As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Zdeno [Chat]ra

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »
    Wow they put new Thief onsale at record pace

guess it flopped huh

I've heard that the gameplay is regressive compared to older games, that the writing is boring at best and obnoxiously bad at worst, and that the game is a bit glitchy.

Pretty much any one of those is a dealbreaker with me. I figure most people stayed away owing to that press, too.

The only downsides I heard were from people comparing it to Assassins Creed instead of Thief.

Sort of like the Robocop fiasco. Great movie in it's own right, but when you compare it and expect Robocop of the 80s you're going to be disappointed I guess.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    I heard it being freer than assassin's creed

being first person and all

which pleased me because it sounded more like thief

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Yeah the new Thief is a downgrade.

I mean it's not horrible horrible but it's not good really. Average is a fair comparison with games of this generation and bad if you're going by Thief games.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Yay Jimmy Johns samples!

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Has anyone here ever used Petsmart's Pet Hotel for boarding doges?

Gotta board the pups for Pax and they've never been boarded before and I'm sad and I don't want them to be sad...

• Options
    edited March 2014
    let us all take a moment to remember The Cradle, the most pants-pissingly scary level in any game.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    bowen wrote: »
    Wow they put new Thief onsale at record pace

guess it flopped huh

I've heard that the gameplay is regressive compared to older games, that the writing is boring at best and obnoxiously bad at worst, and that the game is a bit glitchy.

Pretty much any one of those is a dealbreaker with me. I figure most people stayed away owing to that press, too.

The only downsides I heard were from people comparing it to Assassins Creed instead of Thief.

Sort of like the Robocop fiasco. Great movie in it's own right, but when you compare it and expect Robocop of the 80s you're going to be disappointed I guess.

That's fair.

I did, though, hear it described as similar to Dishonored but strictly inferior. As far as my own preferences go, that puts buying Thief out of the question; I had only barely been happy to have spent money on Dishonored.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    I am taking all of the animal gifs being posted in here today and chatting them to people at work and I am becoming so popular

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular

Gotta board the pups for Pax and they've never been boarded before and I'm sad and I don't want them to be sad...

I have not but when we boarded my dog we would ask people at the dog park or go on yelp and see what was highly rated

• Options
    Dishonored disappointed me

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular

Petsmart, no. But I board my dogs a few times a year for a weekend or week here and there. It tears me apart, but the honest truth is, there is too much going on in a kennel for them to give a fuck. It's not the same as locking them in a room by themselves for a few days. There are other dogs and smells and food and new people.

• Options
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    I heard it being freer than assassin's creed

being first person and all

which pleased me because it sounded more like thief

Hmm?

From what I hear your character's capacity to move in interesting ways is severely constrained, you're just in a much bigger city.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    I had to get the my account changed drastically on battlenet last night. Like, I had to send them a picture ID and such to get it unlocked. But, surprisingly, they were really quick and the customer service email I got back was very upbeat and perky. Almost comically so. I guess they're trying to keep up a good support image.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular

Dishonored needed more.

Like an entirely open city.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Battlenet's support has always been good for the most part.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    11:00am
    Still haven't heard back from "help" desk
    So I call back and ask them to escalate.
    It's already marked "high priority"
    What exactly does their definition of "high priority" mean???

If I had email access I would be sending so many emails with red exclamation points you don't Evan know

I have a filter in my Outlook that strips priority flags from emails before I even see them.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Trace wrote: »

Dishonored needed more.

Like an entirely open city.

It could have done with having decent art and decent writing, too.

Fun gameplay salvaged it, I think.

• Options
    I am taking all of the animal gifs being posted in here today and chatting them to people at work and I am becoming so popular

I really like this one http://m.imgur.com/gallery/nLzKzM4

But it is right at the top of imgur so you may not get much credit if the recipient is an imgur-viewer

• Options
    surettesurette kill the switch Boston, MARegistered User regular
    surette wrote: »
    I made fun of my wife for lagging behind me in score when we played 2048 together a few nights ago.
    I have a friend who got 4096. Closest I got was having the 2048 and another 1024, but could not make it happen.

Those are both pretty crazy. My best is only 1024 with a 512 kicking around, IIRC.
    I had a couple days where I was procrastinating a lot. Once you get the strategy down you can usually get at least 1024 consistently, if not 2048. Basically just always keep your largest block in a corner.

• Options
    I loved Dishonored. I just feel like it was trying to tell a story and oh here are some game mechanics too. It swerved away from open world freedom to: This is the story we want to tell. I love the dishonored universe. So much so, that I don't even need to see a game with the same characters because they were so thoroughly completed. I would prefer that they built into an open world game. Expand Dishonored 2 out a little bit, maybe 3 is open world. But that's me.

• Options
    I made fun of my wife for lagging behind me in score when we played 2048 together a few nights ago.
    I have a friend who got 4096. Closest I got was having the 2048 and another 1024, but could not make it happen.

