As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Memorial [Chat]

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    That would be the point that it becomes improperganda.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    HL2 is probably the only "traditional" FPS I ever enjoyed, not counting RPG-FPS hybrids and puzzle-FPS games like Portal...

Or Team Fortress 2 until it became weird.

Okay, i guess i enjoy FPSes a whole lot more than I thought.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    I played Half-Life 2 until I was in a hovercraft thing and then I stopped because I have no need of that.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Oh shit RE Lawnmower Man
    The computer-generated imagery (CGI) created for the film originated from the American developer Angel Studios (later becoming Rockstar San Diego) who would go on to be known for the Midnight Club series of video games

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    That would be the point that it becomes improperganda.

Is an Improper gander a silly goose?

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Looking back at HL2 now, the thing that jumps out is how heavily scripted it is.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Haphazard wrote: »
    Where's the point where propaganda stops being propaganda and turns into plain, simple lying?

i think the definition of propaganda as we understand it is it's sort of lying by definition

or if not lying it is the distortion of truth to push a particular reality as definitive

• Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    I played Half-Life 2 until I was in a hovercraft thing and then I stopped because I have no need of that.

Yeah, I never finished it for similar reasons. Watched a friend play the rest of it. Meh.
    Pretty, for the time, though.

Haphazard on
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    FPS game sbetter then HL2 from the same time period

Metroid Prime on Consoles and FEAR on PC

FEAR is tied for the best shotgun ever (Doom 1/2 are the others)

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    it's pretty upfront about its intentions actually

they're just not intentions you're supposed to openly have in this post-1945 world

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    i really should shave

scrubby facial hair has reached itchy levels

ahhh unemployment

• Options
    Oh yeah, the first FEAR was great. But for some reason I never liked the sequels as much.

• Options
    Oh, hey...

According to the new Dota 2 Leaderboards, the best player in the Americas is a Canadian.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Oh, hey...

According to the new Dota 2 Leaderboards, the best player in the Americas is a Canadian.

Yea but its DotA, being the best at DotA is like having a rash on your junk.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    I want to play a turn based first person shooter with rpg elements.

• Options
    the rules are stacked in favour of the United States and the victorious great powers. they're stacked that way precisely to frustrate the ambitions of irredentists who find themselves dissatisfied by the balance of power in Europe.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    half life 2 was like do this nonsense because reasons maybe we'll tell you why later i dunno we're trying to be arty

here is a man who is going to talk to you for several minutes about absolutely nothing of import

rather than frame this as a cinematically interesting cutscene, we're simply going to lock you in the room and allow you to entertain yourself by hopping up and down because freedom

now you may move on to this NPC, whose sole reason for existence is to immediately tell you to find another NPC

• Options
    Oh, hey...

Wrong.

it's like being the best at having rashes on your junk.

Having a rash is easy, being the best at having rashes ain't. believe me, i tried.

You think rash competition are easy, right? "Oh, i'll just show off my impressive rash" but then you see the rashes on the dudes you're competing against and goddamn, you'll think. Goddamn these dudes have amazing rashes.

In conclusion, having a rash opens a world of contrast and grey areas. Thank you.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Gotta say, I hope Valve is actually basically working on making the world's best VR FPS. In Episode 2 it was noticeable when Alyx could blindfire from cover but I couldn't.

• Options
    ronya wrote: »

they're just not intentions you're supposed to openly have in this post-1945 world

well

are we claiming now that Russia actually gave two shits about the populations they planted in eastern block countries during the soviet union era? they weren't just a flimsy pretext for other strategic and geo-political goals?

even aside from the crucial black sea navy base in the crimea, by seizing the peninsula they also just took the majority of Ukraines black sea territory

there's oil in them thar waters

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    This bullshit with Russia makes me sad, because it's liable to completely fuck up LEO access at the moment.

Really need SpaceX to man-rate the Dragon since the chances of being allowed any cooperation with China are, I guess, even lower.

• Options
    Casual wrote: »

well

are we claiming now that Russia actually gave two shits about the populations they planted in eastern block countries during the soviet union era? they weren't just a flimsy pretext for other strategic and geo-political goals?

even aside from the crucial black sea navy base in the crimea, by seizing the peninsula they also just took the majority of Ukraines black sea territory

I think the nationalists do care quite a bit about their fellow Russians, yes

the oil just provides an impetus for an alliance with oiligarchs

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    This bullshit with Russia makes me sad, because it's liable to completely fuck up LEO access at the moment.

Really need SpaceX to man-rate the Dragon since the chances of being allowed any cooperation with China are, I guess, even lower.

being blocked from baikonur might restart the space race. eh.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    Oh, hey...

Wrong.

it's like being the best at having rashes on your junk.

Having a rash is easy, being the best at having rashes ain't. believe me, i tried.

You think rash competition are easy, right? "Oh, i'll just show off my impressive rash" but then you see the rashes on the dudes you're competing against and goddamn, you'll think. Goddamn these dudes have amazing rashes.

In conclusion, having a rash opens a world of contrast and grey areas. Thank you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FONN-0uoTHI

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Comparing Metroid and HL2 doesn't really work for me, because Metroid barely bothers to have a story or characterisation. Which is fine, but it makes it a difficult choice for comparisons with HL2.

• Options

well

this is where we have a difference of opinion, i think it's the other way round

nationalist rhetoric is just a convenient excuse and an easy way to rally public support, i don't think it's the actual motivation behind Russias action

• Options
    although I don't think they're actually going to hold spaceflight hostage

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    HL2 is bunk because no matter how Valve tries to spin it Gordon being a disembodied pair of hands and a gun was dumb especially when in a vehicle and you have no real forward point of reference other then the front of the vehicle because you didnt even get hands then.

And the cutscene issue is this as well.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Didn't they just start a joint US/Russian team from there some days ago? (Which couldn't doch to the ISS, IIRC).

Edit: DOCK, godddamit!

Haphazard on
  • Options

well

nationalist rhetoric is just a convenient excuse and an easy way to rally public support, i don't think it's the actual motivation behind Russias action

putin has been purging assorted oligarchs and relying instead on conservatives and nationalists

public support does matter; russia is not so centralized or so stable that putin can just wholly ignore public dissatisfaction at the degree of kleptocracy

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular

being blocked from baikonur might restart the space race. eh.

Ha.

haha.

• Options
    It's almost April and it's STILL FUCKING SNOWING.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    FPS game sbetter then HL2 from the same time period

Metroid Prime on Consoles and FEAR on PC

FEAR is tied for the best shotgun ever (Doom 1/2 are the others)

haha, no

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    i know it's going to be a good day when I start off furious

• Options
    Anyone here played "The Last Remnant"?

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    HL2 is bunk because no matter how Valve tries to spin it Gordon being a disembodied pair of hands and a gun was dumb especially when in a vehicle and you have no real forward point of reference other then the front of the vehicle because you didnt even get hands then.

And the cutscene issue is this as well.

I barely noticed the 'no hands' thing, so I guess for me it's an utterly irrelevant complaint. If I had I doubt I would have gone from loving the game to WHAT FRESH HELL IS THIS.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Haphazard wrote: »
    Where's the point where propaganda stops being propaganda and turns into plain, simple lying?

That's a separate axis.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    i had a good relaxing evening yesterday

not very healthy but o well

poo
  • Options

well

putin has been purging assorted oligarchs and relying instead on conservatives and nationalists

public support does matter; russia is not so centralized or so stable that putin can just wholly ignore public dissatisfaction at the degree of kleptocracy

i don't disagree with you there

point is though the nationalists are a means to an end

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    my throat feels weirdish

poo
This discussion has been closed.