As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Lush [chat]

• Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Lets not spend forty pages talking about suits again guys.

nerds need some larnin', trace

cargo shorts and graphic tees are not everywhere uniforms

Look there are some situations where wearing a nice suit is appropriate.

Business meetings of all sorts, funerals and weddings (depending on the wedding, if you plan on partying later at least bring a change of clothes), trials, and anything you need to look or want to look spiffy for. Dates and such, parent teacher conferences and such.

But suits are totally not everyday wear. Function over form and all that.

Maybe I'm just biased because my job as a stay at home dad allows me to wear pajama pants for most of the day when its winter and jeans for the rest of the year when I'm outside digging in the dirt for my garden or playing with the kids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_P7yWnAAd0

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    ugh, I want to go home.

• TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    I SEE YOU POSTIN
    I'M HATIN
    SCROLLIN
    TRYIN TO AVOID LISTENIN TO BAD RAAAAP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvP07yHPuKo

Quick skippy listen to some Louisiana Blues

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I SEE YOU POSTIN
    I'M HATIN
    SCROLLIN

You won't catch me writin' dirty.

• Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod

Business meetings of all sorts, funerals and weddings (depending on the wedding, if you plan on partying later at least bring a change of clothes), trials, and anything you need to look or want to look spiffy for. Dates and such, parent teacher conferences and such.

Maybe I'm just biased because my job as a stay at home dad allows me to wear pajama pants for most of the day when its winter and jeans for the rest of the year when I'm outside digging in the dirt for my garden or playing with the kids.

i wear coat + tie to work every day. the industry i work in - defense contracting - doesn't require it but i like the way i look.

i generally wear the same thing when i go out. it is just how i roll.

if i am going out to something fancy - a nice dinner, the ballet, w/e then i'll wear a full-on suit.

if i stay inside all day i'll wear jammies all day sometimes

if i work outside or go to the gym i dress for that

i treat my suits + jackets like actual garments. i use the pockets, i turn up the collars when it's cold, etc. i don't like the idea of them as pure ornamentation to be only worn in rare instances. my general belief is that most dudes have this mutually-reinforcing cycle of "i hate suits" => "I almost never wear suits" => "i am uncomfortable in suits" => "i hate suits" and i think it's too bad.

getting dressed up nicely can make you look and feel like a million bucks. own it.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    Terraflop sounds like a Captain Planet villain

Or what the ladies describe a night with @nexuscrawler‌ :wink:

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    One year for secret santa rad got me lush stuffs

My skin has never been so exfoliated

On another note it is 1:00 pm and I am drinking whiskey at the ritz carlton. I am in a suit but I still feel underdressed

919UOwT.png
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Mim wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »
    Cinders wrote:
    Writing resumes is fun guys.

Kill me

you can have mine, i just finished updating it

you're a nurse now

with a masters in linguistics

good luck with all that

How did these two end up combining?

A long story. Gimme minute and I'll tell ya

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular

i wear coat + tie to work every day. the industry i work in - defense contracting - doesn't require it but i like the way i look.

if i am going out to something fancy - a nice dinner, the ballet, w/e then i'll wear a full-on suit.

i treat my suits + jackets like actual garments. i use the pockets, i turn up the collars when it's cold, etc. i don't like the idea of them as pure ornamentation to be only worn in rare instances. my general belief is that most dudes have this mutually-reinforcing cycle of "i hate suits" => "I almost never wear suits" => "i am uncomfortable in suits" => "i hate suits" and i think it's too bad.

getting dressed up nicely can make you look and feel like a million bucks. own it.

it's also tremendously expensive to get a nice suit that fits, to get a suit tailored, to get a suit made to measure or full-on bespoke

and, if you wear them regularly, to dry clean them as well

wearing suits regularly is not an option for most men.

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Gonmun wrote: »

hey

HEY

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I am in a dress shirt and dress pants atm.

No tie.

But I have been working on the insides of computers and under desks and such which a tie just gets in the way or dirty. Not exactly work I would wear my suit coat for or a tie for that matter.

Wear what fits your circumstances at the moment.

Seriously that should be your rule.

u7stthr17eud.png
    i find ties very difficult to match as a colourblind so i often don't wear them, even though i like them

• EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    I wear a jacket on the regular

These dainty east coast fingers etc etc

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod

it's also tremendously expensive to get a nice suit that fits, to get a suit tailored, to get a suit made to measure or full-on bespoke

they run a range. it's not that uncommon for streetwear to be as expensive as a modest knockaround suit.

but yeah an upper-end tailored suit can be real expensive and not even as durable as jeans or w/e

Wqdwp8l.png
    I own three suits worth wearing, and one of them is black so I can't really wear it in most contexts

i would own more but mah gah, the cost

• TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Will you're a defense contractor?

Any chance I can get a deal on a tank or something.

Like to see my neighbors jaws drop when they realize that yes their hummer is not a tank.

i find ties very difficult to match as a colourblind so i often don't wear them, even though i like them

you probably just need to work out a system of what you buy.

i assume you are red-green colorblind. both actually work with charcoal suits and slightly less so navy. if you stick with white shirts you can wear either color tie. if you want to wear blue shirts you should probably make sure your ties are red and not green.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Once pax east comes and goes male fashion talk will subside again, so it's nice to enjoy it in this brief summertime of our happiness

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin

they run a range. it's not that uncommon for streetwear to be as expensive as a modest knockaround suit.

but yeah an upper-end tailored suit can be real expensive and not even as durable as jeans or w/e

that's another thing

nice suits are fragile fragile garments

sos I only take mine out for occasions that deserve it.

