As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Lush [chat]

• Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    OH MY GOD GUYS THE LEAD SINGER OF NEON TREES IS GAY
    HOLY
    FUCKING
    SHIT
    I NEVER SAW THAT COMING

I'm happy that he came out because mormon and from provo. We need someone to rock the boat a little bit and make them feel uncomfortable.

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    desc wrote: »
    There was a pensive looking young lady in a black hoodie and black skinny jeans sitting at the table next to mine in this food court and I didn't say hi

What is wrong with me

dasuberedward beat me up pls

@desc here ya go!

Hopeless_-_Secret_Hearts.jpg

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Solo, whatever else Obamacare is, it is most emphatically not people working together for a common good.

It is people being forced to participate, and though the goal is laudable, let's not pretend there's any voluntary component or community-oriented thought involved. You're doing Obamacare in this country whether you like it or not.

Snake symbolism: "Join or die"
    Obamacare: "Join or get a small fine"

1% of your personal income isn't small. And that fine will grow over the next two years.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    Trace wrote: »

OFA made that?

That actually pisses me off a lot. I am legitimately angry at that. Trolling successful! Also, OFA demonstrates the all worst instincts of the progressive caucus, in a single image.

I don't see how OFA using the gadsden flag is any more offensive than the tea party using it.

EDIT: Honestly I think it kind of drives home a point about what is freedom in the modern word. Liberty, or security?

Yes, it does drive home that point, but not the way you think.
    WAR IS PEACE
    FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
    IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

I'm not even sure what you mean by this?

I see it this way:

The traditional idea was that liberty from regulation/taxation was freedom. That's the thrust behind the original flag and the american revolution. (The romanticized versions, anyway.) "Don't take away my liberty!", essentially.

I don't think this applies in the modern world. I don't think liberty is the most important part of freedom, but security. So the message is subverted. "Don't take away my security!"

Granted, it's always going to be a balancing act between the two. You must have some of both, but I will contend that in the US there is far to much liberty. Enough for the rich to do as they please and for the poor to hang themselves.

Congratulations, you've discovered a political philosophy position over a century old called liberalism. (or, more specifically, Reform/Modern Liberalism) Don't be nervous about it, this shit has been around since before the Gilded Age when it really came to prominence.

At it's simplest, modern liberalism says that freedom from is meaningless without the freedom too. Or basically the old "In its majestic equality, the law forbids rich and poor alike to sleep under bridges, beg in the streets, and steal loaves of bread." saying.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    This is what I think about the Gadsden Symbol as it relates to Teepers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti4sqG85FU4

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    enhanced-buzz-9122-1305147333-55.jpg

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    darth waifu

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Solo, whatever else Obamacare is, it is most emphatically not people working together for a common good.

It is people being forced to participate, and though the goal is laudable, let's not pretend there's any voluntary component or community-oriented thought involved. You're doing Obamacare in this country whether you like it or not.

Its almost like you don't understand that the government is the means by which a society works together.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    japan wrote: »

OFA made that?

That actually pisses me off a lot. I am legitimately angry at that. Trolling successful! Also, OFA demonstrates the all worst instincts of the progressive caucus, in a single image.

I'm curious, but why would that make you angry? Is it the image or the statement?

I am possibly jaded by the extent to which UK political groups engage in pointed ridicule.

the gadsten flag appropriation by conservatives was basically cheap ridicule/ criticism of the obama administration by likening them to king george's tyrannical colonial gov't.

it's all a giant whatever.

which is funny because fyi we were really nice... probably the nicest...

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    There was a pensive looking young lady in a black hoodie and black skinny jeans sitting at the table next to mine in this food court and I didn't say hi

What is wrong with me

@dasuberedward beat me up pls

The universe has provided this experience to spur you to better yourself. Next time, you will be ready.

The girl is seated near you. You place a paper crane on the table in front of her. She looks up at you, and then back at the crane only to see it burn to ash. Again she looks up. You whisper "impermanence" and walk away.

She looks down again - the ashes of the paper crane briefly take the shape of your phone number before being carried away by the wind.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

1% of your personal income isn't small. And that fine will grow over the next two years.

None of this would be happening if we were allowed to have gone to a socialized healthcare system when it was first carted around...

but 100 bucks for every 10,000 you make is reasonably small, at first. Eventually it just makes sense to get healthcare as opposed to paying the tax penalty... which is kind of the point.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    edited March 2014

OFA made that?

I don't see how OFA using the gadsden flag is any more offensive than the tea party using it.

EDIT: Honestly I think it kind of drives home a point about what is freedom in the modern word. Liberty, or security?

Yes, it does drive home that point, but not the way you think.
    WAR IS PEACE
    FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
    IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

I'm not even sure what you mean by this?

I see it this way:

The traditional idea was that liberty from regulation/taxation was freedom. That's the thrust behind the original flag and the american revolution. (The romanticized versions, anyway.) "Don't take away my liberty!", essentially.

