateRedCorporateRed Wooooooo! Registered User regular
    My name is Pete(r), which means rock, if you smell what I'm cookin.

I'm pretty sure it's more about the rock the church was built on, but St Peter was never the people's champ.

Steam ID: Corporate Red
    steam_sig.png
  • LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    All of the men on my dad's side of the family have JML initials. Grandfather was Joseph Michael, uncle was James Mark, his son is Jon Marc, dad is Jerome Michael and I'm Jason Michael.

I thought it was really dumb as a kid but now I think it's neat.

Also my mom's side is really big on nicknames. My mom's real name is Elaine and her twin brother's is Richard, but they've been called Missy and Buzzy literally since they were born. My mom once told me she didn't find out what her real name was until the teacher took attendance on her first ever day of school.

ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    My and my brother's names mean "great man" and "great pillar" respectively.

I can't remember which is which, though.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    I'm your Huckleberry.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    My and my brother's names mean "great man" and "great pillar" respectively.

I can't remember which is which, though.

Well one of you clearly has to support the other.

Also I'm the only member of this generation of my close family whose name doesn't start with a J.

It went Joseph, Jessica, Jeremy, Andrew, James.

Apparently it was a complete coincidence between my mom, aunt and uncle. But it made me feel unique.

Real strong, facetious.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    My dad named me and my sister after Russian royalty.

So far nothing's come of that. But time will tell...

• NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    My full name is Robert Tyberius Lee Wilson.

The second half of my name is simply my father's middle and last name. He was in jail when I was born because he couldn't do right. Only got outta jail on probation when I was 4-5 ish, a promptly got himself locked up again after about a month. And didn't get released again till I was twenty. I harbored a lot of hate for him for that. Growing me and my mom and my sister hopped from one roach ridden HUD home to another and got by on food stamps and favors I always blamed him and vowed to never be like that. Which, since I didn't really know they guy meant bucking all black stereotypes. I avoided making friends with my fellow classmates. I stuck in books and video games and hated sports. I wasn't gonna be like my peers. I was gonna make it out. So, uh dad just kind made me some nerd ass uncle Tom jerk I guess.

But anyway, my father wasn't there to give me a name and even though my mom didn't think that highly of him she still though he deserved half of naming rights.

Robert was my grandfather's name (on my mothers side obviously, I did not then nor now have any really interaction awith my father's family.) means bright fame I think? I was the first my my generation born in my extended family, and would be the only boy between my mom and my aunt. I was really smart when I was young and quick to pick things up. A soft spoken, unintrusive boy always smiling and running around. I was the favorite the eldest and everyone expected great things from me.

Tyberius. My mom gave me that name because she was flipping through bible while in the delivery room, and saw the Ceasar. Tiberius, meaning born by the Tiber River. It's the ame i went by growing up, With another Robert in the house, it would get confusing. I didn't really start going by Robert until high school, so there's a weird dichotomy where all the i white people came to know me as Robert or Rob, but I still always kind of think of myself as Ty first. Even now introducing myself to people there's an odd pause and upward questioning inflection that I assume most people just interpret as me not knowing my own name.

When trying to pick up girls I always go by Tyberius though, because it's obviously the more fuckable name.

My mom was so wow'd by the success of Tyberius my sister got the first name Tyshelle. Her middle name is Zolanna which is a kinda anagram of my her father's name, Alonzo.

NeoToma on
    NeoToma, your name is really cool.