As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

My Little [Programming] Thread: Debugging is Magic

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I'm starting to suspect that my team has my emails filtered to the Trash Bin.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Also triggers are evil, and should be avoided at all costs. Especially in large systems with multiple layers of interaction, triggers can and will bite you in the ass. They should be used incredibly sparingly, and approaching never for business logic.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Yeah that kind of check gets thrown into my code rather than my database. I strictly use my DB as a storage mechanism, not a coding one. Just creates so much more work if you change systems or something like that.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Yeah, I don't recommend putting business limits in your database like that.

OrokosPA.png
  • KambingKambing Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    You misspelled Haskell.

Lambdas are the light.

How does it feel to be the most terrible human being of the 21st century?

You rang?
    import Euterpea

song = play $ cycle 10 bars
      where
        cycle n   = foldl (:+:) (rest sfn) . take n . repeat
        bars      = foldl (:+:) (rest sfn) (bar fminor bflat ++ bar aflatsus dflat)
        bar c1 c2 = [c1 den, c1 sn, c1 qn, rest en, c2 en, c2 qn]
        triple (n1, n2, n3) l = n1 l :=: n2 l :=: n3 l
        fminor   = triple (f 4, c 4, aff 3)
        bflat    = triple (bff 4, f 4, d 4)
        aflatsus = triple (aff 4, eff 4, dff 4)
        dflat    = triple (dff 5, aff 4, f 4)

@TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    can someone please help me understand what this shit from horse is where node developers create soft ports of established tools just for the sake of using Node

wouldn't it be faster to learn a real language on a real runtime

https://github.com/creationix/haml-js

• PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Javascript is the Future. But nobody seems to like the Future, so we just create dozens of javascript-generating languages

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    can someone please help me understand what this shit from horse is where node developers create soft ports of established tools just for the sake of using Node

wouldn't it be faster to learn a real language on a real runtime

https://github.com/creationix/haml-js

I love this note on their front page:
    Note that this works almost the same as ruby's haml, but doesn't pretty print the html. This would greatly slow down and complicate the code. If you really want pretty printed html, then I suggest writing one using the xml parser library and process the resulting html.

Translation: We didn't actually recreate all of haml, and our version's performance sucks.

edited March 2014
    I'm not sure how Ruby is anymore of a "real" language or runtime than JS + Node? And this is coming from someone who is overall dubious of Node and loves Ruby.

HAML is a nice markup syntax, and people in Node want to use it. I'm unsure of how this is strange. If you look around, you can find Jade engines for Rails, even though Jade is 100% JavaScript code.

The bigger question is why these people would want to use HAML over Jade in the first place, but really, that's their call.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    Kambing wrote: »
    You misspelled Haskell.

Lambdas are the light.

You rang?
    import Euterpea

where

Ah, I see, I guess he's a runner up.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    edited March 2014
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I'm not sure how Ruby is anymore of a "real" language or runtime than JS + Node? And this is coming from someone who is overall dubious of Node and loves Ruby.

HAML is a nice markup syntax, and people in Node want to use it. I'm unsure of how this is strange. If you look around, you can find Jade engines for Rails, even though Jade is 100% JavaScript code.

The bigger question is why these people would want to use HAML over Jade in the first place, but really, that's their call.

well it's strange if you have something like Docpad that claims to support HAML as a plugin, it would be a good thing to mention that it doesn't actually support HAML but some extremely weak port of HAML that could be described as feature complete only in the strictest sense of the term

that's a little like owning a bar and saying you sell the finest beers but actually it's just falsely labelled coors light

this is supposed to be a good example of a Node.JS system..

Jasconius on
    Kambing wrote: »
    You misspelled Haskell.

Lambdas are the light.

You rang?
    import Euterpea

where

Ah, I see, I guess he's a runner up.

Don't worry. This is not even my final form. ^_^

@TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.

well it's strange if you have something like Docpad that claims to support HAML as a plugin, it would be a good thing to mention that it doesn't actually support HAML but some extremely weak port of HAML that could be described as feature complete only in the strictest sense of the term

that's a little like owning a bar and saying you sell the finest beers but actually it's just falsely labelled coors light

haml-js seems to support everything but haml's pretty printing, from my quick glance. I think you and I disagree on how feature complete something has to be to qualify as "close enough".

haml-js seems to support everything but haml's pretty printing, from my quick glance. I think you and I disagree on how feature complete something has to be to qualify as "close enough".

Graph 1 Graph 2

which one of these graphs best represents what looks like a robust opensource software library you can build a product on with confidence, get support, get a ticket worked on or at least addressed, or have a pull request honored

and which one looks like floating garbage

• PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular

Graph 1 Graph 2

which one of these graphs best represents what looks like a robust opensource software library you can build a product on with confidence, get support, get a ticket worked on or at least addressed, or have a pull request honored

Pfft, one of those is clearly done, and therefore perfect since obviously no work needs to be done on it. The other is crap that needs to be constantly fixed!

Graph 1 Graph 2

That wasn't your argument five minutes ago. You just moved the goal posts to the other end of the field. You said haml-js could "be described as feature complete only in the strictest sense of the term", yet when I pointed out that it seems pretty feature complete aside from pretty printing....you show me the community activity page.

