As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX East 2014 Parties

• Options
    DolarrahDolarrah New JerseyRegistered User regular
    It will be pricey, but if this is your first time, and your at the Parker House, 2 don't misses are the Boston Cream Pie and the Parker House Rolls, both originally invented at the Parker House. Get the cheapest Entrée, the food is above average but not worth price, but the Rolls before the meal and the Desert are worth the dinner.

• Options
    upstateny-danupstateny-dan Registered User regular
    Dolarrah wrote: »
    It will be pricey, but if this is your first time, and your at the Parker House, 2 don't misses are the Boston Cream Pie and the Parker House Rolls, both originally invented at the Parker House. Get the cheapest Entrée, the food is above average but not worth price, but the Rolls before the meal and the Desert are worth the dinner.

Lol how can I pass up"the Boston cream pie"?

Can't believe it's coming up so soon.

Are there usually parties announced during pax? Seems like with so many people there are not enough parties so far to keep places from being elbows to elbows crowded.

• Options
    vttymvttym Ardent Gamer Northern NJRegistered User regular

Are there usually parties announced during pax? Seems like with so many people there are not enough parties so far to keep places from being elbows to elbows crowded.

Yes. I believe the Elder Scrolls Online party wasn't announced ahead of time (or at least, I wasn't aware of it until I picked up a free lunch from their themed lunch truck). And that was arguably the best party I've been to at PAX (perhaps a close second to the World of Tanks birthday party a few years back).

• Options
    JayDfromMAJayDfromMA MARegistered User regular
    We still do have a little bit of time before Pax. I would not be surprised to see most of them announced later this week or even next week.

• Options
    thornxblthornxbl Registered User regular
    I believe last year's Riot Games/League of Legends pub crawl was announced at the con.

• Options
    agreatrandomagreatrandom Wizard Outside BostonRegistered User regular
    vttym wrote: »
    the World of Tanks birthday party a few years back

NOTHING will beat this party yet every year I hope one does. That was honestly a Euro-rave with nerds, an open bar, and a giant cake-tank. It was amazing.

The invite only Bioshock was definitely up there though.

5rOQuX4.png

Design Wizard, Pizza Enthusiast, Craft Beer Extraordinare from MA
  • Options
    pelicanflippelicanflip Registered User regular
    Sanshee 2014 Block Party at PAX East

Saturday, April 12, 2014 at 7:00 PM
    - to -
    Sunday, April 13, 2014 at 2:00 AM (EDT)
    Stadium Sports Bar & Grill
    148 State St
    Boston, MA 02109

Exclusively N.E.P & Sanshee Present
    Party will feature:
    -Gaming themed drinks
    -Food on toothpicks
    -Occasional free drinks
    -Cool people
    -Not-so-special guest appearances
    -Music?
    -Chairs!
    RSVP to get drink tickets for 10 dollars and early access.
    Drink TIckets not avaiable with purchase of tickets at the door.
    Event is 21+, requires an invite or PAX badge and a valid ID.
    Come on down for a good time.
    No dress code; silly hats optional.

• Options
    How does one RSVP?

• Options
    grayfawkesgrayfawkes Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    grayfawkes on
    PAX East 2015:
    3 Single Day Passes [x]
    Hotel [x]
    Flights [x]
    Packed []
    Excitement[x]
    ————————————
    PAX East 12'
    PAX East 13'
    PAX East 14'
    PAX East 15'
  • Options

Yes. I believe the Elder Scrolls Online party wasn't announced ahead of time (or at least, I wasn't aware of it until I picked up a free lunch from their themed lunch truck). And that was arguably the best party I've been to at PAX (perhaps a close second to the World of Tanks birthday party a few years back).

Elder Scrolls was announced about three weeks ahead of time with the stipulation that you had to go to the booth to get a ticket. There was no RSVP, you could only get an invite if you went to the booth or the free food truck, which by the way had AWESOME grilled cheese.

