As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

what's in a name?

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    My mother wanted to name me Piers but my father said to think about it and they settled for 203162121 instead

Though my middle brother suffers with the family game of RLG/RWG name game
    He had boldly said he will break this by naming a child with what ever he feels like

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »
    my name is ross marshall and both those names are boring + shite

ross is red in gaelic (thankfully im not ginger)

no middle name because fuck you

ross farty marshall

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    Tam wrote: »
    My name is Abhishek
    like a milkshake with honey (or bees) in it

a bee shake

not a short "a"- as in "fast"- a regular, use-in-a-sentence "a", pronounced "uh"

Uh bee shake

I don't like my name
    and it isn't because of internalized xenophobia
    I don't like its meaning (a ceremony and the water/milk used in that ceremony), the sound of it compared to other Hindu/Nepali names, and the way in which it was given to me
    the last one is the worst
    my cultural background within Nepali culture is old money patriarchy (no I ain't got no stacks), so you know: sexist, racist, and classist. So the naming rights were taken from my mother
    you know, the person who started the bio-geo-chemical process that is me
    and given to my stupid dork ass cousins because of course my mom was a woman and not fucking up to my dad's family's asshole wealth standards despite their son being married to her

I shortened it to its first and last letters, so friends call me A.K.
    I didn't know about the gun at the time
    Through making fun of my name, and some Cumberbatching, the name Applejacks Grimoire emerged
    and it tickles me pink

sorry
    it was my birthday on Friday
    and in some misguided attempt at self reflection
    I might have disappeared up my own ass

Im calling you applejacks from now on @tam

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I always like the name Alexander. My wife told me if we ever had a boy, she'd want to name him Alexander Skye Harris, which I thought was a pretty cool name

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    My name was given to me because no one objected to it.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    My name was given to me because no one objected to it.

your mum wasn't bothered by Pissmop?

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    My first name is just a rehash of my older sister's first name in another language, but we both go by our middle names. Mine is the same as my mother's middle name, and my cousin's, and it's a variant of my paternal uncle's middle name (the father of said cousin). So it's not the most original name, but my parents weren't big on originality.

The only problem with it, really, is my cousin has started going by our middle name on Facebook to avoid her worthless ex-husband, so I keep seeing things in my timeline and thinking, "I don't remember posting that."

My last name means "soldier" and I'm a fourth-generation veteran on that side so I guess that's appropriate.
    Psykoma wrote: »
    Is there a reliable site with first and last name meanings/history?

Behind the Name is pretty good. They also have a site for surnames.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    My name is Benjamin, it means 'son of the right hand,' which I knew. What I didn't know, until just now is that it can also mean:
    The "Benjamin of the family" is a phrase used in several languages to refer to the youngest son - especially when he is much younger than his brothers; sometimes the name is chosen for a son born to mature parents unlikely to have more children

Which is crazy because that is my exact situation and I'm 99% certain that my parents had no idea of this meaning when I was born.

I have no idea about the etymology of my last name as we don't really know the genealogy of that side of the family. There are good cases for it being a bastardized name from Scotland, England, or Germany.

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    Speaking of names, my grandparents on both sides had pretty terrible ones. Except my dad's mom, Edna. That's not as bad as (her husband) Wilford or my mom's parents, Ewell (pronounced yule) and Eula (yula) Mae. Those three all went by nicknames.

So glad my parents didn't name any of us after our grandparents. Though I think they'd have gotten disowned if they had.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    My first name is Kevin. It's Celtic for "kind." Or at least I always thought so, but looking it up online, I get this:
    Meaning & History

Anglicized form of the Irish name Caoimhín, derived from the older Irish Cóemgein, composed of the Old Irish elements cóem "kind, gentle, handsome" and gein "birth". Saint Caoimhín established a monastery in Glendalough, Ireland in the 6th century and is the patron saint of Dublin. It became popular in the English-speaking world outside of Ireland in the 20th century.

Which is pretty neat.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    My first name is Christopher after the saint who was known for carrying a young Jesus across a river, so, Christ-Bearer
    My middle name is Matthew, also a saint, means Gift of God
    My last name, while constantly and "hilariously" misspelled, is also the name of the oldest feudal castle in Germany

One day I want to go back there and reclaim my birthright

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • Options
    Bé ChuilleBé Chuille Registered User regular
    My first name is Kevin. It's Celtic for "kind." Or at least I always thought so, but looking it up online, I get this:
    Meaning & History

Anglicized form of the Irish name Caoimhín, derived from the older Irish Cóemgein, composed of the Old Irish elements cóem "kind, gentle, handsome" and gein "birth". Saint Caoimhín established a monastery in Glendalough, Ireland in the 6th century and is the patron saint of Dublin. It became popular in the English-speaking world outside of Ireland in the 20th century.

Which is pretty neat.

I adore the name Caoimhín (Qwee-veen) and its feminine form Caoimhe (Qwee-va or Kee-vah). Such a sucker for Irish names.

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    I've always liked Daniel.

I associate it now with that dude from Mayfair. He's in a scary game you may have heard of.