Rest of them are dress slacks and a nice button up long sleeved shirt of some dark color or another

I'm tying this with my arms hanging over my giant acoustic guitar and it is hard as fuck

Like to see my neighbors jaws drop when they realize that yes their hummer is not a tank.

i've only worked in satellites, intelligence, radar, battlefield simulation and now advanced projects.

no real military hardware contacts sry :(

Wqdwp8l.png
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I SEE YOU POSTIN
    I'M HATIN
    SCROLLIN

Skippy.

We beefin now bro.

We beefin.

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    I want to own nicer suits than my two chintzy suits, one of which has messed up pants

However I have spent a million bucks on my car and am buying new tires this weekend

So I guess suit buying is on hold but I am going to j crew in a month or so

That is my contribution to Suit Talk 3/25/14

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I got my suit on Black Friday so it only ran around $200. Plan to get the next one the same way.

I've easily dropped that much on woot.shirt.

hey

HEY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uoOVzZ_uoM

~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    I want to own nicer suits than my two chintzy suits, one of which has messed up pants

However I have spent a million bucks on my car and am buying new tires this weekend

some of these car dollars better have been for ECU flash

also what color denim did you get

(I hope grey, but I will settle for black)

i've only worked in satellites, intelligence, radar, battlefield simulation and now advanced projects.

no real military hardware contacts sry :(

hey Chat would you all be okay in a giant paintball fight ala Community arranged by our most favorite of favorited mods?

because battlefield simulation world war chat would be so fun

also you need to sign this waiver chat

Also even just a sports coat and jeans go a long way I've found.

Went to the ANC with friends and they were all surprised I put in so much effort to dress up.

And I was kinda dumbfounded since the effort consisted entirely of putting on pants and a jacket.

My charcoal suit with small pin stripes pants need repairs. So I am stuck with the black suit(I have reasons for keeping one around) atm. I didn't bring my gold or blue suit coats with me because they don't fit right.

My current buying list for cloths are some nice slacks, probably 2 pairs, some more white shirts and probably a blue suit coat but not one that is super fancy so I can have it regulated to work clothing. The charcoal suit will then be regulated to nice clothing because it looks the best.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular

some of these car dollars better have been for ECU flash

also what color denim did you get

(I hope grey, but I will settle for black)

No, all repairs : (

I need ECU reflash and new suspension soon (96k mi wear on it)

I got indigo although that gray was cool

I dunno

I usually just get dark indigo jeans : o

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Mim wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »
    Cinders wrote:
    Writing resumes is fun guys.

Kill me

you can have mine, i just finished updating it

you're a nurse now

with a masters in linguistics

good luck with all that

How did these two end up combining?

Guessing she gets all the esl patients.

My wife had a patient once that rolled up speaking some ancient Mayan dialect. The kid spoke pidgin Spanish apparently, but the parents didn't. The company they contract with for translators (for basically anything besides Spanish) had to fly in this like one professor from somewhere that could translate it to English. Crazy stuff.

that's another thing

nice suits are fragile fragile garments

sos I only take mine out for occasions that deserve it.

Rest of them are dress slacks and a nice button up long sleeved shirt of some dark color or another

I'm tying this with my arms hanging over my giant acoustic guitar and it is hard as fuck

a nice suit shouldn't be as fragile as you probably think it is. wool is durable stuff and mens' suits + sportcoats (unless you buy a fashion brand) are constructed to be worn for decades.

i mean you go to a thrift store and it's racks and racks of suits and sportcoats from decades ago. granted part of this is that they are valued more and sometimes worn less, but it's largely that these are robust garments for everyday wear.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    I SEE YOU POSTIN
    I'M HATIN
    SCROLLIN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9qYF9DZPdw&feature=kp

ed- And yes that is Key and Peele like 10 years ago

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
    edited March 2014
    Guys far more important fashion question: My new hand wraps have arrived which color should I take to class tonight? Steel Blue or Burnt Crimson?

Quid on

you probably just need to work out a system of what you buy.

i assume you are red-green colorblind. both actually work with charcoal suits and slightly less so navy. if you stick with white shirts you can wear either color tie. if you want to wear blue shirts you should probably make sure your ties are red and not green.

i have trouble with red and green, but in general i see far fewer shades and have trouble differentiating similar colours (or find colours similar when other people see them as starkly different, even vividly contrasting colours)

beige and light green look almost identical to me when they're not highly saturated, for example.

I have a navy suit, light grey suit, and black suit. i have yet to find a decent charcoal one while shopping, but i might actually get one made since charcoal is one of the most widely applicable colours. most of my ties are some variety of blue, because blue is easiest for me.

i realized the other day that i am almost always wearing some combination of earth tones - rich browns, tans, olives, etc - and blues, and occasionally red, because those contrasts are very pleasing to me and i can, like, actually see them

Quid wrote: »
    Guys far more important fashion question: My new hand wraps have arrived which color should I take to class tonight? Steel Blue or Burnt Crimson?

Crimson.

u7stthr17eud.png
    like those colour vision tests where the closer to 0 you get, the better your vision is?

most people get between 30 and 80.

i get something like 432.

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

hey

HEY

I will cut you

• STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    like those colour vision tests where the closer to 0 you get, the better your vision is?

HIGH SCORE!!!

Please enter your initials.

I do well for a male.

I average like 34 or something.

u7stthr17eud.png

hey

HEY

I will cut you

Oh admit it. You missed our little back and forth's.

This discussion has been closed.