As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Risen from a 60 million year slumber, the SE++ [Warhammer 40000] thread

• Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    I tried so hard to get into the Ghost books but none of the characters really appealed at all. Cain and even the Eisenhorn/Ravenor seires just stuck more with me,

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I tried so hard to get into the Ghost books but none of the characters really appealed at all. Cain and even the Eisenhorn/Ravenor seires just stuck more with me,

Gaunt is kinda rough at the start.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular

Gaunt is kinda rough at the start.

It really kicks off with Honor Guard because then you have the the Verghastites mixed in too.

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    factions i like
    Marines/Chaos Marines
    Orks
    Necrons
    Lizardmen

can i just have a setting with those dudes

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    factions i like
    Marines/Chaos Marines
    Orks
    Necrons
    Lizardmen

can i just have a setting with those dudes

What do you have against the Imperial Guard, Anti?

They're the screaming, terrified, bed wetting manifestation of the Emperor's will!

maybe if they had cooler or more colorful armor

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    maybe if they had cooler or more colorful armor

This colorful enough?

dear lord

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I love the variety in the imperial guard. Fluffwise every planet's guard is unique and expresses the planet's or even subcultures of the planet's culture. But since the Cadian Guard are the only plastic guard everyone just uses them. A dream wish of mine is for GW to put out a plastic guard squad similar to the Warhammer militia. You can make cool unique troops and they are really useful if you're doing small scale skirmish games or a roleplaying game. Something like that but for 40k would be real cool.

• BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Oh man, WARHAMMER FORTY-THOUSAND. My most favorite thing to spend too much money on. I think I found an old brochure advertisement for it in a park somewhere in my early teens and got hooked. Went off and on til I found a nearby store full of like-minded adult children to move miniatures around with and argue about miniscule shit.
    My favorite part has been converting dudes into other dudes. It's like Legos, but with infinite skulls and you get to stab the shit out of yourself on a daily basis with x-acto blades. Here's some of my dudes!

Chaos Sorcerer!
    mM4JHkO.jpg
    Chaos Chosen!
    22uPvrl.jpg?1
    Non-Chaos Adeptus Mechanicus Explorator!
    dxQAaa9.jpg?1

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    I really like the Dark Eldar

the latest edition totally revamped the fluff, as well as the rules

they're actually pretty awesome now, both from a gameplay and lore perspectives

aside from them I'm a sucker for the Traitor Guard - I really wish there were units and rules especially to play as them; Chaos Space Marines are great and all, but I always thought that if the Imperium has a the Space Marines as well as large standing army full of random people with basic lasguns, it stands to reason that forces of chaos, aside from having giant hulking champions of corruption, should also have huge swaths of dirty cultists with bolt rifles.

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    also, yeah

there's a huge variety of IG regiments

though I'm always a fan of the Mordian Iron Guard:

Mordian_Iron_Guard_female_trooper_2.jpg

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
    I had several dirty puns about "Iron guard" ready, but she looks like she would shoot me so I will keep them to myself.

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Badablack wrote: »
    Oh man, WARHAMMER FORTY-THOUSAND. My most favorite thing to spend too much money on. I think I found an old brochure advertisement for it in a park somewhere in my early teens and got hooked. Went off and on til I found a nearby store full of like-minded adult children to move miniatures around with and argue about miniscule shit.
    My favorite part has been converting dudes into other dudes. It's like Legos, but with infinite skulls and you get to stab the shit out of yourself on a daily basis with x-acto blades. Here's some of my dudes!

Chaos Sorcerer!
    mM4JHkO.jpg
    Chaos Chosen!
    22uPvrl.jpg?1
    Non-Chaos Adeptus Mechanicus Explorator!
    dxQAaa9.jpg?1

Looks.like some super sharp paint there man!

I can't remember who used to post all the super sweet ork conversions around here but maaaan they were sweet. He posted this MASSIVE killa can once and the thing was seriously huge and stuff.

edited March 2014
    IMG_0166.JPG

TheHoff_0001.jpg

Traitor_Guard_NEW_WITH_SNOW_2_by_timjonesiddqd.jpg

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    picture is seriously huge but KILLA CAN.

IT WAS JAMSESSIONEIN WHO MADE IT. I FIGURED IT OUT WITH THE GOOGLES.

apparently he doesn't post any more and that makes me a sad panda.

