As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cosmos, with Neil DeGrasse Tyson - In which we learn that FOX is not the same as Fox News

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    I really would like to have a look at a non-light polluted sky again one day. The only time I ever got to see something close to that was when I visited the Grand Canyon with my family around 1985. I had never seen so many stars in my life.

Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, South Dakota for me.

there are wilder stretches of the badlands out there where there are probably less than 5 people per square mile living there, and you can see the bands of the milky way on a clear enough night.

It's majestic.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    I really would like to have a look at a non-light polluted sky again one day. The only time I ever got to see something close to that was when I visited the Grand Canyon with my family around 1985. I had never seen so many stars in my life.

there are wilder stretches of the badlands out there where there are probably less than 5 people per square mile living there, and you can see the bands of the milky way on a clear enough night.

It's majestic.

I like that Dr Tyson, as a kid, went to the Hayden Planetarium and his reaction was, "That's a beautiful lie. There aren't that many stars in the sky"

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Our family reunions happen in north eastern Montana on the old family farm. Extremely sparse but with running water! Telescope is coming with me this year without fail.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    It the south Pacific ocean it's the thing of wonder to see the night's sky
    And I did like how they showed the Toucan and other constellations in the show

• N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    The Ender wrote: »
    One of his journals is basically nothing but symbol-based coded messages. That he wrote for himself.
    Eh, it's not that weird. I did that when I was nine, making up ciphers and gibberish alphabet substitutions, all thanks to 'My First Spy Kit'.

I...may have learned Tolkein's elvish alphabet in order to write secret messages in my journals, just in case.

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

It's majestic.

Here's a light pollution map for North America.

And here's the approximate scale (they don't exactly align, but it's close enough). If you get to a dark enough area, the light from the Milky Way is enough to cast shadows during a New Moon.

• jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    Welp no stars for me. Go CT shoreline!

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    That map is pretty far off, at least for the northeast.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Yep. I'm in south Florida. Not a good place for stargazing!

I watched last night's episode live and enjoyed it. Was that Patrick Stewart as William Herschel?

I liked the part where he mentioned "some people believe the universe is only 6,000 years old" and then goes on to show how that would eliminate a lot of the light from the stars we can observe.

• DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    I watched last night's episode live and enjoyed it. Was that Patrick Stewart as William Herschel?

I liked the part where he mentioned "some people believe the universe is only 6,000 years old" and then goes on to show how that would eliminate a lot of the light from the stars we can observe.

The only right way for science to teach the controversy is to give the assertions and then show their results using data gained through scientific study.

A big effects budget just helps drive it home.

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Highlight of this week's Cosmos: Neil Degrasse Tyson taking three minutes out of his show to bury Young Earthers so deep they couldn't even hear him drop the mic afterwards.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Highlight of this week's Cosmos: Neil Degrasse Tyson taking three minutes out of his show to bury Young Earthers so deep they couldn't even hear him drop the mic afterwards.

Second Highlight: Captain Picard talking about space and time travel.

Whole show was aces this week.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    This was my tweet at the commercial break when Neil entered the black hole:

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    The revised light speed bike was pretty weak. First off a female driver, she probably crashed into a few planets and caused the asteroid belt. And then her little lip stud, what is this MTV.

Too many times it seemed like Tyson was trying to imitate Gus Fring (ha tyson chicken, get it?!)

But I am glad we got space stuff as opposed to boring Earth stuff.

Glad I'm not the only one who thought that!

• chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular

Did they kill him or spawn a whole new universe filled with Neils?

• NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    N1tSt4lker wrote: »
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    The Ender wrote: »
    One of his journals is basically nothing but symbol-based coded messages. That he wrote for himself.
    Eh, it's not that weird. I did that when I was nine, making up ciphers and gibberish alphabet substitutions, all thanks to 'My First Spy Kit'.

I...may have learned Tolkein's elvish alphabet in order to write secret messages in my journals, just in case.

Brittainna runes for me.

newSig.jpg
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular

Did they kill him or spawn a whole new universe filled with Neils?

Is this a Jonathan Lethem reference...?

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular

Well, due to the time dilation, we'll still die long before he does.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I am enjoying this week a lot. Neil is in his zone with the stuff being covered. This is his bag.

But every time they do the beach cartoons all I hear is this...

tumblr_mk62r3NJot1rrwnm7o1_400.jpg

u7stthr17eud.png
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Yesterday was the first time seeing the show as it airs on FOX, and I'm never doing it again. The amount of commercials, especially in the 30-45 minute span where there were 3 3 minute+ breaks. I'll buy it on DVD blu-ray, even though I don't own a blu-ray player at the moment, before I ever try and watch it as it airs again.

