As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game On?] Old World of Darkness: We Roll 10s

Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
edited November 2006 in Critical Failures
wodlogouw7.gif

This thread is for organizing a PA World of Darkness game. I'd like to add a poll to let people decide what game they'd like to play. If you'd like to play or ST any of the game systems, post in here and we'll try to get something going on the regular. These games have a tendency to fall apart - but hopefully with a proper tabletop forum we can keep it going strong.

This thread isn't for discussing the World of Darkness. That thread can be found here.

For information on the World of Darkness:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_of_Darkness
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vampire:_The_Masquerade
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Werewolf:_The_Apocalypse
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mage:_The_Ascension
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wraith:_The_Oblivion
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Changeling:_The_Dreaming
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunter:_The_Reckoning

To find WoD books:

First and foremost, check your local game stores. Brave the sights and smells behind the counter and start digging. Odds are about even for them having any old WoD books lying around, but they're worth supporting and they might be able to help you find stuff. Second, try asking in here if anyone knows or has any extra books lying around. Last time I was able to hook Captain K up with a Werewolf core book I had. If both your local game stores and PA fails you, Amazon and ebay both have excellent selections.

Who's Who:

defrag - ST, Player - Werewolf, Changeling, Mage, Hunter.
INeedNoSalt - Player - Hunter, Vampire, Werewolf, Mage, Wraith.
DarkPrimus - Player - Mage, Vampire, Demon
poisnedcoke - Player - Vampire
Saint Justice - Player - Vampire
gredavin - Player - Mage
greynin - ST, Player - Vampire
Chorazin - Player - Vampire, Werewolf, Changeling, Mage, Wraith
barrelv - Player - Mage, Vampire, Hunter, Werewolf, Changeling
Reynolds - Player - 'Whatever'
siliconenhanced - Player - Werewolf
M - Player - Vampire
Jaelen - Player - Mage, Vampire
barrelv - Player - Mage

Games in Progress

I (defrag) am running a Werewolf game. I'm accepting character sheets and biographies at proletarianhop at gmail. The game probably won't start for a couple of weeks yet and has a limit of 5 players.

Armageddon

If you'd like to be included on the list of possible players and STs, just post here and I'll edit the first post with your information. Maybe a mod could add a poll about which game everyone would like to play most and we can get started soon.

Edits to come.

Whiniest Man On Earth on

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I don't know if I trust White Wolf/WoD. Making a character is fun, but I don't think I've ever played a fun game of it. Always willing to try, though. Seems lonely here, though.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Salty is a potential player!

I'm up for... HtR, VtM, WtA, WtO, and MtA.

None of the 2.0 stuff, but you didn't list any of those anyway.

Edit: I see you neglected Demon: the Fallen. :P

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Not sure if I'm way offtopic here but could someone give me the details on Demon: the Fallen?

Silpheed on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I only have Mage books, but (if I can find them) I'd be possibly interested in a Vampire or Demon game, too.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    With Old WoD, didnt you have to get the WoD rulebook, and THEN the corebook for each of the seperate games? So like, the WoD book, then VtM, or Werewolf.

CangoFett on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    CangoFett wrote:
    With Old WoD, didnt you have to get the WoD rulebook, and THEN the corebook for each of the seperate games? So like, the WoD book, then VtM, or Werewolf.

That's the new WoD actually. Old WoD had all the rules you needed to play in the individual game core books.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Silpheed wrote:
    Not sure if I'm way offtopic here but could someone give me the details on Demon: the Fallen?

Basically you play Fallen Angels that fought with Lucifer and company against God and lost. They got sent to hell and due to the fact the World is going to hell (WoD had the whole "oh lols we're all going to die thing" back then) the boundary that stops demons (and a host of other stuff) from flooding back into the world is beginning to weaken considerably. Demons/Fallen are effectively spirits that have taken over the bodies of other individuals with weak souls, so the insane, people who are mentally ill or highly suicidal etc.

They gain power IIRC from having a large amount of mortal influence, which fuels their power and allows them to use their abilities etc. They aren't strictly evil, as they get a choice if they wish to redeem themselves in Gods eyes or if they feel like bringing everything down and wiping all humanity out.

Personally, I never felt it worked well at all.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    poisnedcokepoisnedcoke Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I have the Vampire book (3rd Edition) but never played (This is a constant for most games, hard to get a group for me). If you guys need an extra player and someone could help me out a little I'd be more then willing. I can understand why you might not but like I said if you need me I'm here. I don't really want to play a forum-based game though.

poisnedcoke on
    I'm trilltastic, trilldacious even!
  • Options
    Saint JusticeSaint Justice Mercenary Mah-vel Baybee!!!Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Hey, put me down as a possibility for a player for Vampire: The Masquerade. I've got the core book and I'm the ST for a game with some of my friends offline. The first session went pretty well. I'd definitely like to get the chance to be a player though. We game on Wednesday nights and I have a night class Thursday nights. Sunday evenings are usually booked too. Monday or Tuesday evenings would be best for me, but I might be able to play Friday or Saturday. We shall see.

