As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Runnie's Replace's WHUMP! COMAK Thread

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    Didn't Ronnie specifically ask not for another thread to be made? Even spelled out how it would make him feel bad and uncomfortable?

Exactly!

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    I've never had a taco.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    I've never had a taco.

Have you ever truly lived?

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    wait

whoa

hold the thread

never had taco?!

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Given how lacking Mexican food outside of North American can be, it's entirely possible she's not really missing much.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    Given how lacking Mexican food outside of North American can be, it's entirely possible she's not really missing much.

Wait, so North America is the only place to get decent Mexican food?

• Options
    Never had a taco.

There is a taco bell in city centre. But it doesn't look that appealing, and I wonder if thats proper tacos, like SimPerson says.

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Never had a taco.

There is a taco bell in city centre. But it doesn't look that appealing, and I wonder if thats proper tacos, like SimPerson says.

Taco Bell... isn't great. This post is a little closer to the mark.

As for my earlier post, I will admit that I just have been told anecdotally by other Americans and foreigners alike that Mexican food is better here.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin

Wait, so North America is the only place to get decent Mexican food?

well it is geographically closest to mexico

• Options
    That doesn't surprise me! Like you can't get fish and chips that are the same as over here in the US - you guys have been doing Mexican food for a while and got good at it.

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Taco is super common here in Norway

Not so much at restaurants, but most people I know make taco like once a week

It's up there with pizza as one of the most common make together foods

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Man, tacos are overrated. People are just obsessed with them because they're like the mascot of Mexican food. Nearly everything else is better.

Now burritos, that's a potentially excellent meal right there.

McFlynn on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I find hard tacos stressful because I always manage to get the filling everywhere and I just end up eating a plate of fillings only with some crispy taco bits as evidence of my failure.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    3 words.

Crunch

Wrap

Supreme

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    RawrBearRawrBear Registered User regular
    Taco bell is gross.

Ground beef was on sale so I'm probably making tacos soon though... its almost never on sale so I'm actually really excited.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    We have a ton of pretty good Mexican restaurants around here. Probably not like, BEST IN THE WORLD quality or anything, but still, pretty good

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Let's be honest here, it's not real Mexican food. It's Tex-Mex.

Real Mexican food (even Fast Food) would be Tamales or Sopas.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    RawrBearRawrBear Registered User regular
    We have a Chilean place around here that's pretty fantastic. I eat there way more than I probably should.

Its really popular locally so I was laughing when signs went up next door for some chain burrito place. Someone reeealy didn't do their research.

• Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    Let's be honest here, it's not real Mexican food. It's Tex-Mex.

Real Mexican food (even Fast Food) would be Tamales or Sopas.

Indeed, but still delicious
    lordy, I miss San Antonio

• Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    @Liiya if you want to try a taco sometime, Barburrito in Piccadilly Gardens is much much better than Taco Bell, you should go there

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    If I had to choose one nationality of food to eat for the rest of my life, it would be Tex-Mex. I don't care how many different ways they fold that tortilla, it's delicious.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    I've come to prefer New Mexican style over Texas style as time's gone on. So many awesome vegetables and hot green chiles. Totally worth it.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    That doesn't surprise me! Like you can't get fish and chips that are the same as over here in the US - you guys have been doing Mexican food for a while and got good at it.

I'm a pretty big fish a chips fan (actually drove like, an hour out of the way on a road trip just to stop by a coastal fish and chips place that is supposedly one of the best in my state) so this post has made me curious.

What differentiates the fish and chips you get in the UK from the US?

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    I have so many Mexican food opinions, which is funny due to my dislike of much of what goes into American Mexican food.
    Tex mex uses too many peppers. For some reason, even bell peppers bother me, let alone peppers with actual flavor. I am also a huge wimp when it comes to hot and spicy flavors.
    Cal mex seems to use cilantro a lot. I can't stand the stuff. I also see a lot of lime on things, and while I love limes in drinks and desserts, I'm not a huge fan of it on other things.
    I actually can find a lot of things I like to eat at Mexican places. Usually chicken mole if it's not too spicy. I just have to watch for the cilantro.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »

I'm a pretty big fish a chips fan (actually drove like, an hour out of the way on a road trip just to stop by a coastal fish and chips place that is supposedly one of the best in my state) so this post has made me curious.

What differentiates the fish and chips you get in the UK from the US?

That we don't have to drive an hour out of our way to get quality fish and chips.

You can't see it, but imagine me putting on a pair of sunglasses and moonwalking away.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Never had a taco.

Wait...you've been to the US.

Whoever you were hanging out with totally failed you if you didn't get Mexican food.

• Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    I enjoy both Mexican food and Tex-Mex

What bothers me the most is I cannot duplicate Taco Bell meat flavors no matter how I try. ("it's not meat buh huh huh burb blub") so my home made tacos are never as good, even with that taco bell brand seasoning they sell in the grocery store

• Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    Use more cumin.

• Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    Are you using like 80/20, or even 75/25 meat to brown until it falls apart, then leave warming in the fat/spices for 20 minutes? That'd probably duplicate it pretty well.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Yes it's true, I've had real Mexican food and I've had Tex-Mex, and they are definitely not the same. But I love Tex-Mex, so it doesn't really matter that much.

But I don't expect to get good Tex-Mex anywhere but Texas, let alone in Europe.

In terms of junkfood Tex-Mex, Taco Bell is lowest teir, Taco Bueno is an improvement, and Taco Cabana is where you get the really good stuff. I wonder if any of those besides Taco Bell exists outside Texas.

Side note: I felt the need to google Taco Bueno because the Taco Bueno restaurant in Abiliene, TX was a staple of my childhood. They used to have a cave at the front of that restaurant, as well as a nifty gameroom and cartoon theater, so the place had an air of mysticism and beauty in my childhood, and I really liked the food back then, too. I didn't know until now that that restaurant was the first established one for that franchise. Also it was sold to Carl's Jr. in 1996, which explains why the menu items don't taste like I remembered from childhood.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I won't lie I'm a sucker for the burrito chains even though they're nowhere near authentic. Chipotle, freebirds, moe's, mission burrito, whatever. They're all yummy and usually my go-to for takeout Mexican.

There's so many great options for full service restaurants here though, both tex mex and authentic.

Thanks Texas.

• Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    BYToady wrote: »
    Are you using like 80/20, or even 75/25 meat to brown until it falls apart, then leave warming in the fat/spices for 20 minutes? That'd probably duplicate it pretty well.

I tend to use 73/27 for everything because it cooks softer. maybe i'll try slow cooking it next time

• Options
    Hermano wrote: »
    @Liiya if you want to try a taco sometime, Barburrito in Piccadilly Gardens is much much better than Taco Bell, you should go there

I forget we have a few Mancurians here, this is an excellent recommendation - thanks!!

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    I used to do this. I probably still do it:
    2012-08-08-Imperfect-Strangers.jpg
    You're a person I've never met and know nothing about. Therefore, I hate and fear you.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    if your burrito has rice in it

just

no

stop wasting my time

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    if your burrito has rice in it

just

no

stop wasting my time

This is incorrect.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    nah bro

sorry you like flavorless filler in your stupid burritos

• Options
    edited March 2014
    The tortilla is the thing that should be filling you up! Stop adding more fill-up items! It should be filled with experiences

(I don't actually care how you like your burrito, I just like mine rice-less!)

HugmasterGeneral on
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Oh God

THere's gotta be a place in Toronto where I can get some decent tamales, right

Holy shit I love tamales

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Ronnie if you did a signing over here I would go to it.

I would bring you nugs.

This discussion has been closed.