As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

THE WELEATHERTHREAD (weather thread)

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Man, it is a mess here this morning. The snow turned into a sheet of ice due to unprepared road crews. It's only like 3/4" of snow but even an 1/8" of ice on the roads causes chaos.

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    4:55 AM ADT Tuesday 25 March 2014
    Blizzard warning in effect for:
    •Halifax Metro and Halifax County West

Heavy snow and widespread blowing snow on Wednesday.

This is a warning that blizzard conditions with near-zero visibilities are expected in these regions. Monitor weather conditions..listen for updated statements.

A very intense low pressure system is forecast to develop off Cape Hatteras this evening. The storm is expected to track just south of Nova Scotia on Wednesday before moving on to Newfoundland on Thursday.

The snow is forecast to begin overnight in Southwestern Nova Scotia and spread to the remainder of the province Wednesday morning. The snow is expected to change to rain late in the day over the eastern half of the mainland and Cape Breton. Elsewhere the snow is expected to taper off Wednesday night. Strong winds gusting up to 110 km/h are forecast to develop ahead of the storm on Wednesday and gradually diminish as the system pulls away Thursday. The strong winds combined with heavy snow will cause widespread whiteout conditions in blowing snow. In general about 30 to 40 centimetres of snow can be expected with this system over most of Nova Scotia. Areas of Southwestern Nova Scotia may see upwards of 40 to 50 centimetres of snow before the system pulls away.

Additionally on Wednesday afternoon and evening higher than normal water levels combined with rapidly rising wave activity may produce local flooding along much of the Atlantic coast of Mainland Nova Scotia during the high tide late Wednesday. In the Northumberland Strait water levels are expected to rise Wednesday evening but appear not to coincide with high tide.

Les Suetes winds gusting up to 160 km/h are expected to develop late Wednesday afternoon and diminish Wednesday evening.

Holy shit, @Fearghaill

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    yeah, we're in for good times. This is what it looked like after the storm a decade ago that this one is being compared to.

Bg6aF6iIgAAlmf4.jpg
    Blizzard%202004%20018.jpg

Assuming it turns to rain later in the day as predicted this one shouldn't be as bad, but it's still going to be a goddamn mess and I'm definitely working from home tomorrow.

• wrong_buttonwrong_button Registered User regular
    @Fearghaill‌ wins. That's a lotta snow. We just have annoying flurries that I mostly attribute to just having washed my car.

I like that the dog is all "ain't no thang. I'mma just supervise up here."

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Hi bird thread!

I've got some cool birds in my yard:
    Goldfinches, bluebirds, cardinals, mourning doves (big and dumb...they eat all the food), bluejays (dicks to the small birds), thrashers, chickadees, woodpeckers, purple martins, and bunch of other small birds and robins that I can't pick out.

a5ehren on
  • MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Assuming it turns to rain later in the day as predicted this one shouldn't be as bad,

That sounds like a recipe for flooding, all that frozen water lying around and then it all melting fast while rain falls on it. And streams and gutters being choked with slush and ice so nowhere for stuff to drain and the ground still frozen so it can't soak. That could end up being worse.

I should really get some pictures of the birds that hang out at our feeders. We have a standard feeder, a tall cylinder feeder for thistle seed, a hummingbird feeder, and a suet feeder. We get a pretty similar spread as a5ehren. There's also redwinged blackbirds at our feeder, and a mess of finches. There's at least 3 different kinds of woodpecker that we get as well.

There's also what I believe is a Cooper's Hawk that keeps watch over everything.

Mayabird wrote: »
    Assuming it turns to rain later in the day as predicted this one shouldn't be as bad,

That sounds like a recipe for flooding, all that frozen water lying around and then it all melting fast while rain falls on it. And streams and gutters being choked with slush and ice so nowhere for stuff to drain and the ground still frozen so it can't soak. That could end up being worse.

yyyyyup.

goody

jgeis wrote: »
    I should really get some pictures of the birds that hang out at our feeders. We have a standard feeder, a tall cylinder feeder for thistle seed, a hummingbird feeder, and a suet feeder. We get a pretty similar spread as a5ehren. There's also redwinged blackbirds at our feeder, and a mess of finches. There's at least 3 different kinds of woodpecker that we get as well.

There's also what I believe is a Cooper's Hawk that keeps watch over everything.

That's about the same as my setup, actually. We just use finch socks instead of the cylinder for thistle/nyjer seeds (the finches couldn't figure out how to use it...)

