As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Memorial [Chat]

• MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    Zephiran wrote: »
    All of that said, I'll be taking an extended stay in the land of the dead from now on.

Earned it

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    The loudest reaction to the rift/facebook thing annoys me to an unreasonable degree.

I mean my reaction was "...wait what? I... hmm. That seems kinda odd."

But then I try and find more info on it and it's nothing but tinfoil hat territory as far as the eye can see :\

Tycho has a pretty measured news post about this on the main page if you're interested.

Yeah I saw that and that's kind where I'm at.

But there's a lot of the sky is falling going around.

• HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    The loudest reaction to the rift/facebook thing annoys me to an unreasonable degree.

But then I try and find more info on it and it's nothing but tinfoil hat territory as far as the eye can see :\

It's gonna take a while for neckbeards to cease their bristling and for calmer heads to prevail and people who actually understand things and get around to talking about stuff.
    But this is gonna be like ME3 all over again, for the next few years no mention of the rift or facebook will be let slip by without someone letting everyone know just how terrible this deal was.

sig.gif
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    Apparently among many other things, he tried to buy automatic weapons and shoulder fired missiles from a Muslim separatist group in the Phillipines, for a third party (who turned out to be an FBI agent) in exchange for campaign contributions.

Oh also this guy was/is a very prominent gun control advocate in the US.

Huh, so it is even odder than it first sounded

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    I mentioned it before but the best part about the Facebook/Oculus VR stuff is people who seem to think because they kickstarted the DK1 they hold some kind of stock in the company and have a right to be outraged or something.

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    log into okcupid for the first time in three months and my profile must have been flagged somehow because immediately, as I watched, a parade of cat-sweatshirt women with match percentages in the low thirties started swarming my profile like flies on meat

sorry, ladies. I have new glasses. I am too good for you now.

rRwz9.gif
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    log into okcupid for the first time in three months and my profile must have been flagged somehow because immediately, as I watched, a parade of cat-sweatshirt women with match percentages in the low thirties started swarming my profile like flies on meat

Have you not enough love for both?

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Kalkino wrote: »

I have no love at all for cat-sweatshirt women.

This is a phenomenon I may need to explain. They are a certain species of comparatively harmless Christian women who "love Jesus and my family!!!" and invariably claim that the first thing that people notice about them is "my smile! And that I love to laugh!!!"

This is never, ever true. The first thing people notice about them is their unflattering dome of permed hair and the sweatshirt (worn in all seasons) with an intensely tacky puffy-paint picture of a cat on it.

They are always super eager to start families and have profile names like "lookin4luv123" and I am like MOVE ON THERE IS NO LUV HERE

rRwz9.gif
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    They just want to trap you into a relationship Jacob.

https://twitter.com/shit_rbtc_says

this is the best twitter acct ever
    many people who *get* bitcoin & it's implications also have the intelligence to ponder mercury in vaccines damaging children

Yup, seems accurate.

sig.gif
  • MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular

Bitcoin will end the cancer which is taxation started by the false kings of england.

fantastic

Some of them just make me feel sorry for them, though.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    HerrCron wrote: »

many people who *get* bitcoin & it's implications also have the intelligence to ponder mercury in vaccines damaging children

Yup, seems accurate.

That one really leapt out at me.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    And so begins a morning of pain and frustration of trying to buy tickets for the Kate Bush shows.

This is a phenomenon I may need to explain. They are a certain species of comparatively harmless Christian women who "love Jesus and my family!!!" and invariably claim that the first thing that people notice about them is "my smile! And that I love to laugh!!!"

This is never, ever true. The first thing people notice about them is their unflattering dome of permed hair and the sweatshirt (worn in all seasons) with an intensely tacky puffy-paint picture of a cat on it.

They are always super eager to start families and have profile names like "lookin4luv123" and I am like MOVE ON THERE IS NO LUV HERE

I just wrote out a very insulting joke response that you should give in those situations but upon re-reading it no, that would make you a monster. And also me for being the asshole who wrote it. But I mean mostly that second part because it's ok if you're a monster as long as it doesn't reflect poorly on me.

What I'm saying is I should never ever sign up for okcupid because I would be a criminal

Oh, well thanks, I did totally misunderstand that point. You are in Kansas right? I'd assume that you have a higher number of that kind of person than I encounter.

That being said I can't talk, I was asked to supply names of Sikh and Pakistani men looking for marriage yesterday. I'm a recruiter now for the informal matchmakers it seems.

Exit plan to bankruptcy.

Exit plan to bankruptcy.

Krugerrands are better, you can put them in a hole in the ground before the barbarians invade and make you pay taxes.

In the last new minutes I have made four posts, none of which I am particularly proud of, composed one post that upon reading it made me think"ok well that's just being mean for no reason, and way too mean on top of that" and one of which was just plain dumb because it amounted to olol necro thread

clearly it is bed time ((after I finish this beer and sing (poorly) at least two more songs in rock band))

g'night [chat]

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Oh man so in my knitting group, one of the old ladies brings her husband along because she can't drive. He's an abrasive jerk.

She's talking about what's going on in her life, and mentions that she's going to the doctor next week. Now it's obvious she doesn't want to talk about it, so the conversation moves on.

