As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Lush [chat]

• cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    I get one new suit maybe once a decade at this point. The damn things are just too expensive. Oh and I didn't mind wearing it. The Brooks Brothers one I got in 2001 that was tailored had the most comfortable pants I owned ever. But, between work and my lifestyle, there was just no time to really wear it outside of special occasions. And funny enough, for me its not the suits that I mind as a garment. I just tend to dislike "dress up" occasions and places. Snazzy restraunts with low lighting where people speak quitely drive me nuts and no one likes funerals. So the unfortunately, suits simply have an association with me with things that I don't enjoy.

But I also have zero sense of fashion so that probably doesn't help either.

cptrugged on
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    My Dude Clothing bookmark collection has exploded over the last few weeks

I blame irond will mostly

• STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Irond Will is [chat]'s greatest monster!

• Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    Irond Will wrote: »
    i find ties very difficult to match as a colourblind so i often don't wear them, even though i like them

you probably just need to work out a system of what you buy.

i assume you are red-green colorblind. both actually work with charcoal suits and slightly less so navy. if you stick with white shirts you can wear either color tie. if you want to wear blue shirts you should probably make sure your ties are red and not green.

i have trouble with red and green, but in general i see far fewer shades and have trouble differentiating similar colours (or find colours similar when other people see them as starkly different, even vividly contrasting colours)

beige and light green look almost identical to me when they're not highly saturated, for example.

I have a navy suit, light grey suit, and black suit. i have yet to find a decent charcoal one while shopping, but i might actually get one made since charcoal is one of the most widely applicable colours. most of my ties are some variety of blue, because blue is easiest for me.

i realized the other day that i am almost always wearing some combination of earth tones - rich browns, tans, olives, etc - and blues, and occasionally red, because those contrasts are very pleasing to me and i can, like, actually see them

hmm it sounds like you have already given it some thought. can you easily distinguish between navy and charcoal? (this is even hard for people with good vision in low light)

i have a couple tan/ brown suits and i love them but brown/ tan is a pretty casual suit color. most dudes don't have much use for a casual suit these days so ymmv on that.

i guess i'd recommend finding a few color combinations that you can actually see and sticking to those. like, your khaki + red and khaki + blue are solid combinations. for suiting you actually won't run into too many problems with navy/ charcoal + the colors you like. it would get tricky if you were trying to do something with like green or red suits but those barely even exist.

the most important thing in matching is to not approximate colors too much - navy + black looks terrible because the colors are not sufficiently distinct. as long as you can perceive chroma value - basically lightness/ darkness - and otherwise know that you don't have like yellow or pink shirts in your wardrobe you should be golden.

Wqdwp8l.png
    How is suitsupply btw

• japanjapan Registered User regular
    Ahahaha

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/citroen/ax/106-gti-powered-ax-wolf-in-sheeps-clothing/1984351
    So, Project S***box, where to begin. Basically a friend crashed his 106 GTi when drunk, and I decided it would be amusing to stick the engine in my AX. Not an AX GTi, but a base model with steel wheels and no body kit. Oh, and faded red paintwork. I mean properly matt finish from too many years of sitting in the sun. No rust at all, solid as a rock, just faded paint. She looks like a rotter, but is solid, and comfortably keeps up with Civic Type Rs, Clio 197s, etc. etc. This always puts a smile on my face and an expression of bewilderment on their's.

Anyway, engine and gearbox are 106 GTi, as is the entire front suspension assembly. It has 306 GTI6 discs and calipers and 106 GTi master cylinder. Exhaust is 106 GTi manifold and downpipe, with AX GT centre and rear section. Rear axle is 106 Quicksilver (I didn't think the hassle of messing about with discs at the rear was worth it). She also sports a lovely pair of fake side exit exhausts on the front bumper, which never fails to generate questions from most people.

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    2:00 pm: tech arrived. Plugged the Ethernet cable into my phone and says "this might be the problem". It was not

2:05: tech says "what the hell is wrong with this thing?" I go and have a cigarette

2:15: return to my office. Tech is gone. Laptop is gone. There is no note. I am back in detention mode.