• Options
    rascrushrascrush Registered User regular
    has anyone been to the sanshee party before considering going to this one if nothing better shows up

• Options
    I heard alright stuff about the Sanshee party last year. Drinks were pricey if my memory serves me.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    JayDfromMA wrote: »
    I heard alright stuff about the Sanshee party last year. Drinks were pricey if my memory serves me.

Beside the rare "Free x no of drink" or open bar parties, the drinks in Boston are always pricey, if you are not paying minimum or 6 to 8 for beer and wine and 8 - 10 for mixed, your at a dive in a neighborhood you probably should not be in.

Dolarrah on
  • Options
    CatalepticalCataleptical New JerseyRegistered User regular
    rascrush wrote: »
    has anyone been to the sanshee party before considering going to this one if nothing better shows up
    My wife and I went in 2012. It's a pretty chill party, not really packed and no swag to be had, but we had fun. The drinks were about $5 or so, and as the night goes on, if you're hanging around with or strike up friendships with some of the employees, you'll get some drinks taken care of.

The Sanshee guys are fun. If you have nothing else planned and want to sit, drink, and mingle with some like-minded PAXers, I'd recommend going.

379by4cj0i1l.png
  • Options
    rascrushrascrush Registered User regular
    cool i will for sure keep it in mind then if nothing else better comes up thanks. Also is it worth getting the 15.00 ticket so you can get to the front of the line or is there not much of a line.

• Options
    NawkternalNawkternal SF Bay AreaRegistered User new member
    Will there be any Twitch parties this year?

• Options
    Account4ThisAccount4This BostonRegistered User regular
    JayDfromMA wrote: »

Beside the rare "Free x no of drink" or open bar parties, the drinks in Boston are always pricey, if you are not paying minimum or 6 to 8 for beer and wine and 8 - 10 for mixed, your at a dive in a neighborhood you probably should not be in.

Dive bar yes, but bad neighborhood? Not necessarily, plenty of good dive bars in decent areas

• Options
    KumaKuma Registered User regular

Its in my top 3 for sure. The Kotaku party the first year was up there as well as the first Irrational party. The dancers were a nice touch as well

f7v9h.jpg
  • Options
    This showed up today on my Twitter feed:
    Harmonix PAX East Extravaganza

Date:
    April 11 @ 6:00PM

Cost:
    $20.00

Venue:
    Laugh Boston @ The Westin Boston Waterfront
    425 Summer Street
    Boston MA 02210

Join Harmonix (makers of the Rock Band and Dance Central franchises) for an evening of PAX East revelry! Rub elbows with the developers behind your favorite music and motion games, hear about their exciting new projects, and enjoy the musical stylings of some kick ass Harmonix bands. Plus: open bar from 6-7pm*, and all attendees will receive a free Rock Band guitar*!

*Must be 21+ to participate in open bar.

http://laughboston.com/event/harmonix-pax-east-extravaganza/

379by4cj0i1l.png
  • Options
    EscoBladesEscoBlades Product Marketing Manager at Ubisoft Registered User regular
    the World of Tanks birthday party a few years back).

This party was amazing!

tHBv9m5.png
    Product Marketing Manager on Watch Dogs: Legion
    Youtube | Twitter
  • Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular

Date:

Cost:
    $20.00

Venue:
    425 Summer Street
    Boston MA 02210

Join Harmonix (makers of the Rock Band and Dance Central franchises) for an evening of PAX East revelry! Rub elbows with the developers behind your favorite music and motion games, hear about their exciting new projects, and enjoy the musical stylings of some kick ass Harmonix bands. Plus: open bar from 6-7pm*, and all attendees will receive a free Rock Band guitar*!

This one is tempting...