Those are both pretty crazy. My best is only 1024 with a 512 kicking around, IIRC.
    I had a couple days where I was procrastinating a lot. Once you get the strategy down you can usually get at least 1024 consistently, if not 2048. Basically just always keep your largest block in a corner.

I told my wife about The Corner Protocol! I told her, bro!

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I also configure Outlook to ignore read receipt requests.

Nothing says "I am a douchebag" more than a low-priority email sent with a high-priority flag and a read receipt request.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    desc wrote: »

But it is right at the top of imgur so you may not get much credit if the recipient is an imgur-viewer

nah i'm sure most people at work don't even know what imgur is

Arch,
  • Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Much and more

Was one that bugged me

There were a couple other phrases but I forget

The "three and twenty" thing for numbers bugs me.

It is just so clunky.

So this is super late, but that is how Danish numbers actually work (and German, incidentally)! How dare you, @Inquisitor! Also there's vestiges of a base 20 system meaning that eg. the word for fifty is like half-sixty (halvtreds). and then 53 would be three and half-sixty.

Yeah, it's pretty dumb. All the other Scandinavians make fun of us for it.

• Options
    We I.T. guys get chips on our shoulders about priority flags fairly easily. Our helpdesk system has several levels, and people always choose "fire".

Fire means that literally an entire department is down and there is a complete work stoppage.

So when you put "fire" on your "my words are too little on my screen..." ticket

We just lose it a little more inside.

That said, Deeb's problem is clearly a tier 2 or 3 issue and you never can tell with those guys. Sometimes they're genuinely overworked and sometimes it's just like..fuck you I am the only one who knows how to fix these problems and if I said it takes 5 hours to do it, nobody is going to contradict me.

• Options

"This cat picture fellow has upper management written all over him. Peterson -- invite him to the senior executive golf game this weekend."

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    I also configure Outlook to ignore read receipt requests.

Nothing says "I am a douchebag" more than a low-priority email sent with a high-priority flag and a read receipt request.

I hate when people do that

you'll know I read it when I respond

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular

my gawd

http://imgur.com/r/aww straight to CEO

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Hella weird novelty gift.

gn8XwjC.jpg

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    i really enjoyed Dishonored. The art was fantastic, so I'm not sure where that criticism comes from?

I did feel that the game was a bit empty/hollow - writing was mediocre, story was weak and eminently predictable, anticlimactic ending, the world was gorgeous and interesting but you barely got to really connect with it, or the people in it - but the gameplay was superb.

• Options
    i just realized that i chat everyone at work these gifs, except for my team lead, who just a month ago was my co-worker and i would chat him these all the time

and even if i did chat them to him now, he would appreciate them

but i don't because he has a slight bit of authority over me

sorry dude

Arch,
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    tumblr_m87bmaKBDv1rbbodpo1_500.jpg

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    We I.T. guys get chips on our shoulders about priority flags fairly easily. Our helpdesk system has several levels, and people always choose "fire".

Fire means that literally an entire department is down and there is a complete work stoppage.

That said, Deeb's problem is clearly a tier 2 or 3 issue and you never can tell with those guys. Sometimes they're genuinely overworked and sometimes it's just like..fuck you I am the only one who knows how to fix these problems and if I said it takes 5 hours to do it, nobody is going to contradict me.

Remember me complaining about when I was marking tickets as "Trivial" in the bug tracker and my boss flipped out because I might insult someone?

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Well, when I say the art was bad I mainly mean that the character models looked hideous. Really just some of the worst stuff to come out of an AAA game in a while.

The colors were good and the non-character models were generally good, but god damn, the character models were awful. The big-hand thing kind of worked in Fable where it was part of a deliberate uniform cartoon style, but I thought it was an exceptionally bad decision to juxtapose cartoonish hands and faces with normal bodies and normal, gritty, semi-realistic everything else.

The idea of the universe is cool but as you said, EM, it's too hollow. They had a few kind of interesting ideas in the abstract but none of the implementation was good or deep.

kedinik on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Mornin', homps.

Three day countdown . . . .

• Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    i just realized that i chat everyone at work these gifs, except for my team lead, who just a month ago was my co-worker and i would chat him these all the time

and even if i did chat them to him now, he would appreciate them

but i don't because he has a slight bit of authority over me

sorry dude

chat them on lunch break, win-win

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    External QA is the worst.

Especially when they're sending you bugs that amount to "this thing happened, thing bad, meak fix!" with no repo steps and marked as "major" even though the description points out it doesn't actually break anything or stop progress.

If they were internal you could at least go talk with them, try to figure things out, but these chucklefucks? nooope.....

*Closes bug*
    *marks will not fix*

sig.gif
  • Options
    I am mad at my friend because she works at a middle school in a class with english as a second language kids and she didn't keep calling the korean boy Anyang

Arch,
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »

Our after hours guys are specifically asked that when a plant calls after hours that unless actual production is stopped that it can wait till the next business day. But unfortunately, the after hours guys really don't know the difference. The callers have kind of figured this out and now everything is a "production stopage". And let me tell ya, I get pretty pissed when I get a call at 3am cause some guy's report was missing the second page.

This discussion has been closed.