As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Risen from a 60 million year slumber, the SE++ [Warhammer 40000] thread

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I don't think I will ever play WH40K. I am not super jazzed on how the mechanics of movement work in the game, and I am not capable of conjuring enormous quantities of untraceable cash from thin air.

But I sure think it looks like a lot of fun.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I like the rules to 40k.

Too bad it's so pricey.

At least I got the video games.

Gonna track down a copy of Fire Warrior and suffer through that.

• Options
    There are games with somewhat similar rules to 40k that seem cool but they don't got as good of models.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Man you say that

but Infinity models are absolutely immense

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Infinity isn't enough like 40k in a mechanics sense to qualify IMO

Some of them aren't the best either, but I will agree that many of them are good.

I mean as far as a game about lining up and shooting or making charges I'd rather play Dropzone commander but like, It's hard to put the post human republic up against any of the warhammer models and say 40k just isn't better sculpted with more realized and dynamic themes and poses.

I keep wanting to play Napoleonics or something but I know that is fucking crazy.

EDIT: Also Infinity is really hard to wrap your head around from just the book. Even with the fan translations it's kinda rough.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    webberwebber Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    webber wrote: »
    Every week I check on when the new Ork codex will out. Every week I cry green tears because it is never going to be here.

the gap between their current codex and the previous one was like a decade, wasn't it?

Yup 1999-2008. RIP.

This lucky penny is bullshit.
    Hearthstone - Webber #1330
    3DS: 0920-3235-4071
  • Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    Infinity is in amazing game, but is *is* really hard to wrap your head around from the rules alone. When Iw as just getting into it, I sat down with a rulebook and a bunch of Imperial Guard and pushed them around the table until things made some kind of sense.

The models are sickballs. This one is one of my favourite sculpts of all time.
    IMG_0157.jpg

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    man I really want to finish my eldar army someday but I just can't justify giving GW any more money, they suck so bad

• Options
    I dig a lot of haqqislam models.

• Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    There is a pretty robust 2nd hand market for wardollies. Ebay, Facebook groups, forums, there's a bunch of option out there. You can get stuff pretty cheap, especially if it's not the current power build/list.

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    I should work on my Work army some more and post some pictures.

My Dethkoptas are pretty rad.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Oooh, nice. A 40k thread with posts in it.
    I'm a slaanesh guy through and through, but for a change I've been building/painting a Tau army. Battlesuits!
    BigoIdKCMAEjtQ_.jpg
    BgH8TflCQAEfH5J.jpg
    BgH8LoPCMAAr5Kz.jpg
    BaPzL5mCQAECAih.jpg
    BWzOuYFIAAAivqM.jpg

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    i do believe the CF thread has migrated over here. I need to get my stuff back out and do something. At least work on some IG models. I could do a couple of my penal squad members.

I just don't know whether to paint them in some kind of prison uniform, or paint them all as individuals, which would be better for me and keep me more interested.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    i do believe the CF thread has migrated over here. I need to get my stuff back out and do something. At least work on some IG models. I could do a couple of my penal squad members.

I just don't know whether to paint them in some kind of prison uniform, or paint them all as individuals, which would be better for me and keep me more interested.

When I was making some Last Chancers with Demo Charges I got some of the old metal catachan demo charge models and painted them orange with little white boxes on the backs of their shirts that I then wrote prison id numbers in with a super fine tipped pen.

The others I tried to make them from vastly different regiments with totally crazy uniforms made out of random parts. They had a unifying red arrow pointing down somewhere on them like the official Last Chancer models.

God I miss the rules for Last Chancers. I took a ton of them with demo charges in an apoc game and equipped them all with voxes. Then used their rule about each model being able to operate solo and deep strike and just dropped them into the middle of enemy units and used the apoc rule to use the voxes to call in orbital strikes on each of my Last Chancers.

Destroyed a Gargant that way. And the Chancer even survived!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Tim what's my Sentinel Pilot's kill count?

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Dayspring wrote: »
    Tim what's my Sentinel Pilot's kill count?

I'd have to check my official list when I get home but it was something obscene. I think you killed some high ranking chaos dude with your foot once.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    and in the game!

• Options
    and in the game!

I thought we weren't supposed to talk about the real life incident due to possible law enforcement implications.

• Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    Uggghhhh I should paint some when I go home again, seeing Dayspring and Asher paint jobs always makes me wanna try some mo'

• Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    I should get into some kinda skirmish game. Any interesting ones out there?

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    I should get into some kinda skirmish game. Any interesting ones out there?

Alas, the best ones are dead.
    And by "Best Ones" I mean Battlefleet Gothic.

Mordheim is also dead, and I really liked that one too.

GW really needs to get busy getting their dead skirmish games into computer format. Bloodbowl is implemented reasonably well, but I need MOAR.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    UrscaUrsca Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    I've been playing a lot of Necromunda recently, which is absolutely infuriating... in the best kind of way?

In a normal wargame you can just play casually, but with a campaign game the continuity of it just makes everything more important. Your guys grow in experience, you get attached to them and then they get mown down by gunfire and die and it's all your fault because you should have done something different. When the gangs are embroiled in combat, every die roll is a tense one - and nothing is a foregone conclusion because the game is random enough that even a lowly Juve with a knife has a chance to kill your perfectly deployed Heavy with the best equipment credits can buy.

And the nature of a campaign game means that little rivalries and stories spring up. You get Chief Sitting Weasel who leads from the back, never achieves anything and then gambles all his gang's money away on cards and booze. Or Wilbertus 'The Wall' de Wit who stands alone against a whole gang and refuses to budge.

So that's fun.

Ursca on
  • Options
    SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    Any thoughts on the new Space Hulk game?

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • Options
    I wish I could play Epic with someone. I have an entire army of Epic scale Squats that I found in a junk store.

• Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    I'd like to get in on Necromunda or Mordheim, just from a real superficial look at them, but I feel like I need some serious hand holding. And I think my wife might just actually enjoy a bunch of swanky looking set pieces. Also, good excuse to get models without buying an army.

Gamewise, can you put together a campaign that lasts a mere weekend? Or does it only shine in the longer run?

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    I've got like 6000 points of Epic chaos.
    Tim, come to Japan and play with me. Also on your way could you swing by the UK and pick up my epic stuff from my family home please kthx

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    Epic seems like such a cool concept

I'm actually surprised that when WH40k came to computers it came as unit/squad control strategy instead of something grander in the style of Supreme Commander

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    I mean

imagine something like this

but with warhammer 40k stuff

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    I've got like 6000 points of Epic chaos.
    Tim, come to Japan and play with me. Also on your way could you swing by the UK and pick up my epic stuff from my family home please kthx

If I went that way it would take even longer!

• Options
    Final Liberation taught me never to fuck with a Commissar.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOi3CzZjV0M

• Options
    Snowbear wrote: »
    Any thoughts on the new Space Hulk game?

It's a faithful recreation of the original tabletop game. It's however not really aimed at the Versus experience and as such not half as fun as the games that are.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • Options
    Final Liberation taught me never to fuck with a Commissar.

Please remain where you are, a Commissariat representative will be with you shortly to "congratulate" you on your adherence to the Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer.

• Options
    SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    Is it possible to play co-cooperatively? with AI controlling the tyranids or what-have-you?

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • Options
    Snowbear wrote: »
    Is it possible to play co-cooperatively? with AI controlling the tyranids or what-have-you?

I haven't played it in a while, but as I understand it they have multiplayer maps (where you coop with a friend) and you can have a friend take control of the genestealers in multiplayer mode.

• Options
    UrscaUrsca Registered User regular
    I'd like to get in on Necromunda or Mordheim, just from a real superficial look at them, but I feel like I need some serious hand holding. And I think my wife might just actually enjoy a bunch of swanky looking set pieces. Also, good excuse to get models without buying an army.

Gamewise, can you put together a campaign that lasts a mere weekend? Or does it only shine in the longer run?
    That rather depends on how many games you can get in and how many gangs are involved.

I'd say they are definitely better long-term, but if you can get a decent arbitrator to come up with custom scenarios, that works too. Even a pair of gangs can be good if you string the battles into a narrative. Stealth missions and bank heists can really liven things up.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I always thought Epic would be the best way to accurately portray an IG army. I always wanted to get my own army, and then right after I got into 40K, they stopped making Epic. When I seriously started to look at BFG, they quit making it too. I need to jsut buy into stuff when it first comes out to have a chance to play it.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Ursca wrote: »
    I've been playing a lot of Necromunda recently, which is absolutely infuriating... in the best kind of way?

In a normal wargame you can just play casually, but with a campaign game the continuity of it just makes everything more important. Your guys grow in experience, you get attached to them and then they get mown down by gunfire and die and it's all your fault because you should have done something different. When the gangs are embroiled in combat, every die roll is a tense one - and nothing is a foregone conclusion because the game is random enough that even a lowly Juve with a knife has a chance to kill your perfectly deployed Heavy with the best equipment credits can buy.

And the nature of a campaign game means that little rivalries and stories spring up. You get Chief Sitting Weasel who leads from the back, never achieves anything and then gambles all his gang's money away on cards and booze. Or Wilbertus 'The Wall' de Wit who stands alone against a whole gang and refuses to budge.

So that's fun.

This is the exact reason I loved Mordhiem. That and reading the Town Cryer in the issues if White Dwarf.

Best guy of my Witch Hunters was my sniper. In one battle managed to kill a rat ogre and have the shot ricochet and kill another model. Dude lost his eye in a previous match. Not sure about Necromunda, but if your models died in Mordhiem, they could be saved but they would also take a wound like losing an eye (range is reduced by 3 inches) or other permanent stat reductions.

After that Rat Ogre kill, hunter dude earned his Eagle Eye bonus (double range).

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular

When Mordhiem was a thing for my local store, they didn't really run campaigns, but the experience levels counted towards your point totals (so a veteran war band wouldn't stomp all over a kid brand new to the game and get more xp). As long as your group agrees beforehand there's no real need to set up an overarching frame other then what's presented (Mordhiem was "Warband travel into ruined city for loot" I'm guessing Necromunda is about gang wars).

And you write your campaign down in a notebook or your head if you wanted a story.

But it's not too difficult to come up with various scenarios. Are you hunting for Wyrdstone? Tracking a person of interest (recruitment or killing)? Looking for a specific artifact? Maybe you decide to attack another Warband at their camp?

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Asher wrote: »
    Infinity is in amazing game, but is *is* really hard to wrap your head around from the rules alone. When Iw as just getting into it, I sat down with a rulebook and a bunch of Imperial Guard and pushed them around the table until things made some kind of sense.

The models are sickballs. This one is one of my favourite sculpts of all time.
    IMG_0157.jpg

I hate that guy for how awesomely good he is (and so pretty, too). Yeah I totally have a BS 14 Spitfire! Yes it could be any of these three guys, and you don't know which because I have a Holoprojector L2! And that he is a WP 14 LT in Panoceania is pretty great too, not a lot of them running around who are also worth taking in their own right.