For a programmer, you don't understand logical fallacy very well it seems.

do you believe it's plausible that haml-js could be literally feature complete without a single commit in over a calendar year

• SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Okay, writing web service methods that are meant to be consumed by InfoPath forms is the lowest circle of hell.

What have I done to deserve this?

Edit: Scratch that, that thing up there that @Kambing made is worse.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
    Thread so salty.

OrokosPA.png
    Probably overloaded from all my Java tears.

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    TearFactoryFactory

TearFactoryFactoryManagerBeanDroplet

• iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    It makes me go all O_O that MS managed to only take up about 2MB with 1.1's and 2.0's source.

wow that's pretty cool

finally with this information I can complete my emulator of DOS/4GW

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    It makes me go all O_O that MS managed to only take up about 2MB with 1.1's and 2.0's source.

In memory 1.1 only occupies 12KB of space

i call upon the C++ lords

remember I asked about pointers and good allocation practice

so SDL_Texture is an opaque type which can only be properly used via pointer...

if I take the return value of an SDL function that returns SDL_Texture * and then envelop that in a smart_pointer... job done? or is there more to it

i ask because textures returned by SDL functions seem to be occasionally leaky even if you delete them manually

• mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    You mean something like this?
    void DoSomething {
      std::unique_ptr<SDL_Texture> texture(getSDLTexture()); //or the boost equivalent
      //do something with texture
    }

Yea, that should clean up the SDLTexture pointer.

if I take the return value of an SDL function that returns SDL_Texture * and then envelop that in a smart_pointer... job done? or is there more to it

i ask because textures returned by SDL functions seem to be occasionally leaky even if you delete them manually

You still need to call SDL_DestroyTexture. You probably want to assign it as the custom deleter of your shared_ptr.

OrokosPA.png
  • mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    that's what I get for posting when I don't actually know anything about SDL! heh.

• ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Infidel wrote: »

You still need to call SDL_DestroyTexture. You probably want to assign it as the custom deleter of your shared_ptr.

Yah

So slightly modify mightyjongyo's code above:
    typedef std::unique_ptr<SDL_Texture, void ( * )( SDL_Texture * ) > txSDLTexture;

void DoSomething {
       txSDLTexture texture( getSDLTexture(), SDL_DestroyTexture );
      //do something with texture
    }

Works because SDL_DestroyTexture() happens to meet the function signature for a custom deleter perfectly - void SDL_DestroyTexture( SDL_Texture * ).

Edit: Haha, ( * ) (without spaces) is (*)

Late edit 2: I suppose you could use decltype to clean things up...?

(untested)
    typedef std::unique_ptr<SDL_Texture, decltype( SDL_DestroyTexture ) > txSDLTexture;

ecco the dolphin on
    Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
    SDL_DestroyTexture()

that sounds pretty important. I should have probably known about that. Would explain why my font textures always leak, they are the only ones I have to constantly re-create (as people type)

Thanks guys

P.S. fuck it I am rolling my own SDL2 based GUI lib modeled after CocoaTouch

So trying to do a exclusive match on a regex with phpmyadmin, does \b not work here?

I'm trying to hide 'mysql' but there's a database "(something)_mysql" is there and gets hit on the regex for hide_db if I put in mysql there. Is there a special syntax I'm not aware of to pop the \b's in?

• SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    I love the null-coalescing operator (??) in C#. Just saved me sooooo much time with this financial event receiver I was writing.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I hate it when docs lie. According to the Symfony docs, a form field matched to an image is supposed to return an UploadedFile object. Instead, I'm getting an array. Very annoying since the entity I'm working with expects an UploadedFile, and I can't change it to not expect one.

• undergroundmonorailundergroundmonorail single-track subway Registered User regular
    I love the null-coalescing operator (??) in C#. Just saved me sooooo much time with this financial event receiver I was writing.

I just learned about it like 15 minutes ago! I was practicing for a programming competition on Friday and our team leader was like "hey you guys wanna see something neat".

Woaaaah

Pokémon X | 3DS Friend Code: 0490-4897-7688
    Friend Safari: Fighting - Machoke, Pancham, Riolu | In game name: Jessica
    Official Weather Gym Leader of the G+T Pokémon League. @me to try for the Climate Badge!
  • undergroundmonorailundergroundmonorail single-track subway Registered User regular
    Speaking of which, I'm totally going to a programming competition on Friday! I've never been to one before and it's super exciting.

There are four people on our team, but we're only allowed one keyboard, so the general strategy seems to be "1 programmer, 2 guys working out algorithms and 1 guy spotting the programmer". Literally my whole job is watching the guy who knows what he's doing and hoping we don't brainfart at the same time :)

Pokémon X | 3DS Friend Code: 0490-4897-7688
    Friend Safari: Fighting - Machoke, Pancham, Riolu | In game name: Jessica
    Official Weather Gym Leader of the G+T Pokémon League. @me to try for the Climate Badge!
    i one time did a 48 hour ruby on rails competition with three guys I had never worked with before

probably the worst 48 hours of my life

• EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    I love c/c++ !! trick, it is even better when a type has defined
    operator bool() const

Congratulations. You just used a monad (sort of) without realizing it! =D

This discussion has been closed.