As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

No one in town is trained to use The Giant Bomb Thread

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Has Blizzard writing always been crap? And did I just not notice it earlier because I was a kid? Or did it degrade with time?

The former seems more likely than the latter.

That's a good question.

I remember Starcraft's plot being okay.

But at that age I also thought Love Hina had good writing.

So who knows, man.

IKknkhU.gif
  • SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    Just put Tera's combat in rift or ff14 or something and we can pack it up

The problem with Tera was there was shit all to actually do in the game

also the elin

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    ...what are you trying to say about Love Hina, exactly?

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
    Radius wrote: »
    ...what are you trying to say about Love Hina, exactly?

That I thought it was good when I was a dumb teenager and now realize it's total shit?

IKknkhU.gif
  • MarsMars Registered User regular
    It'll probably never be feasible because of latency, but my ideal mmo would pretty much just be Demon's/Dark Souls but with the single connected world. My favorite experience from them was a time I joined a game with my super tanky character, and I'd pull huge packs of enemies while the mage and rogue I was with proceeded to unleash hell without needing to worry about their safety, and I felt like if you widened the roles for healing and support and cranked up the enemy capabilities, you could make a much more personal and intimate combat system than most mmos. Every mmo i've played or seen has always felt kind of detached, where it's more about the numbers and ability rotation than the actual physicality of your character.

• RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    next you'll tell me that Evangelion isn't the deepest piece of fiction ever written.

I don't even know who you are anymore.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    elin actually had clothing, I think that's a pretty big step up on the other races

Jars wrote: »
    elin actually had clothing, I think that's a pretty big step up on the other races

I seem to remember "controversy" that the NA release of Tera made the Elin costumes slightly less revealing.

IKknkhU.gif
  • SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    In my head the ideal mmo was also something like dark souls gameplay, with a really in depth crafting system and a lot of weird side abilities like climbing skills and sailing and farming

also the main game would take place on a large central continent and outside that would be a massive generated archipelago full of cool geometry where you could build homesteads or fight over land

SCREECH OF THE FARG on
    gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Has Blizzard writing always been crap? And did I just not notice it earlier because I was a kid? Or did it degrade with time?

Nah. I think Diablo 2 had a good "less is more" approach that really defined the game.

Writing from Marius' point of view for the cinematics was pretty good stuff! Showing you the enemy always being one step ahead from a powerless point of view enhanced their villainy in a good way.

... I think you can pretty easily say that Blizzard's writing has gotten worse. I dunno if they were ever exceptional...

Corp.Shephard on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I've spent many hours dreaming of an MMO in the style of EVE online, but with a medieval, possibly fantasy, setting where combat is in the style of the Total War series.

edited March 2014
    there was, because pervs gonna perv. the censorship was fine, though I was a little disappointed in the quality of it rather than the fact that it was done. I don't find anything inherently pervy about playing a lalafell. it's cute. the people playing catgirls are the ones that seem to do that.

Jars on
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    mount and blade mmorpg

• ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    digimon: digital monsters the movie online

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
    Yeah Lalafell are not at all sexualized

They aren't even treated differently from any other races. There are lalafell characters that are meant to be taken seriously as threats or as old sea captains or as angry drunks starting fights in pubs

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
    super sentai mmorpg

Ivan ooze worst boss fight ever.

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    a tokusatsu mmorpg would be aces

could even base the classes on different archetypes

you've got your super sentai with your zords and megazords, ultramen that grow bigger, kamen riders what have bikes, and metal heroes with shiny armor

• MeldingMelding Registered User regular

having gone back and looked at a lot of blizzard's stuff, They were never better than okay. and honestly, outside of WoW they don't seem exceptionally bad now. WoW is just old and you try writing the same game for like a decade see where you end up.

Which is why it should be quietly put to bed, and they should make warcraft 4.

Antimatter wrote: »
    a tokusatsu mmorpg would be aces

could even base the classes on different archetypes

you've got your super sentai with your zords and megazords, ultramen that grow bigger, kamen riders what have bikes, and metal heroes with shiny armor

yeah totally.

I'd be a rider because jump kicking people so hard they explode is great.

there was one generic quest text that called me voluptuous

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

It was a volume thing.

When there's just a single game or two, there's less room for dumb stuff. But as more things get added, the more stupid things pile up.

Warcraft's lore didn't start getting obviously stupid until War3 with the SUPER AWESOME NIGHT ELVES THAT HAVE ALWAYS BEEN ON THIS OLD CONTINENT THAT IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN THE CONTINENT THAT THE FIRST TWO GAMES TOOK PLACE ON AND THEY'RE SUPER TIED INTO THE ANCIENT HISTORY OF THE WORLD THAT WE'VE NEVER DISCUSSED BEFORE BLAH BLAH BLAH.; WoW just had too much room for stupid, and Burning Crusade went off the deep when when Blizzard couldn't even remember shit they had wrote FOUR YEARS PRIOR.

furry: online

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
    also Shocker would make great mmo villains.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Writing aside, I would like to see Blizzard make a War Craft 4. There are not enough skirmish RTS games out there, imo.

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    In a post on the World of Warcraft forums, Metzen apologized for the difficulties the new lore created, but stood by his revisions, believing that this version grounds the draenei and the eredar more firmly in WarCraft lore (he admitted that he simply forgot the eredar were already demons before they met Sargeras).
    this fuckin guy
    why do various companies hire him

i don't get it

while the overarching story of SC2 was weak I didn't find the writing to be too dopey like diablo 3 or wow. diablo 3's story is a crime against.... something

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I'm really only familiar with Diablo and Starcraft, but Blizzard's strength has always been making interesting characters and races and lore and putting them all together in an interesting universe. And then the scripts are either merely passable or complete crap.

Diablo 3, for example. There's some really interesting stuff in there, and it manages to tie in the older games in a pretty cool way. This time they even manage to give the player characters some pretty fun personalities as well. But oh my god that script and dialogue. Holy shit it's just so bad.

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I hate raiding in MMORPGs

which is sort of the traditional pinnacle of class roles and organization in those sorts of games

super hoping Wildstar doesn't make raiding the end all be all of the game

and maybe I could do other things like high end PvP

which is what GW2 totally let me down on

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
    which boss in icc is the player from the orc campaign in wc2?

remember you follow nerzhul through the dark portal into the twisting nether at the end?

Uriel wrote: »

remember you follow nerzhul through the dark portal into the twisting nether at the end?

saurfang, but it's not him it's his son, they named him dranosh, it means heart of draenor

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
    Heart of the Swarm just pissed me off because I waited 15 years to find out who Duran was, and got a massively unsatisfactory "resolution" that neither showed us what he looked like, or really revealed a damn thing about him that we didn't already know.

FIFTEEN FUCKIN' YEARS!!!

Zay wrote: »

just remembered second life exists

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular

saurfang, but it's not him it's his son, they named him dranosh, it means heart of draenor

that whole thing is my favorite/least favorite part of ICC at the same time

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular

just remembered second life exists

yeah, but its hey day is long over

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
    wait saurfang is the player from warcraft 2?man that is what i get for not reading any of the quest text.

wait saurfang is the player from warcraft 2?man that is what i get for not reading any of the quest text.

well i had to assume, i never placed wc2, but saurfang is the only orc boss in icc

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
    I don't even remember duran being in hots. whoops

Jars wrote: »
    I don't even remember duran being in hots. whoops
    Dr. Narud.

I.E. Duran backwards.

alucard is duran backwards

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
This discussion has been closed.