I don't think this applies in the modern world. I don't think liberty is the most important part of freedom, but security. So the message is subverted. "Don't take away my security!"

Granted, it's always going to be a balancing act between the two. You must have some of both, but I will contend that in the US there is far to much liberty. Enough for the rich to do as they please and for the poor to hang themselves.

I think this is chilling, and mildly dangerous. If you were running for office on this platform I would expend every ounce of energy I could muster to prevent you from succeeding.

Chilling, mildly dangerous and the driving idea behind western governments since at least the end of the WWII. (realistically longer then that)

I love this conversation.

shryke on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    a lot of important communal civil functions are involuntary

like taxes, etc.

the foundation of state governance is essentially the same principle as capitalism: people are selfish and we must construct a system in which their selfishness makes them act for the common good

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    @surrealitycheck‌ yooooooo I am at my bro's and setting up his skiep

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular

OFA made that?

I'm curious, but why would that make you angry? Is it the image or the statement?

I am possibly jaded by the extent to which UK political groups engage in pointed ridicule.

the gadsten flag appropriation by conservatives was basically cheap ridicule/ criticism of the obama administration by likening them to king george's tyrannical colonial gov't.

Until Paul Revere lied about the Boston Massacre to make a big deal out of nothing

Until your lobsterbacks viciously slew a bunch of Bostonians with no provocation.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    But reworking it to champion a massive Federal government subsidy program that comes complete with its own state-enforced mandatory punishments for citizen noncompliance, the very antithesis of the individualism represented by the flag, and especially for Obama's personal "grassroots" organizing group to do so, upsets me very much.

2soatd3muy44.png

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    PantsB wrote: »

Its almost like you don't understand that the government is the means by which a society works together.

It's almost like I'm trying to be serious and you're mocking me.

I should take skippy's advice, and gooey's advice, and not have opinions out loud.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    cptrugged wrote: »
    I get one new suit maybe once a decade at this point. The damn things are just too expensive. Oh and I didn't mind wearing it. The Brooks Brothers one I got in 2001 that was tailored had the most comfortable pants I owned ever. But, between work and my lifestyle, there was just no time to really wear it outside of special occasions. And funny enough, for me its not the suits that I mind as a garment. I just tend to dislike "dress up" occasions and places. Snazzy restraunts with low lighting where people speak quitely drive me nuts and no one likes funerals. So the unfortunately, suits simply have an association with me with things that I don't enjoy.

But I also have zero sense of fashion so that probably doesn't help either.

Snazzy? yes please

Snazzy restaurant? Even better

Snazzy restaurant with low lighting? what other sort of lighting would you want? This is great!
    people speaking quietly in a snazzy restaurant with low lighting? this sounds perfect!

... drives me nuts?

wat

You are a broken man.

No. I am not. This was actually kind a recent revalation between my wife and I.

I have always hated her favorite restraunt in Atlanta. It's a place called Cafe Intermezzo. Its mostly a drink and dessert place with low lighting that you see a ton of well dressed people on dates and such. Well we recently tried this new Japanese restraunt in our neighborhood. We currently live in a really nice area and so this place ended up being very nice, dimly lit and everyone speaking quitely. I hated it. That's when I really thought about why I was so often miserable in places like that and what it had in common with other places I didn't care for.

I think it comes down to comfort. I don't like snazzy, rich type places cause I'm not and I hate having to pretend like I am. I hate the idea of putting on airs. The whole thing just makes me miserable. I feel like I have to sit there and be quiet. Ugh.

you do!

i mean you have to keep your voice to a reasonable volume anyways.

Ha! It frustrates my wife to no end. She can't stand it when my normally very conversation happy self just sits there quitely waiting to finish dinner and leave.

That's weird.

You're being weird.

If everyone else is talking in that place why do you feel you have to sit there quietly? Just match the din of the environment and enjoy yoself, son.

It is weird. I admit it.

Its one of the few situations where I actually feel like I can't be myself. And that is rare for me. The LoL JV team will tell ya. I usually give no fucks what people think of me. You take me or you leave me, if you don't want to hang then fuck you. I'm too old to be worried what people who mean nothing to me think of me.

Except in fancy, rich people situations. I just freeze up.

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

None of this would be happening if we were allowed to have gone to a socialized healthcare system when it was first carted around...

but 100 bucks for every 10,000 you make is reasonably small, at first. Eventually it just makes sense to get healthcare as opposed to paying the tax penalty... which is kind of the point.

Yeah, I have a feeling that in practice, no one's going to be paying 1% of their income. Unless it's a stupid personal stand.

For the wealthy, it'll be cheaper to buy health insurance. For the non-wealthy, everything will be subsidized so it'll be cheaper to buy health insurance.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    America is far too concerned about its freedom-to and not nearly concerned enough about its freedom-from

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular

It's almost like I'm trying to be serious and you're mocking me.