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    I want to own nicer suits than my two chintzy suits, one of which has messed up pants

However I have spent a million bucks on my car and am buying new tires this weekend

So I guess suit buying is on hold but I am going to j crew in a month or so

That is my contribution to Suit Talk 3/25/14

some of these car dollars better have been for ECU flash

also what color denim did you get

(I hope grey, but I will settle for black)

No, all repairs : (

I need ECU reflash and new suspension soon (96k mi wear on it)

I got indigo although that gray was cool

I dunno

I usually just get dark indigo jeans : o

desk

• KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    My Dude Clothing bookmark collection has exploded over the last few weeks

I blame irond will mostly

Did he hack your account?

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
    edited March 2014
    I want to own nicer suits than my two chintzy suits, one of which has messed up pants

However I have spent a million bucks on my car and am buying new tires this weekend

So I guess suit buying is on hold but I am going to j crew in a month or so

That is my contribution to Suit Talk 3/25/14

some of these car dollars better have been for ECU flash

also what color denim did you get

(I hope grey, but I will settle for black)

No, all repairs : (

I need ECU reflash and new suspension soon (96k mi wear on it)

I got indigo although that gray was cool

I dunno

I usually just get dark indigo jeans : o

desk

Skup

Edit: ._.

Edit 2: I own one pair of black jeans but they feel too lose now

Like dad jeans

desc on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    How is suitsupply btw

i think that @eddy or maybe @Casual Eddy‌ or @Shazkar Shadowstorm‌ might have bought from them. i haven't.

Wqdwp8l.png
    Irond Will is [chat]'s greatest monster!

Suit privilege all ins eh?

• TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
  • GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    2:00 pm: tech arrived. Plugged the Ethernet cable into my phone and says "this might be the problem". It was not

2:05: tech says "what the hell is wrong with this thing?" I go and have a cigarette

2:15: return to my office. Tech is gone. Laptop is gone. There is no note. I am back in detention mode.

How the fuck would plugging it into the phone fix the damn problem? O_o

~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Suitsupply is great in general. Some of their stuff is pretty daring and I don't like their new thing for super peaked lapels but their conservative stuff is fine. They tend to hem their pants shorter which was a trend for a bit but some people really don't like that.

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
    Quid wrote: »
    Guys far more important fashion question: My new hand wraps have arrived which color should I take to class tonight? Steel Blue or Burnt Crimson?

Burnt crimson

Go bold and make an impression

• DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Gonmun wrote: »

VoIP phones usually have pass-through for your desk computer.

The best thing about them is their custom tailoring where you can handpick the lining, etc, but that shit is super expensive and foppish

Eddy wrote: »
    Suitsupply is great in general. Some of their stuff is pretty daring and I don't like their new thing for super peaked lapels but their conservative stuff is fine. They tend to hem their pants shorter which was a trend for a bit but some people really don't like that.

Taking notes furiously, nodding

I'd like to get a Mao suit. I think it'd work

• PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    "Can I ask you a question?"

Just no good way to respond to that. Other than "sure" I guess but even that seems really boring after the 10th or 20th time that day

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
    edited March 2014
    we had to put ~$500 into sarah's car a few weeks ago I was kinda mad like we should just sell this!

but it's paid off so it's nice to not have that second car payment and I guess we do need something a little bigger for babx2

I want her to get one of those 4-door wranglers but wranglers never drop in price ever

original MSRP is just what you will pay for one with 100k mi sorry fuk u gg

skippydumptruck on
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    I still cringe every time I think a year or two back when I was first thinking about getting a suit and I kept trying to find this god damned Bespoke brand everyone was talking about.

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    japan wrote: »
    Ahahaha

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/citroen/ax/106-gti-powered-ax-wolf-in-sheeps-clothing/1984351
    So, Project S***box, where to begin. Basically a friend crashed his 106 GTi when drunk, and I decided it would be amusing to stick the engine in my AX. Not an AX GTi, but a base model with steel wheels and no body kit. Oh, and faded red paintwork. I mean properly matt finish from too many years of sitting in the sun. No rust at all, solid as a rock, just faded paint. She looks like a rotter, but is solid, and comfortably keeps up with Civic Type Rs, Clio 197s, etc. etc. This always puts a smile on my face and an expression of bewilderment on their's.