• Options
    xenardxenard Registered User regular

Date:

Cost:
    $20.00

Venue:
    425 Summer Street
    Boston MA 02210

I wasted no time getting in on this

steam_sig.png
    3DS Friend Code: 2449-5711-0640
  • Options
    xenard wrote: »
    I wasted no time getting in on this

Me either. I figured that a 6 pm to 9 pm party would leave plenty of time to head out to another. Plus, ticketed event, limited entry, 1 hour open bar, and Rock Band guitar? Why not?

379by4cj0i1l.png
  • Options
    PurpleBekPurpleBek Manchester, EnglandRegistered User regular
    Yes I bought tickets for that as soon as I saw it. I loved the rock band parties last 2 years. So excited now !

pax%20sig.png
  • Options
    miker525miker525 New YorkRegistered User regular
    I'm really tempted to buy a ticket to the Rock Band party. Seems awesome. Kinda early but a free RB guitar....shit...gonna have to check in with the folks I'm heading up with but may have to go to this.

weZXr66.png
    Steam - Miker525 | Xbox Live - Miker525| PSN - MikeRosenberg
    Websites - Gamerations - MikeRosenberger.com
    Pinny Pals - Miker525
  • Options
    aBByNormaLaBByNormaL Registered User regular
    When it says must be 21 to participate in open bar, can you still get in if not drinking and are under 21 (thinking about my underage daughter I will have in tow)

PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!
  • Options
    ishtraishtra Long IslandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Not a party per se but I thought this was pretty cool at the Westin - http://laughboston.com/paxeast/ Free play console gaming with food and drinks in their Laugh Boston lounge then midnight shows on Friday and Saturday nights - Dirty Donkey Kong (Sketch comedy and improv show).

ishtra on
    Attendee: PAX East 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, Unplugged 2017
  • Options
    upstateny-danupstateny-dan Registered User regular
    ishtra wrote: »
    Not a party per se but I thought this was pretty cool at the Westin - http://laughboston.com/paxeast/ Free play console gaming with food and drinks in their Laugh Boston lounge then midnight shows on Friday and Saturday nights - Dirty Donkey Kong (Sketch comedy and improv show).

The lounge sounds like a great place to take a nice break from the floor :-)

• Options
    aBByNormaL wrote: »
    When it says must be 21 to participate in open bar, can you still get in if not drinking and are under 21 (thinking about my underage daughter I will have in tow)
    Hmmm, not sure. You should shoot an email to the venue or maybe Tweet Harmonix and ask. It is a comedy club and not technically a bar. Maybe they'd make an exception?

379by4cj0i1l.png
  • Options
    Hmmm, not sure. You should shoot an email to the venue or maybe Tweet Harmonix and ask. It is a comedy club and not technically a bar. Maybe they'd make an exception?

Tweeted them ... will update with info when I get it

PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!
  • Options
    vttymvttym Ardent Gamer Northern NJRegistered User regular
    Good heads up on the Harmonix event. I'll happily drop $20 to party with them.

• Options
    Veive257Veive257 Registered User regular
    $20 for a new guitar, worth it.. some free drinks?! hells ya. Oh Harmonix party too? Where is it? connected via skybridge to the Conn.. o in the lobby of my hotel.. jeez this is a hard decision.

Ticket bought

• Options

Date:

Cost:
    $20.00

Venue:
    425 Summer Street
    Boston MA 02210

I emailed to find out if all tickets need to be purchased in advance or not.

• Options
    smorggiesmorggie Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Thank you SO MUCH for posting about the Harmonix event. I was so sad that I missed out on tickets last year. I will be there showing my Harmonix love dressed as Miss Aubrey from Dance Central
    And now I can finally replace my broken Rock Band Guitar!

• Options
    deutschebagdeutschebag a egg bostonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    ishtra wrote: »

I work at the company that's hosting this -- if you guys have any requests for games or consoles you'd like to see, let me know! :3 We're hoping to set up the whole bar with free-play consoles.

e: AbbyNormal - I know we allow under-21 customers for regular shows, but I'm not sure about the Harmonix event since they have dominion over that. If no one has gotten back to you about it yet, I can find out.

deutschebag on
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    nothing yet ....