I should take skippy's advice, and gooey's advice, and not have opinions out loud.

It would be the nicest christmas present anyone has ever gotten me

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

i like that even more when i imagine that qui-gon is supposed to be jesus

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular

OFA made that?

Until Paul Revere lied about the Boston Massacre to make a big deal out of nothing

Until your lobsterbacks viciously slew a bunch of Bostonians with no provocation.

also did u no that in british america every american got his own pet riding monkey for help with transportation and agricultural work

little known fact

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited March 2014
    1) people & their lives
    2) food & drinks
    3) clothes + fancy shit
    4) vidja
    5) movies
    6) doge
    7) how terrible nerds and hippies are
    8) skippys peltscalp
    9) how terrible japan is

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular

OFA made that?

Wait, you mean the American Revolution wasn't about a small group of wealthy businessmen/landowners setting themselves up as the new oligarchs?

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular

Yeah you could say the same thing about the federal highway system though

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Healthcare systems even if they are fully private(which the US has never had) still require a buy in the population due to healthcare being something that at some point you will use. And when you utilize it will not be cheap in the long run. So the healthy subsidize the unhealthy. Money is spread around that way, this is insurance.

Obamacare just makes it so either you pay the penalty to the government which is then used to subsidize the sick with insurance or you pay an insurance company, gain some benefit and still subsidize the sick who utilize it more. The system in general has not greatly changed at its core, the government has just come in and said, you must help those who need it and gain a benefit or pay a fine and we will take the money and put it towards those who need it.

It is not tyranny it is solving a problem with in the system in a clunky way.

If we went to straight single payer you still would have 0 choice when it came to paying into the pot. It would just mean you always get benefits from it.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    TL DR wrote: »

What is wrong with me

@dasuberedward beat me up pls

The universe has provided this experience to spur you to better yourself. Next time, you will be ready.

The girl is seated near you. You place a paper crane on the table in front of her. She looks up at you, and then back at the crane only to see it burn to ash. Again she looks up. You whisper "impermanence" and walk away.

She looks down again - the ashes of the paper crane briefly take the shape of your phone number before being carried away by the wind.

*jots down notes*

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Feral wrote: »

i like that even more when i imagine that qui-gon is supposed to be jesus

Who else would could portray Jesus so well?

Nobody dies on screen like Liam Neeson.

Well, except for Sean Bean, who would also play a great Jesus.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Feral I usually respect you a lot

Not today though.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular

OFA made that?

So the flag itself has a history going back to the Revolutionary war. It's a powerful icon of the ideals of the Revolution and the rejection of tyranny.

And yeah, the Tea Party has appropriated it and that upsets people who don't like the Tea Party appropriating iconography from the Revolution in support of goals they don't agree with or maybe even think run counter to the American ideal.

But reworking it to champion a massive Federal government subsidy program that comes complete with its own state-enforced mandatory punishments for citizen noncompliance, the very antithesis of the individualism represented by the flag, and especially for Obama's personal "grassroots" organizing group to do so, upsets me very much.

I suppose it's just odd to me to be offended by ridicule of political symbols

That's like ... half of political debate here

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    HEY GUYS I HEARD IF WE DEBATE OBAMACARE IT GOES AWAY

• Options
    Feral I usually respect you a lot

Not today though.

That's how you know it was a quality burn Feral.

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod

OFA made that?

the colonial goals of the various european nations were something like

Spain + Portugal: extract all wealth by whatever means

England: exacerbate racial tensions to set up stable puppet govts

France: experiment with local cuisine; ignore everything else

Holland + Belgium: inflict maximum misery for no real reason

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    so its ok to appropriate a symbol when it supports something you like but shitty when it supports something you don't
    great talk

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular

That is beautiful
    Disney, take note

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    Though lets be fair to those wealthy land owners of the late 1700s.

A very expensive war was fought recently, and taxes went up to offset the cost of that war... so they got pissed off, donned their tricorner hats and called their leader a tyraa....... oh wait a minute.

Maybe the teapers are right to adopt that iconography.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular

OFA made that?

So the flag itself has a history going back to the Revolutionary war. It's a powerful icon of the ideals of the Revolution and the rejection of tyranny.

And yeah, the Tea Party has appropriated it and that upsets people who don't like the Tea Party appropriating iconography from the Revolution in support of goals they don't agree with or maybe even think run counter to the American ideal.

I suppose it's just odd to me to be offended by ridicule of political symbols

That's like ... half of political debate here

Quick let's talk about flag burning!

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited March 2014

I think spool's getting at the fair point that generally, absent some national emergency, our country has not usually allowed the Congress to compel an action when people prefer the alternative of inaction.

You can attach regulations to different decisions - taxes when people decide to earn money, employment regulations when people decide to open businesses - but the ACA is something of a bold new world wherein the Federal government can affirmatively require you to engage in that conduct.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
This discussion has been closed.