BTW, it'd have to be an irc/vent kinda thing or I'm not playing. I just don't think a pure forum-based set up really works.

Saint Justice on
    Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul. ~ Tycho
  • Options
    gredavingredavin Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Mage baby!

If not Mage, then I would be cool with Vampire.

gredavin on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    gredavin wrote:
    Mage baby!

The new WoD book, where you seem to just play a random perosn, is pretty good. Besides that, Mage is probably the setting I enjoyed the most. But that satyr I played was pretty interesting. And the viking vampire....

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Reynolds wrote:
    gredavin wrote:
    Mage baby!

The new WoD book, where you seem to just play a random perosn, is pretty good. Besides that, Mage is probably the setting I enjoyed the most. But that satyr I played was pretty interesting. And the viking vampire....

Well, you are a normal person in that because it's the entire point :p

But this is a thread for the oWoD, which has no such equivalent [iirc].

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    greyningreynin Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I would play in a Vampire game if it were heavy intrigue and not a plasticky sideshow excuse for constant combat shennanigans. I've played a lot of old WoD in the past several years and I do love the atmosphere, but it was so very rarely captured correctly.

I would be up for ST'ing if I were absolutely 100% sure that people would show up and stay involved. I suppose what I am shooting for here is a perfect-scenario revival of the things I used to love about old WoD, which may be a bit of a reach, but oh well.

greynin on
  • Options
    ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I'd be up for any game. I have um...every main book sans Hunter, and a plethora of sourcebooks all all games.

Chorazin on
    Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    barrelvbarrelv Registered User new member
    edited September 2006
    My recent job move to DC took me away from all my old tabletop buddies, so I'm def. interested in virtually everything WoD (except Wraith, I've heard mountains of bad juju about this game).

My preference (and exposure) is almost totally within MtA (and the related Technocracy info), but I'm game for VtM, HtR, and possibly WtA and CtD. Typically, I'd rather play, but once I get to know a group, I've had some successful runs as a ST

Random question: are people hoping to meet up and tabletop a game or run something online?

barrelv on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    barrelv wrote:
    My recent job move to DC took me away from all my old tabletop buddies, so I'm def. interested in virtually everything WoD (except Wraith, I've heard mountains of bad juju about this game).

My preference (and exposure) is almost totally within MtA (and the related Technocracy info), but I'm game for VtM, HtR, and possibly WtA and CtD. Typically, I'd rather play, but once I get to know a group, I've had some successful runs as a ST

Random question: are people hoping to meet up and tabletop a game or run something online?

This will probably be run online, as getting everyone together in the same area seems a bit difficult.

I'll update the first post with everyone's info while I'm at work today.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Hey, I said I'd give it a try. Put me down for 'whatever'. I just hope it's good fun.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    We need more people up for Hunter on that list. :O

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited September 2006

I liked the Hunter video game? Does that count?

I tried to read up on the book, once. We didn't get far.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Reynolds wrote:

I liked the Hunter video game? Does that count?

I tried to read up on the book, once. We didn't get far.
    I owned the Hunter core book briefly. all I could get out of the system was "... and you die."

I believe at one point, the core book actually tells you not to become too attached to your char, as you will likely die... a lot. Which makes sense, I suppose, if you go charging off against something supernatural as a juiced mortal.

The game's concept definately caught my attention, I'd just have to be convinced that it was worth investing the time in creating the char. The idea of lowly mortals rising up to shake off the things that go bump in the night sounds great to me.

Oh, and I don't own the core book anymore... i suppose that could be a problem to gameplay

barrelv on
  • Options
    HektorHektor Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    barrelv wrote:
    ...(except Wraith, I've heard mountains of bad juju about this game).

You been lied too.

:^:

really, i don't have the time for a pbp rpg, but if we were going to do some Wraith...i might be convinced.

Hektor on
    final.gifDG-1.png
    Morskittar wrote:
    With as much gusto and enthusiasm I can muster: fuck tourney-legal! Tournaments are for Magic players, furries, and child molesters.
  • Options
    AllonAllon Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    barrelv wrote:
    ...(except Wraith, I've heard mountains of bad juju about this game).

You been lied to.

Allon on
  • Options
    HektorHektor Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    :arrow: Allon

Right on.

also: "You have been banned for the following reason:
    "Cockfags" is unacceptable language "?

for realz? c'mon, that's not THAT bad- is it? o_O

you could have said "Cockthirsty" after all...

Hektor on
    final.gifDG-1.png
    Morskittar wrote:
    With as much gusto and enthusiasm I can muster: fuck tourney-legal! Tournaments are for Magic players, furries, and child molesters.
  • Options
    AllonAllon Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I might have gotten away with it if 1: I had posted it in Tangency and 2: If I hadn't called a lot of people cockfags in a thread title... >_>

Oh well, ban over. Back to the grind. <3

Allon on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    So we've got all these players and STs listed. Going to start picking a game and splitting up and rolling up? I will have to consult my local WoD fiend to get a book, unless we're going to do creation together, somehow...

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    greyningreynin Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    About a year ago I gifted my entire old WoD library to a friend. However he's just a quick drive away, and with what I gave him, he now has just about every book ever published for that system. If we need anything I can more than likely procure it.

greynin on
  • Options
    Saint JusticeSaint Justice Mercenary Mah-vel Baybee!!!Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    So, is this ever gonna happen? It's been over a week.

Saint Justice on
    Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul. ~ Tycho
  • Options
    siliconenhancedsiliconenhanced __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2006
    Good thing its been over a week! I wanna be in!

siliconenhanced on
  • Options
    MM Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I have vampire (3rd I think but the rulebook only has the main camerilla clans) and would like to play. I've never done a pen and paper RPG online though, how does it work?

M on
    Bellyachin' on an empty stomach
  • Options
    GABBO GABBO GABBOGABBO GABBO GABBO Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I'd be interested in joining an online game, (maybe using Battlegrounds) but I've got very little experience with the WoD games outside of the videogames, and what little I learned while working in a comic shop.

What books should I pick up in order to play, and where's the best place to get them?

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Well, hello again thread.

I'm going to make another attempt at running a Werewolf game online. Everyone who doesn't want to play Werewolf is welcome to run their own game with the information from this thread, which I will try and keep updated. With that in mind, I'm going to lay down some guidelines for my Werewolf game that I'll write out later.

Manifest, I reccomend finding a copy of the Werewolf 3rd edition core book at a local store first, but if you can't find one you can always resort to ordering one online.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    defrag wrote:
    Well, hello again thread.

I'm going to make another attempt at running a Werewolf game online. Everyone who doesn't want to play Werewolf is welcome to run their own game with the information from this thread, which I will try and keep updated. With that in mind, I'm going to lay down some guidelines for my Werewolf game that I'll write out later.

Manifest, I reccomend finding a copy of the Werewolf 3rd edition core book at a local store first, but if you can't find one you can always resort to ordering one online.

I know last time you tried, I was a complete shithead and managed to miss games and stuff, but uh.. got room for Salty again? >>

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    More details about my Werewolf game:

- It's going to be invite only. I don't want to offend anyone who doesn't get invited, but I also don't want this game to fall apart like the last one did.
    - The people that I consider better roleplayers will get priority.
    - People who actually own Werewolf will get priority.
    - People who enjoy/have played Werewolf before definitely get priority.
    - The setting and initial game sessions will likely be identical to the previous game. (Pacific NW, etc
    - If you'd like to submit a character biography/sheet to be considered, do it to proletarianhop at gmail.
    - I already have two out of the five players in mind.
    - Gameplay sessions will probably be about 2-3 hours long and based on a Pacific timezone. East coasters who can stay up late shouldn't be discouraged, but I don't even get home until 7PM PST sometimes.
    - Games will probably be run in IRC, but I'm looking into other options.

That's about all I got for now.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    JaelenJaelen Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I'd be happy to join a mage or vampire game if anyone is willing to run one.
    I'd even go so far as to kiss the feet of anyone who could sort out a technocracy mage game.

Jaelen on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Jaelen wrote:
    I'd even go so far as to kiss the feet of anyone who could sort out a technocracy mage game.
    I agree with that. Prob. the most fun I ever had in a game was a Technocratic game that had nothing to do with Mages (we were tracking down other reality deviants). A good Mage v/s Technocrat game is a LOT of fun, for both sides.

barrelv on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    First post updated.

I'd kill to play in a well-run Mage game.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I wish I could play, but sadly, my laptop is all kinds of fucked, and doing military service means any and all prior engagements are at the mercy of whatever random shit you get told to do("Hey. You're going to take a Medic level 2 course this week. Already done it? Shit, I can't find any paperwork on that, do it again. Oh, you've got the paperwork right here? Well, damn, it's not in the system. Better go take that medic course". This has happened twice. With the same CO. I <3 the Norwegian military).

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    I've got one (siliconenhanced) application. I'm guessing that means there just isn't enough interest in Werewolf.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    PowerslavePowerslave Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    defrag wrote:
    I've got one (siliconenhanced) application. I'm guessing that means there just isn't enough interest in Werewolf.

I guess you didn't get mine.

I think you aren't getting applications because you really haven't given out any information regarding it beyond that it's a W:tA game. Or done much to bring it to people's attention.

I remember what drew me to the game last time was the large [GAME ON] Werewolf thread title and decent description on what the setting and possible conflicts were.

Powerslave on
    "Never trust anyone who spells 'magic' with a K."
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Powerslave wrote:
    defrag wrote:

I guess you didn't get mine.

I think you aren't getting applications because you really haven't given out any information regarding it beyond that it's a W:tA game. Or done much to bring it to people's attention.

I remember what drew me to the game last time was the large [GAME ON] Werewolf thread title and decent description on what the setting and possible conflicts were.

Well, and the fact that it was posted in G&T.

Whiniest Man On Earth on