P.S. correct that just saw a post on the Harmonix Twitter page ... they indicated that planner advised it appears to be 18+ for venue, 21+ for open bar ... as my daughter is 12 no joy on this end ... heck even their Disney event is not family friendly.

aBByNormaL on
  • Options
    FredoukenFredouken NHRegistered User regular
    nothing yet ....

P.S. correct that just saw a post on the Harmonix Twitter page ... they indicated that planner advised it appears to be 18+ for venue, 21+ for open bar ... as my daughter is 12 no joy of this end ... heck even their Disney event is not family friendly.

In general, PAX isn't "family friendly" in the most literal sense. Hopefully, coarse language isn't a huge issue for your child. Though we are instilled with the values of "don't be a dick", I can guarantee that whether paying attention to their surroundings or not, people will be loud and at times vulgar. That all being said, I'm sure you're both going to have an amazing time, at one of my favorite events of the year, every year :D

• Options
    edited March 2014
    I am not concerned about language (heck my own language gets salty at times) ... it is just many after events seem to be primarily 21+ even ones you might not expect to be. Case in point is the Disney Harmonix party which runs 2-4pm on the Sunday. It is middle of the day, it is Disney ... and it is 21+. It was a little surprising. That was my point. I will survive ... I knew coming into this that there would be elements of the experience which I would have to forego as a result of my decision to include my daughter (which I do not regret). I am sure we will have a great time regardless.

aBByNormaL on
  • Options
    imnotalawyerimnotalawyer Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Well here is an interesting one that I just stumbled across while googling "PAX Parties"...

D20_square_logo-300x293.jpg

Time: Friday - 10PM

Where: 255 Elm St. Somerville, MA 02114

Info/Tickets: $15

Join us for an evening of surreal striptease as we pay tribute to one of our favorite game designers, Tim Schafer, and his team over at Double Fine Productions!

Co-hosted by Anja Keister and Iris Explosion this show will have acts themed around
    Grim Fandango, The Cave, Brutal Legend, Psychonauts, Stacking, Amnesia Fortnight and Tim Schafer himself

Performances by:

The Twisted Beauty of NYC – Dangrrr Doll
    Boston’s own Boylesque sensation – Ricky Lime
    The Hilariously Sexy – C Amanda Boutahorse
    Burlesque that Will Blow Your Mind – Iris Explosion
    and Anja Keister – The Dicey Dame of Burlesque
    with D20 Burlesque debut of ZP Keister
    with the ever delightful Allix Mortis as Stage Kitten!

All this plus exciting audience games, raffle and special chance to win special Double Fine Swag!

EDIT: It appears a similar show is also taking place on Saturday called "The Dirty Nerd Revue" http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/605769 If you're looking for something not-family-friendly... this is probably it...

imnotalawyer on
    faPgNTD
  • Options
    deutschebagdeutschebag a egg bostonRegistered User regular
    nothing yet ....

P.S. correct that just saw a post on the Harmonix Twitter page ... they indicated that planner advised it appears to be 18+ for venue, 21+ for open bar ... as my daughter is 12 no joy of this end ... heck even their Disney event is not family friendly.

If you want to bring her to our midnight show or to the gaming lounge during the day, you're welcome to do that, since the venue is normally all-ages (at the patron's discretion, since a lot of acts can be...raunchy?) -- but I will warn you that the midnight show is definitely not family-friendly. I'm not sure why they restricted the Harmonix party to 18+.

I'm really surprised the Disney Harmonix event is 21+, though, because that kind of excludes a demographic that one would think they'd want. I've actually seen a good amount of people with younger kids at PAX in previous years. Granted, that was only in the exhibit hall, but it seems like there should/would be more events catering (or even open) to parents/kids.