Anyway, engine and gearbox are 106 GTi, as is the entire front suspension assembly. It has 306 GTI6 discs and calipers and 106 GTi master cylinder. Exhaust is 106 GTi manifold and downpipe, with AX GT centre and rear section. Rear axle is 106 Quicksilver (I didn't think the hassle of messing about with discs at the rear was worth it). She also sports a lovely pair of fake side exit exhausts on the front bumper, which never fails to generate questions from most people.

Haha. Reminds me of a guy I used to know. He had a shitty-looking, beat-up, rusted Golf. He and my other acquaintance put a GTI engine in it as practice along with a bunch of other performance mods. I don't remember the specs, I just remember that it was fast but looked like junk. They'd take it to track days and get a good laugh out of peoples' reactions.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    cptrugged wrote: »
    I get one new suit maybe once a decade at this point. The damn things are just too expensive. Oh and I didn't mind wearing it. The Brooks Brothers one I got in 2001 that was tailored had the most comfortable pants I owned ever. But, between work and my lifestyle, there was just no time to really wear it outside of special occasions. And funny enough, for me its not the suits that I mind as a garment. I just tend to dislike "dress up" occasions and places. Snazzy restraunts with low lighting where people speak quitely drive me nuts and no one likes funerals. So the unfortunately, suits simply have an association with me with things that I don't enjoy.

But I also have zero sense of fashion so that probably doesn't help either.

Snazzy? yes please

Snazzy restaurant? Even better

Snazzy restaurant with low lighting? what other sort of lighting would you want? This is great!
    people speaking quietly in a snazzy restaurant with low lighting? this sounds perfect!

... drives me nuts?

wat

You are a broken man.

spool32 on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

Dell laptop?

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    I will say that I'm very very glad that "business casual" is the standard now. It almost pained me to look at old newsletters from our company from the 80s with dudes digging around in server rooms wearing an 80s power tie.

• GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    Delmain wrote: »
    Gonmun wrote: »

VoIP phones usually have pass-through for your desk computer.

I understand that but did he think that Dee's comp was plugged into a bad jack previously? If that was the case then wouldn't he have seen something other then not being able to authenticate on the network?

~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
    If you're thinking about suitsupply, I'd prefer the j crew ludlow line over it. It's cheaper and the cuts are just as good

god finally we're getting some much needed rain

it's been two days of sun, was worried about drought

Ludious wrote: »
    I still cringe every time I think a year or two back when I was first thinking about getting a suit and I kept trying to find this god damned Bespoke brand everyone was talking about.

Wait, is this a bit?

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »

OFA made that?

That actually pisses me off a lot. I am legitimately angry at that. Trolling successful! Also, OFA demonstrates the all worst instincts of the progressive caucus, in a single image.

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Kalkino wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »

Wait, is this a bit?

Nope. I genuinely thought Bespoke was a namebrand.

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    spool32 wrote: »

OFA made that?

That actually pisses me off a lot. I am legitimately angry at that. Trolling successful! Also, OFA demonstrates the all worst instincts of the progressive caucus, in a single image.

I don't see how OFA using the gadsden flag is any more offensive than the tea party using it.

EDIT: Honestly I think it kind of drives home a point about what is freedom in the modern word. Liberty, or security?

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    peaked lapels make you look like an anime character

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    i cannot wait to stop buying my man clothes at walmart

you guys have no idea

i need to find a similar value but of a higher quality somewhere because this ish is atrocious but poooorrrrr

steam_sig.png

OFA made that?

the gadsten flag was already a bullshit appropriation by the tea party people

they don't own it

so basically fuck em

Wqdwp8l.png
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »

Dell laptop?

y
    are you a wizard?

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular

OFA made that?

you bleeding-heart conservatives, always getting offended by something.

This discussion has been closed.