As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fred Phelps is dead.

The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
After decades of cultivating hatred against other people, Fred Phelps has left this world. He was 84.

He'll be remembered, as far as I'm concerned, as someone with basically no redeeming qualities; an abusive father who decided to dedicate his entire life & career to hating gay people.

OP will remain bare and shitty.

With Love and Courage

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    This doesn't deserve a thread in my non-mod opinion. Dude survived on the attention his vile beliefs afforded him and now that he is passed I think the harshest way to remember him is without much recognition at all

Though I thought it was classy what Lorde's fans did when the WBC came to protest her after his death. But I also know some would see not being vicious back to vicious people as weakness. But I don't think the fight is worth having they literally have no power beyond some minor media attention no major party will listen to them and their followers are mostly phelps. It's like the Partridge family but with hatred instead of talent.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Fred who? Someone forgettable, I assume?

pkwnSBN.jpg

Who are we talking about again? Ah well, They can't have been that important. Anyone want some funeral cake?

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
  • Options
    SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    So it goes.

3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    The amount of feelings that guy generated relative to the actual harm that he did is weird. He's like the most ineffectual villain ever.

Jerry Falwell was worse in so many ways, but he doesn't get the infamy thing like Phelps.

a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    It's not so much the harm he caused as it is the intentionally being an egregious asshole.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Can we not celebrate the death of a man?

I mean I know he was a disgusting human being and did horrible things but now we need to just move on.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Um, no one is?

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Um, no one is?

Russia is dancing like it's 1938

A plane has gone missing with 239 people on board.

There was a landslide in Washington State that's killed eight people so far.

There is also a Science and a History thread.

As far as things this forum should talk and give a shit about Fred Phelps's death isn't one of them.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Feel free to post in other threads then.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    “I don’t even know what they mean by what they are saying,” one member told KSHB-TV.

Dang yo.

Definitely moving towards full on pity for these peeps if they can't understand basic empathy for their loss.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    “I don’t even know what they mean by what they are saying,” one member told KSHB-TV.

Dang yo.

Definitely moving towards full on pity for these peeps if they can't understand basic empathy for their loss.
    Well, Phelps himself was excommunicated from his own church a few years ago for telling his own followers that maybe they should be nicer to one another. Not anyone outside the sect, just each other.

sig.gif
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    The amount of feelings that guy generated relative to the actual harm that he did is weird. He's like the most ineffectual villain ever.

Jerry Falwell was worse in so many ways, but he doesn't get the infamy thing like Phelps.

Yeah, in terms of "cultivating hatred," Phelps is like a really enthusiastic guy with a 4'x4' backyard garden. Falwell was like Monsanto.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Incidentally, they had a protest at the funeral for Falwell because he wasn't anti-gay enough.

Rachel Maddow, did not have obituary for him, and doesn't even mention him by name, but talked about the protests and how they actually ended up bringing out a lot of good in people, and mentions ways that people have tried to mock or block the Westboro people protesting so that those attending the funeral they were at did not have to see or hear them.
    “The Westboro cult, despite itself, has been an inspiration to Americans all over the country wherever they’ve shown up,” she said. “It’s weird to say, but they have indirectly caused a lot of good works out of our own human revulsion at their cruelty.”

http://on.msnbc.com/1hRanND

• Options
    XixXix Miami/LosAngeles/MoscowRegistered User regular
    The nation needs groups like Westboro to exist so that people have motivation to do good in the world.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    My priest did his sermon on this yesterday.

Basic message: false prophets are a still thing.

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Fred Phelps was a terrible person. But like 9/11 or Katrina, he did get a world of uniquely different groups together to fight his stupidity and that is why I'm glad he existed. I just wish he didn't taint Christianity while doing it but that's the nature of the beast. Hopefully history will portray WBC as a insane group of stupid and not a real religious organization.

• Options
    SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    A special thanks to Fred and his organization for giving me just that extra push I needed to completely break away from the organized religion that my wife and I grew up in, and being at least indirectly responsible for two more skeptical agnostic secular humanists in the world.

Samphis on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I guess if you can't be a good example, you can be a horrible warning.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »

Dang yo.

Well, Phelps himself was excommunicated from his own church a few years ago for telling his own followers that maybe they should be nicer to one another. Not anyone outside the sect, just each other.

The more plausible reason for why Phelps was excommunicated was because he'd become mentally and physically infirm and the real leaders of the Phelps clan got tired of paying for his medical bills.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    The Phelps clan were/are grifters. Like half of them are lawyers and they made their money suing municipalities for things done towards them because of their protests. Which makes their hate rhetoric worse, because they don't even have true belief.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Dang yo.

The more plausible reason for why Phelps was excommunicated was because he'd become mentally and physically infirm and the real leaders of the Phelps clan got tired of paying for his medical bills.

Or they were trying to avoid people protesting his funeral.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Dang yo.

Or they were trying to avoid people protesting his funeral.

Honestly I was expecting them to show up at his funeral. But no, actually, they aren't having a funeral for him because, again, funerals cost money.

Fred Phelps started the thing, but his wife has been the real one in charge for some time now.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I don't agree that the world *needs* men like this in order to give people a reason to rise above and show how amazing humanity can be in the face of such hate, intolerance or flat out trolling (see: San Diego Comic Con vs Westboro), but he and his kin certainly have provided a number of opportunities over the years.

The "Sorry for your loss" poster is rising above and beyond the call of duty.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    At the end of the day, I hope the members of his church can look in the mirror and realize that their actions have had the complete opposite effect of what their stated goal was.

They preached their gospel and public opinion only moved further and further away from agreeing with them.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    I don't agree that the world *needs* men like this in order to give people a reason to rise above and show how amazing humanity can be in the face of such hate, intolerance or flat out trolling (see: San Diego Comic Con vs Westboro), but he and his kin certainly have provided a number of opportunities over the years.

The "Sorry for your loss" poster is rising above and beyond the call of duty.
    If I've learned anything, its that if we don't have an example of what not to be we 100% will become that.

• Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    I'm not one to celebrate the death of anyone, no matter how horrible a person they may be.

I am, however, glad that there's one less person spreading hate speech in the world.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    As what i imagine to be a 'decent catholic', I say this man has earned at least a few weeks of swimming in lava. Sure there are people who have done worse things but What i cant stand about the guy is that he presents a bullshit cariacture of what catholics are like and of course the press likes to idolize him as exactly that.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Also, Fred Phelp looks EXACTLY like Henry Kane.

julian_beck_old_small.jpg

n-fred-phelps-large570.jpg

• Options
    azith28 wrote: »
    As what i imagine to be a 'decent catholic', I say this man has earned at least a few weeks of swimming in lava. Sure there are people who have done worse things but What i cant stand about the guy is that he presents a bullshit cariacture of what catholics are like and of course the press likes to idolize him as exactly that.

I have never seen anyone anywhere call Fred Phelps a Catholic much less a Christian. Mainly because it would be a see through lie and also because no one is that dumb.

• Options
    fugacityfugacity Registered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »
    At the end of the day, I hope the members of his church can look in the mirror and realize that their actions have had the complete opposite effect of what their stated goal was.

They preached their gospel and public opinion only moved further and further away from agreeing with them.

What is their stated goal? Their actual goal seems to be to bask in the warmth of hate directed their way and to fuel their own sense of righteousness. I fully believe they know that their protests and appearances are entirely counterproductive to any goal of evangelism. They don't expect to win hearts and minds because god has already damned the world and everybody (but them) in it.

In other words, just another cult, but this one was smart enough to make a splash in the media and courts.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    While I'm not going to celebrate someone's death, I do celebrate the coming end of a hate group's momentum / spotlight. And hopefully their stupid message.

• Options
    fugacity wrote: »

What is their stated goal?

Gods Hates Fags.

If you don't Hate Fags as much as God Hates Fags, then God also Hates you.

Also, we do whatever we think God has told us about Fags so we also Hate you.

Or: lets insult people enough to get them angry enough to be able to sue them to make money.

• Options
    Henroid wrote: »
    While I'm not going to celebrate someone's death, I do celebrate the coming end of a hate group's momentum / spotlight. And hopefully their stupid message.

As I said, it's been his wife's show to run for a while now. Actually there was a schism not too far back when some of the elders realized Fred wasn't in charge any more.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    meh, I'm celebrating. Phelps made it his life's work to make other people miserable and it's good that he's gone.

that being said the celebrating was limited to me lifting a glass and thinking 'huh fred phelps died.' Like all trolls these jokers are best ignored

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    meh, I'm celebrating. Phelps made it his life's work to make other people miserable and it's good that he's gone.

that being said the celebrating was limited to me lifting a glass and thinking 'huh fred phelps died.' Like all trolls these jokers are best ignored

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Yeah phelps death is best remarked that he had the opposite effect and he'll be forgotten like so many hate preachers of their day. I mean who recalls the names of racist preachers of before? Exactly.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    fugacity wrote: »

What is their stated goal? Their actual goal seems to be to bask in the warmth of hate directed their way and to fuel their own sense of righteousness. I fully believe they know that their protests and appearances are entirely counterproductive to any goal of evangelism. They don't expect to win hearts and minds because god has already damned the world and everybody (but them) in it.

In other words, just another cult, but this one was smart enough to make a splash in the media and courts.

Actually, I saw an interview with one of the church members a while back... they don't think they're exempt. They think they're going to hell as well themselves because of the actions of the "fag enablers".

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    Can we not celebrate the death of a man?

I mean I know he was a disgusting human being and did horrible things but now we need to just move on.

We could always celebrate his life, I suppose.