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/blog/139987.page

Metzger Meister on
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    that's not a killa can

that's a stompa

also I had forgotten about that entirely, I remember when he'd post updates in the critical failures 40k thread

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Ein made me a super sweet custom Hyrda with a snotling attaching a sticky bomb underneath. Also some of my guardsmen are getting stomped under his scratch built Stompa. :p

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    Elaro wrote: »
    sm_02.gif
    - The Loyal -

*snort*

• Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Ein made me a custom Wraithlord and it's the only reason I never straight up sold all my 40k shit

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    Ein made me a custom Wraithlord and it's the only reason I never straight up sold all my 40k shit

I remember that!

that shit is badass

• webberwebber Registered User regular
    Every week I check on when the new Ork codex will out. Every week I cry green tears because it is never going to be here.

This lucky penny is bullshit.
    Hearthstone - Webber #1330
    3DS: 0920-3235-4071
    Every week I check to see if they ever released kits for 75% of the Imperial Guard artillery options. they never will...

• Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Speaking of IG, anyone here play Only War (the IG version of Dark Heresy)?

E: Oh there it is back on page 3

It's fun!

Dongs Galore on
    webber wrote: »
    Every week I check on when the new Ork codex will out. Every week I cry green tears because it is never going to be here.

the gap between their current codex and the previous one was like a decade, wasn't it?

Shorty wrote: »
    Mortal Sky wrote: »

I remember that!

that shit is badass

It looks incredible and the pinning reinforcement means it's also rock solid

why are you not posting pics right this very second

Shorty wrote: »
    that's not a killa can

that's a stompa

also I had forgotten about that entirely, I remember when he'd post updates in the critical failures 40k thread

i'm sorry ;-;

i've never actually played any warhammer stuff due to lack of green monies, i just think it's hella neat

The wraithlord is in a storage box a hundred miles away but here's Ein's writeup
    http://www.the-warforge.com/?cat=54

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I love

Ciaphas Cain

CYpGAPn.png
  • HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    The different guard armies who have different uniforms are great

like the Athonian Tunnel Rats, an army drawn from a planet where there are a few massive corporations run by families and the underlings who live in those families' districts are recruited to fight in gangs that occupy the sewers and underworks of the planet, those gangsters are then brought off-world to fight in Athonian Regiments

zGX9Dhx.jpg

Huntera on
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I love

Ciaphas Cain

I wanna hear about his Dark or otherwise Eldar exploits cause the asshole keeps bringing them up but never expanding

Preferably with Amberley involved, who always adds the extra something to a Cain book.

Blankzilla wrote: »
    I love

Ciaphas Cain

I wanna hear about his Dark or otherwise Eldar exploits cause the asshole keeps bringing them up but never expanding

Preferably with Amberley involved, who always adds the extra something to a Cain book.

It took a while to tell the story about him and those Space Marines so I assume it is coming.

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Still sad that I'll never see a Band of Brothers style Imperial Guard series.

Oh hey, I totally did miss a Ciaphas book.

Last one I got was The Last Ditch.

Looks like The Greater Good came out last year. How was that? The plot seems identical to another Cain book.

And so was Last Ditch, actually

I hope this pattern doesn't keep. Although Last Ditch was OK from what I read, and not exactly the same thing as Caves of Ice.

I still haven't read any of the Abnett books

just some of the space marine and eldar stuff

I should do that

I kinda like the Death Korps of Krieg, myself.

An army that nuked their planet to hell because no help was coming from the Imperium, and fuck the rebels, if the Emperor can't have the planet nobody will. Where the only thing their world produces anymore is double hard bastards with no concerns but "Kill the enemies of the Imperium", and "Take as many of them with you as you can before you die."

I mean, most of the Guard is of the "Subtract number of losses from number killed, if the answer is positive hurrah, glorious victory" school already. But the Death Korps is enthusiastic about it.

I got all of the Imperial Armor rules for the Siege of Vraks which is all Death Korps. Those have some pretty good stories.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Speaking of IG, anyone here play Only War (the IG version of Dark Heresy)?

E: Oh there it is back on page 3

It's fun!

Best system of the lot, for sure

Anyway yes 40K

I haven't played the wargame in years, but I very much enjoy the RPGs. As far as I am concerned, the Abnett Inquisition books are the perfect interpretation of 40K, and the RPGs are the best way to play those games.

• FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Looks like The Greater Good came out last year. How was that? The plot seems identical to another Cain book.

Disappointing lack of Tau (and an even greater lack of Tau treachery).
    Lots of Tyranids.

I would put this in spoilers if it was actually a surprise to anyone. It was probably the least entertaining book in the Ciaphas Cain series, which still puts it ahead of the best output of many other black library authors.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden