As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Memorial [Chat]

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    So I buy a lot of bagged spinach, and since I can't eat a pound of spinach in one go, I usually hold it shut with a chip clip.

My chip clips were pretty old and really cheap and flimsy they kept losing springs and finally just started breaking. Like I'd squeeze it open and the plastic would just snap.

I got really distressed by this and kept looking for alternatives! I taped a bag shut for a while with Scotch tape.

It took me a couple of days to just go "oh...I should buy new chip clips." And I found some really nice-looking heavy-duty ones on Amazon that will hopefully last me many years for like, seven bucks.

I wonder how many other of the minor frustrations in my life could be bettered by my just saying "fuck it" and buying something nice on amazon.

i am often reminded of an anecdote i read somewhere

i cannot verify it's accuracy

but the anecdote was that one of the behaviors characteristic of self-made millionaires is that they buy more expensive shoes than either poors or inherited-millionaires

but they are more likely to get them resoled multiple times, thereby saving money in the long run

This is totally what I would do. I have internalized some weird attitudes (I think mostly from my stepmom, whose parents were deathly poor) that spending money is basically tantamount to moral weakness. New housewares? What's wrong with half-broken hand-me-downs? How can you justify this extravagance?

I mean I am pretty poor but I can afford seven dollar chip clips and the savings in mental health will be huge. And yet I felt like Brewster's Millions or something clicking the order button.

Iwonfree chip clips at a nba game the other weekend I coulda sent you some

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    So I buy a lot of bagged spinach, and since I can't eat a pound of spinach in one go, I usually hold it shut with a chip clip.

My chip clips were pretty old and really cheap and flimsy they kept losing springs and finally just started breaking. Like I'd squeeze it open and the plastic would just snap.

I got really distressed by this and kept looking for alternatives! I taped a bag shut for a while with Scotch tape.

It took me a couple of days to just go "oh...I should buy new chip clips." And I found some really nice-looking heavy-duty ones on Amazon that will hopefully last me many years for like, seven bucks.

I wonder how many other of the minor frustrations in my life could be bettered by my just saying "fuck it" and buying something nice on amazon.

but the anecdote was that one of the behaviors characteristic of self-made millionaires is that they buy more expensive shoes than either poors or inherited-millionaires

but they are more likely to get them resoled multiple times, thereby saving money in the long run

This is totally what I would do. I have internalized some weird attitudes (I think mostly from my stepmom, whose parents were deathly poor) that spending money is basically tantamount to moral weakness. New housewares? What's wrong with half-broken hand-me-downs? How can you justify this extravagance?

I mean I am pretty poor but I can afford seven dollar chip clips and the savings in mental health will be huge. And yet I felt like Brewster's Millions or something clicking the order button.

Vimes Boot Theory, kosho.
    If you buy cheap shit, it will break.
    Buy quality and it motherfucking lasts.

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    My friend did pretty well on American Idol tonight
    She sang Rhiannon by Fleetwood Mac.
    Should make it through the next round after tomorrows results just fine I believe.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    So It Goes wrote: »

hahaha what a random thing to give away. are they SuperSonics branded or something?

also <3 for the offer

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    When buying housewares or appliances, just ask yourself a question: would I like to fuck this bear?

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/29415843

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »

hahaha what a random thing to give away. are they SuperSonics branded or something?

also <3 for the offer

Yeah it was weird they just started handing them out andwere like your section won free shit from oxo!

K actually these are p quality thx nba

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    everything I hear about Stephen Amell makes me like him more

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    @spool32‌ TSMs new mid is a zed MONSTER

• Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    @Feral I recognize the game box in the corner of that café's hex wall picture. I think. 1812 or possibly 1776?

/Nerdy McNerdface

Also, I've often idly thought how cool a game café would be (I think I came up with the idea on my own, too. Though it is pretty obvious), sort of fantasized about starting one. But I am not the doing type, and now some other people are pretty close to opening one here in Copenhagen. Probably for the best, I fucking hate responsibility and leadership. Also if I ecer started a company I'd want it to somehow be worker-owned and -controlled, in some sort of flat democratical structure. #lolanarchism

jakobagger on
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Making nachos. So hungry.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    @spool32‌ TSMs new mid is a zed MONSTER
    I want to see Nightblue called up to play for them his jungle skills are too strong.

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    @ronya‌ @Evil Multifarious@LoserForHireX‌

Ah, opened an old notebook to scratch out some calculations, and ran across this savage gem of a comment from my adviser on some of my long-ago work:

"If you have an argument for P, but P is false, that's not an argument for almost-P."

MrMister on
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    evilbob wrote: »
    Making nachos. So hungry.

I am hungry too.

I will probably eat a sardine burrito. Life is pain.

• Options
    Eddy wrote: »

I wish I was an elephant.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Things I never thought I'd say: I'm eating fish head soup.
    Other thing I never would've said: I'm enjoying eating fish head soup.

Crazy Portuguese kitchen alchemy.

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »

congrats you made my gchat status

(PA is the source of most of my gchat statuses)

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    My mouth feels like it's being punched in the face by spiciness.

• Options
    jakobagger wrote: »
    @Feral I recognize the game box in the corner of that café's hex wall picture. I think. 1812 or possibly 1776?

/Nerdy McNerdface

Also, I've often idly thought how cool a game café would be (I think I came up with the idea on my own, too. Though it is pretty obvious), sort of fantasized about starting one. But I am not the doing type, and now some other people are pretty close to opening one here in Copenhagen. Probably for the best, I fucking hate responsibility and leadership. Also if I ecer started a company I'd want it to somehow be worker-owned and -controlled, in some sort of flat democratical structure. #lolanarchism

Haven't those been a thing for... like, at least 15 or so years? I remember when I was in junior high school going in to San Francisco with my brother so that we could play Starcraft LAN with each other at the internet cafe. And I definitely did the same thing with my friends and DOTA back in '07 when I was studying abroad in Sydney.

(saying those dates omg I'm almost thirty please halp)

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    My friend did pretty well on American Idol tonight
    She sang Rhiannon by Fleetwood Mac.
    Should make it through the next round after tomorrows results just fine I believe.

Judges had a point but also kinda not.

Like assuming she wins and goes on to a record contract or whatever the prize is and tours and whatnot?

She's probably gonna be playing an instrument guys.

Not to say that developing good stage presence sans instrument is useless but "have to"?

Naw, not really, especially not for someone that is a multi-instrumentalist.

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    ugh i got all caught up trying to fix this, frankly, pedestrian attempt at writing an academic freaking paper and now it's almost 2 and i'm only 25% in

work is gonna suck

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    ugh i got all caught up trying to fix this, frankly, pedestrian attempt at writing an academic freaking paper and now it's almost 2 and i'm only 25% in

work is gonna suck

Bring it to work

Anyone asks questions motion urgently and exasperatedly at the papers in front of you until they go away

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    I need to go to sleep.

I have a test tomorrow.

About the law.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    this paper is shallow and pedantic

• Options
    Organichu wrote: »

I agree on a superficial level

work is gonna suck

Bring it to work

Anyone asks questions motion urgently and exasperatedly at the papers in front of you until they go away

Yeah i wish, i was doing it now cause all i have time to do at work is actual work, which is so so lame

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    The paper is shallow and pedantic or the contents of the monograph written upon the paper?

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    I need to go to sleep.

I have a test tomorrow.

About the law.

Look your teacher in the eye and say "I AM THE LAW!"

• Options
    ok im gonna go bilk from crackers and go to sleep

by crackers i mean white people, gimme all your valuables societal oppressors, or the country club gets the torch

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    I need to go to sleep.

I have a test tomorrow.

About the law.

NO MORE. IT'S THE LAW.

Everything you need to know.

This information may only apply to Australia and is entirely the product of reading a poster about the responsible service of alcohol.

• Options
    I need to go to sleep.

I have a test tomorrow.

About the law.

Just remember, Cinders.

YOU ARE THE LAW!!

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    EtNEZAE.jpg

• Options
    ok im gonna go bilk from crackers and go to sleep

by crackers i mean white people, gimme all your valuables societal oppressors, or the country club gets the torch

Please, please don't hurt me! Just take it!

*hands over checked privilege*

• Options
    BNvVp.jpg

• Options
    @Thomamelas I am having a bad eyesight day so instead of reading the SR5 rules at like a word a minute I have decided to start bulking out my RPG background music playlist project.

I am organizing things by genre and mood - so like, "Cyberpunk - Ambient," "Cyberpunk - Action," etc etc.

Right now the moods I have been using are Ambient, Tension, Action, Epic Action, Creepy/Horror, Bar/Tavern/Club, Romantic, and Inspirational (where appropriate).

The genres i have thought of to include so far are

- cyberpunk
    - generic fantasy
    - space opera
    - urban horror (vampire, etc.: gothy/industrial horror, basically)
    - cinematic horror (call of cthulhu or other stuff where good orchestral music would be appropriate)
    - superheroes
    - generic action/adventure (for stuff like indiana jones, leverage, men in black or whatever)
    - Westerns
    - Star Wars RPGs
    - LOTR RPGs

can you think of any obvious genres or moods that I have missed?

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Jacob, maybe something for low fantasy? Historically grounded folk music type stuff.

• Options
    @Thomamelas I am having a bad eyesight day so instead of reading the SR5 rules at like a word a minute I have decided to start bulking out my RPG background music playlist project.

I am organizing things by genre and mood - so like, "Cyberpunk - Ambient," "Cyberpunk - Action," etc etc.

Right now the moods I have been using are Ambient, Tension, Action, Epic Action, Creepy/Horror, Bar/Tavern/Club, Romantic, and Inspirational (where appropriate).

- cyberpunk
    - generic fantasy
    - space opera
    - cinematic horror (call of cthulhu or other stuff where good orchestral music would be appropriate)
    - superheroes
    - generic action/adventure (for stuff like indiana jones, leverage, men in black or whatever)
    - Westerns
    - Star Wars RPGs
    - LOTR RPGs

Relaxation. For the down time. Martial music.

• Options

- cyberpunk
    - generic fantasy
    - space opera
    - superheroes
    - Westerns
    - Star Wars RPGs
    - LOTR RPGs

I can't really comment on much of this (and I know this isn't really what you are asking), but since it has been on my mind anyway, do you have Digital Mystery Tour added to your cyberpunk stuff?

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    MrMister wrote: »
    @ronya‌ "Evil Multifarious" LoserForHireX‌

Ah, opened an old notebook to scratch out some calculations, and ran across this savage gem of a comment from my adviser on some of my long-ago work:

"If you have an argument for P, but P is false, that's not an argument for almost-P."

i am now curious as to the nature of the intended argument...

I am guessing you were aiming at P or almost P, !P, therefore almost P?

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Jacob, maybe something for low fantasy? Historically grounded folk music type stuff.

this is a good idea; my concern would be finding enough examples of this to bulk out several playlists.

This discussion has been closed.