488W936.png
  • Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    My name, meaning aside, is kinda weird for me

my brother and sister are both born on the 10th of an A month (August and April, respectively) and have the initials AJD

Me? They went to the other end of the alphabet with ZTD

And they tell me now that I'm named after the president Zachary Taylor, but I really think that's bullshit and that they just liked how Zachary Taylor sounded, and I'd probably change it if it wasn't such a hassle; 'cause honestly I respond to Huntera faster than I do Zack (edit: would not change it to huntera)

Huntera on
  • Options
    BirdsBirds Registered User regular
    so uh
    my dad and my brother are william the 8th and 9th respectively
    i guess my dad felt that when you're william the 8th and you have a son, you cant -not- name him william and continue the chain
    of course my brother goes by his middle name which is something different, thankfully
    but at his high school graduation he told the announcer (a girl he knew) about this little tradition and so he was announced as "william the 9th" and got a ton of applause
    it does sound very medieval

my name is an almost perfect anagram for Google Chrome, but i am missing one letter. so close!

• Options
    Kyoka SuigetsuKyoka Suigetsu Odin gave his left eye for knowledge. I would give far more Registered User regular
    Meaning & History

Which is pretty neat.

I adore the name Caoimhín (Qwee-veen) and its feminine form Caoimhe (Qwee-va or Kee-vah). Such a sucker for Irish names.

As someone who went through a gaelscoil I always resented being called Caoimhín.

I love the language and still use it, But Kevin just sounds way better.

• Options
    Bé ChuilleBé Chuille Registered User regular
    Hey, gaelscoil buddies. There isn't an Irish version of my name, so I escaped that, but my classmates all went back to the English versions of their names after primary school.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    It's a shame about Twilight because I think Isabelle is a pretty name.

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    @Huntera out of sequence name bros.

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    facetious wrote: »
    @Huntera Are you sure that's not just a coverup, and you're actually named after Zachary Taylor Thomas?

Yes

My dad would've named me Coach if they were going for celebrity names

• Options
    I was hoping nobody saw that before I edited it

because it's Jonathan and I feel really dumb.

Real strong, facetious.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular

I believe he has a brother named Zack?

• Options
    I don't know anymore!

The world is a lie!

(I may have just slept like 10 hours after very little sleep for the last two weeks and am not at my mental best.)

Real strong, facetious.

• Options
    Meaning & History

Which is pretty neat.

I wondered how they got Kevin from that, because they have so few letters in common.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    hi my name is john macdonald and i will never be able to google myself

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Meaning & History

Which is pretty neat.

I wondered how they got Kevin from that, because they have so few letters in common.

I honestly can't tell if you're joking.

• Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    My name is a thorny rose bush

My middle name is Ray after my late grandfather, a lot of kids on my mom's side have the middle name Ray or Rae

My last name means descendant of war

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »

I believe he has a brother named Zack?
    Did a google since something didn't seem right but Zachary ty bryan was the older Home improvement brother.

Maybe he just mashed up HI kids and remembered them as one horrible abomination.

• Options
    tynic wrote: »
    Meaning & History

Which is pretty neat.

I honestly can't tell if you're joking.

Partially? I mean... Kevin... Caoimhín....

Just on the face of them... they don't look alike. But knowing The Gaelic word is pronounced Qwee-veen, it all makes sense to me now.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    EmbraceThePingEmbraceThePing ひきこもり Where the Crabbits and the Iz roam and the Jungle Queen rules the plainsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    MadEddy wrote: »
    Psykoma wrote: »
    Is there a reliable site with first and last name meanings/history?

Behind the Name is pretty good. They also have a site for surnames.
    Wow. That's a blow to the ego.
    Entered my surname in and got "Name not found". I thought (and the phone book seems to agree) that my surname isn't especially rare.

edit: Phew. Found it here. https://www.surnamedb.com/
    I exist. =D

EmbraceThePing on
  • Options
    But you can call meBut you can call me Grand Divina Angela Registered User regular
    My wife's first name is the name of a country, one of her middle names doesn't exist according to any website I've been able to find, and the second half of her name is super common. Kind of amusing.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    God is my judge

Nobleman

Son of Robin (which is apparently a diminutive of Robert, which means "fame-bright"

My parents didn't put a lot of thought into my name, but the middle name is a variant on my dad's aunt's name.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    My last name derives from being a nickname for skinny people.

Which is kind of boring.

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    I'll be honest, I wouldn't have the balls to name myself Virgil, so I'm glad my folks did. It's a pretty sweet name.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I would name myself Benedict Cumberbatch

• Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    My name means crooked nose in celtic

which I think is pretty great

• Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    My first name means pure, while my middle name either means the cause of great joy or she who intoxicates, and my last name means raven.

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I would name myself Benedict Cumberbatch

so you can emphasize random syllables and mug at camera in start trek movies?

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    I was told by my dad that my first name, Max, was a nickname for my great grandfather Marcelino. My middle name is my dad's first name, and my last name (Velasquez) translates as "Son of Velasco". Velasco comes from a Basque word paired with a diminutive, and means "little raven", which I suppose makes me Max, son of the little raven. Most everyone I meet seems to think that my first name is short for something though.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    Sean which is Jean which is John which is Iohannes which is Ἰωάννης which is יוֹחָנָן

or that's what wikipedia says, it means graced by YHWH apparently

I used to despise it, mainly because I am from so deep in the sticks that it was a legit strange name and was nearly always mispronounced "seen"

even by adults

I have a middle name but I don't really think about it, I always have a brief moment of confusion whenever I encounter it

it doesn't fit