I understand why it happens, which is why I'll show my support by buying the series, but come on FOX

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I am enjoying this week a lot. Neil is in his zone with the stuff being covered. This is his bag.

But every time they do the beach cartoons all I hear is this...

Bullock: Son, can you keep a secret?

me: RUN BOY! RUN AWAY!
    but that was only because I just watched American Dad a split second before I switched to Cosmos.
    Patric Stewart is awesome and should be in everything.

• Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    Yesterday was the first time seeing the show as it airs on FOX, and I'm never doing it again. The amount of commercials, especially in the 30-45 minute span where there were 3 3 minute+ breaks. I'll buy it on DVD blu-ray, even though I don't own a blu-ray player at the moment, before I ever try and watch it as it airs again.

I understand why it happens, which is why I'll show my support by buying the series, but come on FOX

it gets repeated on National Geographic on Monday nights. maybe see if they show it with fewer ad breaks. anyone watched the repeat that can comment?

Wraith260 wrote: »

it gets repeated on National Geographic on Monday nights. maybe see if they show it with fewer ad breaks. anyone watched the repeat that can comment?

Well, see, second problem is that I work Sunday-Thursday until midnight. I do have access to a tv, but I can't put my undivided attention to it since I'm, well, at work and this show deserves undivided attentions. Yesterday was just the last day of a stay-home vacation.

It's less about the commercials that stop me, but I just really wanted to bitch about them. Because, god damn FOX.

• MillMill Registered User regular
    I've been enjoying this series for the most part. I'm hoping it gets enough views that we get a season two. Yeah, some of it is dumb down, but they have to do it for this time slot in order to hook people. I'm willing to dumb down things, if that's what is needed to spark greater scientific interest in people that don't normally pay attention to science (hell, for entry level, things need to accessible and only fools think it's a good idea to drive people because they refuse to dumb things down).

As for last week's episode. I can't really fault them with Hooke, that was the only description we had of the man and given that he is still given credit for his discoveries, it's probably safe to say the dude really was an asshole.

I take it you don't have a means to record this? Also the commercials on Hulu aren't too bad, I say they are still god awful, but I don't recall having to deal with 3 different commercial breaks, each being 3+ minutes long, in the same show.

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular

Same number of breaks in the same spots. Just different ads and one break is filled with utter fluff behind-the-scenes stuff about how awesome everyone is.

• Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    This sums up my feelings rather well.

tumblr_mig06rn1zQ1s5q8d5o1_500.gif

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
    Mill wrote: »
    I take it you don't have a means to record this? Also the commercials on Hulu aren't too bad, I say they are still god awful, but I don't recall having to deal with 3 different commercial breaks, each being 3+ minutes long, in the same show.

No, I don't have a DVR or anything like that, so I've been doing naughty things to watch it. Maybe I'll go the hulu route next week.

• NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Somewhere, Kirk Cameron is weeping while in the fetal position.

That makes me happy.

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i don't see what y'all are so confused about

god put all the incoming light 6000 light years away to make the universe look like it was older than 6000 years old

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

go to fox.com like two days later, the full ep with no ads if you have ad blocker (or maybe there just aren't any!)

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    i don't see what y'all are so confused about

god put all the incoming light 6000 light years away to make the universe look like it was older than 6000 years old

Ah, the troll god interpretation.

Usually combined with 'he did it to test your faith' or 'The devil did it to make you doubt god'

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »

Same number of breaks in the same spots. Just different ads and one break is filled with utter fluff behind-the-scenes stuff about how awesome everyone is.

well that sucks.

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    guys

open this link in chrome with adblock on

enjoy full episode with no ads

http://www.cosmosontv.com/watch/211631683935

So It Goes wrote: »
    guys

That is amazing in it's simplicity, which means I would never think of it. Thanks!

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

go to fox.com like two days later, the full ep with no ads if you have ad blocker (or maybe there just aren't any!)

It def still has ads sans ad blocker.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    It's the same three ads played in a different order for me each break
    Kind of annoying but a stupid game of which one comes first

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular

It def still has ads sans ad blocker.
    Brainleech wrote: »
    It's the same three ads played in a different order for me each break
    Kind of annoying but a stupid game of which one comes first
    a5ehren wrote: »

well that sucks.

SIG has laid this out there already, but I get the feeling people are having a difficult time reading the thread or something?
    guys

Or do some people have something against google or ad blocking? If so, watch the ads without complaint? If not, there's nothing stopping you from never seeing those ads again, we have the technology! :)

To be fair to wraith, he posted before SIG. However, I can confirm there are no ads with adblock on