Then her husband blurts out, "THERE'S SOMETHING WRONG WITH HER VAGINA!"

Awkward...

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    @feral @moniker @hamurabi @eddy
    The authors lived for a year in a “party” dorm in a large midwestern flagship public university (not mine) and kept up with the women in the dorm till after they had graduated college. The thesis of the book is that the university essentially facilitates (seemingly knowingly, and in some aspects strategically) a party pathway through college, which works reasonably well for students who come from very privileged backgrounds. The facilitatory methods include: reasonably scrupulous enforcement of alcohol bans in the dorms (thus enhancing the capacity of the fraternities to monopolize control of illegal drinking and, incidentally, forcing women to drink in environments where they are more vulnerable to sexual assault); providing easy majors which affluent students can take which won’t interfere with their partying, and which will lead to jobs for them, because they have connections in the media or the leisure industries that will enable them to get jobs without good credentials; and assigning students to dorms based on choice (my students confirm that dorms have reputations as party, or nerdy, or whatever, dorms that ensure that they retain their character over time, despite 100% turnover in residents every year).

The problem is that other students (all their subjects are women), who do not have the resources to get jobs in the industries to which the easy majors orient them, and who lack the wealth to keep up with the party scene, and who simply cannot afford to have the low gpas that would be barriers to their future employment, but which are fine for affluent women, get caught up in the scene. They are, in addition, more vulnerable to sexual assault, and less insulated (because they lack family money) against the serious risks associated with really screwing up. The authors tell stories of students seeking upward social mobility switching their majors from sensible professional majors to easy majors that lead to jobs available only through family contacts, not through credentials. Nobody is alerting these students to the risks they are taking. So the class inequalities at entry are exacerbated by the process. Furthermore, the non-party women on the party floor are, although reasonably numerous, individually isolated—they feel like losers, not being able to keep up with the heavy demands of the party scene. The authors document that the working class students who thrive are those who transfer to regional colleges near their birth homes.

hmmm.

(1) It's from Crooked Timber, which is the canonical ancient left-wing academic blog, but (2) wow does this thesis feel like something out of Charles Murray's latest

aRkpc.gif
    Oh man so in my knitting group, one of the old ladies brings her husband along because she can't drive. He's an abrasive jerk.

She's talking about what's going on in her life, and mentions that she's going to the doctor next week. Now it's obvious she doesn't want to talk about it, so the conversation moves on.

Then her husband blurts out, "THERE'S SOMETHING WRONG WITH HER VAGINA!"

Awkward...

Best response: Ugh I know, right?

Alternatively: You noticed too?

Alternatively: Are you talking about the smell or the texture because quite frankly both are off.

Alternatively: No that's just for you, it's gravy for the rest of us.

Alternatively: ohmygodIshouldgotobed

Refresh, fill in details, submit, crash, refresh, fill in details, submit, crash, forever.

@casual disguises himself as a yoof

tumblr_lcualn99HN1qbwakso1_1280.jpg

aRkpc.gif
    Corgi is street tough yo.

Got to a final submit page, then it crashed. Now the entire run is sold out. Rage.

• HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    I hate when I have to get up to pee but can't fall asleep again

Grumble

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    I hate when I have to get up to pee but can't fall asleep again

Grumble

Don't dream Pee

ronya wrote: »

Tough on Corgis.
    Tough on the causes of Corgis.

sig.gif
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

Tough on Corgis.
    Tough on the causes of Corgis.

But corgis are the cause of corgis! Your second sentence is redundant.

All I wanted was tickets to see the most elusive, brilliant singer songwriter in the world at her only concert dates for three and a bit decades. Is that so much to ask?

If ever there was a time for God to win back my lapsed Catholic faith, that was it. You blew it, God.

Jerk.

Bogart wrote: »
    If ever there was a time for God to win back my lapsed Catholic faith, that was it. You blew it, God.

Jerk.

Note to self: Kate Bush is Bogart's weak point

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Are Kate Bush and lily allen not the same person

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Uugggghhh...

It's been a long-ass time since I've had a night like that. It felt like I was waking up every 10 minutes. Nevermind that I couldn't fall asleep till midnight, and my tossing and turning.. just..

stupid sinuses. I was feeling dizzy yesterday too. I think today's a good day not to risk anything with work.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    http://youtu.be/0gjsoSY18kg

What even is this?

• Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular

An expression of the ineffability of times past

The past is indeed a foreign country. What would they do without hoodies?

aRkpc.gif
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular

It's gonna take a while for neckbeards to cease their bristling and for calmer heads to prevail and people who actually understand things and get around to talking about stuff.
    But this is gonna be like ME3 all over again, for the next few years no mention of the rift or facebook will be let slip by without someone letting everyone know just how terrible this deal was.

Disagree. For one thing, sometime in the next 1.5 years there will actually be an Oculus Rift. It will be amazing since everyone already agrees even the low-res dev kits are amazing (I'm checking one out on Monday in anticipation for getting my DK2).

At that point, those people will be forced to shut the hell up, and also will be completely stupid if they actually try and boycott the product.

This discussion has been closed.