We have a hawk that shows up sometimes (you know when he's around because the other birds get really loud and get the fuck out), along with an owl that I hear every evening but have never seen.

edited March 2014
    I wish we would get an owl, I love owls.

We have fruit trees in our yard (peaches and apples) and sometimes we get bats that hang out in them. I really think bats are neat so I'm always happy when they come around in the summer.

jgeis on
    jgeis wrote: »
    I wish we would get an owl, I love owls.

We have fruit trees in our yard (peaches and apples) and sometimes we get bats that hang out in them. I really think bats are neat so I'm always happy when they come around in the summer.

I put a bat house up when we bought the house a few years ago, but they never moved in. They apparently like the storm drains better here, but every once in awhile you'll see them at dusk.

edited March 2014
    The old city high school used to be behind our house, but it hadn't been used for about 5 years before they tore it down. The old chimney stack became a home for many, many bats in that time. I miss the abundance of bats and the lack of insects during that period.

jgeis on
  • ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    The best(?) part about the storm Fearghaill's posting photos of is the fact that there was pretty much nothing on the ground the day before. That was all one overnight snowfall.

And looking outside - hey! There's pretty much nothing on the ground on this the-day-before!

• ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »

That much will take a while to melt at least. My main annoyance source is going to be the idea of shoveling that much wet snow after the whole thing settles down.

Really ought to just invest in a flamethrower, not least to express my opinion of this sort of weather showing up in late March.

• MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    Well, I was gonna come in here and bitch about springtime snow, but suddenly the little bit MD is getting doesn't seem so bad.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    yesterday it was 67 in seattle, not a single cloud in the sky

now it is back to <50 and our typical grey half-lidded sort of day

• MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    If the weather forecast is to be believed, then tomorrow is the last day of the season to get below freezing.
    One of thing about living here is that weather forecasts are generally correct. I never bothered with them when I lived in Colorado. So here's going the weather starts getting nice.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
    I'm going to assume that's where the Hellmouth opens, right? So we're gonna need crossbows and a boat.

1795609_10153992711850055_2046396432_n.jpg

happy spring!

• PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    This is my cousin's driveway and (roof of) car in prince edward island today

10006945_10154035730005294_361819617_n_zps9cf1b059.jpg

I'm pretty damn jealous.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    We got about 5 inches of snow today here in lovely mid-minnesota.

• GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
  • MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    I was so upset at the rain today. Yes, it was no longer snow, but I wanted a nice sunny day.
    I just know that I am going to look back at this post in the summer and want to smack myself.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    It's getting warm enough here that I am going to be walking to work sans coat

Which is nice, actually

need to get myself a light summer jacket for the rains, though

They closed our Newfoundland and PEI offices today due to snow, and buses were running 15-30 minutes behind schedule due to icy roads

It's like we're in the stereotypical Canada that American tourists expect to find, where it's snowy all year round

We hit 90F yesterday. That was weird.

It was 60 or better last weekend. Now it's snowing.

Seriously, avoid the US midwest if entirely possible. Living in Iowa you should get a liquor stipend for putting up with this stuff.

• VegemyteVegemyte Registered User regular
    In Perth, Western Australia, it is currently

10170839_10202369604696335_1160375019_n.jpg

This cold.

• HermanoHermano Registered User regular

PSN- AHermano
  • SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    In Honolulu, the Myna birds and cardinals refuse to shut the fuck up and the weather continues to be bipolar.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    As much as I like winter, as cold and long as this one has been I'm not particularly excited about moving to an island in the north of Michigan in a month.

It was pretty damned cold last May, I don't even want to imagine what this year will be like.

Although when it started snowing at work last year was pretty awesome.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • CelloCello Registered User regular
    Today's weather: 23 Celsius and rain!

Tomorrow? A low of -5 and snow up to 1 cm.

COME ON, NATURE. STOP TROLLING US ALREADY.

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
    Cello wrote: »
    COME ON, NATURE. STOP TROLLING US ALREADY.

84F just this past Saturday. Woke up to snow on the ground this morning. Apparently we have angered the weather gods.

• SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    Oh gosh guys this weather is just awful

iKITVkJ.jpg

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    I'm so sorry to hear that Sheri! Having so much sun must be awful. Or at least, it would be for me, what with the walking out into it and immediately turning to ash thing. Hurray for incredibly pale skin!

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
    Yeah, but there's probably a bee just out of frame.
    Jealous. So jealous. Not of the bee though.

• SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular