As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[TF2] Map Fortress 2: Pound Nails Into Your Dicks With Hammer!

• UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    Oh shit my fix for Trainsawlaser's voice clips looks like it's going to work (AddOutput).

Time to dig my heels in and do some seriously tedious entity work.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    does that mean you'll have room for more trains/saws/lasers

• turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Is that going to let you drop the entity count? I thought I remembered you saying that you needed 3+ entities per voice clip.

X22wmuF.jpg
    edited March 2014
    Yeah, definitely going to drop the entity count. MAYBE make more room for some more fun.

Basically each sound clip is 3-4 sound entities overlapping to get a loud enough volume. With as many individual clips as there are in TSL, that ends up being about 650 separate entities, each one counted against safe limits to maintain without crashing a server. I was about 200 too far past the comfort zone and under some situations could crash a server.

With this changes I can turn 650+ entities into 4.

4 fucking entities.

However, I have to a TON of leg work to get it to do that. What this fix is doing is changing what file the 4 overlapping entities are about to play, and then immediately playing it. So instead of a huge bank of Clip1, Clip2, Clip3, etc.. it's just Clip1 that gets changed into Clip2 just prior to playing it.

But that means I still have to set it up for every single god damn clip. Is a bitch.

UEAKCrash on
  • KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    crash I did not understand a word of that but it sounds good + also a lot of work

Aaaand I just figured out a way to cut my logic work in half, woohoo!

Instead of having the randomize go <okay pick random> now <change audio file... okay now play it> x 150+ files; it's going <okay pick random AND play the file in .1 seconds> now <change audio file>

If that makes sense.

Basically I only have to have it set up how it's being played once rather than along with every single time I change the file.

Kilroy wrote: »
    crash I did not understand a word of that but it sounds good + also a lot of work

Khaleesi says "welcome to my life."

She has to hear all my logic work because I talk it out out loud to figure it out.

Long story short: Fuck the Source engine for not just letting me play it at whatever volume I want originally instead of me having to figure out all these bullshit work arounds.

okay here is a visual example to make it as simple as possible:

SoundLogic.jpg

The bottom plus the blue things at the top are all the logic running in the current version to play just the "Train Raaaain" clips. I'm turning the huge bank at the bottom into the 4 at the top.

Now like I said, that's just the Train Rain call out work.

This is everything:
    UnsoundLogic.jpg

That all needs to manually be swapped over to my new method.

• xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Most annoying part is that's like 10 minutes of work with a real programming language.

Also you should make your entity room nodraw so people can't find it when they noclip and wonder why it's there. :rotate:

xzzy on
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    JAGERMEISTER.jpg

X22wmuF.jpg
    xzzy wrote: »
    Most annoying part is that's like 10 minutes of work with a real programming language.

Also you should make your entity room nodraw so people can't find it when they noclip and wonder why it's there. :rotate:

That room is an entire different map while I piece it together. In the proper version I just have it all floating above the control point.

Someone on Youtube just asked how I made the writing on Trainsawlaser look so good.

I had to tell them I just did it with a small brush by hand with my mouse in GIMP while I was really really drunk.

• Pablo the PenguinPablo the Penguin Registered User regular
    I you want some ridiculous dubstep crash, just type "<noun> dubstep" into youtube and you'll find something fun garunteed. For example:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVUKPktb8Yk

UEAKCrash wrote: »
    Someone on Youtube just asked how I made the writing on Trainsawlaser look so good.

I had to tell them I just did it with a small brush by hand with my mouse in GIMP while I was really really drunk.

Exactly what I did for the demobowl that none of you have seen yet!

@PMAvers did you get B4 of demobowl uploaded? The server couldn't find it when I tried to set it up this last HONC night.

Also I think I just finally finished converting all the audio to the new logic format, but now I have to insert it into the map without breaking things. The hardest part is over now, at least. Which means unless I run into problems... I might have this update pretty much ready to go.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Apparently I just have up to b3 up there.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    b3 is a stinky turd that you should delete.

b4 is here:

http://xzzy.org/files/games/tf2/demobowl/

Map is to the point where I need to add comedy gimmicks, I'm just not sure what to do yet.

• GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Man, Demobowl makes me want more super vertical maps.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    xzzy wrote: »
    b3 is a stinky turd that you should delete.

b4 is here:

http://xzzy.org/files/games/tf2/demobowl/

Map is to the point where I need to add comedy gimmicks, I'm just not sure what to do yet.

Okay, it's up.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    Gundi wrote: »
    Man, Demobowl makes me want more super vertical maps.

Demobowl got its start by me decompiling thunder mountain and copying the last stage into a new map.. the size of the main area is identical. Everyone always said they wanted that area in its own map so I did it. :rotate:

The CP in b1-b3 was the same size as the last checkpoint but I made it quite a bit bigger for the new one.

Maybe I could turn it into a single stage payload map.

• EidolonOrpheusEidolonOrpheus NoatunRegistered User regular
    Instead of following tracks up and down, the cart jumps

Are you going to submit it to the April Fool's gameday, @xzzy?

I didn't know that was a thing.. I guess I could look into it.

Considering what I did for the texturing in b4 it could very well give all the tf2mappers a seizure which would be pretty good for April 1.

Still need a gimmick though. Best idea I have so far is using the brutal legend taunt particle effect to run a 10 second rock concert when the point is captured.

Oh shit thanks for reminding me about that particle effect. >:)

It's a comically detailed particle effect too. If you ever load up tf2 in tools mode and crack it open, it has like 20 things going on.

And due to the way the particle system works, you can use any of the "sub particles" in your maps as well.

Hey guys, go to Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\media\viewed.res

What's your most played map?
    {
    "koth_trainsawlaser_b4"
    {
    "viewed" "223"

I win.

• PaladinPaladin Registered User regular

{
    "koth_trainsawlaser_b4"
    {
    "viewed" "223"

I win.

that's great crash, but shouldn't you be working on the next most popular map already

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    Most played is Badwater at 77. Second most is Upward at 45.

• gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular

{
    "koth_trainsawlaser_b4"
    {
    "viewed" "223"

I win.

and "viewed" is just the number of times you've loaded into the map and not the number of rounds you've played there, isn't it?

• KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    badwater and goldrush tied at 148

• Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    hightower with 12

... I just did a reinstall last week

• SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    And you've apparently been punishing yourself for it.

• MyNameIsWalrusMyNameIsWalrus Registered User regular
    Uh

I

I guess I've played Badwater 506 times.

gtrmp wrote: »

{
    "koth_trainsawlaser_b4"
    {
    "viewed" "223"

I win.

and "viewed" is just the number of times you've loaded into the map and not the number of rounds you've played there, isn't it?

Definitely. Some of my test maps that don't even have game logic are in there with multiple views.

Upward is my most played official map since my reinstall back in September, at a meager 19 times.

Most viewed period is koth_trainwreck_b8 at 117, which is evidence of how many test builds I did trying to fix those dumb trains.

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Dustbowl at 166. I blame my friends and sister who used to play on my computer.
    Badwater and Goldrush both tied for second, at 128. Surprised that the numbers are relatively small.

• CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Nucleus is my most played map, surprisingly, at 128, followed by Upward at 116.

488W936.png
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Surprised that the numbers are relatively small.
    My guess is the file is pretty new, like within the past year. Which is probably why someone who's played since 2007 hasn't piped up with 5,000 rounds of badlands.

• Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    SirToasty wrote: »
    And you've apparently been punishing yourself for it.

As someone who likes to rocket jump, hightower is an excellent map... outside of that, I'd consider it another 2_fort

This discussion has been closed.