As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

To create a thread about [COSMOS], You first have to create the universe

• doomybeardoomybear Hi People Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Isn't it just the raptors (I forget what they're called) that have feathers, though?

Edit: I found it. Theropoda.

doomybear on
    what a happy day it is
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    doomybear wrote: »
    Isn't it just the raptors (I forget what they're called) that have feathers, though?

Vile slander

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Other than the Scarlett Johansson comment, it's not like wrong to point out than an actress was topless in a film.

The Jodie Foster reference was to a rape scene.

That song was pretty typical of much of MacFarlane's approach to comedy which is:

1. Give a nod to how bad it is to perpetuate a stereotype.

2. Perpetuate the hell out of that stereotype because now it's a parody so people aren't allowed to get mad (unless they're squares).

• N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Not quite finished watching this week's episode, but man, I love this so much. As a former creationist who grew up on creationist textbooks, I'm learning so much about what evolution actually means and how it actually works. I guess that may be old news for a lot of people, but man, I am honestly filling in so many of the scientific gaps I have. Unsurprisingly, a lot of what I was taught evolution meant was a big, fat wheelbarrow of shit lies. It's nice to get a simple, clear explanation of the basics I never learned.

N1tSt4lker on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    N1tSt4lker wrote: »
    Not quite finished watching this week's episode, but man, I love this so much. As a former creationist who grew up on creationist textbooks, I'm learning so much about what evolution actually means and how it actually works. I guess that may be old news for a lot of people, but man, I am honestly filling in so many of the scientific gaps I have. Unsurprisingly, a lot of what I was taught evolution meant was a big, fat wheelbarrow of shit lies. It's nice to get a simple, clear explanation of the basics I never learned.

show is already a success, then

• Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    doomybear wrote: »

Not nearly all theropods would have had feathers. Definitely the raptors, probably some other coelurosaurs, and a few larger tetanurans maybe (edit: yeah looks like a smaller tyrannosaur fossil of the genus Dilong has feathers, so most tetanurans more advanced than the carnosaurs! Which includes the preceding groups)? It's not perfectly monophyletic but most of them seem to follow the same common ancestry at the very least. They also got a lot more common among larger dinosaurs in the Cretaceous, but did exist in the Jurassic (as shown by Archeopteryx and a few other specimens).

Theropods have a huge amount of variation and you'd be surprised which ones are and aren't related!

Mortal Sky on
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I love it when you talk dirty.

• nateknatek unh unh Registered User regular

I would really love to hear more opinions of people coming from a religious background. I was raised Lutheran and took to science and evolution rather easily with no resistance from my parents or extended family. I know the religious side is in the minority on these forums but it is one I don't really understand all too well concerning this subject.

• number13number13 Registered User regular
    Have you ever talked about Isaac Newton... on weed?

oaytjk.jpg

2w3e5cp.jpg
  • FortyTwoFortyTwo strongest man in the world The Land of Pleasant Living Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Robert Hooke is lurking in the shadows....waiting, watching.

Trying to steal your discoveries.

FortyTwo on
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    natek wrote: »

I would really love to hear more opinions of people coming from a religious background. I was raised Lutheran and took to science and evolution rather easily with no resistance from my parents or extended family. I know the religious side is in the minority on these forums but it is one I don't really understand all too well concerning this subject.

What exactly do you not understand, the reason why some people are unable to reconcile religion with science?

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Does anyone else get kinda choked up when good ol Carl's voice pops up now and then?

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    The "Tyson is high talking about Newton" thing was, it turns out, perfectly timed for this week's episode.

• FortyTwoFortyTwo strongest man in the world The Land of Pleasant Living Registered User regular
    I always thought it was Prin"S"ipia, apparently it is Prin"K"ipia. Learn something new everyday.

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    All C's are K's in latin
    That is why Caesar is the Kaiser (or the Tzar)

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Xehalus wrote: »

I'm such a moron, I'm such a stupid fucking monkey goddamnit why is this so funny

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »
    All C's are K's in latin

Here, for some reason, at school level it is taught as "s" and at university level as "k".

• SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Hobnail wrote: »
    I'm such a moron, I'm such a stupid fucking monkey goddamnit why is this so funny
    It is amazing how easy he is to listen to even when in slow motion.

Seg on
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    honestly it wouldn't surprise me terribly if Tyson smoked.

Carl Sagan smoked the shit out of some herb.

ALSO, my old manager at Best Buy totally used to baby-sit Carl Sagan's kids when he lived in New York.

Holy shit I'm watching the newest episode and they totally mention weed hahaha

From the AV Club
    Creationists are mad at Seth MacFarlane’s Cosmos reboot for not giving any airtime to their God-centric theory of the universe. Despite the fact that an estimated 99.99999 percent of scientists—including Cosmos host Neil deGrasse Tyson—absolutely don’t believe in creationism or think it at all possible, groups like Answers In Genesis are claiming that their beliefs should be included. According to Answers’ Dr. Elizabeth Mitchell, the show promotes “blind faith in evolution… in an effort to create interest in science.” (Of course, that’s a rather unfortunate choice of words, considering Answers’ actual faith-based rhetoric, as well as science’s centuries-long history of hypotheses, theorems, and burdens of proof.)

In Cosmos’ defense—not that it needs one—the show does actually address the issue of religion in a smart, realistic way. As The Wire notes, the show “doesn't deny the compatibility of faith, or the notion of God, with the scientific method… Instead, Cosmos posits that belief, any belief, trumps an individual or a society's ability to question, to accept and evaluate different ideas. Historically, those institutions limiting scientific advancement have included organized religion.” Indeed, in the series’ first episode, Tyson told the story of Giordano Bruno, a 16th-century cosmologist who believed the theory that God created the earth in seven days was too limiting. Rather, he believed that God was so great that he could have potentially created all space, not just the planets and stars we can see and touch.

There's some audio at the link

Look, Creationists, you don't get to sit at the big boys' table by throwing a fit.

That is in fact the best way to not get invited to sit at the big boys' table.

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    How about they never get to sit at that table until they stop being creationists?

Weaver wrote: »
    How about they never get to sit at that table until they stop being creationists?

Hey, man, if you can provide concrete evidence that the world is 6000 years old and develop a predictive, useful theory based on that evidence, you will win all of the Nobel prizes forever because that will fundamentally altar everything we understand about pretty much everything in Science.

Of course they won't, because it isn't, but yes, thank you for sledge-hammering the implication out of my post.

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    You can accurately model the force of a sledgehammer strike!

Weaver on
    Weaver wrote: »
    You can accurately model the force the force of a sledgehammer strike!

I have troubles with the math.

honovere wrote: »
    SanderJK wrote: »
    All C's are K's in latin

Here, for some reason, at school level it is taught as "s" and at university level as "k".

Okay, mind kinda blown

Caesar and Kaiser makes even more sense than it already did. I guess it just got anglicized over the centuries. I love history, I learn more and more each day - and then I get to tell my students these things too!

• Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Every time I see creationist react like this I have the same gut reaction

If they want us to prove that evolution is real without using science

I want to them prove that what is in the bible is real without using the bible

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    natek wrote: »

I think experiences would be wildly divergent depending on what exactly the religious background was. A lot of religious people grew up with no trouble incorporating evolution into their worldview with varying ideas on the level of God's involvement in that process. A lot of religious people cannot figure out how to do this because they are tied to a particular idea of how to view the Bible: one that requires a literal interpretation of the opening chapters. As long as their faith requires a literal view of the Creation account, they are forced to reject evolution in order to keep their religious belief. In order to reach this type of person, you cannot solely convince them of the reality of evolution via science, you also have to show them that their religious faith is bigger than a literal view of creation stories. I needed to have both in my process of growth and learning.

I've never understood the view that the Bible, a book completely chock full of people teaching their religion via allegory, metaphor, and symbolism, would also itself some how need to be literally true in the most mechanical sense.

• Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Im looking at it more from the stance of that recent Bill Nye debate

The guy he was debating insisted that the book was 100% factual

And when asked to prove it, his response was always "Well the bible said so"

He spent the other half of the debate talking why the scientific method can't prove evolution

I just don't get why the bible is exempt to the same kind of treatment

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
    Actually, I was really cranky because Bill Nye kept his focus to "why the Creationist assertions about Evolution aren't and can never be science"

and the other guy was like "look at all these things 'Creationists' aren't allowed to do, stop persecuting my people, and oh yeah here's some 'problems' with evolution I guess"

It was a stomach turning display and I got sick of it halfway through, no offense to Mr. Nye.

• DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    There's something on my bucket list; chatting and hanging out with Bill Nye and Neil deGrasse Tyson

What?

chatting and...
    chatting and...
    chatting and...
    chatting and...

Smoking the refer.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
    I think this idea of a literal interpretation of the Bible is relatively recent, and that for a long long long time people were perfectly happy to regard parts of it as metaphorical or allegorical

Of course if I am way wrong on this then someone please correct me

Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I think this idea of a literal interpretation of the Bible is relatively recent, and that for a long long long time people were perfectly happy to regard parts of it as metaphorical or allegorical

Of course if I am way wrong on this then someone please correct me

No thats pretty much correct.

I still think these animated bits in Cosmos are a little bit goofy but they don't ruin the show or anything

Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I still think these animated bits in Cosmos are a little bit goofy but they don't ruin the show or anything

Apparently the live action bits in the originals were just as odd

Oh and there's McFarlane actually doing a voice
    is this the first one?

• XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    they made colliding with Andromeda sound okay

we can be one of the survivors